Review 2022 Mid Season Draft - Wednesday June 1 @ 6.30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

nuh, we want midfielders not flankers pretending to be mids:relaxed:
Shiel is an out and out midfielder. Just a strange comment

Maybe the AFL will tell us on the day, but until then BigFooty has to do it's own research once again. Which teams have picks in the MSD? At the moment, I have 14 clubs with either confirmed picks or the ability to create one - but no pick currently for GWS, Bulldogs, Brisbane or Melbourne. Then the question becomes who takes multiple picks...

Regardless, I have a top 3 of...

1. West Coast - Jake Florenca
2. North Melbourne - Massimo D'Ambrosio
3. Essendon - Jai Culley

No messing around for West Coast, just take the guy who will walk into their midfield the very next week. And while North have many needs, their footskills are horrible and Massimo would become their best kick. Essendon can then just take the next most highly rated 19 year old.
Take the guy who will walk into the WC midfield you say? That's a massive field to choose from then. I think they'll take a longer term approach.

Carmichael had 26 disposals and a goal against port. Since D'Ambrossio will be gone before our pick im hoping Carmichael gets to us.

So who would you rate more highly to be taken in the MSD (and why)?

Okay now that I think about it, there might not be a lot of better 19 year olds…I prefer D’Ambrosio, think he’s the best player available. I’d probably take Josh Browne if I was after a true midfielder. I have a soft spot for Jamieson Ballantyne, Oskar Faulkhead is looking alright. I think Culley might be more of a fringe mid, half forward type.

But overall, I would prefer the older guys like Florenca, Voss and Carmichael this year.

I think there’s some good talls or third talls available too - Kantilla, Bauer, El Nour. I’d rate them more highly personally. Ramsden as a ruck prospect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hey eth-dog would you s**t on the Eagles and take Florenca if they take Culley? :oops::p

we need big midfielders

I'd be fine with that as it would then force us to take a 2nd 19 yr old.

We're at the start of a rebuild, a 19 yr old with a potentially higher ceiling is a better option.
If we nail the mid-season draft somehow then it could fast forward us a little when added with the national draft (and possible even last years' drafts as we haven't even got our 1st round pick on the park yet).

I can’t see how the eagles get both Culley and Florenca, both are very highly rated

Last edited:
Maybe the AFL will tell us on the day, but until then BigFooty has to do it's own research once again. Which teams have picks in the MSD? At the moment, I have 14 clubs with either confirmed picks or the ability to create one - but no pick currently for GWS, Bulldogs, Brisbane or Melbourne. Then the question becomes who takes multiple picks...

Regardless, I have a top 3 of...

1. West Coast - Jake Florenca
2. North Melbourne - Massimo D'Ambrosio
3. Essendon - Jai Culley

No messing around for West Coast, just take the guy who will walk into their midfield the very next week. And while North have many needs, their footskills are horrible and Massimo would become their best kick. Essendon can then just take the next most highly rated 19 year old.
We'd then take Ramsden.

Watched Jake Florenca live on Saturday...lazy 41 possessions, he was fantastic
Apparently 25 of them contested and 13 clearances. I'd be hard on the Florenca train for the Eagles but he'd be our third mature age WAFL midfield pick up in 12 months. Him, Clark and West would be playing AFL next season but I feel like we need to start adding some young mids into the mix over the next couple years

Interesting to see Ballenden a chance to be taken in the midseason. Was thinking about him a few weeks ago, practically the exact same skill set as Wright and lack of competitiveness /aggression that was present in GC days. If someone wants to commit to playing him out of the goal square for 20 games I think they'ed certainly be repaid in a similar fashion. If North have a second pick I think it would be an astute move.

With it Happening next week I am suprised with pretty much no Rumors on who is after who

I was surprised at how many rumours there have been since it’s still a week away. Lots of players have been linked.

Interesting to see Ballenden a chance to be taken in the midseason. Was thinking about him a few weeks ago, practically the exact same skill set as Wright and lack of competitiveness /aggression that was present in GC days. If someone wants to commit to playing him out of the goal square for 20 games I think they'ed certainly be repaid in a similar fashion. If North have a second pick I think it would be an astute move.

Would be surprised if he makes it past the Blues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back