Training 2021 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Relisting Savage as insurance is not a bad idea at all.

No chance- he's really let himself go over the summer.

images

Here is some more observations from the rest of training. It was hard to take much from the yellow (seconds) side since the black team was so stacked that it was really one way traffic

- Sinclair was best on for me. He seems to have gone to another level and I'd he surprised if he wasnt started rd1. He was rotating through the midfield and off half back while having a few shots at goal.

- Looking at the midfield - all Steele, Crouch, Ross, Clark, Sinclair all in the middle for the blacks with Hill and Billings mainly on the wing. Ross/Sinclair/Clark all seemed to be switching between the middle and half back while Steele and JB were rotating up forward.

- Mason Wood looked pretty good. Has a good leap on him and was presenting him well. Could see him taking Marshalls spot rd1. Was on Carlisle for a lot of it and it was a good battle between them.

- Battle is in ripping shape. Played mainly forward with a few stints in the wing. Backing him in to have a huge year.

- Matthew Alison - was on yellow so didnt get it much but he looked good with what he got. As someone else said, kicked a fantastic goal. He will likely spend the whole year at Sandy, but he definitely has natural talent to work with.

- Ruck depth is a big issue.

- Butler, Higgins and Lonie are a dangerous trio. They were all lively and compliment each other well. While it's likely only 2 will start, I could see all 3 playing together and causing opposition defences a lot of headaches. Higgins was starting up a lot higher than the other 2 when they were setting up from throw in's from defence, so he might be the one to see a small amount of midfield time.

- Nothing much to say about the defender - Wilkie, Highmore, Coffield - the ball didnt go down there much.

- D Mac on the yellow side, starting in the middle on Steele. Did a decent job. It was hard for Dunstan and Bytel to do much.

I think thats everyone covered.

Shattered for Paton... hope he comes back and dominates. One of my favorite players, I’ve loved watching him go about his business in his quiet, unassuming, determined way.
really hope he’s ok.
I don't think it's Roughead's fault. The problem was letting him play. The guy is two years away from the game, and shouldn't go anywhere near participating in the intraclub with elite athletes. It was sloppy, lazy thinking by the club.

My take on the rest below. Happy to answer any questions if I can remember.

Allison - really wrapped with the way this guy canters about. Really looks a player. Taller with a bit more meat on him than what I was expecting, but obviously still young and developing. Confident! Definitely has potential to become a 'stunning' type of player. Really happy.
Max - didn't play
Mckernan - running laps (but sh*t he's a unit)
Gresh - didn't play
Frawley - didn't play
(and we know the other obvious outs)
Hill - looking like everything we want him to be. Saw him go into a collision contest and committed. Nice. At the end when they were carrying out sprints to end-off, Hill was blitzing.
Sinclair - was killing the yellows - very direct and damaging. Kicked a couple I think.
Billings - was his usual self - effective with the ball, accrued a bit. Seemed to be on the wing. Was definitely starting there at times.
Butler - linking up super smooth, hasn't lost anything - working really well with Lonie who had his full pack of batteries in.
Crouch - this is the guy I was most keen to see. Really nice build and fast across the ground. Was completely at home and getting lots of the ball. What I noticed was his nice kick - good penetration. A footballer. He kicked the most lovely goal; Ratts was shouting to him that the bloke manning the mark couldn't move so run out wide and centre-up. Which he did and bagged it. It was a fair way out. The players were complaining that the umps didn't call play-on, which they should have. One to watch.
Higgins - bloody brilliant. Really screaming (effs and all) at the players. Looks one thousand percent on board, and at times was everywhere. Played middle and forward. Has had a trim.
Highmore - looks comfortable. Didn't see any of his often talked about brave marking, but was always really well positioned. Seemed smart, and is good on both sides. Size wise is good to go straight in.
Rucks - thought Alabaskis won more of the hit outs, but is lost elsewhere. Dropped an uncontested sitter in what would have been an easy shot on goal for him. Punter looked impressive. In the warm ups showed how good he is below the knees. Actually got a good pair of hands on him and kick. Took some good grabs. Think we'll pick him up for sure.
Bytel - had his work cut out for him in the yellows, but agree with an earlier poster he held his own and was better than typical Dunstan - who did indeed seem to fade.
Battle - was absolutely huge in the first half. Playing foward (bit high) and taking grabs, using his dash, and hitting targets. We've got to play him forward (but I seesaw on this one often).
Wood - presented well and has elite skills and kicking. Can see him getting some games. Moves really nicely.

That'll do. Most of the play seemed pretty quick (very quick) with not a huge amount of chipping sideways.
I largely agree with your comments. Particularly impressed with Hunter the ruckman. Prepared to move around the ground. Took a pack mark at CHF and slotted it.

Paton. What a loss. Hard not to feel mega deflated about this season.

I'm terms of replacement, just don't know if we have one. If Sincs has been playing across half back maybe him? People have suggested DMac but he has been a complete liability in that position in the past.

Seriously, what a bummer.

As Allan Jeans used to say, “crisis creates opportunity”.

There is now a golden opportunity for somebody on the fringes. A career changing opportunity. We’ll soon find out who is good enough and who is not. Someone will step up.

It’s terrible luck, but hopefully Ben comes back better than ever. He is getting the best medical care.

