Preview 2022 Rd 7 Carlton vs North Melbourne Sat 30th April 7.25PM @ Marvel Stadium - Team Update Post #956

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 2, 2009
Penguin
AFL Club
Carlton

Carlton-vs-North-Melbourne.png

So we both have come off pretty bad results, Carlton may be looking at a lot of changes due to form and injury. History of the two sides has North slightly ahead 32-31. So this could be an instance where we level the ledger. We have only won 1 of the last five. In Round 8 2020 where we led at every change, However, it nearly didn’t happen with Murphy being outmarked late in the 3rd and was pushed after the mark was paid (falling quite easily mind you) and the reversal gave us the lead at the siren. Heavy rain in the last quarter and some wonderful big moments. Aaron hall kicked a goal with 3 minutes to go got it to 7 points. Plowman was excellent in the last quarter in the wet playing on Zurhaar. Will he get the reprieve to play again this time. 1:40 to go the long maligned SPS got a wonderful free kick for HTB and did his customary dinky kick to keep possession. Carlton the week previous lost to a goal after the siren thanks to Robbie Gray. Carlton held on.

In the most recent game carlton lost by 39 points to a very accurate north. Carton stayed with them up to half time and even took the lead a few minutes in the second quarter. North kicked the next 7 goals to take the result. Our third quarter that day was reminiscent of our current approach in 2022. North had the four highest disposal getters on the ground that day which will unlikely repeat with our usage in 2022. They were Simpkin (who is not as dominant as last year where he won his first Syd Barker BnF award), LDU (is also having a below average year), Cunnington (Sadly is out) and Dumont (no longer on the North list). Our best that day was Sam Walsh which isn’t surprising.

Change since last game:

Carlton - out: Jones, Newnes, Williamson, Ed, Betts, SPS, Dow
In: Durdin, Owies, Cerra, young, McKay, Hewett, Docherty

North - out: Dumont, atley, hall, Cunnington, Phillips
In: Corr, young, Perez, JHF, greenwood

Looking at round 6 potential lineups

K.Turner B.Mckay A.Corr
Owies Mckay Durdin

Young Walker Scott
Martin Curnow Silvagni

McDonald LDU Perez
Obrien Cripps Cottrell

Ziebell Larkey JHF
Docherty Young Saad

Curtis Zurhaar Xerri
Williams Weitering Stocker

Goldstein Simpkin Thomas
TDK Walsh Cerra

Bosenavulagi Taylor Stephenson Greenwood
Hewett Newman Plowman Kennedy

Key Matchups:

The McDonald Defensive wing. Whoever we put on this side need to be accountable. I’ve elected for Obrien at this stage which will really test him in the air but if he can get some support from Martin and Docherty/Williams he might get a chance to use his weapons going inside 50. Mcdonald is arguably Norths best player currently and if he could be stopped it makes them even worse than what they are currently. Which is saying something. He drives them inside 50 and uses the ball so well. Maybe a Jack Silvagni or Plowman matchup.

Who goes to Mckay and Curnow. They’ve got Walker and a McKay of their own. We might truly get to see if they truly are twins. There is a scientific term called a Chimera. Where an individual fuses with their genetic twin embryonically and become two individuals in one. Can you imagine how good Harry or Ben may have been if they combined their left and right foots (being genetic opposites). An attacking and defensive weapon. Lets hope we get the chance to see both playing on each other if Harry gets over whatever ‘Gribble’ he has going. What the hell is a gribble? Just reading the match report form the North v Geelong game and it looks like Ben has hurt his leg in the last quarter so maybe we might be missing them both. Surely having them both with opposite leg strapping would add to the effect of them both being genetic opposites. Did you know they bye two pairs of boots differing slightly in size and they swap one shoe each as they have a foot a little larger than the other BUT obviously on their opposite foots.

