Play Nice 2022 Non AFL Crowds/Ratings/Finance/Development thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In your opinion. plenty of national competitions that draw huge crowds, ratings and interest.

Wow, punching like a marshmallow. In the world ? In Australia ? in NSW ? flat rise ? percentage rise ? a rise greater than natural increase ?
No sticking your neck out there and of course there's only opinion.
Your fear of the round ball game is showing again.
Australian women soccer players can go to Europe and play in professional leagues if they have the ability

So, hockey for number 1 sport then?

There are numerous team sports that Australia has played at a high level internationally for years, which haven't gone anywhere.

For the world cup to give a sustained boost in player numbers, something has to change. Like girls suddenly discovering the world cup, or soccer's position on the world stage etc.

But how many girls need to learn this, who might be into sport?

Simple reality, majority of girls will not watch, or care, they just aren't into sport.

Girls into sport that might take up soccer, are already aware.

Girls that would likely be impressed enough by the WC, to take up soccer, are already playing imop.

And those playing something else are playing something else despite knowing about the Matilda's, and the world cup already, why would they change?

On SM-X200 using BigFooty.com mobile app
I doubt women Hockey crowds draw the numbers for international comps that women's soccer crowds do, but you can always post a link to prove me wrong

Your fear of the round ball game is showing again.
Australian women soccer players can go to Europe and play in professional leagues if they have the ability

That might impact choices when someone hits 15 or 16 but at junior level it would have no impact at all as those leagues are invisible here. Most girls simply want to do what their friends are doing, and netball remains huge for that reason.
In saying that, i'm noticing a lot of the better athlete girls are going to other sports now.

It's been a long time....a very long time, since we saw any ratings in relation to the A-League.
Seen nothing for a couple of months.
Early in the piece the TV ratings guy might mention it on twitter, or someone would ask a question and he'd provide it, but no one has been looking for the number and no one has provided it in ages.
A fascinating nil-all draw last night would have had the eyebals glued to the TV.
Alas, A-League was incapable of breaking into the top 20, which bottomed out at a mere 62k.
Peppa Pig right up there in the ratings with 70k.
The Adventures of Paddington Bear came in 2nd with 103k. If the A-League got even half that, it would be cause for massive celebration amongst soccer fans, so dysmal their ratings normally are.
On Foxtel, the womens ODI is getting 67k, not counting Kayo.
Incredibly, the A-League (men or women) cannot even get within coo-ee of that number on FTA.

Will have to correct myself - The memory banks are not quite as good these days.
It was the Australian Womens Soccer Captain who said that the AFLW was formidable competition for players. Personally I think she may have been referring to the fact that AFLW players are edging to higher and higher full time payment over time.
I think its more that when a footy pathway wasnt available, girls from footy families, often played soccer. It wsnt their first choice, but it was available. Then, with girls playing soccer, other girls wanting to play with their friends, also played soccer.

Now, those girls play footy, and their friends whose families maybe arent into a footy code, also play.

This was actually one of the main arguments for a womens league and pathway.

Girl grows up in a footy family, but plays soccer, because she cannot play footy.

Settles down, has kids, takes those kids to play soccer, the sport she grew up playing, including her sons.
And now its a soccer family, not a footy family.

I doubt women Hockey crowds draw the numbers for international comps that women's soccer crowds do, but you can always post a link to prove me wrong
But its an elite international comp? International comps grow domestic leagues dont they?

If hockey isnt big, then the fact it has an elite international competition, should be the vehicle to make it big, both domestically in the countries that play it, and internationally.

Is that not the argument?

It's been a long time....a very long time, since we saw any ratings in relation to the A-League.
Seen nothing for a couple of months.
Early in the piece the TV ratings guy might mention it on twitter, or someone would ask a question and he'd provide it, but no one has been looking for the number and no one has provided it in ages.
A fascinating nil-all draw last night would have had the eyebals glued to the TV.
Alas, A-League was incapable of breaking into the top 20, which bottomed out at a mere 62k.
Peppa Pig right up there in the ratings with 70k.
The Adventures of Paddington Bear came in 2nd with 103k. If the A-League got even half that, it would be cause for massive celebration amongst soccer fans, so dysmal their ratings normally are.
On Foxtel, the womens ODI is getting 67k, not counting Kayo.
Incredibly, the A-League (men or women) cannot even get within coo-ee of that number on FTA.

The only thing i've seen is the twitter account (@aleagueratings) that sporadically posts numbers. Last update was a couple of weeks ago:

But yeah, those numbers - assuming they're accurate - is ridiculously low. A national FTA rating of 9k is test pattern territory.

Meaningless - it's cumulative figures not a single event.
It's like saying a national league is an event with a whole season to work out the winner.
And the ratings are down - so they are losing people who cannot commit to sitting in the comfort of their own home to watch.

Across Europe, it pulled as many as 11 million viewers on Eurosport and affiliated channels, including record figures for Spain, where it got as many as 1.3 million viewers. 800,000 watched in Britain, making it the second-most-watched Australian Open final in the country. The Spanish broadcast had as many as 1.3 million viewers, making it the second-most-watched Grand Slam final in the network’s history. National networks in Switzerland and France also had above a million on average for the five-set encounter.

