Analysis 2021 trade thread

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Was actually more informative and entertaining than some of the official vids. And he'd clearly put a lot of effort into it.
Im the same. Its a short little slice of life into what they do, but also its much more unfiltered so more slips through. A lot of the official stuff can be overly managed at times

I dont take it overly serious at all, as I know its Robbo (and his friends) having a bit of fun. But I do enjoy it

May 5, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Robbo is not as silly as some think. Just because he enjoys living life and clowns around a bit, doesn't mean he isn't 'a full box of chocolates'.

On moto g(30) using BigFooty.com mobile app
Dam straight.
I've had some stiffs think I was a bit stupid because I always had a smile on my face.
I can tell you now , well only lastnight the computer rated me as having the brain of a 87 year old when it beat me in checkers.
So yeah not brain dead.
Any way I let the computer beat me cause I was going to bed.
I was very tired okay.

As
There was one the other day where I think Bez did a double or triple backflip off some rocks maybe 5 or 10 metres up. 😲

Ummm. You mean Robbo's video with three of the boys doing a backflip on soft sand from a sand bank about one meter high?

lionraven

All Australian
Feb 17, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Joyce would serve as a cautionary tale for the boys. Burnt his leg in the offseason so he wasnt ready when we needed someone for Neales injury. Dev Rob and Matho ended up getting games and now Joyce is delisted. Big lesson right there on being prepared and not taking too much risk particularly in a contract season

Joyce would serve as a cautionary tale for the boys. Burnt his leg in the offseason so he wasnt ready when we needed someone for Neales injury. Dev Rob and Matho ended up getting games and now Joyce is delisted. Big lesson right there on being prepared and not taking too much risk particularly in a contract season

It was a freak accident mate - he wasn't taking a risk unless campfires are now considered risky.

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I have enormous respect for David Noble as an astute "trade for needs" football manager and given his knowledge of CEY from his time in Adelaide (a la Greenwood now for North), I am really surprised that we recruited him given how it has worked out for both him and the Club. Is it a case of CEY going backwards since he came to us, injuries or just a poor trade decision?

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I have enormous respect for David Noble as an astute "trade for needs" football manager and given his knowledge of CEY from his time in Adelaide (a la Greenwood now for North), I am really surprised that we recruited him given how it has worked out for both him and the Club. Is it a case of CEY going backwards since he came to us, injuries or just a poor trade decision?

Contract length is the only real issue and it's been exacerbated by COVID which nobody could have predicted. As a free agent all he was really costing us was a list spot.

I don't believe the made up figures that he's on $400k

mattsmob

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
OKC Thunder
Contract length is the only real issue and it's been exacerbated by COVID which nobody could have predicted. As a free agent all he was really costing us was a list spot.

I don't believe the made up figures that he's on $400k
Also at the time everyone was crying out for a big bodied mid to help protect Lachie and our smaller mids, I can definitely see the thought process behind getting CEY and liked the pickup at the time. Feel like he's been a little harshly talked about at times as he's not as bad as he's made out to be and he certainly hasn't held the club back from achieving success.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Poor recruiting decision, seeing as his loss of agility and speed post acl was a regular comment on the Adelaide board.

If only Noble paid more attention to bigfooty
His wife should have been more intact on the bigfooty community then spending her time on AFL.com instead you mean, cause we all know that this website & forum is way better then the AFL website over there after all :p

mattsmob

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
OKC Thunder
His wife should have been more intact on the bigfooty community then spending her time on AFL.com instead you mean, cause we all know that this website & forum is way better then the AFL website over there after all :p
Certainly runs smoother than the AFL website that's for sure.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
If only Noble paid more attention to bigfooty
I get it.

But at the same time, professionally run clubs should be on top of such things. We have an opposition scout at the recruiting level.

Us BigFooty fans know our list almost back to front, because we’re more hard core than the fan who goes to games for entertainment, but otherwise does put much time investment in to the club.

If we have a fair idea about a players ability post injury, etc. then full time scouts should have a fair idea about players they are looking to potentially recruit.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I get it.

But at the same time, professionally run clubs should be on top of such things. We have an opposition scout at the recruiting level.

Us BigFooty fans know our list almost back to front, because we’re more hard core than the fan who goes to games for entertainment, but otherwise does put much time investment in to the club.

If we have a fair idea about a players ability post injury, etc. then full time scouts should have a fair idea about players they are looking to potentially recruit.

So you didn't think he was worth a list spot at all based on bigfooty?

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Based on BigFooty, no that’s not what I’m trying to say at all, and that’s just trying for cheap point scoring cr@p.

Based on what he was (not) producing and performing at Adelaide, definitely wasn’t worth a list spot.

I think most of us on here believed he was going a regular member in our Best 22 when we got him in the trade period as that extra big-bodied midfielder in the lineup, but somehow didn't seem to work out and outside a couple of games in 2020, hasn't really set the world on fire for us.

Was a bad decision by our behalf to get him from Adelaide, to be completely honest, no it really wasn't by the club because even though he hasn't been that regular member of our AFL team, he didn't cost a whole heap for us (via draft-hand/cost) to get him and helps provide that mature depth with Mathieson in the midfield of our VFL side and helps develop the next future crop of midfielders stuck in the reserve levels for us (Robertson, Sharp, T.Berry, E.Smith, etc). Without Mathieson & CEY in that midfield of our VFL for us as such, we would basically having 1-2 year players in the midfield for us all the time and that wouldn't be overall good for their development at all without those experienced players helping them with their craft.

The other thing as well that we have to remember is that if CEY was part of our Best 22 constantly throughout the past 2 years, someone like Robertson would have be missing out on constant AFL level footy and therefore could have requested a trade back home to WA for greater opportunities as a result in the future, given the fact Robertson will have a MUCH higher ceiling in the future at AFL-level (in terms of ability and skills) compared to CEY and would get really good offers from Fremantle & West Coast to play for them in their midfield.

So of course it would have been nice for CEY to be Best 22 for us but at the same time, it isn't the biggest problem in the world having him and the other mature/fringe players (Lester, Cockatoo, Mathieson, etc) play in the VFL team and hopefully help and develop the next generation of players at our club in the long-term future for us, while young superstars like Robertson, Prior & K.Coleman continue to gain crucial minutes in the AFL to be crucial players for us in the future as well.

Like Fagan always says to us in the media every year though: Teams win Matches - Squads win Premierships :trophy: :trophy: :trophy:

Last edited:

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Based on BigFooty, no that’s not what I’m trying to say at all, and that’s just trying for cheap point scoring cr@p.

Based on what he was (not) producing and performing at Adelaide, definitely wasn’t worth a list spot.

His last season at the crows was definitely worthy of remaining on an AFL list but for him to last would have required consistency he hadn't yet shown for various reasons.

I think he was worth a punt on a 2 year contract but definitely not a 4 year contract.

His last season at the crows was definitely worthy of remaining on an AFL list but for him to last would have required consistency he hadn't yet shown for various reasons.

I think he was worth a punt on a 2 year contract but definitely not a 4 year contract.
Hasn’t he only been here for 2 years so if he has a 4 year contract, that would really suck.

If you continue to roll the dice on perennially injured or restricted players, in the hope that your medical department can turn them around, eventually you're going to lose one. We'd be saying exactly the same thing about a poor decision if Linc had continued to remain on the sidelines, if Hodgey didn't get a run, if Birch couldn't play, if Adams was injured even more than he is.

I don't see much point in bagging the decision if the strategy is proven.

Back