List Mgmt. 2022 Mid-Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

ESPN assessment (they haven't exactly gone in depth)

Who should they pick: With a number of capable forwards available in this mid-season draft, this is a great opportunity for Port Adelaide to improve their front half so that one fewer midfielder is required to play forward. Arguably Tasmania's best prospect in the NAB League last year, Jye Menzie has copied Jackson Callow's successful move from Tasmania into the SANFL. Like Callow ast year, Menzie is looming as a prime mid-season draft candidate. Menzie is a talent around goal, kicking 10 majors in his first two SANFL League games and nine in his past four. He is also excellent setting up teammates with his entry kicks inside 50m and is reliable with his application of forward pressure.

I'm a little surprised that we would be looking at a development ruck. That's what Visentini is, so do we need another one?

Check with REH. If he had his way, we'd have 37 ruckmen on the list.

I'm a little surprised that we would be looking at a development ruck. That's what Visentini is, so do we need another one? Ramsden won't be any more support for Hayes than Dante.

I know they're looking long term, but it is not the typical modern Port ruck strategy. Unless they view Ramsden as a genuine forward option who can ruck, like Ladhams.

Still, so far we've been linked with ruckmen, a small forward, a mid and an X-factor medium forward, so clearly nobody really knows what we will do.
Rucks are a weird one.

Inageee wholeheartedly, any ruck we pick isn’t going to play afl, and we should be looking at a developing ruck.

Rucks need to be planned a few years out and a bit of a scattergun numbers approach isn’t a bad idea.

Having said that I think rucks really need time in the ruck to develop, and there’s only so much time you can give to rucks in the magpies.

I really like Dante and think it’s imperative that he continues to get lots of time in the ruck, playing forward pocket isn’t going to help him.

So it’s a bit of a catch 22.

We need and want more rucks on our list..

but there’s only 1 ruck spot in the magpies and the more rucks you add the more you dilute their time in their primary position they need to play to develop.

I think we could manage 2 1st rucks in the magpies, more than that and someone loses out I think.

I’m very keen on a few rucks at the end of the year and I’m probably more keen on them than ramsden.

Really it’ll come down to what’s left for us to pick. I quite like the club saying they’re targeting a handful of players and if they’re gone, no selection.

Hall-Kahan seems an interesting one. Good runner and a footy brain. Concerning injury history. I wonder where he fits at the end of the year.

Really it’ll come down to what’s left for us to pick. I quite like the club saying they’re targeting a handful of players and if they’re gone, no selection.

Hall-Kahan seems an interesting one. Good runner and a footy brain. Concerning injury history. I wonder where he fits at the end of the year.

I read that Hall-Kahan played 3 games i five years due to injury. He had some knee joint inflammation that didn't go away (4 years) and then some back injury. Apparently the knee injury is basically for 10-20 year olds and then usually gets better. I dont know if he is any good but he definitely has some upside in that he is playing football now. I assumed he plays something like a gus monfries but its hard to know.

Shifter Sheahan keen on Lachie Carrigan

Carrigan's upside is enormous. With a late birthday in December he is set to turn 18 on draft day (December 9) and his physical growth has been rapid. Measuring at 184cm last year, he shot up to 189cm at the start of this year and has added a further 2cm at the most recent combine to now stand at an impressive 191cm. There is potential to grow even more with height running in the family, too. Carrigan also has a light frame which he will add to in the coming years and he has worked hard to build that strength up in isolation, adding 5kg to his frame since preseason testing was conducted.

Carrigan moulds his game on Hugh McCluggage and it's not hard to see why. Carrigan spends most of his time on the wing and he is certainly a smooth mover in traffic, while also showing he has smart positioning around stoppages and in transition. Adding that scoreboard impact is certainly something to work on but he does well to set up others with his clean hands at ground level and ability to pick the right option and stay composed under pressure. His kicking is solid on his favoured left foot and he often knows when to keep the ball low or give it air.

Started watching it…what a drawn out joke. Turned off.
Yep. Somebody wake me when the draft actually starts.

Why do they put down a start time of 6pm if the first half an hour is just media waffle? Tell us when it starts and I'll tune in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back