Team Mgmt. 2022 & 2023 injuries and availability - The bye has come at a good time - 13/6

Remove this Banner Ad

Having a really interesting conversation this morning about something I haven’t really thought about but is quite galling when you lay it all out.

Trav Colyer for us looks an absolute repeat sprint animal and unbelievable runner, goes to Freo and doesn’t stand out aerobically.

Fantasia goes to Port and somehow breaks down more often than he did for us trying to keep up with Port’s incredible program.

Daniher goes to Brisbane and they visibly bulk him up and thicken him out but still manage to keep him on the park and have all of his athletic traits.

We truly have a worst in class strength and conditioning program that does the opposite of prepare footballers for the top level and it’s a multi year job to even try to rectify it.
Ryder and Monfries both got seriously big and fit at Port.

Even look at Smith at GWS - he was ripped as *. With us? Nope

Further to this, how about bringing in Martin and he immediately becomes our best two way runner, easily covering the most ground for us game in game out.
God I’d love to have Colyer back, and boy did we miss fully fit Tippa/Snelling/Smith combo this year
Yeah, probably should've rang more alarm bells that Martin came in fitter than the vast majority of our list...

Having a really interesting conversation this morning about something I haven’t really thought about but is quite galling when you lay it all out.

Trav Colyer for us looks an absolute repeat sprint animal and unbelievable runner, goes to Freo and doesn’t stand out aerobically.

Fantasia goes to Port and somehow breaks down more often than he did for us trying to keep up with Port’s incredible program.

Daniher goes to Brisbane and they visibly bulk him up and thicken him out but still manage to keep him on the park and have all of his athletic traits.

We truly have a worst in class strength and conditioning program that does the opposite of prepare footballers for the top level and it’s a multi year job to even try to rectify it.

Durham too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, probably should've rang more alarm bells that Martin came in fitter than the vast majority of our list...
Yeah it also shows we haven’t been recruiting aerobic athletes very well previously. Snelling, Durham and Martin all good runners… all big hits.

Please turn our players into iron men like the cats team

Sport Olympics GIF by 44 Cats

Wouldn't mind a dull season out of Kyle Langford, Harrison Jones and Joe Caldwell in 2023.
IDK, conditioning can help some, but mostly bad luck.

Sometimes you can get a run of injuries for no reason. Most clubs have a bad season every once in a while.

AFL is a pretty brutal sport where you need high strength, speed and aerobic capacity. It is a hard balancing act.

I think you could argue a case that all o the following players in our list are a bit injury prone - certainly over the last couple of years (*Cox, Reid and Jones still all young but have had injures);-

Shiel – 27 games in last 2 years (form & injury issues over last 2 years - 30 in 2023)

*Cox – 27 games last 2 years (started like house on fire then 2nd year blues/injuries)

Langford – 26 games last 2 years (averages 13 games a year over his whole career - always seems to have had share of injury issues)

Jones – 26 games in last 2 years (drafted in 2019 yet didn't play until 2021 - has his share of injuries & can go missing during games)

Stewart – 23 games in last 2 years (has averaged 8 senior games a year over his career with injuries/form - big plus if he can stay on the park in 2023)

Caldwell – 23 games in last 2 years (getting back to form/confidence after injury riddled start to his career - could be a real improver..)

Tippa – 20 games in last 2 years (was gifted a few of those games, had mental health issues, retired, came back...can he get back to his best at 30?)

*Reid – 8 games last 2 years (still only young but plenty of niggles - seems to lack bulk/strength...)

Last edited:
I think you could argue a case that all o the following players in our list are a bit injury prone - certainly over the last couple of years (*Cox and Reid still both young but have had injures);-

Shiel – 27 games in last 2 years (form & injury issues over last 2 years - 30 in 2023)

*Cox – 27 games last 2 years (started like house on fire then 2nd year blues/injuries)

Langford – 26 games last 2 years (averages 13 games a year over his whole career - always seems to have had share of injury issues)

Jones – 26 games in last 2 years (drafted in 2019 yet didn't play until 2021 - has his share of injuries & can go missing during games)

Stewart – 23 games in last 2 years (has averaged 8 senior games a year over his career with injuries/form - big plus if he can stay on the park in 2023)

Caldwell – 23 games in last 2 years (getting back to form/confidence after injury riddled start to his career - could be a real improver..)

Tippa – 20 games in last 2 years (was gifted a few of those games, had mental health issues, retired, came back...can he get back to his best at 30?)

*Reid – 8 games last 2 years (still only young but plenty of niggles - seems to lack bulk/strength...)
Shiel literally had one serious injury in his career.

Cox the same.

Disingenuous to use AFL average games for Langford early in his career when he played plenty of VFL too (over 50 in his career I'm pretty sure), so that's nearly 160 games over 8 years, or about 20 a year.

Again, need to include VFL in that figure, which bumps it above 30 in 2 years.

Caldwell played 20 games this year? He's getting over his injuries.

Walla wasn't injury issues.

Again, why not include VFL? His injuries have been Glandular Fever and that's it so far.

Your analysis lacks depth as you look only at AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shiel literally had one serious injury in his career.

Cox the same.

Disingenuous to use AFL average games for Langford early in his career when he played plenty of VFL too (over 50 in his career I'm pretty sure), so that's nearly 160 games over 8 years, or about 20 a year.

