Play Nice 2022 Non AFL Crowds/Ratings/Finance/Development thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wow. A tenth of what the AFL would expect. The Sleeping Giant has slept in again.

I'm not one to rub it in, but sheez, 7,501 for the opening game, for a grand final replay, from two Melbourne teams! (and yes, it was played in Melbourne)

After 17 years of the A-League, with the Socceroos on the verge of a 5th consecutive WC appearance (yes, incredibly, they're about to make 5 consecutive appearances), the gap between the A-League and AFL has never been starker than it is right now.

That beanstalk the giant needs to climb definitely heads into the clouds as far as the A-League is concerned.

On the positive side, it's likely SFC will get a decent crowd in their first appearance at the new stadium, might even get over 30k.

I reckon both the Bonza Airlines (how many el cheapo airlines have gone broke in Australia in the last 30 years?) and the Victory investment will turn out dud deals for the Yanks!
I actually reckon with how Qantas/Jetstar are viewed atm from a PR perspective, if Bonza were to just focus on the basics, good customer service and decent routes, not cancelling flights as little as possible, they could go alright carving out a slice of the market.

Looks like there's going to be * all people at the T20 tomorrow at Optus.....and it's against England too

No promotion, but just as importantly overpriced tickets. If you wanted to go i'd just buy the shitty tickets facing the sun and move to an empty expensive area.

Looks like there's going to be * all people at the T20 tomorrow at Optus.....and it's against England too

No promotion, but just as importantly overpriced tickets. If you wanted to go i'd just buy the shitty tickets facing the sun and move to an empty expensive area.
Whats the ticket price range?

Whats the ticket price range?

The cheapest is $30, which would be fine, but that's limited to a small area in the sun. You'd be an idiot to want to sit there.
The same part of the ground on the other side is $75. Decent seats are $95, although some of them are facing the sun too.

If they want to charge prices like that it needs to be accompanied by a big promotional campaign. I had no idea it was on until yesterday, and that's when I saw a report of England training in Perth. I certainly haven't seen any ads.

The NBL season has launched with strong crowds. St least the NBL is a summer competition that seems to be performing and growing nicely. Two crowds over 10,000+.

The NBL season has launched with strong crowds. St least the NBL is a summer competition that seems to be performing and growing nicely. Two crowds over 10,000+.

Wildcats would average about 11,000 per game in recent non covid affected years.
Kings do ok crowd wise too.

Round 1

CodeWeekDayDateTimeHomeAwayVenueCrowdCapacity%Capacity
NBL1Sat1/101800SE MelbourneTasmaniaJohn Cain Arena5,72810,30055.61%
NBL1Sat1/102000IllawarraSydneyWIN Entertainment Centre4,0085,67370.65%
NBL1Sun2/101400MelbourneNZJohn Cain Arena7,23610,30070.25%
NBL1Sun2/101300PerthBrisbaneRAC Arena11,08314,50076.43%
NBL1Mon3/101930TasmaniaCairnsMystate Bank Arena4,2314,80088.15%
Total32,28645,57370.84%
Average6,457

Round 2 so far

CodeWeekDayDateTimeHomeAwayVenueCrowdCapacity%Capacity
NBL2Thu6/101930IllawarraSE MelbourneWin Entertainment Centre2,8065,67349.46%
NBL2Fri7/101930NZTasmaniaSpark Arnea5,3408,00066.75%
NBL2Fri7/101930SydneyBrisbaneQudos Bank Arena11,47817,47165.70%
NBL2Sat8/101730SE MelbourneCairnsJohn Cain Arena4,95310,30048.09%
NBL2Sat8/101700PerthIllawarraRAC Arena10,81614,50074.59%

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty amazing, but as I said a few pages back, it doesn't yet seem to be filtering through to the Womens' Super League, which has an astonishingly low average crowd figure of only 1,000.
The game itself sold out in 24 hours. That's impressive by anybody standards

Is that a typo, or did Tassie report identical crowds for their first 2 home games?

No typo. same crowd.

25,755 at Optus Stadium Perth for a T20 WC practice match is not too bad.

It is going to be interesting to see how many turn up in Canberra for the next two Aus v Eng matches this week.

The game itself sold out in 24 hours. That's impressive by anybody standards

The Lionesses had recently won the UEFA Women's cup for 2022. So playing the World champion US team at Wembley was a huge attraction for the success starved UK sports public. :)

Over 61,000 people at Tottenham Hotspurs football ground on Sunday afternoon UK time for a NFL game and what's even more impressive is that there were 3 premier league games In London in the same afternoon

Over 61,000 people at Tottenham Hotspurs football ground on Sunday afternoon UK time for a NFL game and what's even more impressive is that there were 3 premier league games In London in the same afternoon

Seemingly more people watch NFL than rugby league on BBC.
Also a significant number of participants.

The last 2 NFL games in London have been shown on the TV channel ITV and so will the next game in London on 30th October.
What sort of crowd would a AFL game get in London if it was up against 3 premier league games in the same afternoon?

The last 2 NFL games in London have been shown on the TV channel ITV and so will the next game in London on 30th October.

NFL games tend to be around prime time in Europe and since the NFL has got serious about promotion it has done extremely well.
I don't think it would have gathered much support from the soccer fraternity but professionalism and glitz would appeal to the tackle football
community and newcomers to boot. NFL makes full use of the modern rectangular stadiums.
It is one sport that is truly booming in England in comparison to the failing rugbies.

What sort of crowd would a AFL game get in London if it was up against 3 premier league games in the same afternoon?

It's been a while since any demonstration games have been held in London.
Unlike NFL, AFl doesn't have a great choice of locations to choose from so attendances would have to be capped.
If attendances are to be capped then that makes for a demonstration-style game rather than the preferred premiership game.
It's debatable whether the profile of Australian Football has changed.
It might even be less now that that the biffo and barge promotions are now frowned upon but significant participation growth
has caused the Great Britain League to split into English, Welsh and Scotish leagues as well as social and serious football leagues.
on top of that women's Australian football is booming.
Any AFL game would be boosted by these new participants.
IMO a AFLW game would be more suitable for the grounds and the likely attendance.
AFL doesn't have the luxury of media exposure or convenient viewing times but wherever people see Australian Football
the game usually appeals to them. That has always been the problem - exposure.
I was actually watching the NFL last night and the receiver took a great grab and the commentators went ballistic.
It was a great grab but something that occurs more frequently in AFL and AFL doesn't have the incessant stoppages of NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back