Votes: 46 47.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Seems like tonight's match was a resounding success on every front and of course was played for a great cause. Would you like to see it return in 2021?

This is what I'd like to see slotted into the same preseason window in 2021 with the proceeds going to charity:

Western Australia v Victoria @ Perth Stadium
Allies v South Australia @ Adelaide Oval/Sydney Cricket Ground/Gabba

Seems like tonight's match was a resounding success on every front and of course was played for a great cause. Would you like to see it return in 2021?

This is what I'd like to see slotted into the same preseason window in 2021 with the proceeds going to charity:

Best would be pure state by state. Qld would be trampled but the aspiration to play would be high.

It wasn't a resounding success.

It was basically played in a bruise free uncompetitive spirit with no defensive pressure.

People are not going to show up again for that.

The crowd never really got into it.
I liked it initially with the swift ball movement, but then it became dull without any physicality

Reminded me of one of those pointless Manchester United v local team friendlies

It was basically played in a bruise free uncompetitive spirit with no defensive pressure.

I am thinking was success.

Feels good seeing all great players there together.

I would do Weekend 1:

Pool A

Vic
SA
WA

Pool B

QLD/NT
NSW/ACT
TAS

Each team play 3 game. 2x 20 min halves. All game same day. Squads of 44 to pick from over day (yes some state league player for small states but only issue for weekend 1)

Weekend 2:

Squad trim to 27 (9 bench). 1x Full length match.

1v2 (for the trophy)
3v4
5v6

Yu to present trophy just kidding.

Regards,

Yu

I really enjoyed the match. But the last quarter showed the flaw with Vic v All stars.

When players tired and needed something to play for, Victs were able to tap in the "state pride".

If SOO was Vic vs SA v WA v Allies maybe that would work.

I liked it initially with the swift ball movement, but then it became dull without any physicality

Reminded me of one of those pointless Manchester United v local team friendlies
The worst thing that can happen now, from a football perspective, is a decision is made to play this annually as a charity game.

Sure money will be raised for a worthy cause, but again the players will feel obligated to play and at the same time they (and their clubs) will not want to get injured.

The result? Bruise free footy that is not sustainable as an on field product.

I really liked it to be honest. Yes it’s bruise-free, but I think it’s better that way to minimise the injuries. They should rotate things to keep it fresh though.

Have it at Optus Oval next year and then at AO.

They will if it is a cause like raising money for the devastating bushfires. People came to support the charity rather than the actual spectacle. I personally liked it because it was good to see the best players in the competition all playing for only two sides. Skills were better than a H&A season IMO.

I really enjoyed the match. But the last quarter showed the flaw with Vic v All stars.

When players tired and needed something to play for, Victs were able to tap in the "state pride".

If SOO was Vic vs SA v WA v Allies maybe that would work.
Aliies would not work. It does not represent any region. Has to be state football. Big V represents something so last night when 5 goals down there was some pride on line for players to be letting down a traditional team that has history. All Stars team played football for each other but meaningfully they represent nothing of note with history. If those players lost, like they did, they not letting anyone down. All stars is good for one of stuff like for fund raising game but ongoing to mean anything has to be representative football for BOTH teams.

Vic v WA will be more meaningful. Last night was elite standard football. Two states doing battle has more pride on the line. Make it happen. If Big V lost last night would have been annoying but given it would have been against the Rest there would be no hurt factor in pride so much. Lose to WA and it would be pissing me off way more and would rip on a guy like Lynch that played s**t for the Big V.

No thanks, NSW vs Qld or SA on the other hand.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dunno why they couldn’t have just gone with a Vic v WA & SA v Allies double header.

It would’ve raised more money and everyone would’ve had something to play for (You can debate the passion for the Allies, but they are a traditional SOO side at least)

Fans were right in questioning the AFL’s execution of the concept. It was average at best.

Every 2 years at most. We have 6 states and 2 territories =8. Or Vic, WA, SA plus Allies= 4. Make it mean something and crowds will love it. Coaches need to get a run into their players so if playing State of Origin they just miss silly preseason game. Go on a ranking system so there is always a champion of Australia on offer each year and the other games are up for ranking and pride. Of course Tassie will want to show they’re better than NSW or Qld etc.

I dunno why they couldn’t have just gone with a Vic v WA & SA v Allies double header.
You can debate the passion for the Allies, but they are a traditional SOO side at least
Bullshit. A gimmicky concept done a few times representing nothing of note.
Nothing traditional at all about it.

I am thinking was success.

Feels good seeing all great players there together.

I would do Weekend 1:

Pool A

Vic
SA
WA

Pool B

QLD/NT
NSW/ACT
TAS

Each team play 3 game. 2x 20 min halves. All game same day. Squads of 44 to pick from over day (yes some state league player for small states but only issue for weekend 1)

Weekend 2:

Squad trim to 27 (9 bench). 1x Full length match.

1v2 (for the trophy)
3v4
5v6

Yu to present trophy just kidding.

Regards,

Yu

NSW/ACT and QLD/NT wouldn't need state league players for any normal sized squads

Tas / international would beef Tasmania out with some irish players

It will only work in the post season and paying the players well. I would just play a tournament every few years.

The preseason game is not sustainable. It worked this year for a cause but we would very quickly see the stars getting thinner and thinner as a preseason match

If they are going to do a "watch the best versus the best play bruise free footy in February" play city versus country

I'd rather see SOO played by players from the second tier - WAFL, VFL etc. It might not have the drawing power of the top tier but it would be played with more heart. Play the games during the bye rounds in the middle of the year.

I'd rather see SOO played by players from the second tier - WAFL, VFL etc. It might not have the drawing power of the top tier
It is not really state level footy so it still means very little at all. At best those games would only be useful for mid-season rookie draft for fringe players. They are just lower level league playing against each other.
Real representative state football that means something is the best players from each state going at it.
Pre-season each year for one weekend is it or once every three years for two weekends of this time of year are really the two ways of doing it.

Last edited:
I'd rather see SOO played by players from the second tier - WAFL, VFL etc. It might not have the drawing power of the top tier but it would be played with more heart. Play the games during the bye rounds in the middle of the year.

could work, would also give guys hoping to get drafted as a mature-ager a great chance to showcase their talents.

not sure you’ll get the crowd though

Bullshit. A gimmicky concept done a few times representing nothing of note.
Nothing traditional at all about it.

It’s still better than the “Dream Team” or “All Stars”. It also has it’s roots in 90s Origin.

Anyway, I just wanted to see Vic v WA - there needed to be at least 2 state-based sides to generate a worthwhile contest.

It’s still better than the “Dream Team” or “All Stars”.

It is not better. It is irrelevant.
It also has it’s roots in 90s Origin.

Anyway, I just wanted to see Vic v WA - there needed to be at least 2 state-based sides to generate a worthwhile contest.
90's Origin was a farce. There is nothing about 90's origin to want to follow.

Big V v WA is certainly what we both want.
The best state of origin games I saw when they meant something, were those two sides at it in 80's but other states playing also needs to be there for them too.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like most want to see a Vic vs WA game as that is where the talent is but also wanting to include SA but other than the Allies there is no one for them to play against.

Back