Again, need to include VFL in that figure, which bumps it above 30 in 2 years.

Caldwell played 20 games this year? He's getting over his injuries.

Walla wasn't injury issues.

Again, why not include VFL? His injuries have been Glandular Fever and that's it so far.

Your analysis lacks depth as you look only at AFL.

Fairly dismissive post as per usual Ethan but I'd expect nothing less from you...!! Im looking at the last 2 years, senior games and not VFL.

Shiel has had more than one injury and is nudging 30 and has had some form issues in 2021
Cox not as good as he was 1st year because of injuries/form in 2021
Why do I need to include VFL games if its my analysis and I'm analyzing AFL games played..??
Caldwell had a very delayed start to his AFL career - likewise Jones - so yes they are only now hopefully getting some continuity...
Walla was mental health which is like an injury - if you had any knowledge about this you might understand
Anyway no point arguing with you - you apparently know everything..!!

Fairly dismissive post as per usual Ethan but I'd expect nothing less from you...!! Im looking at the last 2 years, senior games and not VFL.

Shiel has had more than one injury and is nudging 30 and has had some form issues in 2021
Cox not as good as he was 1st year because of injuries/form in 2021
Why do I need to include VFL games if its my analysis and I'm analyzing AFL games played..??
Caldwell had a very delayed start to his AFL career - likewise Jones - so yes they are only now hopefully getting some continuity...
Walla was mental health which is like an injury - if you had any knowledge about this you might understand
Anyway no point arguing with you - you apparently know everything..!!
It was worthy of dismissal. Why do only senior games count when analysing injuries? I honestly can't think of a single reason why reserves games shouldn't be included.

Of course he's had more than one injury. I said one serious injury. Even with that he's still averaging over 18 games a year.

Cox has had one injury. One. Hardly injury prone. If it continues then yes, it's an issue. His form is irrelevant to that

"Mental health is like an injury" in the way that it's completely different? I have knowledge of this, saying someone is injury prone because they've had mental health issues is like saying someone is injury prone because their immune system isn't strong and catch the flu a lot. It's irrelevant to the specific analysis you're doing.

I think you could argue a case that all o the following players in our list are a bit injury prone - certainly over the last couple of years (*Cox, Reid and Jones still all young but have had injures);-

Jones, Cox & Stewart are the only ones I fear for on that list, but Jones & Cox are young, plenty of time to get right.

I would add Stringer but not too bad considering.

Any discussion of the Essendon group being more injury prone should reference our games lost vs comp average

It’s a very tough sport. A bunch of players from each club will be injured each year. Kind of a so what unless we are behind our competition. Are we?

James Stewart has had an interrupted career. But I’m not seeing anyone else on the list who has chronic struggles.

Which is dumb.

As Ethan pointed out a large chunk of games you're attributing to "injuries" is because of form.

I’d love to see a rating/10 for AFL Players called Injury Resistance where 10 is basically not getting injured, or recovering so fast (to niggles) that there’s no impact, and 0 is never getting on the park.

Would need a few years on a list to get an estimate. It’d never be an exact science, either. Way too many variables to get anything more than a loose indicator out of it.

I’ll have a stab at a few:
Merrett 8
Stringer 6
Redman 9
Cox 5
Langford 6
Parish 7

I’d love to see a rating/10 for AFL Players called Injury Resistance where 10 is basically not getting injured, or recovering so fast (to niggles) that there’s no impact, and 0 is never getting on the park.

Would need a few years on a list to get an estimate. It’d never be an exact science, either. Way too many variables to get anything more than a loose indicator out of it.

I’ll have a stab at a few:
Merrett 8
Stringer 6
Redman 9
Cox 5
Langford 6
Parish 7

I love this idea frodos gardener ! Almost like a resilience rating to play AFL senior football.
As you said its not an exact science but you could include things like - consecutive games played, time out with injury, other time out (form/fitness), general physical hardiness and/or ability to play through pain.
As you've identified Redman would certainly have a high rating - as well as McGrath, Kelly, probably even Heppell (with the exception of 2020) has been pretty resilient

Any discussion of the Essendon group being more injury prone should reference our games lost vs comp average

It’s a very tough sport. A bunch of players from each club will be injured each year. Kind of a so what unless we are behind our competition. Are we?

James Stewart has had an interrupted career. But I’m not seeing anyone else on the list who has chronic struggles.

Injury_list_2022.jpg

View attachment 1602433
That's a very interesting graph.

To me it presents a clear inverse correlation between games lost to injury and where teams finish on the ladder. the interesting outlier is Geelong, who I suspect had depth to cover a lot of the injuries they had or perhaps had more injuries in the younger and less experienced players (just speculation, I have not done any research).

That's a very interesting graph.

To me it presents a clear inverse correlation between games lost to injury and where teams finish on the ladder. the interesting outlier is Geelong, who I suspect had depth to cover a lot of the injuries they had or perhaps had more injuries in the younger and less experienced players (just speculation, I have not done any research).
Consider we had Hurley (20 games) who hasn't featured for us for years and was probably done anyway. And another 20 from tippa (if they counted his full season), though an outlier himself as he's returned

Discount the 40 as pseudo retired veterans and we come back to the pack
Which is to say, I don't think injury cost us games last season, but it's certainly stunting development in areas.

Jones, cox and Reid quite specifically are ones we can't afford to be missing such large chunks so early on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back