VFLW 2023 Season - Preliminary Final - Bombers lose to the Borough by 5 goals. Season over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
The 2023 rebel VFLW season commences on Saturday, March 25, with six matches scheduled across a bumper opening weekend.

The VFLW side will take on the Box Hill Hawks at 11am, also at the NEC Hangar where the Bombers are set to unfurl their 2022 Premiership flag.

All matches in the 2023 Smithy’s VFL and rebel VFLW seasons will be live streamed free via the AFL website (afl.com.au) and AFL Live Official App. Further broadcast details will be confirmed at a later time.

Entry to rebel VFLW matches is free. Where venues host VFL and VFLW double-headers, entry fees will apply after half time of the VFLW match.

Fixtures for all remaining rounds will be released shortly.

RoundOpponentVenueDate & Time
1Essendon vs Box Hill HawksThe HangarSunday March 26 @ 11am
2Southern Saints vs EssendonTrevor Barker Beach OvalSunday April 2 @ 3pm
3Essendon vs CarltonThe HangarSaturday April 8 @ 1pm
4Essendon vs Casey DemonsThe HangarSunday April 16 @ 11am
5Collingwood vs EssendonVictoria ParkSaturday April 22 @ 11am
6Williamstown vs EssendonWilliamstown Football GroundSunday April 30 @ 2pm
7Essendon vs Southern SaintsThe HangarSaturday May 7 @ 11am
8Box Hill Hawks vs EssendonBox Hill City OvalSaturday May 13 @ 12pm
9Essendon vs GeelongThe HangarSaturday May 20 @ 11am
10Darebin vs EssendonLa Trobe UniversitySunday May 28 @ 10.30am
11Essendon vs North MelbourneThe HangarSunday June 4 @ 11am
12Casey Demons vs EssendonCasey FieldsSaturday June 17 @12pm
13Port Melbourne vs EssendonETU StadiumSunday June 25 @ 11.30am
14Essendon vs Western BulldogsTBCTBC

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember it was said that the hawkes pulled a lot out come finals time last season.

I'm not too sure about the work excuse, plenty of people play footy or other sports as it tends to fall outside most people's work hours. If you're playing sport I don't see how VFLW impacts it any further than AFLW. Guess they only have to give up the 10 weekends or whatever it is (grrr)

At some stage I think there's a point where the upper level of VFLW talent is getting more of a kick, more match hardness and probably developing better than a fringe AFLW who is holding out playing footy for any of the above reasons to warm the bench in 3 or 4 games per season.
I was thinking of police officers in SA and bar managers in Gippsland. It’s easy enough if you live and work near the club/ground.

Our double-chance (6th placed Carlton) leads by 2 points late in the 3rd, but have the wind in the final quarter.

If they win, we go to the Major Semi Final and play Collingwood at Vic Park next week.

If Williamstown (3rd) get back in front and win, then we go to the Minor Semi Final at play Port Melbourne at Port next week.

Game live (until 6:20pm AEST) on AFL.com.au and Casey radio 97.7

Our double-chance (6th placed Carlton) leads by 2 points late in the 3rd, but have the wind in the final quarter.

If they win, we go to the Major Semi Final and play Collingwood at Vic Park next week.

If Williamstown (3rd) get back in front and win, then we go to the Minor Semi Final at play Port Melbourne at Port next week.

Game live (until 6:20pm AEST) on AFL.com.au and Casey radio 97.7
Our double-chance now leading by 9 points early in the final term.

Carlton (6th) knock off Williamstown (3rd) by 4 points. Willi kicked a goal with 20 seconds left, but with no time on in the VFLW, that was the ball game.

Just like 2021, we now get the double-chance, and just like 2021, we face Collingwood in the Major Semi-Final at Victoria Park.

Most likely on Sunday, most likely some time around lunchtime.

Dammit :( lost by 4 points, and we were in our forward 50 when the siren went! 😡

At least it was a double chance game, so we are into another final next week right CrowdedHouse?

We'll be playing in a Preliminary Final, next Sunday (Time TBC) at North Port Oval, against either Port Melbourne or Carlton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heartbreaking loss. God bless the final 6. If we can get up next week I fancy our chances against the magpies next time around. Their tackling pressure won them the game, it should be harder for them to keep that up with the extra week off.

Thought that second last "game saving" tackle forward of centre was a bit high. Stings to have Sargent kick the eventual match winner.

God, I had to have it going in the car and ******* spotified kept putting its two cents in and then when i got that off I somehow had 2 streams playing with one maybe a second behind so it was like some crazy nightmare final 2 minutes.
That's irritating. I ended up watching it on the computer, I couldn't stream it to the TV in the living room and didn't want to sit in the bedroom on a Saturday afternoon 😒

That's irritating. I ended up watching it on the computer, I couldn't stream it to the TV in the living room and didn't want to sit in the bedroom on a Saturday afternoon 😒
The AFL app is a bit weird. I watch on android cast to TV. At the start of the year I was trying to go through the VFLW page I think, and it wouldn't expand the picture full screen. But the homepage under "watch live" would.

Also depends on the telly, I've had trouble connecting with our cheaper bedroom tellys, the lounge one hooks up to my phone just by default.

The AFL app is a bit weird. I watch on android cast to TV. At the start of the year I was trying to go through the VFLW page I think, and it wouldn't expand the picture full screen. But the homepage under "watch live" would.

Also depends on the telly, I've had trouble connecting with our cheaper bedroom tellys, the lounge one hooks up to my phone just by default.
These two TVs both have Apple TVs to cast through, and they're exactly the same model, same software, same network, same origin device, same video stream. I dunno what's wrong with it, haven't had time to tinker today. Don't normally have any issues with it but maybe the computer needs an update. It might've worked if I streamed it from my phone to the TV instead, but I didn't bother trying 😅 Was easier at that point to just put it as a floating video in the corner of the computer screen while I was doing the closest to the pin update and some other stuff.

The link I posted above is the video URL that is embedded in the AFL website, which might help with some of your issues as it doesn't have any window dressing that would normally cause the video frame to have some of the settings and options missing. Getting that link is a little bit tricky as you need to search the website's source code for the URL.

Preliminary Final vs Port Melbourne - Sunday 23rd July @ 2pm
FREE ENTRY (No Dogs Permitted) at ETU Stadium (North Port Oval) this Sunday.

Game live streamed from 2pm via the AFL Website and App, and also broadcast on Casey Radio 97.7 FM.

Teams...

Screenshot_20230721_123005_Outlook.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back