Opinion 2021 State of Origin

Should State of Origin return in 2021?

• Yes

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • No

Votes: 46 47.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Allies is a word that should be confined to gender/sexuality acronyms and the winning side in WW2...does absolutely nothing for footy in those states/territories - what self respecting QLDer is going to back a side sourced from Tasmania and *shudder* New South Wales in an Origin game?

Excluding Non-Vic/WA/SA players is s**t too - there are close to a quarter of all players in the league from outside those three states, including some absolute stars.

Part of the push behind growing the game in NSW and QLD is more players coming through juniors into the top flight - given how passionate SoO support gets in the NRL, I'd have thought it a good idea in the medium-term at least to try to tap into that and really give youngsters another level to aspire to.

Last edited:
Allies is a word that should be confined to gender/sexuality acronyms and the winning side in WW2...does absolutely nothing for footy in those states/territories - what self respecting QLDer is going to back a side made sourced from Tasmanian and *shudder* New South Wales in an Origin game?

Excluding Non-Vic/WA/SA players is s**t too - there are close to a quarter of all players in the league from outside those three states, including some absolute stars.

Part of the push behind growing the game in NSW and QLD is more players coming through juniors into the top flight - given how passionate SoO support gets in the NRL, I'd have thought it a good idea in the medium-term at least to try to
tap into that and really give youngsters another level to aspire to.

Your last paragraph is almost the primary reason the AFL should bring back proper origin in some form

Firstly, an entertaining game last night, missed the first half but apparently break neck speed with almost zero skill error.

Secondly, watching roaming Brine EVERY player is endorsing continuing it, most saying they enjoyed playing alongside and against the best and most saying they'd like to represent their state. The vote from the players is in. Of course this has not taken into consideration the position held by the players association whatever that is.

So players and fans are on board................... next hurdle is to incentivise the league and it's clubs.

Remembering this would likely have not taken place unless there was a major major something or other to validate it. For the league it was to raise charity for the tragedies of a burning country and its most effected................. because every other company / organisation and their dog had done previously.

• Incentivise the league by giving them something to make them look like a good corporate / sporting organisation. Charity.
  • There's already been talk of having a 'charity' game every year to make a best v best or state v ? game every year.
Now the even harder bit, incentivising the clubs............................. or accountability for not participating like 'managing' injured players - this is where it could get real vague and grey and may cause a s**t storm.

How to make it worthwhile so the clubs want their top tier talent to play. Obviously the players are already on board.

Well the question that begs is the how. Some vague ideas of my own.

• The league allows clubs to readily replace any injured talent (especially such as these) with rookie, state league or category listed players with zero penalty. (Not ideal I know)
  • For long term injuries like pcl's or acl's the cap / tpp is reduced accordingly for that players time out of the game. (Then we have a can or worms if the injury happens in training or any other game whether for points, scratch match, internal whatever)
  • Have a time frame that is most suited to the clubs i:e would it suit to have a weekend date for SOO and the next two weeks for marsh pre season games? Which is spread over 3 weekends anyway including this one.
  • Maybe a financial incentive for every player ex amount of $$, or draft pick points. (Yeah I know another can of worms)
  • Penalties for not allowing a fit, eligible and picked player play. Whatever that would look like.
Getting the league to make this happen is probably not impossible and they just really want a good enough reason. The clubs (and maybe the AFLPA) are another assignment to conquer.

Of course IF SOO had public interest like it does in the NRL i:e it is the pinnacle (as their premiership is not as worshipped like the SOO) then we wouldn't be having this conversation. But...................

It was basically the same as the yearly game played with the overweight has beens, a shitty ‘comedian’ or two, Dave Hughes and a singular female that the other players don’t touch or tackle, except with current players.

I know people love to have a good whinge, but two observations I had.

1. This was similar to what the NBA does with the All-Star game and despite not following basketball I know there is huge interest in that because I hear about it all the time. The AFL has its own version and it's 'boring and bruise free'.

2. This was also similar to the 'free flowing glory days' of 80's and 90's footy, but executed by faster and better conditioned athletes. Still, despite this, the 'boring and bruise free' tag has been thrown around a lot this morning.

If anything this was a perfect showcase of the sport of Australian rules football, because at least when a tackle was laid it felt more impactful due to its rarity.

No issue with this happening every season (or perhaps every 2 years as somebody else stated). This is a great time of year for it as well, because the players are as quick and strong as they are going to be and the skills will be glorious as a result.

Every three years I reckon. Four years is a bit long.

This time of year is perhaps best.

Match C: QLD/NT vs Tasmania

Match B: SA vs NSW/ACT

Match A: Victoria vs WA

I reckon you'd have three reasonably competitive games there.

The sport is far more national than rugby league - Tassie, NSWACT and QLDNT can still put half-reasonable sides out, so we should take advantage of that rather than having combined teams that nobody gives a s**t about. We can make true states work, so should give it a go.

