Review 2023 Season Review: The good, the bad, the ugly. Where to next?

Remove this Banner Ad

Good: we were in the game more often and for longer until the rot started to set in. Hobbs, Caldwell and Bryan showed that they are the future. Langford is elite, Merrett showed that he is a leader. Tired/ injured players seemed to have an impact. We did have 10 of our best 22 on the sideline injured in the last game. Ridley is possibly our most important player.
Bad: Lack of depth in key positions at both end of the ground. We have about 28 small forwards on the list and none of them are that flash. I am including Massimo on that list. Snelling, Guelfi, Davey x 2, Wanganeen, Walla, Munkara, Massimo, Menzie. People talking about list balance should consider this. Granted some may be given different roles but that is a lot os small forwards.
Ugly: Listless at times with an obvious lack of effort. We really did look like witches hats at times in the back-end of the year. Fundamental skill errors, inability to stick tackles. I can forgive young players or players carrying a niggle I guess but McGrath, Parish, Shiel, Heppell etc have no excuses.
Yes, I made the same comment about small forwards in the draft thread. So many people blindly wanting Nick Watson on the list, which is fine, as long as we're clearing out small forwards as well.

I'm willing to cop the key post depth for another season if we pursue Duursma. That allows us to have a taller marking player through the middle who also thrives at the contested ball.

I neglected to add Merrett to my 'Good' list. 😬

Good - Merret. Exceptional! Langford (AA squad surely), Martin, Hobbs, Ridley, Caldwell. First 3/4 vs Magpies, last 3 quarters vs Port (minus the last 21 sec). Beating carlton and Hawthorn is always gratifying....adding Durham too.

Bad - Andy McGrath, Strength and conditioning mob, Peter Wrights shoulder (stuffed him lets be real)

Ugly - The fact that at times I just simply detest watching us play and its the worst 2 hours of my week....even when we win. Im not getting much joy out of this mob anymore...sigh

Yes, I made the same comment about small forwards in the draft thread. So many people blindly wanting Nick Watson on the list, which is fine, as long as we're clearing out small forwards as well.

I'm willing to cop the key post depth for another season if we pursue Duursma. That allows us to have a taller marking player through the middle who also thrives at the contested ball.

I neglected to add Merrett to my 'Good' list. 😬
Duursma is going top 4

We have pick 9 likely after compensation

Tippa - Gone
Snelling - Likely gone

Davey x 2
Menzie
Guelfi

A few of those will be lucky to be here in 12 months time

Duursma is going top 4

We have pick 9 likely after compensation

Tippa - Gone
Snelling - Likely gone

Davey x 2
Menzie
Guelfi

A few of those will be lucky to be here in 12 months time
might be a hot take but i think we’re worse in the forward line without guelfi. he mightn’t kick too many goals but he plays a very defensive role that hardly anyone in the club knows how to play.

realistically our f50 will be like

menzie wright j davey*
wanganeen (if he isn’t delisted) langford a davey
* haven’t seen him play but read that he’s played deeper than his twin historically

Yep -
• Langford - what a forward and a real deal footballer. Sadly, all we have to rely on for multiple goals while wright worries about re injury at every contest. Hate to think what the side looks like without him in it every week. So impressed with this player. 🎉

• Merrett - wears the captains hat very well. Had a great year.

• Hobbs - enormous potential and future of the club. Love his enthusiasm and courage to get into the contest. One of my favs.

• Menzie - also has lots of potential. Adds much needed pressure. Obvious in port game when subbed.

• Redman signing

• Heppel signing - understand that some may feel that this signing was a big red flag and signifies the club not serious about making changes but I understand the leadership and training discipline angle. Had good blocks of football. Clubman for 7 years. Says something about his personality required at the club post retirement.

• Tippa - what a beautiful human. I’ll miss you. Glad you will be still be around the club. Thanks for the memories of an exciting and terrific career that made me smile and cry happy tears. A fantastic mentor.
Phillips - good ruck and person. All the best back home for you and your family. Left on own terms as per Tippa. Thanks for everything.

