Training 2022 Pre-season

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 12, 2003
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane
Would have liked to see them abolish "prior opportunity", but I think it's only a matter of time. Eventually that rule is going to become so complicated (as if it isn't already) they will simply have to remove it from the book. Which I think will make the game a much better spectacle anyway.

lionraven

All Australian
Feb 17, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I dislike the constant traditional and social media whinging that follows whenever a game is officiated to the letter of the law. So many retired players happy to give you their unwanted 2 cents about every decision and then afl hoise decides to shift interpretation halfway through the season. Things like manning the mark are so easy to officiate objectively, it shouldn't be up to interpretation. Yet no doubt we will get some nonsense articles published about how harsh a 50 is for a minor infraction. Then you get the pendulum swinging the other way and obvious infringements aren't punished resulting in some teams pushing the envelope. I dont care if the umpire blows their whistle 100 times a game, i just want consistent application of the rules without any midround shifts in focus. We should treat it like the NRL. If a player stuffs up something simple like a play the ball they dont get mad at the umpire for blowing the whistle. The player gets chastised for being a moron not able to execute a basic skill. We should have the same approach for players time-wasting or infringing on the mark.

I dislike the constant traditional and social media whinging that follows whenever a game is officiated to the letter of the law. So many retired players happy to give you their unwanted 2 cents about every decision and then afl hoise decides to shift interpretation halfway through the season. Things like manning the mark are so easy to officiate objectively, it shouldn't be up to interpretation. Yet no doubt we will get some nonsense articles published about how harsh a 50 is for a minor infraction. Then you get the pendulum swinging the other way and obvious infringements aren't punished resulting in some teams pushing the envelope. I dont care if the umpire blows their whistle 100 times a game, i just want consistent application of the rules without any midround shifts in focus.
Funny thing is that if watch footy from the 80s and early 90s, the amount of free kicks paid was much higher and you didn't have the players (for the most part) getting all pissy about it. Or the commentators for that matter most of whom weren't ex-players. Drives me mad too when you hear them criticise "tiggy-touchwood" (a phrase whose origins are a mystery to me) or to "let the game flow". I always say for the most part that smart footy players tend to go on to coach while the dim ones land in the media.

He wasn’t a bad player though, that bloke.

It's fun to s**t on him for many reasons but he was always a gun. Was strong, could outrun the best and knew where to run and his skills, particularly his kick, were sublime.
Still a joke he got that Norm from a vote held after the third quarter, wtf? Voss was immense and instrumental in the clinches.

Early days but the big positives are the guys that were last year absent or impeded: Neale, Berry, Rayner and Answerth are all flying and Hippy is ahead of schedule.
I have never seen Lachie Neale run the way he is so far this year.
Way ahead of where he was this time last year.

I have never seen Lachie Neale run the way he is so far this year.
Way ahead of where he was this time last year.

I've only got training vid vision to go by but seeing him collect against the group smoothly run and kick for goal got me very excited. Looks determined to make sure last year is a blurry memory and be a part of a flag.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Interesting interpretations for this season. I will be potentially melting less at the football if they cut down on the time wasting stuff.
Not sure you will be melting less
When the AFL change interpretations of rules we still end up scratching our heads
Be it with umpires, players coaches or screaming fans. We all adjust eventually i suppose
Because the AFL wants a fast game i am amazed it has taken them this long to bring in the so called new "delay the play" interpretation.
Below from the article
"umpires will be less lenient towards players who deliberately delay the play" through free kicks or 50m penalties.
Rule change in 1988
The length was increased to 50 metres in 1988 when it was determined that the fifteen meter penalty had become insufficient to deter time-wasting and scragging.[7]

The article itself is not that clear on what the interpretations are.
No video will go into the official "Laws Of Australian Football"
The video is a bit better help than the written wording in the article regarding prior opportunity, HTB & time wasting

Below another change from the article
The stricter holding the ball interpretation includes a focus on players ducking into tackles, with clubs warned that "a player who ducks their head prior to being legally tackled" will be penalised more stringently by umpires.

