List Mgmt. 2022 List Management and trading thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this format on the West Coast board and thought it might help understand our current list position

1665798571288.png

Last edited:
I think we should be in the trade for Bowes and Salary Dump and have two scenarios

1. Use 2023 1st - Adelaide receive Rankine, Bowes Pick 7 and Pick 25 while Gold Coast receive Pick 5 and 23 and future 1st Round pick. (Gold Coast gain 293 points)

2. Use this year's 1st Round Pick - Adelaide receive Rankine, Bowes Pick 34 (GC's worst 2nd Rnd Pies) and Pick 25 while Gold Coast Receive Pick 5 and Pick 23. This would leave us with 1298 points and we could match a bid to Pick 8 and Max M won't go that high.

If these scenarios suite Gold Coast then an early conclusion could be done however as Bowes remains contracted he can stop the deal. Like McPherson did last year. He wants Midfield minutes and we can provide that. We may have to get our Brisbane Lions connections to sell Adelaide. Especially Keays.

Heavily weighted in GC favour both scenarios why would we?
rankine OOC and bowes they want out

Happy for us to explore taking Bowes, but any scenario must be to our benefit here.

GC looking for a salary dump to keep star players, they are gaining a lot out of this, so naturally they have to bend over.

WeedsMullet84

Cancelled
Oct 31, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtic, Glenelg
Happy for us to explore taking Bowes, but any scenario must be to our benefit here.

GC looking for a salary dump to keep star players, they are gaining a lot out of this, so naturally they have to bend over.

Far out, still a lot of people not getting the salary cap dump thing.

The AFL have already indicated they’re willing to green light salary dumps where the receiving team of said player + dump are also able to receive a fairly high draft pick in terms of compensation.

My guess is it would be GC Pick 7 + Rankine + Bowes for Crows Pick 5 and potentially some backended picks next year for points for GC academy selections

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Far out, still a lot of people not getting the salary cap dump thing.

The AFL have already indicated they’re willing to green light salary dumps where the receiving team of said player + dump are also able to receive a fairly high draft pick in terms of compensation.

My guess is it would be GC Pick 7 + Rankine + Bowes for Crows Pick 5 and potentially some backended picks next year for points for GC academy selections

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Whats not to get, thats exactly what I thought will happen?

I think everyone or most on here knows this? Is this new to you is it?

CROW in BALI

Cancelled
Freeze MND Challenge 2021
Oct 12, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
If GC have got themselves to a point where they can only offer $650 to keep Rankine but have $800 locked to a player like Bowes with all the young guns coming out of contract they are worse off than I thought.
There are so many ways the trade period and draft could work out for us this year but if by some chance we end up with a late first rounder I would not be disappointed if we drafted Oliver Hollands and play the long game with Elijah.

crow2crow

Trapped in Victoria
Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
If GC have got themselves to a point where they can only offer $650 to keep Rankine but have $800 locked to a player like Bowes with all the young guns coming out of contract they are worse off than I thought.
There are so many ways the trade period and draft could work out for us this year but if by some chance we end up with a late first rounder I would not be disappointed if we drafted Oliver Hollands and play the long game with Elijah.
Yes but I also wonder why has bowes fallen out of favour/clearly would need a medical and so on before you would touch

What sounds too good to be true is too good to be true.... All that glitters is not gold 🤣

crow2crow

Trapped in Victoria
Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
So Bowes is a liability for GC at the moment. Thus why pick 7 is on the table for a club that will take his salary.

how about:
Adelaide Give: pick 5, 2023 2nd, 2023 3rd
Adelaide get: Rankine, Bowes, 7, 34

GC get Bowes off their books and some 2023 draft capital for their academy kids.
AFC would do that deal
Doubt GC would but could try

CROW in BALI

Cancelled
Freeze MND Challenge 2021
Oct 12, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yes but I also wonder why has bowes fallen out of favour/clearly would need a medical and so on before you would touch

What sounds too good to be true is too good to be true.... All that glitters is not gold 🤣
Didn’t mean for us to take Bowes, I’m not interested to go there.
Just using the situation to demonstrate how bad their cap issue may be and could it open up an opportunity to make a good offer to Elijah when out of contract.

