List Mgmt. 2021 NAB National AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Dekka, always the strange one lol

The 18-year-old said he hasn’t faced any strange questions so far, but one experience was more confronting than others.

“My first one was with Collingwood and (their list manager) Derek Hine,” Draper revealed.

“I was pretty nervous for that, and he was probably one of the more intense ones! Really nice, but just a little bit more intense.

I was really bullish about him, as he's very good at creating space from nothing in dangerous spots - but it's pointless if you can't use the space and just fluff your disposal. I always thought his ball use would become good - I can't work out how it is so terrible - his technique looks fine and he's got one of the shortest ball drops in the league, but he just butchers it. Burst into the clear - panic - stuff it up - every single time.
I reckon he needs to change his kicking action to clear his kicking leg (step left with his left foot) so that his right leg can swing through with less resistance - it's not a classic action but he doesn't have the build for a classic kicking action - bit like the way Rugby players kick.

Jen2310 as you are so well versed on list details, I see we continually have 9 picks listed for the upcoming draft.

We have only 6 list spots open and I believe Keane, Wilson & Faye are Cat B rookies.

Given the final list lodgement is on 29th November (after the draft), is it possible, while we have committed to Noble, Magden & Cox only recently, that their new contracts aren't registered until after the National Draft and thus, included in the Final list lodgement on 29th November, therefore allowing us 3 extra picks on draft night?

I reckon he needs to change his kicking action to clear his kicking leg (step left with his left foot) so that his right leg can swing through with less resistance - it's not a classic action but he doesn't have the build for a classic kicking action - bit like the way Rugby players kick.
I think a lot of it is upstairs. Cal is pretty unique in that a lot of blokes panic handball when they're about to get smashed, but Cal is the only bloke who panic handballs after he's burst into the clear.

Jen2310 as you are so well versed on list details, I see we continually have 9 picks listed for the upcoming draft.

We have only 6 list spots open and I believe Keane, Wilson & Faye are Cat B rookies.

Given the final list lodgement is on 29th November (after the draft), is it possible, while have committed to Noble, Magden & Cox only recently, that their new contracts aren't registered until after the National Draft and thus, included in the Final list lodgement on 29th November, therefore allowing us 3 extra picks on draft night?
Faye is outside the list on a scholarship. He isn't counted toward the list spots.

And its actually 7 picks. Those picks in the 70's don't count, as they don't have points attached to them.

First list lodgement is today. Because of how all contracts expire this weekend. So their new contracts start Nov 1

Given the final list lodgement is on 29th November (after the draft), is it possible, while we have committed to Noble, Magden & Cox only recently, that their new contracts aren't registered until after the National Draft and thus, included in the Final list lodgement on 29th November, therefore allowing us 3 extra picks on draft night?
I think the list spot rule is only for matching. So after we match, those other picks are ours to use if we want.

We wanted Willie Rioli but the Eagles swooped just before Also wanted Shai Bolton in same draft but tigers took him pick before us
Cool story, except we took Kirby 2 picks before WC selected Rioli.

I really liked Cal's game v Richmond. The way he managed to move from a stoppage or centre bounce, has a bit of pace too. I enjoyed how he got away from Bolton.
Just one thing I think he needs to work on is his ball use, which hopefully with better skills coaches, that will help.

Well that was Big Reason why Rantall was De-Listed

View attachment 1270633
Is that Dib training with the boys today?
Yep. He’s still a part of our NGA until he gets drafted, and will remain so if he goes undrafted. There’s no reason for him to pack up his toys and go home while there’s still opportunity for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have six senior list spots open, but that only dictates how many picks we can use for bid matching.

Once the Daicos bid is matched then our remaining picks will be there for us to use or trade as we wish. These picks will also slide forward in the draft order after both the Darcy and Daicos bid matches, as well as potentially after other bids for academy prospects which may come in the second round.

With regards to contracts, all contracts basically have to be signed off on by the second list lodgement deadline two weeks before the draft (November 10), which encompasses all returning players for 2022. The club cannot delay the re-signing of any players beyond that date, unless we do what we are planning to with Chugg (ie. delist him with an undertaking to pick him up in the rookie draft).

Faye is only on scholarship with us for the record, he isn't on our list officially.

Last edited:
I had a nightmare last night
We had somehow traded up to pick 18 this year (great) and selected Michael Hartley

The comparison to Atu as actual players is so weird in my opinion.

Other than both being NGA’s (and physically similar size) they are hugely different players with different skillsets.

I wasn't comparing them as like-for-like players. I was comparing them by putting them together in the 'triers, not elite, likely to be out of the system in 2-3 years' type category.

Good to have you back BP!! When can we expect our next update on Maynard’s departure?..

Are we a chance for him Jen?
Anyone is a chance, I'd say, outside the first round. You can never predict what Hine is gonna do with our picks, especially since we plan on picking a few players.
But its a nice story going from playing seniors for Oak Park to the chance to get drafted.

Anyone is a chance, I'd say, outside the first round. You can never predict what Hine is gonna do with our picks, especially since we plan on picking a few players.
But its a nice story going from playing seniors for Oak Park to the chance to get drafted.
I’ll follow with interest Jen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back