My interpretation is around the legally tackled part
The AFL want to protect the head so it is still going to be tough to penalize the duckers in the game
Will the "legally tackled part" start at the beginning of the tackle or continue till the end of the tackle
Another video on this may help

I've only got training vid vision to go by but seeing him collect against the group smoothly run and kick for goal got me very excited. Looks determined to make sure last year is a blurry memory and be a part of a flag.
He difinitely looks like a man in a mission.

He difinitely looks like a man in a mission.

jonah-hill-excited.gif

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Attended the training session today with intention to take some photos
Usually take wildlife photos mostly birds. I must have messed up settings as hardly any turned out acceptable. However will post a few tomorrow
I can't give a detailed post of training as i struggle to do two things at once in my old age
However some information on the forum is better than nothing
My take on the training session from 7.30am. They may have done some things prior to 7.30
Temperature: 7.30am 26.3 (apparent temperature 30.2), 8.30am 28.7 (32.3), 9.30am (33.8)

The guys i noticed doing laps: Hippy, CEY, Henry Smith, Wilmot, Lohmann
Tunstill started with the midfield group of Neale, Lyons & Mathieson but that's just a casual observation with the first drill
Zorko took it easy as he looked like he was just helping out the assistant coaches
Fagan observes everything while the assistants run the session
The usual warm up running drills but no laps. They may have done some laps before i arrived at 7.30
They broke up into 3 or 4 groups. Moving from one drill to another after a set time.
I only concentrated on the group in front of me doing drills over the training period
One drill: agility running between closely placed plastic colored poles then a handball receive. Repeated until called to next close position
Drill two: 4 players involved. A couple of quick handballs between 2 players with another defending then a handball receive and offload a handball to player number 4
Did not look like a stoppage drill more like a get out of trouble handball drill
Next up
I assume was more of a defensive drill as it was difficult for the offence players to kick their way through the closed up defense
Only using less than a 1/4 of the ground so possibly a boundary defense drill
Then just some basic kick and ball handling drills handball receives and offload to a leading player using 3/4 of the ground
Once again in different groups. Probably a covid training precaution
Had a few breaks during the session for discussions
The last main drill and by far the hardest on the players but one they probably enjoyed the most
Three groups: Lions jumpers, Green shirts & Orange shirts
Two groups were involved at all times. One offense one defense. The coach in control called out which group was defending next after a turnover
Once one group turned the ball over it started all over again no break
Drill started close to my position which was slightly defensive side of wing. Then once a turnover happened the ball came out of goal square
This is what i could gather from the assistant coach starting off the drill nearest my position
Find a loose player leading up with a short pass or two with the intention of looking for a switch player either in the middle or slightly in defense
Once that switch player has possession then break with some long kicks either to wing or half forward then goal or FF
Emphasis from the assistant coach was on backing up to get into a offensive position
Of course as soon as someone turned the ball over that offensive position player found he was defending
I left just before 10am when the session looked over but noticed some players were doing laps and other stuff as i was leaving
Maybe just a warm down run

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not sure you will be melting less
When the AFL change interpretations of rules we still end up scratching our heads
Be it with umpires, players coaches or screaming fans. We all adjust eventually i suppose
Because the AFL wants a fast game i am amazed it has taken them this long to bring in the so called new "delay the play" interpretation.
Below from the article
"umpires will be less lenient towards players who deliberately delay the play" through free kicks or 50m penalties.
Rule change in 1988
The length was increased to 50 metres in 1988 when it was determined that the fifteen meter penalty had become insufficient to deter time-wasting and scragging.[7]

The article itself is not that clear on what the interpretations are.
No video will go into the official "Laws Of Australian Football"
The video is a bit better help than the written wording in the article regarding prior opportunity, HTB & time wasting

Below another change from the article
The stricter holding the ball interpretation includes a focus on players ducking into tackles, with clubs warned that "a player who ducks their head prior to being legally tackled" will be penalised more stringently by umpires.

