VFLW 2023 Season - Preliminary Final - Bombers lose to the Borough by 5 goals. Season over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
The 2023 rebel VFLW season commences on Saturday, March 25, with six matches scheduled across a bumper opening weekend.

The VFLW side will take on the Box Hill Hawks at 11am, also at the NEC Hangar where the Bombers are set to unfurl their 2022 Premiership flag.

All matches in the 2023 Smithy’s VFL and rebel VFLW seasons will be live streamed free via the AFL website (afl.com.au) and AFL Live Official App. Further broadcast details will be confirmed at a later time.

Entry to rebel VFLW matches is free. Where venues host VFL and VFLW double-headers, entry fees will apply after half time of the VFLW match.

Fixtures for all remaining rounds will be released shortly.

RoundOpponentVenueDate & Time
1Essendon vs Box Hill HawksThe HangarSunday March 26 @ 11am
2Southern Saints vs EssendonTrevor Barker Beach OvalSunday April 2 @ 3pm
3Essendon vs CarltonThe HangarSaturday April 8 @ 1pm
4Essendon vs Casey DemonsThe HangarSunday April 16 @ 11am
5Collingwood vs EssendonVictoria ParkSaturday April 22 @ 11am
6Williamstown vs EssendonWilliamstown Football GroundSunday April 30 @ 2pm
7Essendon vs Southern SaintsThe HangarSaturday May 7 @ 11am
8Box Hill Hawks vs EssendonBox Hill City OvalSaturday May 13 @ 12pm
9Essendon vs GeelongThe HangarSaturday May 20 @ 11am
10Darebin vs EssendonLa Trobe UniversitySunday May 28 @ 10.30am
11Essendon vs North MelbourneThe HangarSunday June 4 @ 11am
12Casey Demons vs EssendonCasey FieldsSaturday June 17 @12pm
13Port Melbourne vs EssendonETU StadiumSunday June 25 @ 11.30am
14Essendon vs Western BulldogsTBCTBC

Last edited by a moderator:
Two other games remaining in the round.

Most likely situation is the Pies (2nd) beat North (9th) this arvo and Port (1st) beat Casey (10th) tomorrow.

This would have us playing in an Elimination Final (4v5) against the Hawks at Box Hill next week.

Collingwood took care of business against North, so barring a big loss from Port to Casey (unlikely), we're off to Box Hill City Oval next week.

Should know late tomorrow what day and time.

Casey caused a boilover and were a point or two away from sending Port to third!

We'll be playing Box Hill at Box Hill, time and day TBC.

f701e7874ce3b30f1cb35bb3622f44a528b6f175_2_568x1000.jpeg

Nice morning outside, Blue Sky, barely a cloud... great day to watch some finals footy at Box Hill City Oval.

Usually there's a lot of parking in the surrounding, or if taking the train (like me) take the Belgrave/Lilydale Lines to Laburnum station - ground is a 5 minute walk away.

Remember... FREE ENTRY - game at 11am.

Nice morning outside, Blue Sky, barely a cloud... great day to watch some finals footy at Box Hill City Oval.

Usually there's a lot of parking in the surrounding, or if taking the train (like me) take the Belgrave/Lilydale Lines to Laburnum station - ground is a 5 minute walk away.

Remember... FREE ENTRY - game at 11am.
What are our chances here? Are any of our AFLW players in the side?

What are our chances here? Are any of our AFLW players in the side?
And any of theirs, for that matter.

I don’t recognise any names in either team as being AFLW listed for 2023.

We have a few that were AFLW last season though, and a couple of really solid VFLW players too.

For example, Bella Clarke (injured last year, didn’t play, then delisted), Megan Ryan (injury top up, delisted), Zoe Hurrell (AFLW Sydney, delisted), Sophie Molan (AFLW Richmond, delisted).

And then the VFLW names like Kenny Heil, Courtney Ugle, Mia-Rae Clifford, Reese Sutton, Scarlett Orritt, Olivia Manfre, Grace Dicker, and then a couple other familiar surnames in Huta and Prpic who are new to us this year I think.

We have a few that were AFLW last season though, and a couple of really solid VFLW players too.

For example, Bella Clarke (injured last year, didn’t play, then delisted), Megan Ryan (injury top up, delisted), Zoe Hurrell (AFLW Sydney, delisted), Sophie Molan (AFLW Richmond, delisted).

And then the VFLW names like Kenny Heil, Courtney Ugle, Mia-Rae Clifford, Reese Sutton, Scarlett Orritt, Olivia Manfre, Grace Dicker, and then a couple other familiar surnames in Huta and Prpic who are new to us this year I think.
Yeah I only recognise Ugle and Clifford from that list. Could they go to the next level?

Yeah I only recognise Ugle and Clifford from that list. Could they go to the next level?
Not sure but they’re an important part of the club imo, not just the team. Love them both and was kinda pissed when Ugle lost the captaincy to that interloper Georgia Nanscawen a few years ago 😂 But now I love G too so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure but they’re an important part of the club imo, not just the team. Love them both and was kinda pissed when Ugle lost the captaincy to that interloper Georgia Nanscawen a few years ago 😂 But now I love G too so.
I just quietly have an eye on the Ugle connection with JUH, clubwise. Looking forward to following a bit of this game today though. It pings my conscience sometimes that I'm not as invested in the women's game, so today will be interesting to me.

I just quietly have an eye on the Ugle connection with JUH, clubwise. Looking forward to following a bit of this game today though. It pings my conscience sometimes that I'm not as invested in the women's game, so today will be interesting to me.
I don’t think they’re closely related, she’s from WA and he’s from Framlingham. But she is related to the Hill boys, and was probably the reason Bobby Hill wanted to come here (and then didn’t).

I really don't know why there isn't more crossover, especially from the fringe players and especially pre AFLW pre season. Surely you're better off playing footy rather than just training and only getting a couple of games.

I really don't know why there isn't more crossover, especially from the fringe players and especially pre AFLW pre season. Surely you're better off playing footy rather than just training and only getting a couple of games.
Working (sometimes a fair distance away from the club or even interstate), getting paid to play other sports, being injured, etc.

I think they only play AFLW players in the VFLW if they're learning a new role or need experience/conditioning for some reason, but it depends what the players can afford to do with their lives too. The base wage isn't that much to pay rent and feed yourself in Melbourne these days.

Working (sometimes a fair distance away from the club or even interstate), getting paid to play other sports, being injured, etc.

I think they only play AFLW players in the VFLW if they're learning a new role or need experience/conditioning for some reason, but it depends what the players can afford to do with their lives too. The base wage isn't that much to pay rent and feed yourself in Melbourne these days.
I remember it was said that the hawkes pulled a lot out come finals time last season.

I'm not too sure about the work excuse, plenty of people play footy or other sports as it tends to fall outside most people's work hours. If you're playing sport I don't see how VFLW impacts it any further than AFLW. Guess they only have to give up the 10 weekends or whatever it is (grrr)

At some stage I think there's a point where the upper level of VFLW talent is getting more of a kick, more match hardness and probably developing better than a fringe AFLW who is holding out playing footy for any of the above reasons to warm the bench in 3 or 4 games per season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back