Very much an unlikely outcome but just trying to nut out which way we may go if we were somehow unable to use 5 and ended up late first round, is there a mid we would have in mind or look at another option ? Just spitballing really.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
I'd hazard a guess that the Suns are going to make it a point not to deal Bowes to us. Any scenario that sees that wrapped up in the Rankine deal would be a potential win for us and the Suns will be vindictive enough to make sure it happens. They'll have enough offers from Vic teams for Bowes they won't need to worry.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
I'd hazard a guess that the Suns are going to make it a point not to deal Bowes to us. Any scenario that sees that wrapped up in the Rankine deal would be a potential win for us and the Suns will be vindictive enough to make sure it happens. They'll have enough offers from Vic teams for Bowes they won't need to worry.
Yeah I can see this. Suns will want to make these negotiations as tough as possible, and keeping Bowes away from it will help with that

Feels like the Rankine deal is a 'last day of the trade period' kind of deal

Jetafl

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Astros Detroit Red Wings KC Chiefs
At the end of the day, it is up to Bowes as he is contracted so if he nominates us that is the key (he has to want to go to another club)

At the end of the day, it is up to Bowes as he is contracted so if he nominates us that is the key (he has to want to go to another club)
Correct, the player decides where he wants to play... clubs can't dictate.

Crow_68

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide

Makes you wonder how much they have paid King, Miller and Lukosius to extend.

Makes you wonder how much they have paid King, Miller and Lukosius to extend.
Luko would be crazy to leave the Suns, he wont get that kind of money from either the Power or Crows give his current ability.

Whats your thoughts on Bowes and how he could benefit by getting him?
He's the right age profile for us & also someone who was best 22, but now out of favour & on the fringe of his side.

Definitely not worth anywhere near $800k pa rumoured, but if helped us get a top 10 pick & a need for our side, worth considering.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Dont Rowell and Anderson become due for renew soon?
Can't see Rowell commanding anything like the $$$$'s talked about in the past on his output since his injury added to the fact he has really looked a bit too one dimensional to my eye.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Can't see Rowell commanding anything like the $$$$'s talked about in the past on his output since his injury added to the fact he has really looked a bit too one dimensional to my eye.
They may even decide to move him on while his potential price is high

huludicidal

Premiership Player
Jul 22, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
I keep reading about a lack of list spots. Let’s analyse that a bit.

So far we know that Luke Brown has retired.

The one “in” we’re 99.9% sure about is Rankine. So that balances. Hooray!

We also know Frampton is a 99.9% chance of being traded to Collingwood.

Rowe is clearly not being offered a contract.

We need to make room for Butts and Strachan to be elevated from the rookie list to the senior list. So Frampton and Rowe being shipped off gives us the room to do that.

Then, we need to make at least one selection in the ND (rookie elevations plus ND selections must = a minimum of 3). We’d ideally like 3 selections, including Michalanney, i feel.

Then, if we are to bring in any player(s) other than Rankine (eg Bowes or Poulter), we’d need to free up another one or two. For argument’s sake, let’s say it’s just one.

So, here’s how I would free up these additional 6 list spots.

1) Trade Frampton to the Pies (this is a given)

2) Demote Seedsman to the Rookie List (into the slot currently taken by Butts), or maybe he retires. Maybe he’s eligible for the LTI list still. Any way you slice it, he doesn’t count towards the senior list numbers at the start of 2023.

3) Trade Rowe to the Dogs (or delist him). This feels like a “Rowe plus pick” to rise up 4–5 spots in the late 2nd / early 3rd round situation to me (see below).

4) Trade Sholl to the highest bidder (that he’s willing to play for). I can see us accepting a 3rd rounder. He’s just not a Nicks type and it feels like it’s over for him here.

5) Trade Crouch to anyone who wants to offer him a regular AFL gig. Again, a 3rd rounder will get this done.

6) Demote McPherson to the rookie list (into the slot currently taken by Strachan). If this needs to involve delisting him and then re-drafting him at the end of the RD, so be it. Nobody is going to steal him because he’s Andrew McPherson.

That gives us 7 senior list slots, when the Brown retirement is factored in.

Butts and Strachan being upgraded then leaves us with 5 senior slots.

Delisting Davis gives us 3 vacant rookie list spots. This is reduced to 2 when the fact that Turner was only able to be selected due to long term injuries is factored in.

Seedsman and McPherson go into those 2 rookie spots.

We fill the 5 senior spots with Rankine, one of Poulter / Bowes, plus 3 draft picks (including Michalanney).

If there’s someone we love who slips through, we delist Turner after the ND (sorry Brett, but nobody actually cares about you) and take the slider at pick 5 of the rookie draft. Then take McPherson in Rd 2 and he can play our his contract on the rookie list until we inevitably delist him.

