List Mgmt. 2022 Senior List - The Final TWO Spots

Remove this Banner Ad

What if its a finger injury?

I don't know, but if Cottrell hurt his finger karate chopping an opponent and then showed dissent...

...It would be a whinging infringing fringe ginger ninja's injured finger...

Looks like it will be 1 or 2 of the following players who have undergone a medical

MID-SEASON DRAFT MEDICALS LIST

Connor Ballenden (KPP)
Jacob Bauer (Tall Forward)
Josh Carmichael
Lachlan Carrigan
Jai Culley
Kallan Dawson (Tall Back)
Massimo D'Ambrossio
Wade Derksen (KPF)
Mutaz El Nour (KPP)
Oskar Faulkhead
Ethan Grace
Hugo Hall-Kahan
Max Ramsden (Ruck)
Brynn Teakle (Ruck)

Last edited:
Hypothetical. If Jonesy decided to get jabbed…

He would be - easily - the best available key defender.

But would he fit into the Voss game plan? Does Voss prefer a stay at home key defender to a free-wheeling come off his man type like Liam?

Hypothetical. If Jonesy decided to get jabbed…

He would be - easily - the best available key defender.

But would he fit into the Voss game plan? Does Voss prefer a stay at home key defender to a free-wheeling come off his man type like Liam?
1. He's not qualified for the MSD - don't know if the AFL would allow him to un-retire somehow, given he wasn't de-listed, but apart from that he won't be able to play this year. He certainly won't be available for any other side.

2. If he decided to get his first jab today, his second jab wouldn't come till August-ish - would be potentially available for finals. Doubt we'd consider that to be worth it.

As for keeping him on the list for next year... Dunno. But I'd think the club has probably moved on.

I don't know, but if Cottrell hurt his finger karate chopping an opponent and then showed dissent...

...It would be a whinging infringing fringe ginger ninja's injured finger...

Oh No Reaction GIF

No, they don't.

Akuei being cat b rookie isn't taking anyones place. It's literally a rookie spot designed for people like him. Non traditional pathways into the AFL and long term development.

Mirkov similarly is a project rookie. Hardly hindering anything at all and is a long term project - which every team in the AFL has 1 or 2 of.
So by taking Cat B rookies you essentially are adding extra players to your list? That's ok then. I thought it was a part of your general rookie list.

This is showing a fair degree of ignorance with regards to Akuei.

He's a Cat B rookie meaning he's come from a non-traditional background. Almost by definition every single player picked via that avenue is a project player, and investing in him has not come at the expense of anyone else.

Take him out of the equation and your gripe is with Mirkov, ie. one project player on our list. One out of 40+. You really think we're the only contending club to have someone like him on the books?

I think you're trying to make a mountain out of a molehill here. It's nowhere near as big an issue as you're trying to argue.
You have completely ignored my reasoning why we should not take on project players. However as I have been informed above, they don't contribute to our total list and are essentially outside the list in a sense.

Obviously if they were taking up spots that we could have used on more ready to go players then yes, this would be a terrible move by us considering we are in our premiership window and incoming project players are unlikely to be involved in much of that. Combine this with the loss of Jones a few long term injuries and a very long list of high injury risk players already on our list, we can't afford to bring in more players who can not contribute to the AFL side in some way but as I am informed they do not contribute to our main or rookie list being Cat B which makes these recruitments ok.

Last edited:
Looks like it will be 1 or 2 of the following players who have undergone a medical

MID-SEASON DRAFT MEDICALS LIST

Connor Ballenden (Woodville West Torrens)
Jacob Bauer (North Adelaide)
Josh Carmichael (West Adelaide)
Lachlan Carrigan (Richmond VFL)
Jai Culley (Dandenong Stingrays)
Kallan Dawson (Williamstown)
Massimo D'Ambrossio (Western Jets)
Wade Derksen (Peel Thunder)
Mutaz El Nour (Northern Bullants)
Oskar Faulkhead (Bendigo Pioneers)
Ethan Grace (GWS Academy)
Hugo Hall-Kahan (Sandringham Dragons)
Max Ramsden (Sandringham Dragons)
Brynn Teakle (East Fremantle)
OK Just reckon the big man coveters will be happy. Brynn Teakle from Northampton WA. Cripps country, just up the road from Jack Martin and Jack Carroll. Let’s keep the “family” together.

One game clearly played more forward than ruck

So by taking Cat B rookies you essentially are adding extra players to your list? That's ok then. I thought it was a part of your general rookie list.
Senior list 36-38
Rookie list 0-6
Total - max 42 (Senior + Rookie)
Then up to 2 cat-B rookies, for full list maximum 44 (we're currently 43, because of Jones departure)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a good comparison. CA don't have a salary cap or squad limits. They can afford to give players years to come good from injury with little to no consequence.

AFL teams can't do the same given salary caps and limited squads.
Injury wise it is. History shows over and over again that this type of injury can take a number of years to get right but it's not a reason to end a career on.

We may go out there and find McDonald very hard to replace, IMO we hang on to him, we get him right he becomes extremely valuable. He takes a lot of pressure off our list in regards to structure and depth over a range of roles and positions.

