List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Draft, Trade, Free Agency and Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I say if cerra leaves. Try to get 2 picks in top 25. Obviously giving something back. And if it’s true Lobb wants out try to get pick 5 out if the Suns… not worth it but with 2 years to go on a deal they’ll have to over pay

Sounding more and more unlikely Cerra sticking around.
Wouldn’t mind Constable as a replacement. Not exactly an upgrade up but does add some depth.

A lot of people won’t agree with this but I’ll say it anyway
If Cerra leaves I hope Freo keep tucker. I’ll admit he hasnt had a great season but people need to remember he ripped his hammy bad last year. Was playing good footy before then as an midfielder. Give him a full pre season and reckon he’ll be a good player again

I thought the rule was if the club delists you you are a free agent in that year's free agent window and then in all "subsequent" years
Free agency for life is only when you come out of contract. At the next free agency window he won't be deemed to have come out of contract.

If he is picked up when he next is out of contract he will be an unrestricted free agent.

Not having access to Motlop until pick 40 is not ideal but not the end of the world. We need to be strategic about who we pick up and not select someone just because they're in our academy and 'cheap'.

If Motlop gets 'bid on' in the 20s, regardless of the discount, we're spending a reasonable amount of points on a small forward which is probably not our number 1 priority. Motlop could certaintly slip to pick 40. He's 176cm and up against the Vic boys who are perennially overrated. If he lasts till pick 40, perfect, it's a no-brainer to select Motlop, but I'm not so sure if costs a pick in the 20s or early 30s.

Reece Conca opts out of Dockers Quarantine life to be available for Peel.

His papers are stamped aren't they.

Free agency for life is only when you come out of contract. At the next free agency window he won't be deemed to have come out of contract.

If he is picked up when he next is out of contract he will be an unrestricted free agent.

I remember a few drafts ago a bunch of clubs listed a bunch of previously listed players before the rookie draft. I think Shane Mumford was one of them. Zac Clarke may have been another. There was a few others though.

Pretty sure no one used this rule last year so I’m not sure it still exists.

It’d all be dependent on Schenslog being overlooked at the National and Pre Season Drafts by every club in the competition though.

Not having access to Motlop until pick 40 is not ideal but not the end of the world. We need to be strategic about who we pick up and not select someone just because they're in our academy and 'cheap'.

If Motlop gets 'bid on' in the 20s, regardless of the discount, we're spending a reasonable amount of points on a small forward which is probably not our number 1 priority. Motlop could certaintly slip to pick 40. He's 176cm and up against the Vic boys who are perennially overrated. If he lasts till pick 40, perfect, it's a no-brainer to select Motlop, but I'm not so sure if costs a pick in the 20s or early 30s.

motlop into the top 25 of Twomeys rankings
seriously unlikely we will land him.

Van Rooyen sliding tho, wouldn’t mind him available with our 2nd

The money figure for Cerra suggests he is leadership material. You don’t offer that sort of coin unless they are valued.
Genuine question who should be Captain next?
Mundy just needs to play, for me it’s Cerra or Serong after Fyfe.
I like Brayshaw, but just seems too nice?
Serong on SportFM speaks very well.
Forward/mids is a major worry now, Motlop almost becomes priceless to the team, our small forwards don’t score and are poor in the air.
Forget about the window, Bulldogs are building a dynasty team.
Norton, JUH, Darcy, Weightman, bringing in Bruce was also smart.
We know first hand from the Hawks that you won’t defensively stop that sort of spread of goal kickers.
You have to nail your shots, chances and we are at rock bottom for forwards.
Cerra isn’t a leader’s taint.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember a few drafts ago a bunch of clubs listed a bunch of previously listed players before the rookie draft. I think Shane Mumford was one of them. Zac Clarke may have been another. There was a few others though.

Pretty sure no one used this rule last year so I’m not sure it still exists.

It’d all be dependent on Schenslog being overlooked at the National and Pre Season Drafts by every club in the competition though.
I believe this rule was brought in to allow GWS to bring Mumford back in the supplemental selection period. It basically meant a player who had spent a year out of the game could be relisted as a rookie without needing to be drafted between December and the start of the season - so a group of players withdrew from the draft/didn't nominate and walked straight to their club of choice.

I don't know if this is still in effect.

How is it this metro indigenous thing just pops up now?
It's been talked about for a couple of years now. The WA and SA clubs were proposing that ALL indigenous talent would be unavailable to them until after pick 40 with the inclusion of the metro talent - since the East and Northern clubs were so worried about the standard of the metro indigenous players.