The Marshall injury is the one that worries me. But it’s been diagnosed before serious complications had developed. We may have dodged a bullet there.

Look back on what you've posted.

On SM-T290 using BigFooty.com mobile app
I know exactly what I posted.

I’m sure it wasn’t his intent, and it’s not his fault but he could have and should have limited the risk of injury as a coach participating in match sim.

Again, I wasn’t there, it could have been a complete freak accident but the report in this thread indicated he went hard at a player in a run down situation (one of the most dangerous types of tackles).

To me it reads like he would have had an alternative and now we lose a lock best 22 player.

It’s not his fault but he could have limited the risk.

I know exactly what I posted.

I’m sure it wasn’t his intent, and it’s not his fault but he could have and should have limited the risk of injury as a coach participating in match sim.

Again, I wasn’t there, it could have been a complete freak accident but the report in this thread indicated he went hard at a player in a run down situation (one of the most dangerous types of tackles).

To me it reads like he would have had an alternative and now we lose a lock best 22 player.

It’s not his fault but he could have limited the risk.

Assistant coaches (especially recently retired ones) taking part in match practice happens every day across the league. What is the alternative? Get a Sandy player to fill in? They all work or study. Who else is going to make up the numbers?

It's ridiculous that you're making a deal about this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As Allan Jeans used to say, “crisis creates opportunity”.

There is now a golden opportunity for somebody on the fringes. A career changing opportunity. We’ll soon find out who is good enough and who is not. Someone will step up.

It’s terrible luck, but hopefully Ben comes back better than ever. He is getting the best medical care.

The Marshall injury is the one that worries me. But it’s been diagnosed before serious complications had developed. We may have dodged a bullet there.
I personally don’t think Webster has “it” anymore.

But the chance is there for him.

I will also throw this out there. I can’t stand Dmac. HOWEVER, in a simplified role as a defensive stopper. He could quite easily win his role back.

You then have a couple of debutants impressing players and track watchers for defensive positions.

That’s 4 players fighting for 1 opportunity.

McKernan, Battle and Wood fighting for Marshall’s

Bytel Dunstan pushing for Jones’s role

Plus throw in Gresham and Higgins + Crouch in round 3.

Talent is deep. Opportunity is there.
You don’t win heck all without going through adversity. Challenge has to be laid at the players feet.

How nice would it be, if we could be 7-3 or 6-4 going into round 11 with a fit list?

Here is some more observations from the rest of training. It was hard to take much from the yellow (seconds) side since the black team was so stacked that it was really one way traffic

- Looking at the midfield - all Steele, Crouch, Ross, Clark, Sinclair all in the middle for the blacks with Hill and Billings mainly on the wing. Ross/Sinclair/Clark all seemed to be switching between the middle and half back while Steele and JB were rotating up forward.

- Nothing much to say about the defender - Wilkie, Highmore, Coffield - the ball didnt go down there much.

Maybe I am missing something here. But if we are going to stack one team so heavily in the mids and forwards (especially mids), and have one way traffic all day, why not put the first choice defenders on the first choice forwards (play at least some of Coff, Howard, Wilkie etc in yellow)?

At least then we can practice transition out of defence, and give a more genuine contest?

Seems a waste to have out first choice defenders missing out on most of the match sim, and doing SFA all day. Just wondering out loud.

Also sounds like time for that insurance ruckman!!

Devastating news. As good as Paton was last year, small/ medium defenders is probably the place we are best stocked for. Any of highmore, Webster, McKenzie could come in and play a role. My rolling round 1 team looks like this.

unavailable:

Paton
Marshall
Geary
Crouch
Hannebery
Jones

b: Wilkie Howard long
Hb: coffield Carlisle Clark
C: hill Ross Sinclair
Hf: billings membrey Higgins
F: butler king battle
Foll: Ryder Steele Gresham
Int: highmore dunstan bytel lonie

not sure if they will play both dunstan and bytel so maybe Kent for one of them. If jones is right to go he plays. Still have Webster, McKenzie, mckernan, Frawley, wood and Connolly as depth. Hopefully have all of crouch, Jones, Hannebery and Geary back by round 3 so not all doom and gloom.

Assistant coaches (especially recently retired ones) taking part in match practice happens every day across the league. What is the alternative? Get a Sandy player to fill in? They all work or study. Who else is going to make up the numbers?

It's ridiculous that you're making a deal about this.

Im well aware they do but its not everyday a player winds up with a broken leg from a tackle from them is it.

Im well aware they do but its not everyday a player winds up with a broken leg from a tackle from them is it.
Does it matter?

Sounds like it wasn’t the tackle that broke his leg. It was just one of those injuries that occurs when you are in an awkward position.

Far out haha it's a freak accident. Would you have preferred they reduced the intensity of the intraclub game? What kind of preparation does that give the players for the season ahead?

It's as if your alternative was telling the group to go out there and tackle but not tackle too hard. It's ridiculous. In actual fact not hitting a contest with full commitment usually causes more injuries, not less.

Terrible for Paton and the Saints. These games need to be bruise-free this close to the season. I hope Ratt's gives Roughy an earful.
Say what ?

Going into an AFL season with bruise free training surely you jest

Had did the Gresh go today and was Hannas sited ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back