Unsure
• Parish signing - hmm. On the fence. He’d want to improve a lot. Sorry. Has good moments but can be covered when not in the side. Hobbs been solid. Some may not agree.

• As for other delistings and trades I’ll wait for the club announcements.

Major challenges-
• basic football skills lacking and too handball happy.
• lack of composure under pressure to push through - should have won port (twice) and Syd games. Geelong game was a hint of what was to come. (TBH season ended against WB for me)
• Last 2 games against gws and Coll should be line in the sand moments and if players are serious about contending or even having a genuine afl career then show us and make us believe. Respect the supporters and give back. Don’t say you’ll come out guns blazing and then kick an even lower score than the week before. It’s insulting.
• IMO the bye while handy for some players to recover from minor niggles derailed the season and ended their momentum. Essendon didn’t recover from it.
• fatigue from heavy training blocks - most likely done purposely to further expose (lack of) fitness levels
• Mental approach to their game will need a lot of work as playing group doesn’t know what success looks like. This for me is the biggest challenge. Will require internal change within players before we see any lasting changes on field. B game needs to be eradicated to turn that fear of losing into fear that pushes them through to win.

Ok, great -
• 86k members. Can have a whole lot more if you’re serious about winning. As someone who works in marketing even I get sick of the club messaging sometimes.

To sum up for me, Brad’s work this year to prove the list is average and in no way a solid contender. He’s built a solid business case to get the support he needs to make the necessary changes. I’ll be looking forward to it.

‘Extraordinary measures to bridge that gap’
- Brad Scott
Round 24 Press Conference
August 2023

Yep -
• Langford - what a forward and a real deal footballer. Sadly, all we have to rely on for multiple goals while wright worries about re injury at every contest. Hate to think what the side looks like without him in it every week. So impressed with this player. 🎉

• Merrett - wears the captains hat very well. Had a great year.

• Hobbs - enormous potential and future of the club. Love his enthusiasm and courage to get into the contest. One of my favs.

• Menzie - also has lots of potential. Adds much needed pressure. Obvious in port game when subbed.

• Redman signing

• Heppel signing - understand that some may feel that this signing was a big red flag and signifies the club not serious about making changes but I understand the leadership and training discipline angle. Had good blocks of football. Clubman for 7 years. Says something about his personality required at the club post retirement.

• Tippa - what a beautiful human. I’ll miss you. Glad you will be still be around the club. Thanks for the memories of an exciting and terrific career that made me smile and cry happy tears. A fantastic mentor.
Phillips - good ruck and person. All the best back home for you and your family. Left on own terms as per Tippa. Thanks for everything.

Unsure
• Parish signing - hmm. On the fence. He’d want to improve a lot. Sorry. Has good moments but can be covered when not in the side. Hobbs been solid. Some may not agree.

• As for other delistings and trades I’ll wait for the club announcements.

Major challenges-
• basic football skills lacking and too handball happy.
• lack of composure under pressure to push through - should have won port (twice) and Syd games. Geelong game was a hint of what was to come. (TBH season ended against WB for me)
• Last 2 games against gws and Coll should be line in the sand moments and if players are serious about contending or even having a genuine afl career then show us and make us believe. Respect the supporters and give back. Don’t say you’ll come out guns blazing and then kick an even lower score than the week before. It’s insulting.
• IMO the bye while handy for some players to recover from minor niggles derailed the season and ended their momentum. Essendon didn’t recover from it.
• fatigue from heavy training blocks - most likely done purposely to further expose (lack of) fitness levels
• Mental approach to their game will need a lot of work as playing group doesn’t know what success looks like. This for me is the biggest challenge. Will require internal change within players before we see any lasting changes on field. B game needs to be eradicated to turn that fear of losing into fear that pushes them through to win.

Ok, great -
• 86k members. Can have a whole lot more if you’re serious about winning. As someone who works in marketing even I get sick of the club messaging sometimes.

