Training 2022 - 2023 Off-Season and Pre-Season training Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting to note and it comes as no surprise to me but might deflate a few about their opinions on Morrison. He is going to play every game if fit. He is a consistent and mature performer on that wing. Knows the game plan and provides on field leadership especially at stoppages organising our midfield.

Lake has admitted that he was cooked after the 2015 season and the club was right to tap him on the shoulder. Playing him forward would have thrown out the forward line balance.

The biggest problem is that Hawthorn lost Cyril Rioli at a young age, and the draftees that were selected didn't kick on as expected. The pipeline of young talent couldn't be maintained, which is the purpose of a draft that is based on your finishing position.
It really is a subject far too often rehashed but there were a lot of unfortunate things that kept hitting us. Rough's cancer diagnosis, Brad Hill's departure, Cyril's disenfranchisement and early retirement, Tom's leg break, Birch's endless PCL issues. There were also things that were entirely our fault such as pushing Mitchell and Lewis out the door all at once when it would have been far better for both Tom and Jaeger to integrate to our side with them there.

Then there's just a lot which boils down to luck with players. Guthrie and Shiels were pretty much the same sort of player for most of their careers, Guthrie was able to take the next step in Geelong's most recent success but Shiels wasn't able to do the same for us.

Couldn't ask to be in a more different position now, it'll be interesting to see how it works out for us.

Interesting to note and it comes as no surprise to me but might deflate a few about their opinions on Morrison. He is going to play every game if fit. He is a consistent and mature performer on that wing. Knows the game plan and provides on field leadership especially at stoppages organising our midfield.
No surprise here. He's one of the first picked.

Sounds like Weddle won't be debuting for a little while.

Does he come straight it round one, sans a practice match? Interesting dilemma.

Good reviews on BMAC and Seamus Strapping Young Lad. And a spot on review on Scrimshaw

Jack Scrimshaw

"Scrim uses the ball well and intercept marks – I think he’s just trying to find his spot in the team. I think he’s just got to keep using his offensive weapons – he’s such a beautiful kick when he gets the footy, so we want to try and get the ball in his hands as much as we can. Similar to Dimma, it’s about finding that balance between offense and then defending your man when he's dangerous. Hopefully he can get the ball into his hands through intercept marks, but also some handball receives and uncontested marks, because we are a better team when he’s got the footy."

This reads exactly like the praise and criticism of him on this board. His spot isn’t assured. He is good at intercepting and kicking. He doesn’t get enough uncontested footy through run to revive and making space. He needs to find the balance between offence and defence.

I'm genuinely surprised how highly Simmo seems to rate Bramble, especially as a backman.

Can't wait to read up on the forwards, I think O'Sullivan could debut for us early this season.
If Bramble does anything well it's move, he's a great runner - provides a lot of overlap. We're clearly looking for that sort of player in how we want to move the ball, and we already have pretty strong representation in other ways down back.

To me he's unreliable by foot and needs some work defensively but it's pretty clear the coaches are putting a premium on what he's good at.

Seamus was very good against the Cats. Great to see him get some pats on the back. He’s electric by foot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm genuinely surprised how highly Simmo seems to rate Bramble, especially as a backman.

Can't wait to read up on the forwards, I think O'Sullivan could debut for us early this season.
I find it kinda ironic in a way I literally was thinking in Brambles emulates a bit of a Kade Simpson vibe so I am not surprised he has taken a liken to Bramble.

Seamus was very good against the Cats. Great to see him get some pats on the back. He’s electric by foot.
I am desperately keen for Seamus to show his stuff this year.

Like Brocky, he's fallen away from people's calculations, almost like a mental write-off, it would be incredible if he could just 'appear' as a high quality recruit.

I
I am desperately keen for Seamus to show his stuff this year.

Like Brocky, he's fallen away from people's calculations, almost like a mental write-off, it would be incredible if he could just 'appear' as a high quality recruit.
Seamus’s write up sounds a lot like Darren Pritchard. If he turned out half a good as Pritch, I’d be happy.

Wow I hadn't seen the average age/game played stats for each club this year.

I knew we had a young squad but this has to be the youngest and least experienced side in the competition since expansion. You can't fault Lewis' logic in this article based on that alone.
It’s close in age and only a little less experienced than our 2008 premiership side. Get on board the hawks! 😂

I wonder how much time Meek had to buy ?

Jack Scrimshaw

"Scrim uses the ball well and intercept marks – I think he’s just trying to find his spot in the team. I think he’s just got to keep using his offensive weapons – he’s such a beautiful kick when he gets the footy, so we want to try and get the ball in his hands as much as we can. Similar to Dimma, it’s about finding that balance between offense and then defending your man when he's dangerous. Hopefully he can get the ball into his hands through intercept marks, but also some handball receives and uncontested marks, because we are a better team when he’s got the footy."
Damn guess I have been extremely staunch with Scrimshaw and overlooking a lot of things being said about him basically all off-season hence why the coaches get paid the big bucks and I don't. Appears better decision making on when to defend and when to get involved in the play is the forefront of the issue. I must admit this is one of the times I will have to bite the bullet and admit I was wrong, I am confident he will work it out though. Furthermore will be interesting to see what the line up is v Collingwood. As much as I can see some similarities between Bramble and Kade Simpson, one of the things Bramble will need to work on is some of those dingy kicks he can occasionally do ( which alot of our player need to get out of their system tbh )

Wow I hadn't seen the average age/game played stats for each club this year.

I knew we had a young squad but this has to be the youngest and least experienced side in the competition since expansion. You can't fault Lewis' logic in this article based on that alone.

It (age) wasn’t unusual before expansion though. It seems players are being retained on lists longer now. The low games played is unusual though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back