My interpretation is around the legally tackled part
The AFL want to protect the head so it is still going to be tough to penalize the duckers in the game
Will the "legally tackled part" start at the beginning of the tackle or continue till the end of the tackle
Another video on this may help
The holding the ball rule has always been one that is hotly debated from club to club depending on who's team gets the free kick. The thing I dislike about a rule change such as this one is the extreme the umpires are instructed to implement the new rule which takes away other parts of the game we have enjoyed for decades.
Question 1: If Lachie picks up the ball from a centre clearance & waits for the opposition player to lay the tackle before he disposes of the ball to a team mate, is that considered "holding the ball" now because he had prior opportunity? Even if he has hands free and is able to dispose of the ball legally while being tackled because he could have disposed of it before the opposition player attempts a tackle?
Question 2: If Adams has the ball in defence and has an opposition player coming at him who is well undersize compared to Marcus, is he no longer permitted take on the tackler knowing he can get past him easily and run the ball up into attack?

To me, by reading the rule change, is no longer allowed. Interested in others thoughts.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Attended the training session today with intention to take some photos
Usually take wildlife photos mostly birds. I must have messed up settings as hardly any turned out acceptable. However will post a few tomorrow
I can't give a detailed post of training as i struggle to do two things at once in my old age
However some information on the forum is better than nothing
My take on the training session from 7.30am. They may have done some things prior to 7.30
Temperature: 7.30am 26.3 (apparent temperature 30.2), 8.30am 28.7 (32.3), 9.30am (33.8)

The guys i noticed doing laps: Hippy, CEY, Henry Smith, Wilmot, Lohmann
Tunstill started with the midfield group of Neale, Lyons & Mathieson but that's just a casual observation with the first drill
Zorko took it easy as he looked like he was just helping out the assistant coaches
Fagan observes everything while the assistants run the session
The usual warm up running drills but no laps. They may have done some laps before i arrived at 7.30
They broke up into 3 or 4 groups. Moving from one drill to another after a set time.
I only concentrated on the group in front of me doing drills over the training period
One drill: agility running between closely placed plastic colored poles then a handball receive. Repeated until called to next close position
Drill two: 4 players involved. A couple of quick handballs between 2 players with another defending then a handball receive and offload a handball to player number 4
Did not look like a stoppage drill more like a get out of trouble handball drill
Next up
I assume was more of a defensive drill as it was difficult for the offence players to kick their way through the closed up defense
Only using less than a 1/4 of the ground so possibly a boundary defense drill
Then just some basic kick and ball handling drills handball receives and offload to a leading player using 3/4 of the ground
Once again in different groups. Probably a covid training precaution
Had a few breaks during the session for discussions
The last main drill and by far the hardest on the players but one they probably enjoyed the most
Three groups: Lions jumpers, Green shirts & Orange shirts
Two groups were involved at all times. One offense one defense. The coach in control called out which group was defending next after a turnover
Once one group turned the ball over it started all over again no break
Drill started close to my position which was slightly defensive side of wing. Then once a turnover happened the ball came out of goal square
This is what i could gather from the assistant coach starting off the drill nearest my position
Find a loose player leading up with a short pass or two with the intention of looking for a switch player either in the middle or slightly in defense
Once that switch player has possession then break with some long kicks either to wing or half forward then goal or FF
Emphasis from the assistant coach was on backing up to get into a offensive position
Of course as soon as someone turned the ball over that offensive position player found he was defending
I left just before 10am when the session looked over but noticed some players were doing laps and other stuff as i was leaving
Maybe just a warm down run
Thanks for the update.

What I’m most curious to know, are Ashcroft and Fletcher still training with the team? are there any other academy boys training as well?