Weitering on Larkey. Hopefully Weits gets to repay the favour from last season when he kicked 7. Most likely costing him the All Australian defensive post. At the moment I have Young on him but these two position are interchangeable. The 7 goals was not weiterings fault but our effort late in the season (in fact all season) up the ground. You could say that the game against fremantle was an improvement with countless tackle stops in the middle when they tried to go fast. Can we value add to this against north allowing Weitering more time to spoil. If he kicks another bag I’ll be pissed. as it will be an indicator of carlton losing once again to the bottom of the ladder and a sign that our early form in 2022 was a fluke.

Form:

As I’m writing this were coming off a pretty poor performance against Fremantle in perth and after losing significant pieces to our structure and game plan. Lets hope Mckay and Pittonets’ injuries aren’t too serious. I have planned for McKay to play as he played out the game. Carlton were +23 in disposals but allowed freo to go at 80% disposal efficiency which is atrocious manning up. Freo have adopted the Collingwood game plan of kick to kick. Despite losing hitouts by -32 (WOW) carlton had +3 in clearances (we were also 9 worse off for turnovers).

North has just finished being belted by geelong in Tasmania (which usually a bit of a fortress for them and they play much better there than Melbourne). 16 scoring shots to 36 is a bit of a flogging. They lost all the key statistics but surprisingly were +11 in clearances and +8 in inside 50 tackles). The most damaging players once again for North were McDonald and Simpkin.

Carlton W W L W L

North W L L L L

Carlton by 47 points

Last edited:
OUT: Fisher, Newman, Newnes, Pittonet (inj), Cottrell, Parks, Boyd
IN: Carroll, Stocker, Dow/Kennedy/Kemp, JSOS, O'Brien, Williamson

Carroll can do Fisher's role, seemed to be practicing it in the VFL.

Stocker is an easy swap for Newman, Williamson gives us more options coming out of defence while doing enough defensively 1v1.

Walsh can do what Newnes does and then some, giving room for another inside mid in Dow or Kennedy, JSOS can step in there if not and we can bring Kemp into the forward mix.

O'Brien can do enough of what Cottrell does while hitting enough passes into 50, though I accept he will lose more aerial contests.

Heard it all before about the people I'm making into whipping boys, etc, but we need a better athletic profile. No point playing with one arm behind your back when there are close or better options just sitting there.

In: Stocker, Kemp, Silvagni, Kennedy, Williamson, Carroll
Out: Pittonet (inj), Setterfield, Newnes, Durdin, Parks, Cottrell, Boyd (Med Sub)

Stocker Weitering Williams
Saad Young Docherty
Walsh Kennedy Cerra
Silvagni Curnow Martin
Fisher McKay Owies
De Koning Cripps Hewett

Kemp Newman Carroll Williamson

Sub: Cottrell

Last edited:
I’m sure the MC won’t make as many changes as I think should occur.

Setterfield and Fish, for example, will get a chance to “redeem” themselves.

Anyway, JSOS will come in. Likely Kennedy as well. Pitto (Boyd) will come out. I would also drop Newnes and Cotts. I’d like to see Carroll and Stock get a run.

But really I have no idea.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Havent had a post yet about selection as I've thought our teams been performing well. But tonight just reaffirmed that our transition footy just isnt up to par.

Out - Fisher, Newnes, Parks, Owies, Pitto (Inj)
In - Motlop, Carroll, Stocker, Kennedy, JSOS

We need to cycle in Carroll and Motlop. They are pure class and if they can develop enough over the next year or two will help dramatically improve our ball movement issues.

In: Stocker, Kemp, Silvagni, Kennedy, Motlop, Carroll
Out: Pittonet (inj), Setterfield, Newnes, Durdin, Parks, Cottrell, Boyd (Med Sub)

Saad Young Docherty
Walsh Kennedy Cerra
Silvagni Curnow Martin
Fisher McKay Owies
De Koning Cripps Hewett

Agree 100% with these changes

We won't get to the pointy end with Newnes, Cotterell, Fisher for starters. Could easily throw in setters, and the three invisible smalls in owies durdin and Martin...can't drop that many so start with the first three lol
Agree, but Jack Martin in recent weeks has definitely improved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IN - Carroll (debut), Silvagni, Kennedy, Kemp

OUT - Pittonet, Setterfield, Owies, Boyd

Newnes and Parks lucky not to be dropped. Not going as crazy as some, and to be quite frank I don't think Vossy will be doing so either. I want to see Stocker in this side too but don't know where to fit him into our back 7. Motlop, Dow, Philp and Willo need string up some more consistency in the reserves first before coming in first.