Elders were rightfully upset that indigenous young people weren't able to access the pathways if they lived in the city.

It's been talked about for a couple of years now. The WA and SA clubs were proposing that ALL indigenous talent would be unavailable to them until after pick 40 with the inclusion of the metro talent - since the East and Northern clubs were so worried about the standard of the metro indigenous players.

Elders were rightfully upset that indigenous young people weren't able to access the pathways if they lived in the city.

Yes that was my understanding - this is being pushed by West Coast and ourselves based upon guidance/wishes by the indigenous community. This is more about getting a greater number of indigenous kids rather than getting "free hits" in the draft. What it potentially achieves is a greater number of indigenous players getting a go, because it increases the ease with which a large number can get into the system and get drafted. Jesse Motlop was always a high chance of getting drafted by a team, so it really isn't about him.

I think the broader issue here is not so much the NGA, but the F/S arrangements that clearly advantage (and will advantage for a long time, if not forever) Victorian teams. However, it is so treasured by the AFL community, that it is unlikely to be changed. And the AFL was never about equality anyway as I keep pointing out.

Take a philosophical perspective on this; if Jesse Motlop was not ever linked to Fremantle in any shape or fashion, would we even slitting our wrists about him? The reality is that he is not even in the focus group that Bell listed (ie. Tall Forwards / Rucks or wing/half backs), if he got bid on at 25 say we probably wouldn't match with 29 anyway (if we had the ability to do so).

Take a philosophical perspective on this; if Jesse Motlop was not ever linked to Fremantle in any shape or fashion, would we even slitting our wrists about him? The reality is that he is not even in the focus group that Bell listed (ie. Tall Forwards / Rucks or wing/half backs), if he got bid on at 25 say we probably wouldn't match with 29 anyway (if we had the ability to do so).
I still remember the hue and cry on here when Dillon O'Reilly just failed to qualify as a father / son pick - people were calling for the club to lobby the AFL to allow us to pick him up. Turns out we picked him up for nothing and he was never an AFL player anyway.

Sometimes these guys are not the messiah, they are just naughty little boys.

“Veteran defender Reece Conca will be the only Fremantle player available for Peel for the next two rounds after the rest of the Dockers squad opted to go into self-quarantine to remain eligible for AFL selection.

Conca has personal reasons to remain in the community, rather than accept the rigid isolation rules that will require Fremantle players to remain at home for all but training and matches.”

“Veteran defender Reece Conca will be the only Fremantle player available for Peel for the next two rounds after the rest of the Dockers squad opted to go into self-quarantine to remain eligible for AFL selection.

Conca has personal reasons to remain in the community, rather than accept the rigid isolation rules that will require Fremantle players to remain at home for all but training and matches.”
Brutal game. Would have preferred to have kept Conca over half a dozen crabs we have on the boil.

Maybe a bit too early to start this discussion but this trade season is going to be a huge challenge but also an opportunity which will define the clubs future. I think it's safe to say these names are not our b22:
Acres*
Banfield
Bewley
Blakely
Conca
Crowden
Colyer
Duman*
Giro
Hughes*
Thomas
Tucker*
Watson
The names with * next to them are solid depth options we should keep on our list. None of these are finals players which just goes to show how much work we have to do to clean this list up. All imo btw so would appreciate feedback instead of downvotes because you disagree.

Given Cerra is Victorian, next priorities would be Serong and young contracted until end of 2023. 4 seasons, like Cerra, at Fremantle. Very interesting
The midfield has two main problems, Cez leaving and an overreliance on Mundy and Fyfe. We need to give time to Chapman, Valente and Noddy to see what they've got to fix these two issues.

Maybe a bit too early to start this discussion but this trade season is going to be a huge challenge but also an opportunity which will define the clubs future. I think it's safe to say these names are not our b22:
Acres*
Banfield
Bewley
Blakely
Conca
Crowden
Colyer
Duman*
Giro
Hughes*
Thomas
Tucker*
Watson
The names with * next to them are solid depth options we should keep on our list. None of these are finals players which just goes to show how much work we have to do to clean this list up. All imo btw so would appreciate feedback instead of downvotes because you disagree.

You always have to balance these kind of discussions with the draft capital we have available. I see very little value in getting rid of fringe players like Crowden and Bewley if we're only going to replace them with late speculative picks (bar NGA availability obviously).

A few of those players likely have their papers stamped but a gradual list turnover seems better than slashing and burning. Hopefully we maintain our improved recent drafting to keep the list moving in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back