Not open for further replies.
B: Joel Hamling, Griffin Logue, Luke Ryan

HB: Hayden Young, Alex Pearce, Jordan Clark

C: Darcy Tucker, David Mundy, James Aish

HF: Sam Switkowski, Matt Taberner, Nat Fyfe

F: Lachie Schultz, Rory Lobb, Michael Walters

FOLL: Sean Darcy, Caleb Serong, Andrew Brayshaw

I/C: Nathan Wilson, Brennan Cox, Liam Henry, Will Brodie

We’re getting some good depth if everyone is fit - add Chapman, Traecy, Walker (wouldn’t be surprised see him in the side given his run/end of the year form), Sturt, Frederick, Crowden, plus picks 6,8,19 and a developing O’Driscoll and Valente to the mix and suddenly you are saying who the f**k is Acres and Blakey as they rot away at Peel instead of stinking it up for Freo.

I don’t like the wing set up he has. Tucker really needs to improve or GTFO and put Clark there.

Switta out for a fit Sturt

Following on from my 50+ club game players post ... it's worth noting that since the end of the 2016 season, when we decided to rebuild, we have lost a total of 27 x 50+ club game players through delistings, retirements or trade.
8 of those are now playing with other AFL clubs; Cerra, Crozier, Collins, de Boer, B.Hill, Langdon, Neale, Weller.

Meanwhile, since 2016, Freo have added just 6 x 50+ club gamers; Brayshaw, Cox, Darcy, Hamling, Ryan, Wilson.
(NB: we have other 50+ club game players, but they were already on our list by 2016).

While Freo have been struggling to find good consistent long term performers, we have been allowing experienced players to leave.
And I expect I will be adding Hogan to that list in a few years time and again this trade just gone, we looked as though we were going to lose Lobb aswell.

For me, this has been a major concern of the Freo's List management (when it struck me at the end of 2016) and I believe needs to be addressed if Freo truly wish to be premiership contenders in the near future.
Love the breakdown Purple Eyes ans wholeheartedly agree. It can seen across sport in general - a well drilled team where everyone knows not only what they're doing, but what their teammates are doing can often go the whole way, even when unfancied (from Soccer the 79/80 Notts Forrest side is a great example, as was Leicester more recently). I'm interested to hear your thoughts on how a coach change affects this - is it a full reset or only partial due to the built up team chemistry? Also how important is it for sub sides to utilise the same tactics and game plan to allow replacements to "plug and play" as it were (the great Barcelona sides of the last 15 or so years are prime proponents of this), and does this allow that 50+ game rule to be modified across affiliated teams?

Thank you and keep up the great work!

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Part of Tuckers draft notes:

When in the midfield, Tucker is a very outside player. He uses his pace to jet away from the contest and hit a target up forward. However he has at times struggled to find the ball on the inside, a the key reason why he has played primarily on a back flank.

Watching his draft highlights he played wing the entire 19’s carnival, let’s just give him that commitment to playing him there & back him in.

Hi guys if Chesser or Butler or Roberts slides to our 19(21) are they worth using that pick? Very likely they available.. if we are happy with those we have 2 kpf with 8 and 10?

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
I would pass on Rachele early and consider Butler at 19 if we are fixated on a small forward.

I would be happy with Chesser but probably opt for Hough as a winger. I like his versatility.

When in the midfield, Tucker is a very outside player. He uses his pace to jet away from the contest and hit a target up forward. However he has at times struggled to find the ball on the inside, a the key reason why he has played primarily on a back flank.

Watching his draft highlights he played wing the entire 19’s carnival, let’s just give him that commitment to playing him there & back him in.
I've heard Tucker in interviews say his preferred position was outside mid/wing which he played pre-draft.

In 2000, the bombers won the flag with an average games played of 59.4 and an average age of 24.

In 2021, our list was 58.2 and 23.9 respectively.
It's the playing 22 average age that's key. The list age can be informative, but obviously it's who's turning out on the park that is key for W/L. In 2000 Essendon had a mass of players who had been part of the '93 premiership, plus a couple of fortune picks in Lloyd and Lucas who were 22yo.

Around 24.5 AVG age is a key line for teams on the park. Teams over that mark will generally best teams under it. The bigger the difference between the two teams the more lopsided the win tally becomes.

Albeit talent and innovative gamestyles are possible moderating factors. And if your experienced core is rock solid and hitting peak form.

Following on from my 50+ club game players post ... it's worth noting that since the end of the 2016 season, when we decided to rebuild, we have lost a total of 27 x 50+ club game players through delistings, retirements or trade.
8 of those are now playing with other AFL clubs; Cerra, Crozier, Collins, de Boer, B.Hill, Langdon, Neale, Weller.

Meanwhile, since 2016, Freo have added just 6 x 50+ club gamers; Brayshaw, Cox, Darcy, Hamling, Ryan, Wilson.
(NB: we have other 50+ club game players, but they were already on our list by 2016).

While Freo have been struggling to find good consistent long term performers, we have been allowing experienced players to leave.
And I expect I will be adding Hogan to that list in a few years time and again this trade just gone, we looked as though we were going to lose Lobb aswell.

For me, this has been a major concern of the Freo's List management (when it struck me at the end of 2016) and I believe needs to be addressed if Freo truly wish to be premiership contenders in the near future.

