Roast The absolute state of Channel 7 broadcasts

Remove this Banner Ad

I really don't want emotional types in the special comments role. They are there to analyse the game. They should be more analytical

They’re not special comments. They in no way match that definition. They’re talking, constantly. Just two more commentators.

Was at the G yesterday - while it’s not at the level of a big prelim (the GF never is, too many neutrals), the crowd was definitely loud and invested.

Channel 7 simply remove it.

I know they won’t but the AFL needs to step in. It is damaging their game.
Pretty sure that Fox will be allowed their own commentary on 7 games from the start of the next TV deal. That'll mean that we can listen to the likes of Huddo calling with the chief on special commentary. Sadly that won't include the granny.

Re watching some of the highlights from yesterday the broadcast truly is ******* appalling, the old boys club of commentators needs to go
No sense of occasion yesterday, the Sidebottom goal just having “wowe” shouted could of been done by a toddler
Watching 4K all year then at best watching 720p for the big dance is a shambles
The afl needs to step in and re do it all over before it really starts to impede on the game
Disgraceful commentary yesterday the worst I can recall

The lack of crowd noise and vibe was noticeable to me.

Everything that can be said about the commentary has been said.

It might be just my taste but I find BT way better on the radio for Triple M than on 7, which makes me think there is some direction being given by the producers.
I was just thinking this. You only have to go back to Brayshaw and Taylor in their Channel 9 days to realise that they were once very capable commentators who added life to the broadcast, although having Lyon in the special comments helped. Those three had terrific chemistry.

These two finishes (H&A nonetheless) are like chalk and cheese when compared to the dour tripe that was served up yesterday.

JB's idea of bringing atmosphere is simply yelling.

Watched the game with someone who doesn't follow footy and he said, "does he know how a microphone works, that it amplifies your voice for you?"
Unless you were having a laugh, this comment is odd to me given your earlier comment about Eddie. He does exactly the same thing. As does Hudson.

I was just thinking this. You only have to go back to Brayshaw and Taylor in their Channel 9 days to realise that they were once very capable commentators who added life to the broadcast, although having Lyon in the special comments helped. Those three had terrific chemistry.

These two finishes (H&A nonetheless) are like chalk and cheese when compared to the dour tripe that was served up yesterday.

Channel 9 days you had Packer who did not put up with s**t.

Gary Lyon has told a story where the commentary got a bit loose one game.

Packer called the producers and got Lyon on the phone and tore shreds off him

Cutting to politicians in the crowd with game on the line.
Yeah that was disgraceful. Few minutes to go in a GF and they linger an extra couple seconds on some VIPs in the crowd posing for a photo. Even in that Sydney-Carlton final a few weeks back the Capper stuff was mostly in the first quarter (kind of a narrative glue to fairweathers that might switch the channel come that first big ad break), they weren't Capper-camming him into the dying stages. I guess they figure the GF telecast has more casual observers that otherwise seldom follow the sport and that provides them more leeway for the broader spectacle. But it was just one of those things where 'we just love the footy' rings hollow, a close GF towards the finish should stay very immersive.

And as a great Ch7 representation of how decrepit Ch7 are, sitting right next to Gill and Albo , looking for all the world like Weekend at Bernie's, was the corpse of Kerry Stokes.
Hopefully he’s a real corpse soon. Channel 7 is a white supremacist organisation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know why people get so worked up about commentators and their lack of knowledge, personal biases, etc.

The amount of insight they add is no more than your standard BF poster. The only difference between them and us is that they get paid to do for a living.

I was at the game and after watching the replay I’m shocked at how bad it was.

The crowd noise was pathetic on TV. It was deafening at the ground… even the radio call you hear a giant roar. Why can’t they set up mics to get this for tv?

BT is commentating for kids. It’s like a joke. Why can’t we have serious commentary like Denis and Sandy delivered.

The camera work was pathetic. Dying stages let’s film the PM? Why the hell would anyone care

I don't know why people get so worked up about commentators and their lack of knowledge, personal biases, etc.

The amount of insight they add is no more than your standard BF poster. The only difference between them and us is that they get paid to do for a living.

It not about that. Sports broadcasting is about bringing the event to people at home.

Yesterday was a Grand Final with over 100k people in the house and less than a kick in it with minutes left.

What was presented on TV was absolutely nothing like what it was like (I was there, and I’ve watched the replay).

It was a dry, staid, boring affair on TV - no noise, no atmosphere, no emotion, nothing.

It’s a massive issue for the game. It will not capture people.

I was at the game and after watching the replay I’m shocked at how bad it was.

The crowd noise was pathetic on TV. It was deafening at the ground… even the radio call you hear a giant roar. Why can’t they set up mics to get this for tv?

BT is commentating for kids. It’s like a joke. Why can’t we have serious commentary like Denis and Sandy delivered.

The camera work was pathetic. Dying stages let’s film the PM? Why the hell would anyone care

I was gobsmacked when I watched it.

BT and JB are the stars of the show! Hence their branding

They turn down the crowd noise because otherwise it would make the stars of the show harder to hear.

Only a matter of time before there's a little box in the corner so we can see BT and JB whilst they are calling.

Clearly I'm being facetious, but you all know regarding the 3rd point that that conversation has definitely been had at channel 7 at some stage.

There's too many special comments commentators having to justify themselves via airtime and ends up devolving into a special conversation. All of them have a problem with signal to noise, but most of them can't clearly articulate a concept without run-on speaking. Some of them can barely even speak. And that's before we get to the producers in the earpiece. I've no idea what goes on there, but I'd imagine it's pretty constant. When speaking while thinking isn't your strong suit, adding trying to listen on top of that isn't going to help. Assuming the boys club do listen.

I wonder how much the late Lou Richards is to blame for this? He was an ex player commentator who made up nicknames for players to be used during is commentary. And the latest stars are emulating that without taking the time to understand why Lou's commentary still worked. It's like back when all these precocious young bucks were strutting around Silicon Valley wearing black turtlenecks and being arseholes. Because that was all it took to be successful apparently!

Nothing will change though. It's now an employment programme for retired footballers. You can see it with the difficulty non ex player commentators have getting air time at 7.

Last edited:
The AFL is a Mickey Mouse organisation, as is the media surrounding it. Recycled AFL players in commentary roles. They’re all duds. Need proper professional commentators who have professional media backgrounds.
Watched some of the Ryder cup press conference(For reaction too Mcivoys outburst).You can actually hear the reporter ask a question because he was handed the microphone.So i think we're a long way down the road for improved standards coming our way anytime soon if we can't even provide a microphone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back