Roast The absolute state of Channel 7 broadcasts

Remove this Banner Ad

Big Twit aka BT was in a Pies shirt today celebrating the win with other Collingwood supporters at the Lexus Centre or whatever it's called.

Not a great look for a main Ch7 commentator, can you imagine Bruce McAvaney celebrating with the Crows or Comettu with West Coast?

The main commentators are supposed to be unbiased but not anymore with the likes of BT and Darcy who openly barrack for their teams.

You can accept it more with special comments guys like Richo or Hodgey and even they do a better job of being unbiased than BT and Darcy.

Was talking about this yesterday. Not a popular view, but I think we really miss Bruce Macavaney’s ability to create a sense of occasion.
Agreed

Bruce feels like the ultimate 'You never know what you have until it's gone'.

He was a little bit of a caricature of his old self in the later years, but was still miles better than anything we've had since.

Love him or hate him, you can't deny the bloke did make it feel like a Grand Final.

Does anyone remember Clinton Grybas on the old Fox Footy? The guy was the best. Didn’t carry on with stories, had high energy when the moment called for it. Strong voice.

What a massive loss his death was. Should have been lead caller on Channel 7 or Fox by now.
Yeah it was tragic. Obviously for himself and his family first and foremost, and he was a special talent.

He was the heir apparent to Bruce, and yet we ended up with the moron BT instead.

If you weren't a follower of our game, you'd have no hope when listening to what we've got now.

Big Twit aka BT was in a Pies shirt today celebrating the win with other Collingwood supporters at the Lexus Centre or whatever it's called.

Not a great look for a main Ch7 commentator, can you imagine Bruce McAvaney celebrating with the Crows or Comettu with West Coast?

The main commentators are supposed to be unbiased but not anymore with the likes of BT and Darcy who openly barrack for their teams.

You can accept it more with special comments guys like Richo or Hodgey and even they do a better job of being unbiased than BT and Darcy.
Especially seeing as how so many pies fans can't stand Bryan Traitor.

The problem is all these AFL media types hand out awards and back slap each other every year.
Damn we do a good job!!
Case in point Dwayne Russell winning best commentator from his peers but is pretty much despised by the fans who have to sit through 2 hours of his insufferable commentary week in week out.

7 & Foxtel don't care what you want, they only care about what they want.
Maybe it's just an indictment on how bad it's gotten, but I'd take Dwayne over anything at seven any day of the week.

Quartermaine was one of the better ones too, likewise Hudson & Whateley.

The problem is channel 7 and the AFL don't see an issue with it, so there's no pressure to actually fire anyone.

I think it’s time to unleash Dwayne Russell on the grand final. He’s the best in the business, has a real sense of occasion and a wide array of catch phrases the whole family will enjoy
No matter if you love or hate Dwayne, you can tell the bloke lives and breathes footy. He genuinely adores the game, and that comes through in his commentary.

I don't feel that with the seven commentators. It's more 'I'm getting paid either way' style.

Maybe it's just an indictment on how bad it's gotten, but I'd take Dwayne over anything at seven any day of the week.

Quartermaine was one of the better ones too, likewise Hudson & Whateley.

The problem is channel 7 and the AFL don't see an issue with it, so there's no pressure to actually fire anyone.
Dwayne is an absolute appalling disgrace to footy calling.

I hate his guts.

Dwayne is an absolute appalling disgrace to footy calling.

I hate his guts.
Is there anyone you do like??

Imo a simple Sandy Roberts/Bruce style combo is all we need. People who can remain level headed and mature but project the excitement of the event. Hodge or Daisy on the boundary is fine.

Does anyone remember Clinton Grybas on the old Fox Footy? The guy was the best. Didn’t carry on with stories, had high energy when the moment called for it. Strong voice.

What a massive loss his death was. Should have been lead caller on Channel 7 or Fox by now.
Maybe one of the greatest callers of all time just gone too soon unfortunately

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of great points made already in this thread. Really frustraing seeing the boys club mess up broadcasting so badly. Also, has literally anything of value ever been said in one of Abbey Holmes' after game interviews? They're a combo of intrusive and cringe, can't we just let the players celelbrate and decompress for a few minutes after a game, without hammering the media ciurcus up in their grills? I know I'd prefer to watch that than yet another cliche-filled awkward interview.

Just on BT. Was taken aback by the sheer size of Luc Longley when he interviewed them before the game on Saturday.

Here's what Taylor looks like next to ordinary people listed at 6ft'1 - 6ft'5

View attachment 1819524

. . . . and here's Taylor standing next to NBA players

View attachment 1819525
I'm not sure what you were expecting... luc Longley is 7'2, he made most NBA players look small lol

He's got Mason cox covered by a few inches but looks proportional whereas mason is gangly af

And as a great Ch7 representation of how decrepit Ch7 are, sitting right next to Gill and Albo , looking for all the world like Weekend at Bernie's, was the corpse of Kerry Stokes.

Lol, I saw that and immediately thought of prince Philip in the back of the Rolls Royce.

It's somewhat comforting in these grim times that even evil rich campaigners can't escape the reaper

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Every year the sound editors keep turning the commentary microphones up louder and louder relative to the crowd microphones.

The effect is that great sporting moments like close grand finals, with the real passion of supporters, get drowned out by idiot commentators saying boring dumb crap. I would pay good money for broadcasts with crowd sounds only.

Got home eventually and watched the last quarter.
What the hell??
Tepid, unemotional, no sense of the occasion, bleating about free kicks, not invested in the outcome, monotone, boring. Cutting to politicians in the crowd with game on the line.
How could they be so far off the mark? The atmosphere in the ground was insane.
Were they in a studio at Docklands?

The Collingwood Football Club should commission an alternative call to be put over the vision.
It's getting worse every year. If I were a Richmond, Melbourne, Geelong or Collingwood supporter I'd hate to have the precious memory of a premiership replay tainted by these d***heads.

It pisses me off that Hodge's bias towards Brisbane is overlooked compared to BT's antics.

The guy is completely unprofessional.

EDIT: I just had a listen to the ABC radio call of the game and it was so much better than Triple M or Seven. Much more excitement and atmosphere.
The blu ray of the gf will have 3 or 4 alternate commentaries. They're always better than BT and co.

I'm not sure what you were expecting... luc Longley is 7'2, he made most NBA players look small lol

He's got Mason cox covered by a few inches but looks proportional whereas mason is gangly af

I know but Longley does not look a mere 27cm taller than BT. Because of his overall mass, almost similar to Andre the Giant, BT looks like he's 5ft'7 by comparison.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back