Team Mgmt. 2022 & 2023 injuries and availability - The bye has come at a good time - 13/6

Remove this Banner Ad

Consider we had Hurley (20 games) who hasn't featured for us for years and was probably done anyway. And another 20 from tippa (if they counted his full season), though an outlier himself as he's returned

Discount the 40 as pseudo retired veterans and we come back to the pack
Which is to say, I don't think injury cost us games last season, but it's certainly stunting development in areas.

Jones, cox and Reid quite specifically are ones we can't afford to be missing such large chunks so early on.
Every club has 1-2 players like that who go on the inactive list. It doesn't really impact on development as the inactive list is the opposite of clogging it and allows you to add more Nic Martins and Massimo D'Ambrosios.

What injuries do is expose the lack of well-developed depth players on a rebuilding list, because those depth players are the ones you cut to make room for more kids.

Top clubs already have solid depth to cover most injuries, so the order among them is mostly decided by strategy, talent, team cohesion, and the ability to adapt quickly. Among the bottom clubs, what you haven't got is more important than what you've got, because you have less in the first place, so when you lose someone to injury it hurts even more. In our case, we especially lack experience, so you lose one experienced forward to injury and the entire line loses its structure, game over.

Every club has 1-2 players like that who go on the inactive list. It doesn't really impact on development as the inactive list is the opposite of clogging it and allows you to add more Nic Martins and Massimo D'Ambrosios.

What injuries do is expose the lack of well-developed depth players on a rebuilding list, because those depth players are the ones you cut to make room for more kids.

Top clubs already have solid depth to cover most injuries, so the order among them is mostly decided by strategy, talent, team cohesion, and the ability to adapt quickly. Among the bottom clubs, what you haven't got is more important than what you've got, because you have less in the first place, so when you lose someone to injury it hurts even more. In our case, we especially lack experience, so you lose one experienced forward to injury and the entire line loses its structure, game over.
And its been a cycle for us.

Somewhat exacerbated by recruitment - KPF - two top end picks in gumby and daniher and they barely overlapped each other. Wright the year daniher left.

KPD - reid, cox, brand, eyre - all brought in the year hooker retired.
Hayes after hurley retires
Ideally we'd have targeted more than zerk in the years earlier.

Mids - where the "experiments" pinch. In 21 when shiel and caldwell went down, we were left with 2 mids. Stringer really stepped up but it proved an anomaly.
Lacked pure mids to cover. Something we've only recently added with caldwell, hobbs, setterfield and ideally perkins too.

We've never fostered that mature depth to cover inevitable injuries.

I was optimistic when they gave this to us last Monday that we'd get it early in the week again but no such luck. It's the hope that kills you

I was optimistic when they gave this to us last Monday that we'd get it early in the week again but no such luck. It's the hope that kills you
They must read the forum. At least we know why McBride missed the VFL praccy even though they didn't tell us!

Screenshot_20230322-140815.png

They must read the forum. At least we know why McBride missed the VFL praccy even though they didn't tell us!

View attachment 1636306
No Hobbs, hopefully that means he's medically cleared (I know he played VFL last week but I don't know if it was reduced minutes, which I would class as part of the return to injury, or if he played the full game).

Still no news on Munkara either

Feel like nothing ever gets said. The supporters all know there is an issue…but the club never says anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is the issue?
One of the few that kept his job at the end of last year… and I think most of that team survived intact too?

We brought him in to replace Crow at the end of 2019, and promoted physio David Rundle as well so we had a head of medical services and a head of strength and conditioning both reporting to Dan Richardson in a “new streamlined structure” (cost-cutting).

End of 2020 Rundle left, reports speculate because of having to move interstate with the hubs and the toxic environment at the club at the time, but I can’t find who replaced him. Surely someone did though right?

Alex Sakadjian didn’t come in until a year later and has a lower level title than Rundle had. And now he is gone to St Kilda anyway.

There will still be others in that team, part timers or whatever. He’s not a one man band. But I wonder if it’s under resourced with everything going into development, rather than the one guy who is left doing a s**t job.

Any discussion of the Essendon group being more injury prone should reference our games lost vs comp average

It’s a very tough sport. A bunch of players from each club will be injured each year. Kind of a so what unless we are behind our competition. Are we?

James Stewart has had an interrupted career. But I’m not seeing anyone else on the list who has chronic struggles.
Did we ever get to the bottom of this? Surely some journo somewhere has the stat

We are certainly copping our fair share of injuries. Too many to think it is just bad luck.

I think recruiting needs to be looked at.

I look at the Cats young players and they are ready to go physically when they are selected. We seem to have a bunch of skinny kids that are not robust at all.

A lot of the blokes we move on seem to land on their feet somewhere else so is it all on them ?
Fantasia is the only one that comes to mind that is still as injury prone since he left as he was when he was here.
Obviously his body is shot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back