Newnes, ta ta. A bad trigger of a contract that one for list management.

Would have said the same for Parks but if he was on Fredericks he completely blanketed him.

In: Plowman (remains close to AFL standard, at least), Stocker, Silvagni, Carroll, Motlop.

Out: Parks (not AFL standard), Boyd (good attitude but clumsy and unrefined for now), Pittonet (cant get a good run ffs), Newnes (has athletically fallen off a cliff, never seen him look so slow), Durdin (badly out of form).

Probably enough points in the bank based on comments from coach earlier in week: Setterfield.

If Williamson somehow finds some form, might find himself in some trouble to retain a spot: Newman.

Needs to actually get involved rather than run around aimlessly or will bounce out of the squad reasonably quickly for LOB: Cottrell.

Is quite lucky that the other small forwards have been in horrific form: Fisher.

Would be nice if he could stay involved for longer, but is trying his best as an athletically limited footballer that will be phased out when Honey is healthy: Owies.

In: Stocker, Kemp, Silvagni, Kennedy, Motlop, Carroll

Saad Young Docherty
Walsh Kennedy Cerra
Silvagni Curnow Martin
Fisher McKay Owies
De Koning Cripps Hewett

OUT: Fisher, Newman, Newnes, Pittonet (inj), Cottrell, Parks, Boyd
IN: Carroll, Stocker, Dow/Kennedy/Kemp, JSOS, O'Brien, Williamson

Carroll can do Fisher's role, seemed to be practicing it in the VFL.

Stocker is an easy swap for Newman, Williamson gives us more options coming out of defence while doing enough defensively 1v1.

Walsh can do what Newnes does and then some, giving room for another inside mid in Dow or Kennedy, JSOS can step in there if not and we can bring Kemp into the forward mix.

O'Brien can do enough of what Cottrell does while hitting enough passes into 50, though I accept he will lose more aerial contests.

Heard it all before about the people I'm making into whipping boys, etc, but we need a better athletic profile. No point playing with one arm behind your back when there are close or better options just sitting there.
Like it but don't think jsos is back next week.

Voss in his press conference pretty much said the only ones likely to return from injury are JSOS and Kennedy. Pitt they are hoping is a corky and McKay will get checked for a knee issue.

This is the game I look forward to least each year but changes are pretty easy imo:

INS: Kennedy (if available), JSOS (if available), O'Brien, Plowman, Stocker & Carroll
OUTS: Pittonet (if injured), McKay (if injured), Newnes, Cottrell, Parks, Boyd & Setterfield

Reasoning: Kennedy and JSOS are obvious INS (if available). I do not care if LOB can be error prone or if he does not tackle. He is a winger - he is an elite ball user inside 50 and runs all day - has way more run and offensive ability then Cottrell (something we are clearly lacking). Newnes is just not AFL standard so he comes out for Carroll. Couple of good games in the VFL - want to see him on a wing. Boyd's effort is there but really gives us nothing defensively or offensively at this point - Stocker has had a great patch in the VFL and we miss his toughness. Parks has had two poor games in a row - fumbles too much and just isn't AFL standard - give me Plowman any day of the week who I think can shut down the smalls that seem to have done a number on us the last couple of games (Gray, Walters, Shultz, Switowski). Setterfield is the last to come out of the 22. He is just not a winger - gives us no run and is not a great kick. Happy for him to be the SUB.

Setterfield: Has there been a more underwhelming 50 games by not just a Carlton player but any player in recent history?

Small defenders who play 1 on 1 not kick chase up the ground and leave us exposed out the back.

We dish this up again next Saturday night we get rolled.

Waits for injury report Tues / Weds saying H will miss games after some knock somewhere.

Jesus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back