The National Academy boys are now all training at various AFL clubs. It was mentioned on the draft board today, that the two best Vic mids are training with Collingwood.

Thanks for the update.

What I’m most curious to know, are Ashcroft and Fletcher still training with the team? are there any other academy boys training as well?

The National Academy boys are now all training at various AFL clubs. It was mentioned on the draft board today, that the two best Vic mids are training with Collingwood.
Pretty sure I saw a photo from Mondays training where I saw Jaspa. Didn’t see Ash though.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The holding the ball rule has always been one that is hotly debated from club to club depending on who's team gets the free kick. The thing I dislike about a rule change such as this one is the extreme the umpires are instructed to implement the new rule which takes away other parts of the game we have enjoyed for decades.
Question 1: If Lachie picks up the ball from a centre clearance & waits for the opposition player to lay the tackle before he disposes of the ball to a team mate, is that considered "holding the ball" now because he had prior opportunity? Even if he has hands free and is able to dispose of the ball legally while being tackled because he could have disposed of it before the opposition player attempts a tackle?
Question 2: If Adams has the ball in defence and has an opposition player coming at him who is well undersize compared to Marcus, is he no longer permitted take on the tackler knowing he can get past him easily and run the ball up into attack?

To me, by reading the rule change, is no longer allowed. Interested in others thoughts.
HTB is indeed hotly debated and a rule interpretation change will have umpires over ruling in the preseason and the opening 4 or so games
This happens all the time and not fair on players. I am not so concerned initially about the fans as their is always 50% against the free weather correct or not
The coaches and players will get AFL videos explaining the changes. Also umpires will attend each club to explain how they will apply the rule

Just going on Brad Scott interview and video

Question 1: No free kick if - Lachie once tackled immediately & legally disposes the ball.
The change will have quality players like Lachie who get out an effective handball under pressure have their disposal efficiency reduced i imagine, or risk a free kick
Question 2: This is Marcus decision he can certainly take on the incoming opposition player and probably should do so if he has close backup. But he runs the risk of incoming opposition player getting a hold of his jumper/body. If Marcus tries to push his way past risks a HTB free unless he immediately & legally disposes the ball whilst the jumper/body is being held
My interpretation is we should all look at HTB rule this way
The very first thing is "prior opportunity" no matter how little time is involved
Then the new part "disposal immediately & legally when tackled by jumper/body"

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Thanks for the update.

I have to go out now but will post a few photos later today of some of the younger & VFL players
Most of my photos failed but still have some that are reasonable

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Thanks for the update.

This is a group photo you may be able to pick out some players
Edit: Looks like all photos now appear if you click on the top photo

HwJyM0ThQo_am0_JjpXW0FWD-eXIRkOTw-kH_YEBesXdZgVV_E3qSS5r2kANXUI6HcCmRnoG5Nd5HxVWO1u1huVCAZGgb0oP3ije6fsbN7Jr6uA2ZYRtWbHB_u2H7WpZfksSOANt-kdSlOT8hMRTxqGyCdXtU2KFtGyAyBBW1-mOwpP9rR-4uaeMmRQ1Yb2g7LdOMpbtr7giT6aKkYbSQIEV3-1A83ABvOWeoCEuAZw13tIbrtrNVXwAG28cfMxFSF1ENp56uXvYFmQTYbTice0rdG0mdRcyyYyIWAOGN5XJ37pz3Lu6qumknh0Zo49vr0XO8gCGkeX8yqiHLCcHWN1-8WWVDbx5_CYU--e_8OjcLAWKJRtTNbiJadYFYetC8dVnQ_lMnzAOSzOQrTVTfs3MNxLl_TohX502_EJEDfXN3uT2pdkaLJAKld4iLOS9KuwpxOA2qN-PN4jphHkaJP6JQCpWYrPGRYpT8vYUFeZ8bDFYSWTjGyWlZIpg3v-TdM4O6Fy5Z_ar3Pfj8Z8jCvjHrsBqUIhV0xxgI1PkeqUQu0S0yjox3GEdi1m53Z3iT_oOtLKO5WVaRBkdt1QYeBnEt-4tkcSxsyIw3iDGb_JUEJri7yMiOSHsiMTKyPVPidxCfnRvErDM5WmtjUYNkfDzCcNRHMv4UWLCVsyT9FL-gc7RiYS024VJGEA-SsARNyqOQF3ae2iWNd99R22-EBH2tg=w1611-h623-no