There’s only 2 caveats here.

1) Does anyone actually want Sholl? He’s an endurance athlete with an accurate kick on him, and he can find plenty of outside ball. Unfortunately, he’s soft as butter, his kicking suffers under AFL pressure, he doesn’t have much penetration in his kicking, he’s not very quick, and he’s still built like a 12 year old despite 4 or so AFL preseasons. Maybe a 3rd rounder won’t be on offer? Maybe he’s happy to lap up the rest of his contract here while running around in the twos? Who knows.

2) Does anyone actually want Crouch? The likes of Crouch, T Mitchell and even J Lyons really seem to be out of favour across the AFL landscape, so it doesn’t really seem like he’d walk into many best 22s. It’s all about finding a club that doesn’t have a pure extractor already in their side, and doesn’t already lack speed in their midfield. Remains to be seen whether there’ll be any realistic trades on the table here. If he stays, he’d be a decent shot at the Magarey because he isn’t playing senior footy for us again unless Berry and Keays go down with injuries at the same time.

Now for the actual trades.

Personally, I’m prioritising Bowes over Poulter. We are absolutely primed to receive a salary dump, and pick 7 at a reduced price as a result of taking that on would be great too, considering we are losing a top 10 pick in the Rankine deal. We’re also obviously already dealing directly with GC, so why the hell not.

Trade 1:
We give: Pick 5, Pick 23, 2023 2nd rounder, 2023 3rd rounder
We receive: Rankine, Pick 7, Bowes, Pick 34

Trade 2:
We give: Sholl
We receive: 2023 3rd rounder (from mystery club)

Trade 3:
We give: Crouch

Trade 4:
We give: Frampton, one of the newly acquired 2023 3rd Rounders
We receive: Pick 42 (Pies)

Trade 5:
We give: Rowe, Pick 42
We receive: Pick 37 (Dogs)

Trade 6:
We give: Picks 34, 37 and the other newly acquired 2023 3rd rounder
We receive: a pick in the 24-27 range (there’s almost always a club looking to do this for various reasons)

We then take:
7, 26ish and 42 to the draft

7: B Humphrey or M Phillipou (personally I’m taking Humphrey)

26ish: Keeler if he’s still on the board seems the obvious choice (big IF), otherwise at least two of Hustwaite, Barnett, Hollands, Hayes or Magor will be on the board. I like Hayes and Hustwaite a lot, and both address list needs. Hollands is likely a pipe dream.

42: Michalanney (if no bids come before 42, we keep trading down to gain assets)

I suppose trading out McAsey for a 3rd rounder might be our backup plan if nobody wants one of Sholl or Crouch. Tough to see anyone else on our list being involved in a trade at this point.

One thing I’ve really changed my mind on lately is that I now strongly feel we need to hold on to our 2023 first rounder. It’s a long way away, but one of Ashton Moir or Jack Delean is pretty likely to be available at our pick, and that excites me a lot more than anything available to us in this year’s draft does.

Fully aware none of this will happen.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
I keep reading about a lack of list spots. Let’s analyse that a bit.

So far we know that Luke Brown has retired.

The one “in” we’re 99.9% sure about is Rankine. So that balances. Hooray!

We also know Frampton is a 99.9% chance of being traded to Collingwood.

Rowe is clearly not being offered a contract.

We need to make room for Butts and Strachan to be elevated from the rookie list to the senior list. So Frampton and Rowe being shipped off gives us the room to do that.

Then, we need to make at least one selection in the ND (rookie elevations plus ND selections must = a minimum of 3). We’d ideally like 3 selections, including Michalanney, i feel.

Then, if we are to bring in any player(s) other than Rankine (eg Bowes or Poulter), we’d need to free up another one or two. For argument’s sake, let’s say it’s just one.

So, here’s how I would free up these additional 6 list spots.

1) Trade Frampton to the Pies (this is a given)

2) Demote Seedsman to the Rookie List (into the slot currently taken by Butts), or maybe he retires. Maybe he’s eligible for the LTI list still. Any way you slice it, he doesn’t count towards the senior list numbers at the start of 2023.

3) Trade Rowe to the Dogs (or delist him). This feels like a “Rowe plus pick” to rise up 4–5 spots in the late 2nd / early 3rd round situation to me (see below).

4) Trade Sholl to the highest bidder (that he’s willing to play for). I can see us accepting a 3rd rounder. He’s just not a Nicks type and it feels like it’s over for him here.