China’s appreciation of the tournament court side is complimented by a strong television viewership on the mainland. Viewership in China saw more than 59 million people tune in to watch the Australian Open in 2017, an increase of 84% from 2016. With that, China overtook Japan to become the number one Asia-Pacific territory by hours viewed.
As the Australian Open celebrates a record attendance of 796,435 at Melbourne Park during the tournament, attention now turns towards the worldwide viewing audience, particularly in Japan where record numbers also followed Naomi Osaka’s journey to the women’s final.

Osaka’s historic win over Petra Kvitova attracted a TV audience of more than 20 million in Japan alone. Official ratings confirm the women’s final was the most-watched program in Japan during the Australian Open, and one of the most watched telecasts in recent times.

No other event gets as many eyeballs looking at Australia or draws the same amount of tourists as the Aus Open. For example, above.
As I said, I feel it is the biggest annual sporting event in Australia and it is not even close. (the F1 would be 2nd)

Don't worry, the AFL is still the biggest sport in Australia. No need to fret.

As for the ratings being down......most things are. And heck, the AFL grand final ratings were massively down. If I say that, you will tell me about the timeslot, the teams, lockdown. all true.

This year at the Aus open, there is no Barty, Fed, Serena, Nadal. all true.

The only thing i've seen is the twitter account (@aleagueratings) that sporadically posts numbers. Last update was a couple of weeks ago:

But yeah, those numbers - assuming they're accurate - is ridiculously low. A national FTA rating of 9k is test pattern territory.

Bloody hell, those numbers are frightening for the A League. I honestly feel like the pitch invasion stuffed them and the BBL have taken advantage.

International competition is the pinnacle of team sport, and will see a rise in the amount of women/girl soccer players.
Your right but it’s around 1% of High school kids go on to be professional athletes.
The fact is in Australia the pathway to afl/aflw is stronger and more supported than soccer.
By a long way.

In the aleague women. a squad needs to be Min 20-max 26.
That’s not even half the positions available in aflw for girls who want to be in an elite sporting program.
(The standard of play isn’t the point)

If a kid and the parents are choosing between aspirations of an Olympian, and afl\aflw player or elite soccer player…
Not many talented 13-15yr olds choose soccer.

Bloody hell, those numbers are frightening for the A League. I honestly feel like the pitch invasion stuffed them and the BBL have taken advantage.

To be fair, it was on that trajectory anyway. The paramount deal has utterly destroyed them, and made it virtually invisible to all but the most hardcore fans. Having a couple of games on a FTA channel that nobody watches isn't going to make up for that.

IMO it's made absolutely no difference to the BBL, or if it has it's negligible. CA were smart enough to avoid a similar TV deal though. Paramount would have killed the BBL as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

9,000 for a TV rating?? a national TV rating!!
looks like the sleeping giant is in for a long snooze!!

and 621 on 10 Play
I've sat in uni lectures with more people than that
extraordinary numbers

It's probably hard to imagine it could get much worse, but people on twitter were complaining (again) that they couldn't get a stream on Paramount of the Friday night game.
So no one watching it on FTA, and the handful of people who have subscribed to Paramount, can't get a stream.

9,000 for a TV rating?? a national TV rating!!
looks like the sleeping giant is in for a long snooze!!

and 621 on 10 Play
I've sat in uni lectures with more people than that
extraordinary numbers

It's probably hard to imagine it could get much worse, but people on twitter were complaining (again) that they couldn't get a stream on Paramount of the Friday night game.
So no one watching it on FTA, and the handful of people who have subscribed to Paramount, can't get a stream.
It must be embarrassing for the greatest game of all that the local A League version that has been played in Australia for well over 100 years is consistently beaten in crowd attendance numbers by the NBL!

It must be embarrassing for the greatest game of all that the local A League version that has been played in Australia for well over 100 years is consistently beaten in crowd attendance numbers by the NBL!

British Association Football and Rugby Football were options from the very beginning of the British colonies in New holland.

I don't think that the BBL has either contributed to or benefited from the A Leagues doldrums

There is no doubt the grand final decision has as has the Melbourne victory active supporters violence, but I highly doubt that there is some alternate universe where the A League is going gangbusters of the back of the world cup.

I had a read of that ABC article and it seems to cover all of the usual false hopes

• The large participation base (nowhere near as big as is heralded when you consider actual outdoor club players)
  • The most passionate fans of any code (yeah sure) will provide an atmosphere that will attract others in droves
  • The popularity of the world cup

As the poster above pointed out, the world cup is basically one sport of the Olympics carved out because of its global popularity (in terms of its capacity to draw in people who otherwise have limited interest in the sport). Even with the unexpected performance of the Socceroos it was never going to result in a massive increase in interest in the A-League.

That's why my hand involuntarily hit my face at the conclusion of that article that the women's world cup is another opportunity to plausibly increase the popularity of the domestic league.

Einstein's definition of insanity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back