I'd make an event of it for charity. And I'd probably play it in one city as a triple header, with the host rotating. By the sounds from a lot of players last night, one of the biggest draws for them was being with all the other players, so I think it'd be more successful if you gave them that and had them all in one place as a carnival-type atmosphere. Sending them to another city to play against one of the poorer states? Reckon you'd lose a few players.

You should get a great crowd too, rather than risking the northern states playing in front of a tiny crowd. An afternoon game, a twilight game and a night game.

Then next time around

Loser C vs Loser B

Winner C vs Loser A

Winner B vs Winner A

I know people love to have a good whinge, but two observations I had.

1. This was similar to what the NBA does with the All-Star game and despite not following basketball I know there is huge interest in that because I hear about it all the time. The AFL has its own version and it's 'boring and bruise free'.

2. This was also similar to the 'free flowing glory days' of 80's and 90's footy, but executed by faster and better conditioned athletes. Still, despite this, the 'boring and bruise free' tag has been thrown around a lot this morning.

If anything this was a perfect showcase of the sport of Australian rules football, because at least when a tackle was laid it felt more impactful due to its rarity.

No issue with this happening every season (or perhaps every 2 years as somebody else stated). This is a great time of year for it as well, because the players are as quick and strong as they are going to be and the skills will be glorious as a result.
Perfect showcase.
LOL.
A bland facsimile.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It wasn't a resounding success.

Sold out crowd and a 1m+ audience probably almost guarantees we see it again I think

It was basically played in a bruise free uncompetitive spirit with no defensive pressure.

Which more or less ensures clubs and players will release to play. They arent going to go hard at it in the preseason.

People are not going to show up again for that.

I think they will, but it needs to move to Adelaide and Perth and have the Allstars play their respective states -or failing that - have their states play victoria. You think Optus Stadium or Adelaide Oval wouldnt sell out for this?

The crowd never really got into it.

It didnt seem to be too bad from my place on the couch in Adelaide

Perfect showcase.
LOL.
A bland facsimile.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Of the skill of Australian rules football. If you've never heard of the sport and saw this game you'd be impressed with the pace and skill. If that's all this game ever is then that's okay.

This is a great time of year for it as well, because the players are as quick and strong as they are going to be and the skills will be glorious as a result.
Been saying it for years. This time has been perfect as the elite players sick of training and would love nothing better than this, at this exact time of club pre-season. Truthfully the best two or three players rarely get much out of club pre-season games but this gives them something to look forward to when they super fit and sick of running drills. It is also the timing that clubs will not kick up a fuss about like they do more in season.

It is just a matter of whether you do it every pre-season for this weekend timing or every three years as a tournament over two weekends.
But it does have to have all the states involved so every fan in all regions have a side to represent them to care about ongoing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It wasn't a resounding success.

It was basically played in a bruise free uncompetitive spirit with no defensive pressure.

People are not going to show up again for that.

The crowd never really got into it.

IF anyone thinks what was presented as Origin footy is the way it was when it was State v State, mate v mate, they are dreaming, Origin was played like a GF, none of the bruise free exhibition stuff trotted out All Stars style.

A true Origin game V v WA in Perth last night would have a bigger crowd & been a better contest.

for two games now the vics have stayed in touch then powered over the top in the last quarter. Large bench would have helped

They really do have the depth to last like this and overcome the best of the rest who rely on too few. WA SA or the other states alone surely could not even compete

Nah that's a s**t team. Tex Walker wouldn't play for NSW. No one considers broken Hill part of NSW, despite the state boundary.
You obviously didn't watch the State of Origin game last night when Tex had NSW printed on his back. I'll save you time:

sH9m0SG.jpg

It’s not better though, I feel the same way about Allies as I do about all stars. Means nothing.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah sure, I know it’s not the most absolute ideal concept but it’s still relatively achievable and could’ve easily been done last night.

Putting together 8 teams representing every state and territory will be a difficult task.

It’s just as bad as all stars so way less than ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We’d still get a genuine state v state contest between Vic & WA though. That’s the whole point of my double header idea. Clearly that would be better than Vic v All Stars.

SA v Allies as a curtain raiser would purely be there just so everyone else feels included. SA fans get to see their state side play too as a bonus.

We’d still get a genuine state v state contest between Vic & WA though. That’s the whole point of my double header idea. Clearly that would be better than Vic v All Stars.

SA v Allies as a curtain raiser would purely be there just so everyone else feels included. SA fans get to see their state side play too as a bonus.

We wouldn’t give a damn. SA v NSW would be a different matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, never felt "included" by Allies in the past.

3 games/3 divisions

d1 Vic v WA
d2 SA v NSW
d3 Qld v Allies (NT, Tas & Int)

Loser of each div drops down for following year and winner of each division wins a trophy and moves up!

end thread

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Back