5) Trade Crouch to anyone who wants to offer him a regular AFL gig. Again, a 3rd rounder will get this done.

6) Demote McPherson to the rookie list (into the slot currently taken by Strachan). If this needs to involve delisting him and then re-drafting him at the end of the RD, so be it. Nobody is going to steal him because he’s Andrew McPherson.

That gives us 7 senior list slots, when the Brown retirement is factored in.

Butts and Strachan being upgraded then leaves us with 5 senior slots.

Delisting Davis gives us 3 vacant rookie list spots. This is reduced to 2 when the fact that Turner was only able to be selected due to long term injuries is factored in.

Seedsman and McPherson go into those 2 rookie spots.

We fill the 5 senior spots with Rankine, one of Poulter / Bowes, plus 3 draft picks (including Michalanney).

If there’s someone we love who slips through, we delist Turner after the ND (sorry Brett, but nobody actually cares about you) and take the slider at pick 5 of the rookie draft. Then take McPherson in Rd 2 and he can play our his contract on the rookie list until we inevitably delist him.

There’s only 2 caveats here.

1) Does anyone actually want Sholl? He’s an endurance athlete with an accurate kick on him, and he can find plenty of outside ball. Unfortunately, he’s soft as butter, his kicking suffers under AFL pressure, he doesn’t have much penetration in his kicking, he’s not very quick, and he’s still built like a 12 year old despite 4 or so AFL preseasons. Maybe a 3rd rounder won’t be on offer? Maybe he’s happy to lap up the rest of his contract here while running around in the twos? Who knows.

2) Does anyone actually want Crouch? The likes of Crouch, T Mitchell and even J Lyons really seem to be out of favour across the AFL landscape, so it doesn’t really seem like he’d walk into many best 22s. It’s all about finding a club that doesn’t have a pure extractor already in their side, and doesn’t already lack speed in their midfield. Remains to be seen whether there’ll be any realistic trades on the table here. If he stays, he’d be a decent shot at the Magarey because he isn’t playing senior footy for us again unless Berry and Keays go down with injuries at the same time.

Now for the actual trades.

Personally, I’m prioritising Bowes over Poulter. We are absolutely primed to receive a salary dump, and pick 7 at a reduced price as a result of taking that on would be great too, considering we are losing a top 10 pick in the Rankine deal. We’re also obviously already dealing directly with GC, so why the hell not.

Trade 1:
We give: Pick 5, Pick 23, 2023 2nd rounder, 2023 3rd rounder
We receive: Rankine, Pick 7, Bowes, Pick 34

Trade 2:
We give: Sholl

Trade 3:
We give: Crouch

Trade 4:
We give: Frampton, one of the newly acquired 2023 3rd Rounders
We receive: Pick 42 (Pies)

Trade 5:
We give: Rowe, Pick 42
We receive: Pick 37 (Dogs)

Trade 6:
We give: Picks 34, 37 and the other newly acquired 2023 3rd rounder
We receive: a pick in the 24-27 range (there’s almost always a club looking to do this for various reasons)

We then take:
7, 26ish and 42 to the draft

7: B Humphrey or M Phillipou (personally I’m taking Humphrey)

26ish: Keeler if he’s still on the board seems the obvious choice (big IF), otherwise at least two of Hustwaite, Barnett, Hollands, Hayes or Magor will be on the board. I like Hayes and Hustwaite a lot, and both address list needs. Hollands is likely a pipe dream.

42: Michalanney (if no bids come before 42, we keep trading down to gain assets)

I suppose trading out McAsey for a 3rd rounder might be our backup plan if nobody wants one of Sholl or Crouch. Tough to see anyone else on our list being involved in a trade at this point.

One thing I’ve really changed my mind on lately is that I now strongly feel we need to hold on to our 2023 first rounder. It’s a long way away, but one of Ashton Moir or Jack Delean is pretty likely to be available at our pick, and that excites me a lot more than anything available to us in this year’s draft does.

Fully aware none of this will happen.
I like Humphrey too but his all round football is way too untidy to priortise over Phillipou if both were available to us.

Brayden George is the one we should take a chance on 2nd round onwards if you're looking at risk vs reward.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
I agree with LeftyLuke & yourself ....Rowell not impressing me ....one dimensional, Jack Graham type player

One paced, gets huge CP's ....but very little outside ball ....and as Lefty said, easy to tag out of a game

Has to use strength, rather than speed, to break clear of opponents

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back