Autopsy 2022 Round 5 Heart attack Blues hold on again

Who played well for the Blues in Round 5 vs Port Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Their entire score in the 3rd quarter came from turnover.

So to Mediumsizered's point perhaps it is a combo of fatigue/loss of concentration/complacency given we were approx 40 poiints up with 7 to go in the third.

Analysing the turnovers in terms of who and where on the ground might provide some useful info.

Players will fatigue at different times, slowing the game down is an obvious one but a mute point if you turn it over. I wonder if there's any scope to look at something like rotations like who is getting the breaks and when and for how long.

Okay :p

CC/SC = TC (Us first)

Q1. 6-2/2-6 = 8-8
Q2. 5-4/8-3 = 13-7
Q3. 4-3/6-6 = 10-9
Q4. 3-2/4-7 = 7-9

Based on that, don't think the stoppages had much to do with them chipping away at our lead
It wasnt stoppages....they rebounded from our attacks ..and had a fair bit of luck when kicking for goal. Thats football.
If we kicked 3 more in the third from all those entries it was all over.

It wasnt stoppages....they rebounded from our attacks ..and had a fair bit of luck when kicking for goal. Thats football.
If we kicked 3 more in the third from all those entries it was all over.

I guess I am more interested in our setups, when the opposition changes tact

The manner of our press, how squeezed / narrowed it is, using a cone structure to funnel them in a certain direction ( reducing the number of switches), tighter press on shorter options, guarding more space for longer / less likely options

Then how we move the ball once we regain possession, switching to shift their press to open up gaps, shorter kicks to retain possession which also allows us to get set if / when we do turn it over, etc

Last edited:
Okay :p

CC/SC = TC (Us first)

Q1. 6-2/2-6 = 8-8
Q2. 5-4/8-3 = 13-7
Q3. 4-3/6-6 = 10-9
Q4. 3-2/4-7 = 7-9

Based on that, don't think the stoppages had much to do with them chipping away at our lead

Which wasn't why I looked at our centre bounce setups anyway. I wanted to see how Kennedy was being used specifically.

Just some centre clearance stats from this game as far as who attended and in what combination.

I re-watched each centre bounce to affirm this.

1st Qtr

1. Pittonet, Walsh, Hewett, Cerra - Clearance won
2. Pittonet, Walsh, Hewett, Cerra - Clearance won
3. Pittonet, Walsh, Hewett, Kennedy - Clearance won
4. Pittonet, Walsh, Hewett, Kennedy - Clearance won
5. Pittonet, Walsh, Hewett, Kennedy - Clearance lost
6. Pittonet, Walsh, Kennedy, Cerra - Clearance won
7. Silvagni, Kennedy, Cerra, Hewett - Clearance lost
8. Pittonet, Walsh, Hewett, Cerra - Clearance won

6-2

2nd Qtr

1. Pittonet, Hewett, Kennedy, Cerra - Clearance won
2. Pittonet, Hewett, Kennedy, Cerra - Clearance won
3. Pittonet, Walsh, Kennedy, Cerra - Clearance lost
4. Pittonet, Walsh, Kennedy, Cerra - Clearance won
5. Silvagni, Walsh, Hewett, Cerra - Clearance lost
6. Silvagni, Walsh, Hewett, Cerra - Clearance won
7. Pittonet, Walsh, Kennedy, Fisher - Clearance lost
8. Pittonet, Hewett, Cerra, Fisher - Clearance lost
9. Pittonet, Hewett, Kennedy, Cerra - Clearance won

5-4

3rd Qtr

1. Pittonet, Walsh, Hewett, Cerra - Clearance lost
2. Pittonet, Walsh, Hewett, Cerra - Clearance lost
3. Pittonet, Walsh, Kennedy, Cerra - Clearance won
4. Pittonet, Walsh, Kennedy, Cerra - Clearance won
5. Pittonet, Walsh, Hewett, Cerra - Clearance won
6. Pittonet, Walsh, Hewett, Cerra - Clearance won
7. Pittonet, Walsh, Kennedy, Cerra - Clearance lost
8. Pittonet, Walsh, Kennedy, Cerra - Clearance drawn

4-3-1

4th Qtr

1. Pittonet, Walsh, Kennedy, Cerra - Clearance lost
2. Pittonet, Walsh, Hewett, Kennedy - Clearance won
3. Silvagni, Walsh, Hewett, Cerra - Clearance won
4. Pittonet, Walsh, Cerra, Fisher - Clearance won
5. Pittonet, Walsh, Hewett, Cerra - Clearance lost

3-2

18-11-1

Hewett 13-7
Walsh 15-9-1
Cerra 15-9-1
Kennedy 10-6-1
Fisher 1-2
Silvagni 2-2
Pittonet 16-9-1

I feel like we won a lot more clearances than usual from a defensive position at the back of the square or having to use a rebounding half back flanker.

Walsh and Cerra are clearly taking centre square time from Kennedy.

Kennedy was playing a defensive role holding Gray off the ball.

Again I say, if you wanted anybody kicking inside 50, it is Kennedy.

I believe his game is suffering so the big names Walsh and Cerra, the smaller bodies of the Fab 5, can touch the ball as much as possible.

I prefer Walsh with more time to run and carry outside the traffic a little more. He'd be far better playing part time on a wing with Cerra, than us having to play Cottrell, Setterfield, LOB or Newnes as 2 permanent wingers. 1 yes, 2 will cause you issues in tight games sooner or later.

Thanks TODN :thumbsupv1:, that would have taken a fair while...

I remember at the start of the game both teams had loose sweepers at centre bounce
and we were getting easy clearance out the back...

Then I remember in the last quarter they went man on man...
From watching the clearances again, did you notice if this happen after half time?

Would partly explain why we didn't dominate the second half...

Thanks TODN :thumbsupv1:, that would have taken a fair while...

I remember at the start of the game both teams had loose sweepers at centre bounce
and we were getting easy clearance out the back...

Then I remember in the last quarter they went man on man...
From watching the clearances again, did you notice if this happen after half time?

Would partly explain why we didn't dominate the second half...

I didn't really concentrate on the positioning of others. I did notice that we ran ourselves into trouble out the back of the stoppage and the receivers fumbled more than the first half.

The implied pressure became an issue. I remember calling for someone to show some poise.

I think a lot of the problem is that we start doubting the things that got us to a big lead, if the opposition get a small run on because of turnovers or whatever. That happens in games, it is almost inevitable. There is no need for us to doubt our system but we do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see Weiters has suggested he & the other leaders need to get around the team when their output starts dropping off (or words to that effect). I seem to remember mentioning this earlier in the week.

You can bet back in the '90s the likes of Kernahan, Williams, Silvagni etc would have been getting in the ear of their teammates if their output dropped off.

Back