Rumour 2022 Draft Rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Consider posting your hypothetical Pick swaps, or opinions on what's fair, in the linked thread instead! That way, you can discuss in the proper space and this thread can remain more on topic

rumour (n)​

1. information, often a mixture of truth and untruth, passed around verbally
  2. gossip or hearsay

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, we’re fine with that.

When…

VIC kids stop telling clubs they don’t want to leave Melbourne/Geelong.

It’s a national competition. If they’re not prepared to move interstate, don’t sign the consent form.

Rookie contracts are extended to 4 years, and clubs have the right to extend contracts out to 8 years.

Kids stay for the full length of their contract.

Clubs have to declare all third party
Its not only the Vic kids that steer clubs away from recruiting them.

I agree with the 4 years min for Rookie's

There were rumours that we told one kid last year, if he was there at our second pick, we would take him. And that’s from the kid himself.

Turns out the kid didn’t even last to our first pick.
Sounds like the reverse Dodoro.

I think GWS & Suns should get some extra Sal Cap relief as they need to pay more for players for retention at this stage as new clubs
I'm not sure extra salary cap is the solution. They're already paying average players way more than they are worth to meet the cap floor. I think extra list spots is a better solution.

3 weeks out from the draft. Aside from Cadman, I'd suggest none of the clubs have locked anything away. Then you factor in pick trades.

Still recall 2 years ago when North picked Phillips at 3. Not even Cal picked it the night before. Literally no one knew outside of the recruiters themselves.

Yep. Kind of threw everything out of whack that selection as I was honestly expecting Sydney to get DGB, and I think Sydney were going to go after DGB but when McDonald was suddenly and unexpectedly available at our pick we couldn't say no.

3 weeks out from the draft. Aside from Cadman, I'd suggest none of the clubs have locked anything away. Then you factor in pick trades.

Still recall 2 years ago when North picked Phillips at 3. Not even Cal picked it the night before. Literally no one knew outside of the recruiters themselves.
It’s rare - he had an amazing strike rate last year.

The phillips draft was tough as so many Vic kids didn’t get to play.

There were rumours that we told one kid last year, if he was there at our second pick, we would take him. And that’s from the kid himself.

Turns out the kid didn’t even last to our first pick.

Hawthorn told Dylan Moore they'd take him with their first pick (45) in 2017 if available. We didn't, because we didn't expect James Worpel to still be undrafted. At pick 67 we finally took Moore. It must have been a nervous wait for him, considering he was a huge Hawks fan as a kid too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Denver Grainger-Barras was a lock to land at Sydney. But Logan McDonald was unexpectedly available and they took him instead.

So you can always count on certain teams throwing a spanner in the works.

Yes, but leading into that draft Cal mentioned he wasn’t sure who we would pick.

Completely different to what’s going around the industry at the moment.

Hawthorn told Dylan Moore they'd take him with their first pick (45) in 2017 if available. We didn't, because we didn't expect James Worpel to still be undrafted. At pick 67 we finally took Moore. It must have been a nervous wait for him, considering he was a huge Hawks fan as a kid too.
Jesus Christ that’s a steal if I’ve ever seen one

Jesus Christ that’s a steal if I’ve ever seen one

St.Kilda (Clark and Coffield) and Carlton (Dow and O'Brien) both had 2 top ten picks.

We didn't enter the draft until 45.

There is as much skill as there is luck sometimes with talent identification.

St.Kilda (Clark and Coffield) and Carlton (Dow and O'Brien) both had 2 top ten picks.

We didn't enter the draft until 45.

There is as much skill as there is luck sometimes with talent identification.
Clark and Coffield aren't that bad in fairness.

Essendon actually did okay with Brandon Zerk-Thatcher and Matt Guelfi at 66 and 77 actually.

A pretty average draft though, still

Clark and Coffield aren't that bad in fairness.

Essendon actually did okay with Brandon Zerk-Thatcher and Matt Guelfi at 66 and 77 actually.

A pretty average draft though, still

Don't mind the Saints lads, but Worpel has won a B&F and Moore just averaged 20 touches and over a goal a game (only player other than Bontempelli).

Will see how all 4 fare after their careers are done.

Edit: I love Guelfi by the way.

Denver Grainger-Barras was a lock to land at Sydney. But Logan McDonald was unexpectedly available and they took him instead.

So you can always count on certain teams throwing a spanner in the works.
That sounds like Dodo music

Adelaide will attempt to get back into the 1st round 2022 if a certain player slips to where they think they can swing a deal using 2023 draft collateral, they also have another later target if that player is taken. Will only take the one player though is what I'm hearing.

And another Ashcroft in 2024
If he didn't have a brother, would Will nominate for FS and move to lions.

Would it not make sense to stay in Vic close to family. But with FS, he has more surety that his brother will get drafted to lions as well and they can play together.

I felt like the Davey nomination was delayed for long for same reason, they wanted assurance the other Davey would also get picked up by Bombers.

If he didn't have a brother, would Will nominate for FS and move to lions.

Would it not make sense to stay in Vic close to family. But with FS, he has more surety that his brother will get drafted to lions as well and they can play together.

I felt like the Davey nomination was delayed for long for same reason, they wanted assurance the other Davey would also get picked up by Bombers.
It wasn't

I've heard it'll be Wardlaw, Tsatas or Humphrey depending on who North takes, if we keep the pick.

If Wardlaw is there we will take him.
This makes the most sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back