Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Dunno, but it would at least give the game a chance.

But it would require a GWS style commitment from the NRL. Something they're not reknown for doing. Rugby league really is a non entity over here - I've heard Newcastle described as the largest AFL backwater, yet there are significantly less Rugby league players in Perth than there are Aussie Rules players in Newcastle. And Perth is 4 times the size.
A NRL club in Perth would certainly increase their TV deal

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
Dunno, but it would at least give the game a chance.

But it would require a GWS style commitment from the NRL. Something they're not reknown for doing. Rugby league really is a non entity over here - I've heard Newcastle described as the largest AFL backwater, yet there are significantly less Rugby league players in Perth than there are Aussie Rules players in Newcastle. And Perth is 4 times the size.

R.L isn't played anywhere really though outside of nsw and qld. I have legit never seen or heard of anybody in Melbourne that plays the sport, which is reflected in the number of NRL players ever coming from Victoria.

Macca180

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2021
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
R.L isn't played anywhere really though outside of nsw and qld. I have legit never seen or heard of anybody in Melbourne that plays the sport, which is reflected in the number of NRL players ever coming from Victoria.

Adelaide is the same. Never seen or heard of anyone that plays RL in South Australia either.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Adelaide is the same. Never seen or heard of anyone that plays RL in South Australia either.
I know the ex president of a league club in country WA. He realised he was doing most of the work himself, and when he put out queries about who was willing to commit to next season, he got 1 response. He then shut down the club. It's stayed closed ever since. This was the only team in WAs biggest regional town.

The council had already built dual facilities for soccer and league to use for games hosting Perth teams, which no league game has ever been played on.

On SM-X200 using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
The NRL is in a fairly unique position, because:
- it's primarily a TV sport, and makes enough out of that pay 13 players per team, and
- it has an absolute endless supply of players from the Pacific Islands, most of whom grow up playing Rugby Union, but can basically walk into any NRL team.
In other words, they don't need to worry about participation rates. In fact, they can have zero players in Melbourne, knowing that the Storm only needs to find 13 Pacific Islanders to have a competitive team.
This is a sight you will see all over Sydney on any given weekend:

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
Funny you guys say that because they are self annointed as Australia's most 'entertaining and popular sport'. Not sure what statistics are being used 😅, I would have thought your sport would have to be at least played in more than 2 of the 6 states in the country, but anyway.

Screenshot_20220829-104521_Chrome.jpg

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I know the ex president of a league club in country WA. He realised he was doing most of the work himself, and when he put out queries about who was willing to commit to next season, he got 1 response. He then shut down the club. It's stayed closed ever since. This was the only team in WAs biggest regional town.

The council had already built dual facilities for soccer and league to use for games hosting Perth teams, which no league game has ever been played on

I lived virtually opposite a sports precinct which contained a r.l. ground. The club managed to get the council to clear a swath of native bush (against the wishes of locals) for a second pitch, even though there was a huge open space allocated to rectangular sports. I have never seen anybody on that second pitch since being built. That club, arguably the leading r.l. club, has decreased in strength over time whilst the adjacent WAAFL club has boomed, especially since the construction of appropriate facilities. You wouldn't know r.l. existed in W.A. unless you knew where to look but it's different for r.u. with most private schools having the "H" posts visible.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
The NRL is in a fairly unique position, because:
- it's primarily a TV sport,

Yes, the ground is small, the camera can line up with the play and it's not too hard to follow any breakaways.

and makes enough out of that pay 13 players per team,

Only basketball is better. And really, if they wanted to improve NRL, as shown by 9s, then they could go down to 12.

it has an absolute endless supply of players from the Pacific Islands

Which has it's problems if you are worried about participation or the notion of the Australian (ahum English) game.

most of whom grow up playing Rugby Union, but can basically walk into any NRL team.

Most applicable to Perth where the primary following is r.u.

In other words, they don't need to worry about participation rates. In fact, they can have zero players in Melbourne, knowing that the Storm only needs to find 13 Pacific Islanders to have a competitive team

It does have long term implications.

weewilly

All Australian
Jul 18, 2003
Other Teams
Swans
Funny you guys say that because they are self annointed as Australia's most 'entertaining and popular sport'. Not sure what statistics are being used 😅, I would have thought your sport would have to be at least played in more than 2 of the 6 states in the country, but anyway.

View attachment 1493720
LOL & LOL! The RL urgers having a lend of themselves as usual -they should get out of NSW and QLD and see what the rest of the nation thinks about the "national" RL and it ain't much at all!

weewilly

All Australian
Jul 18, 2003
Other Teams
Swans
I note with interest that the Storm could only get 25,000 their last very important home match at AAMI when there was NO AFL Matches on in Melbourne and this is after 3/6 premierships and almost yearly finals appearance's in over 20 years of being in Melbourne.
Clearly they haven't gained much ground in Victoria.

It also only rated 51,000 on Ch 9 in Melbourne the second biggest TV market in the nation and 71,000 in total for Melb, Perth and Adelaide with a combined population of 9.1 million!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Angus Young

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Macca180

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2021
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

View attachment 1493720

Anyone can get on tickettek right now and buy an NRL Grand Final ticket.

Takes a month to sell out biggest game of the year. What the fk does that tell you? Yeah most popular sport in the country.

Imagine if it was the AFL and anyone had a chance to buy a ticket to the Grand Final. Be sold out in 2 minutes.

kranger

Club Legend
Nov 30, 2006
Kalamunda
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan District
I lived virtually opposite a sports precinct which contained a r.l. ground. The club managed to get the council to clear a swath of native bush (against the wishes of locals) for a second pitch, even though there was a huge open space allocated to rectangular sports. I have never seen anybody on that second pitch since being built. That club, arguably the leading r.l. club, has decreased in strength over time whilst the adjacent WAAFL club has boomed, especially since the construction of appropriate facilities. You wouldn't know r.l. existed in W.A. unless you knew where to look but it's different for r.u. with most private schools having the "H" posts visible.

Sounds like Hartfield Park in Forrestfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back