World Cup 2022 FIFA World Cup - Group E - (Spain, Costa Rica, Germany, Japan)

Remove this Banner Ad

Is the first tiebreaker goal difference? If Germany beat Costa Rica 1-0 and Japan and Spain draw 1-1, who gets 2nd? Both Japan Germany 4 pts, 3:3 goals scored goals against

Yeah, the first tiebreaker will be goal difference.

The next tiebreaker after that will be goals scored.

The following tiebreaker (given your example of 3-3) will be head to head. Japan beat Germany 2-1.

Yeah, the first tiebreaker will be goal difference.

The next tiebreaker after that will be goals scored.

The following tiebreaker (given your example of 3-3) will be head to head. Japan beat Germany 2-1.
So Germany probably have to beat Costa Rica by more than 1 goal or at least make the game high scoring then to force Japan to have to beat Spain to qualify.

So Germany probably have to beat Costa Rica by more than 1 goal or at least make the game high scoring then to force Japan to have to beat Spain to qualify.

Nah, it’s even simpler than that. What Germany need is a win over Costa Rica and Spain to beat Japan. The group would end with Spain on 7pts, Germany on 4pts and Japan/Costa Rica on 3pts.

Despite Germany being bottom on 1pt, I actually have them as favourites to progress in the final group game.

Nah, it’s even simpler than that. What Germany need is a win over Costa Rica and Spain to beat Japan. The group would end with Spain on 7pts, Germany on 4pts and Japan/Costa Rica on 3pts.

Despite Germany being bottom on 1pt, I actually have them as favourites to progress in the final group game.
Yes, however Germany shouldn't rely on Spain winning as a Spain draw also gets them first

Yes, however Germany shouldn't rely on Spain winning as a Spain draw also gets them first

I see what you meant now. Yeah, Germany would need a high scoring match to give themselves the best opportunity to qualify.

Maybe not shot down, but it’s a decent question that would get more responses and discussion in the sbs World Cup general thread.

You’re not the first and won’t be the last to ask a valid question seeking advice.

As an aside, and not solely in relation to you, in football talk I wonder why people (and I know many) who open statement chat with “I’m a footy person/background/grew up with”. It in some ways insinuates that the other person is not.
I'm certainly not trying to insinuate anything, just that I'm not as passionate with soccer in this case as some other posters will be.

My research would be removing offside (maybe not completely) and see how the beautiful game evolves. Then I'll have something to compare with.

then you would have Aussie Rules / Gaelic football but without hands.

If Rugby and Rugby League got rid of the forward pass, then it would would be American Football.

Appreciate the sports for what they are. Aussie Rules is a sport that has removed limitations found in other sports such as offsides, knock-ons etc., but has it's own limitations that don't exist in other sports, like not tackling below the knees, or every second officiating decision being a subjective interpretation of what the umpire thinks the player is trying to do. How often in these match threads has a poster said the officiating in a world cup match has been awful? Rare. The rules are fairly black and white. On the other hand, go into an AFL match thread and it's every second post! It's one of the worst things about our sport.

True, but Japan's tails will be up. They will be buzzing, and will take that momentum into the Costa Rica game. I think they'll win it, which means Germany's 2022 World Cup future is entirely dependent upon how they do against Spain.

I said Costa Rica might improve. Anything might happen in that group now but I suspect Spain and Germany will get through.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was way too easy for Spain

Under del Bosque they used to go all the way to the corner flag then back out to retain possession. It was a great tactic when they had Xavi and Iniesta to slice open defences. It didn't quite work out under Lopetegui as he lost those elite players. Enrique has worked out a hybrid style where they keep possession but are willing to ping it into Morata from the wings. It's more entertaining to watch also.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back