24. James Frawley - Link
25. Dean Kent - Link
38. Oscar Clavarino - Link
39. Darragh Joyce - Link
41. Paul Hunter - Link
42. Max Heath - Link
45. Sam Alabakis - Link

To see the full list (it gets updated regularly) visit this thread;

I wouldn't know what the club thinks, but I could only assume that the asking price this year (two good 1st rounders) was purely because:
1) The club was caught off guard and had no time to prepare suitable replacements / trade targets
2) We had JUH coming, so random 2020 1st rounders just wouldn't cut it due to them being swallowed by a bid regardless
3) He was contracted for 2 more years

If another trade request were to occur, I would assume that not only would Dunks flag his intentions earlier, but he'd be in a position where he only has the single year left. Sam Power played extreme hardball with the drug cheats because ultimately we had no incentive to let Dunks go, especially when he still had multiple years left on a contract that is supposedly very cheap relative to the quality of player he is. The trade cost in 2021 would be lower than 2020, that I'm sure of.

Would the Saints really want Dunks though, given they just took Crouch? I feel there's other clubs that he'd suit better (Richmond, Essendon, Geelong) given the type they need to recruit for their midfields, but you'd know better than I would

FWIW I thought it was *ing awesome the way your club stood strong on Dunkley and didn't bow to pressure from:
- The player and his management
- Dodoro and his band of flogs
- Most impressively the Essendon biased media who think they can dictate what a player is or isn't worth and try public ridiculing of your asking price.

I don't think what you guys asked for was unreasonable at all given the quality of the player, the contract situation and his value to your club.

On Dunkley - if a player of that ability wants to go to your club you try and make it happen, but I wouldn't think he would be the number one priority for us. We have an ageing Ryder who was massive for us last year so need to replace him.

But at the same time it's not like we generally have a queue of A Grade talent lining up to join us either, so would depend on if he was interested in coming and if anyone else that fits a need more was interested (hypothetical only but like a Gawn).

Good luck for 2021 - should be a great game when our teams meet.

Freo will get desperate and will be willing to pay way above market rate to keep him.

Will be interesting to see if cerras lure of home will override the love for $$$
I don’t think he was as high on our board of targets as some of the others.

I believe we have a keener interest in someone like Merrett.

A few I’ve spoken too, think if we can improve on last season we have 2 players right in play. Was not Ben King.

Still think that if it happens, it will be abit off at this stage.

Taranto must be on the radar.

Merrett and an Adelaide player who's name has gone from my memory are the two I think would be the dream. Inside mids are pretty well sorted now with Crouch, Gresham, Clark, Jones, Bytel and Byrnes. Some outside spread like peak Hanners (Merrett) would be good and a ruck.

Merrett and an Adelaide player who's name has gone from my memory are the two I think would be the dream. Inside mids are pretty well sorted now with Crouch, Gresham, Clark, Jones, Bytel and Byrnes. Some outside spread like peak Hanners (Merrett) would be good and a ruck.
McAsey?

Much prefer to save draft capital for young up and comers (as we have done with Steele, Higgins, Howard, Membrey etc) than established stars. Don’t want to concentrate the age group too heavily and miss out on drafting youth when Free Agency should suffice, now that we are an attractive landing spot.

Much prefer to save draft capital for young up and comers (as we have done with Steele, Higgins, Howard, Membrey etc) than established stars. Don’t want to concentrate the age group too heavily and miss out on drafting youth when Free Agency should suffice, now that we are an attractive landing spot.
The only player I’d feel somewhat comfortable going all out for would be Josh Kelly, but that’s really dependant on how we go this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That went quick.
It's because he was delisted by Sydney to do us a favour and let him start training with us immediately.

Anyone who was previously delisted by a club is an "UFA" any time they come out of contract from that point on.

Clubs with cap space to burn could very easily throw hail-Mary type offers at him though, so he'll prolly cost us more than we'd ideally like.
He isn't leaving Victoria and the two clubs who would have the cap space to throw around are Essendon and Hawthorn, and I couldn't see him going to another rebuilding club after already putting in the years with us.

Clubs with cap space to burn could very easily throw hail-Mary type offers at him though, so he'll prolly cost us more than we'd ideally like.

He looks a bit meh playing away from goal. Hopefully he signs before his form improves. He would be on very good money already as one of our better players for several years.

He isn't leaving Victoria and the two clubs who would have the cap space to throw around are Essendon and Hawthorn, and I couldn't see him going to another rebuilding club after already putting in the years with us.
It's not about him necessarily leaving though, it's about how he could hold out for more money (and years) if other clubs are offering him substantially more than us.

Norf will prolly offer him $8mil for 7 years! After they miss out on the likes of Jelly, Merrett, Cripps, Bont, etc. again, and have to do something with their money.

Last edited:
It's because he was delisted by Sydney to do us a favour and let him start training with us immediately.

Anyone who was previously delisted by a club is an "UFA" any time they come out of contract from that point on.

I don’t get this rule. I mean it’s fantastic for Tim but seems to be quite a disadvantage for a club who’s given a player a second chance. Not that members really fits that. But most DFA do.

Freo will get desperate and will be willing to pay way above market rate to keep him.

Will be interesting to see if cerras lure of home will override the love for $$$
He would be a great pick up , but hopefully we can pick up Ben King for our next big money signing.
The current mids we have are still developing and hopefully they are our backbone for years to come.
With Steele showing he is a quality midfielder and not just a stopper - he could well get even better.
Having Brad Crouch could well be the piece we have been craving and if he can stay injury free he could be a force for many years to come and at 27 could well be at top of his game for the next 3 to 5 yrs.
Hopefully they will be the mainstays of our developing midfield in Gresham , Hunter Clark , Bytel.
We have Ross , Jones , Hannebery , Higgins and even Coffield could be used in the future and of course we have Byrne who could turn out to be a good one as well.

Knowing we have 2 aging key defenders in Carlisle and Frawley they could well line up a young big defender if Clavarino doesn't cut it - this year will be critical for Oscar.

Our other spot is another ruckman because Ryder is a great player but age gets everyone and at 33 we would be expecting to much to think he will be around to much longer - Marshall will be our ruckman if anything happens to Paddy but we need to get more than a back up ruckman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back