H9CksmKxCs8d7bm4rf9gfiEDD9OVUbGCM3btGpMKbZ4TL50UxMj6oV-UjYw_jqRl-kGIR4Jkc3zBxNvYRNWhBDyceULF-ti72LUy9oGhc6MpH-XtLZTEgPdVRzvKTSb6oNNyrRkwYhtm-WQXHBUPBF-vpYoAMeMBQPLOWWbKnQweaX6qQG9Fk6_pWu4cH8cdcr07OD9OL7m9O8hi4VkHw3SPD2LTUbg3-_xMaTuGetfQR926-QAZUQSJCZ7SXZKEWvtoLizShv51dt-5sPb2FOnYJBSXwFtGhYinwlCk4cq0dbSJjA8i0rS7OLo54HQYjr8qZhYKShJTiZvP1nYBKicwTjejpNZheEKAusBvPdS3si2A9tfI8StYaI6TIeseeMwhNyiSo2bO4wLc_S9d9tjcwGN_hpxvrvXqm1kORLOB8Cvmq6dcv170iQeQK2kTTn9CVGggrKoyuzDXn5YEZ0xDB3ydGpPRvvjvWGiZvuue8lvS26_iRQmpvlyd-4BHu3_YfIjUhCVM5ONofEu60jcd8frmtGFlocjVAyh683Mb0bxkK4rTYJkQostcDmMp8Jcduu29NKBGZNgBnWn2I9-gjpjuGFlmpck4CqEZOHFehCDl28UDhGpcUFR35ZgMFTehUI6jIA0AfdeUC4hmavPLjt-n_zH09FnwhHL4G-B1bIEEcq_4sM44xg0YB9vtblp7mJVGuUUdxqRMYAKxkL-Mmw=w1611-h797-no

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Thanks for the update.

A few other photos taken
Edit: looks like all photos will show if you click on the first one

Attachments

• DSC_0020.JPG
    DSC_0020.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 164
  • DSC_0032.JPG
    DSC_0032.JPG
    547.6 KB · Views: 174
  • DSC_0070.JPG
    DSC_0070.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 164
  • DSC_0074.JPG
    DSC_0074.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 165
  • DSC_0080_01.JPG
    DSC_0080_01.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Some other photos from the day
EDIT: Looks like if you click on the first photo you will get all of the others i posted above
New guys Wilmot (44) & Lohmann (1) check those legs out. Tunstill (29) back shot only. Fort (32) white cap behind Lester

Attachments

• DSC_0004.JPG
    DSC_0004.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 149
  • DSC_0005.JPG
    DSC_0005.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 149
  • DSC_0009.JPG
    DSC_0009.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 143
  • DSC_0016.JPG
    DSC_0016.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 144
  • DSC_0019.JPG
    DSC_0019.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 147
  • DSC_0024.JPG
    DSC_0024.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 145
  • DSC_0029.JPG
    DSC_0029.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 146
  • DSC_0059.JPG
    DSC_0059.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 144
  • DSC_0049.JPG
    DSC_0049.JPG
    801 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC_0092.JPG
    DSC_0092.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 155

Mr Ripper

Pink-cheeked and robust
Dec 21, 1999
Far North Fitzroy
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy FC
Staggers me how many people involved in the sport (players, coaches, media, fans) are ignorant of the laws of the sport, particularly one as prominent as 'holding the ball'. Inconsistencies in interpretation don't help, I guess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back