Doctored statistics a little bit toward a viewpoint, nevertheless is something to consider for sure. I would also argue that most successful premiership sides usually have several top five picks playing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love the breakdown Purple Eyes ans wholeheartedly agree. It can seen across sport in general - a well drilled team where everyone knows not only what they're doing, but what their teammates are doing can often go the whole way, even when unfancied (from Soccer the 79/80 Notts Forrest side is a great example, as was Leicester more recently). I'm interested to hear your thoughts on how a coach change affects this - is it a full reset or only partial due to the built up team chemistry? Also how important is it for sub sides to utilise the same tactics and game plan to allow replacements to "plug and play" as it were (the great Barcelona sides of the last 15 or so years are prime proponents of this), and does this allow that 50+ game rule to be modified across affiliated teams?

Thank you and keep up the great work!

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

One of my early realisations of the importance of team cohesion came from hearing Ross Lyon talk about how Carlton won their premiership in 1995, losing just 2 games for the season. He credited Carlton's success to keeping a stable team with very few injuries.
On closer inspection, I saw how Carlton had 9 players play all 25 games for the season (similar to Melbourne this year with 10).
Carlton also had 15 players in their premiership team who had played 50+ club games.
In 1994, the season before their premiership, they finished 2nd on the ladder but got knocked out of the finals with a team that had 12 x 50+ club game players.

Your questions about the effect of coaching tactics, game plans and plug and play also interests me, but it is harder to statistically quantify any theories with that.
I actually became an inaugural Freo supporter because I highly valued Gerard Neesham's coaching.
His coaching style which came with proven success in the WAFL, copped much criticism in AFL circles (at the time). But I truly believe if Neesham had have had the cattle and enough skilled players, his coaching would have brought Freo early success.
That is, coaching alone won't win premierships ... just look at recent Hawthorn/Clarkson seasons, Richmond in 2021, etc...
To state the bleeding obvious, it is not one thing that makes a premiership team. I just believe that my 50+ club game players stat is just one important ingredient of the recipe.

One of my early realisations of the importance of team cohesion came from hearing Ross Lyon talk about how Carlton won their premiership in 1995, losing just 2 games for the season. He credited Carlton's success to keeping a stable team with very few injuries.
On closer inspection, I saw how Carlton had 9 players play all 25 games for the season (similar to Melbourne this year with 10).
Carlton also had 15 players in their premiership team who had played 50+ club games.
In 1994, the season before their premiership, they finished 2nd on the ladder but got knocked out of the finals with a team that had 12 x 50+ club game players.

Your questions about the effect of coaching tactics, game plans and plug and play also interests me, but it is harder to statistically quantify any theories with that.
I actually became an inaugural Freo supporter because I highly valued Gerard Neesham's coaching.
His coaching style which came with proven success in the WAFL, copped much criticism in AFL circles (at the time). But I truly believe if Neesham had have had the cattle and enough skilled players, his coaching would have brought Freo early success.
That is, coaching alone won't win premierships ... just look at recent Hawthorn/Clarkson seasons, Richmond in 2021, etc...
To state the bleeding obvious, it is not one thing that makes a premiership team. I just believe that my 50+ club game players stat is just one important ingredient of the recipe.

If Neesham had 1 quality KPF during his time we would of played finals. Kicking it to guys like Hunter, Dan Parker and Michael Brown wasn't ideal.

if all our key defenders could get a good run they're best 22. so assuming everyone's fit who's out? do we move cox fwd or move logue around?
Logue is the best negator of quick small forwards we have by daylight. Cox should rotate forward more. We will see how Hamling goes in his comeback. I'm hoping for the best but to say he is a certainty to come back as good as before his injury is certainly not true. There have been a few comments about how Young could be turned into an inside mid over summer by Brayshaw and others. Logue playing on smalls and also going for his marks on smaller players would help that happen.

Pace? Tucker? Not so sure about that, at least now that he is carrying a fair bit of muscle.

Bell has mentioned potential DFA in numerous interviews. Wonder who we're looking at?

Thoughts?
Brander and hopefully Blake Schlensog.There was a rumour we could have interest in Tom Lynch at Adelaide if he was delisted so we would pick him up as a delisted free agent. Lynch still averaged 18 possessions a game in 2021. He is 31 but incredibly fit as he covers a heap of ground. He's 193cm and wouldn't be the worst option as a player to have on our list if we drafted another young tall forward or two so we didnt have to expose the draftees until they were ready.

Last edited:
Pace? Tucker? Not so sure about that, at least now that he is carrying a fair bit of muscle.
Tucker's always been quick. He is certainly fast at training in sprint drills. Like the post you responded to said when he was drafted he was considered a purely outside mid or half back who used his pace to advantage. i think he should loose some muscle mass over the preseason and get back to being an outside player like he was originally.

Collins never played 50 games ….. should of played 150 but alas not to be

Anyway as far as the 50+ marker goes it’s a reasonable assumption but as per usual when someone is trying to make a point where is the flipside ie how many teams have had 13+ 50 gamers but been absolutely s**t

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
I've heard Tucker in interviews say his preferred position was outside mid/wing which he played pre-draft.
His dad said that too when I spoke to him at a training session a couple of years ago. Darcy was also known for flying for high marks in his junior career. Tucker has a massive leap and was a champion high jumper in junior athletics. We have yet to see that on a football field but I think if he gets a good run with injury he could be our biggest surprise packet in 2022.

Staggering that Treacy isn't in.
No Sturt either
His dad said that too when I spoke to him at a training session a couple of years ago. Darcy was also known for flying for high marks in his junior career. Tucker has a massive leap and was a champion high jumper in junior athletics. We have yet to see that on a football field but I think if he gets a good run with injury he could be our biggest surprise packet in 2022.
Yeah he was a completely different player as a junior. Really exciting and dynamic. I was beside myself with joy when we selected him instead of Cole and then he turned into a yawn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back