To sum up for me, Brad’s work this year to prove the list is average and in no way a solid contender. He’s built a solid business case to get the support he needs to make the necessary changes. I’ll be looking forward to it.

‘Extraordinary measures to bridge that gap’
- Brad Scott
Round 24 Press Conference
August 2023
It should probably go without saying, but Zach's comment that serious conversations are about to be had hopefully forecasts a sweep through.

Zach post-game

might be a hot take but i think we’re worse in the forward line without guelfi. he mightn’t kick too many goals but he plays a very defensive role that hardly anyone in the club knows how to play.

realistically our f50 will be like

menzie wright j davey*
wanganeen (if he isn’t delisted) langford a davey
* haven’t seen him play but read that he’s played deeper than his twin historically
We will have to have a midfielder in that forward group of 7. Maybe even 2 unless you develop one into a genuine half back flanker

My offseason i think at this stage is

1) Georgiades for Zerk
2) Pick 9 - D.Wilson (Cant see any of the Super 7 sliding through)
3) Mckay as the big KPD - The other option is pick 10 for Parish which i dont feel is enough

Pick 26 Order:
1) A.Reid
2) L.Morris
3) Demattia
4) Tholstrup
5) G.Stevens

Mcgrath - Mckay - Ridley
Redman - Baldwin/Lav - N.Cox (Hind)

N.Martin - Setterfield-Durham(D.Wilson)
Draper - Z.Merrett - Hobbs (Caldwell)

Parish - Georgiades - A.Davey
Menzie - 2MP - Langford (Stringer)
Sub: Tsatas

Perkins VFL - Kick up the bum

Backline - Should be together and not change for 5 years

Id also ask the question about Charlie Spargo if were losing Snelling aswell as already Tippa. He was well known for his defensive prowess. Im not giving up anymore that an F3 though

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Three of each and the light we can see for 24.

Good:
Langford is a forward
We look better in the middle with Setterfield
Hobbs can rise to the level - scope for improvement
Best win: Melbourne

Bad:
Darcy remains inconsistent defensively; gets back to help the defenders which is great. Refuses to stand defensive side of his man at a stoppage, like, all the time.
Zach needs help to break a tag.
Martin has a tendency to go missing.

Ugly:
When the going gets tough, the Bombers give up. Competitive early, okay, but the grind through June - August needs to drive our application to the task competitively.
The list is Frankensteinian; cheers Dodo and team. Good f****** job.
I don't see a future beyond a middling finish unless the previous two uglies are fixed.

The light:
Cox worked his way into the game off half-back last night and looked much better than he has. Dare I say, at times, dynamic. I hope he trains there all summer.
Tsatas, though kicking helicopters at times, has plenty of pace out of a stoppage and makes us look different around the ball, which I like.
Caldwell and Hobbs may bring the competitive edge to the midfield that we need.
Bryan will be a better ruckman than Draper.
Re: ugliness; we've since brought in McKay and Baldwin is having a very productive preseason training as a defender. Alwyn has been training off HB. We've drafted a key forward. We've brought in a proven small forward and added an attacking wing. I still think Zach needs more help but natural improvement from Hobbs and Perkins should help alleviate. Feeling less ugly now.

Re: the light; Tsatas has been intensively working on his kicking recently and Cox has been able to train (!)

Where to next ?
Will pretty much be the same story until they can improve on the contested ball winning front both ground level and marking.
They had a reasonable game plan going but everything came undone when sides just zoned the middle of the ground and stopped the short kicking game.
We had no other direction to go because we could not win contested footy at ground level nor could we take a contested mark.
Now that you've seen a few match sims, does it look to you that these issues have been addressed or does it look like more of the same?

Now that you've seen a few match sims, does it look to you that these issues have been addressed or does it look like more of the same?
I still have concerns with the marking power in the forward half but if they use Durham / Setterfield / Perkins / Stringer around the footy the bigger bodies help.
Plus playing Kelly on a wing puts another strong body around the contest .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back