Plenty of AFL clubs have obtained players for two or more years to get their bodies right and get them back into the system, I don't see why we wouldn't here unless we thought there was no chance of getting things right with McDonald.

No doubt the injury prone players on our list are an issue but it's not as easy to say just get rid of them if we haven't got anyone to replace them or who comes in isn't all that good.

I'd like to think we can work some trades and come up with a young key forward and a young key defender who can player a few games here and there and eventually develop into quality AFL players but it's easier said than done. At this stage, you delist McDonald it just makes our KPP and ruck backup depth worse. Unless we can find these replacements he's more likely staying.

Takes a bit of luck to win a flag. You don't just need a good team and coach you need a good run with injuries, at least at the right time of year.

No, it's an additional spot separate to the normal rookie list :thumbsu:

I'm excited about the kid, even though we'll have to patient. Damn waiting!

You have completely ignored my reasoning why we should not take on project players. However as I have been informed above, they don't contribute to our total list and are essentially outside the list in a sense.

Obviously if they were taking up spots that we could have used on more ready to go players then yes, this would be a terrible move by us considering we are in our premiership window and incoming project players are unlikely to be involved in much of that. Combine this with the loss of Jones a few long term injuries and a very long list of high injury risk players already on our list, we can't afford to bring in more players who can not contribute to the AFL side in some way but as I am informed they do not contribute to our main or rookie list being Cat B which makes these recruitments ok.

Mirkov isn't outside the list. He's a Category A rookie as are Parks, Boyd, Cottrell, McDonald and O'Brien.

Akuei is Category B with Owies. They both sit outside the list.

As for ignoring things, did you respond to the query as to whether or not you think Melbourne would regret taking on the project players they have over the past few years?

Mirkov isn't outside the list. He's a Category A rookie as are Parks, Boyd, Cottrell, McDonald and O'Brien.

Akuei is Category B with Owies. They both sit outside the list.

As for ignoring things, did you respond to the query as to whether or not you think Melbourne would regret taking on the project players they have over the past few years?
Who have Melbourne had on their list last year and this year that are long term project players who are as far away from being AFL ready as Akuei and Mirkov?

I would also argue that they have less long term injuries and less high injury risk players on their list as we do, as I clearly stated, these are the reasons why it would be bad to bring guys on to our list who are not ready to play AFL and will be a long way off from playing AFL.

We are well aware of the injury history of McGovern, Marchbank, McDonald and Curnow. We knew Jones was gone. We knew Marchbank, Honey and Cuningham had long term injuries eating deep into the season. Is it smart to add more players to the list who are not AFL ready? I'm glad to hear the Cat B rookie does not rob from the rookie list or main list. I'm ok with that, why not fill that spot if we can. But we need more players on our list who are ready and able to play AFL now, we are in our premiership window now and probably for the next 5 seasons.

You could afford one or two if your depth, list health and player risk was as good as theirs. Ours isn't.

The thing with our list is that we need to be able to tap into our depth players because we have a lot of best 22 or near to it players who are high injury risk. We are winning games, we are getting away with it at the moment but we are a few more injuries away going from a top of the table side to a mid table side because we can't keep our structures up.

Who have Melbourne had on their list last year and this year that are long term project players who are as far away from being AFL ready as Akuei and Mirkov?

I would also argue that they have less long term injuries and less high injury risk players on their list as we do, as I clearly stated, these are the reasons why it would be bad to bring guys on to our list who are not ready to play AFL and will be a long way off from playing AFL.

We are well aware of the injury history of McGovern, Marchbank, McDonald and Curnow. We knew Jones was gone. We knew Marchbank, Honey and Cuningham had long term injuries eating deep into the season. Is it smart to add more players to the list who are not AFL ready? I'm glad to hear the Cat B rookie does not rob from the rookie list or main list. I'm ok with that, why not fill that spot if we can. But we need more players on our list who are ready and able to play AFL now, we are in our premiership window now and probably for the next 5 seasons.

You could afford one or two if your depth, list health and player risk was as good as theirs. Ours isn't.

The thing with our list is that we need to be able to tap into our depth players because we have a lot of best 22 or near to it players who are high injury risk. We are winning games, we are getting away with it at the moment but we are a few more injuries away going from a top of the table side to a mid table side because we can't keep our structures up.
Reality check Gman. We are sitting third and being spoken about by many pundits as the greatest threat to the Demons.
It is time a still expansive list of supporters exorcised their own demons. The dark years are gone. They are not coming back.

Our team was the SECOND YOUNGEST to take the field during the last round. Our list dynamic is unique, it is both young and mature in the right areas. We are set for top line key forwards, with good back up from TDK and JSOS. We we’re set for KPD as well until the Jones fiasco. We had even brought in Young to develop as generation next. With third talls Marchbank, McGovern, Kemp, Plowman, Parks and cat B Akuei, we were covered.

Ruck wise we had/have Pittonet, gazetted rising star TDK and left field, but highly promising Mirkov. A little thin you say, what about Young who was chosen and played as first ruck during the Bulldog’s finals campaign until being overlooked for the “granny” when Martin returned. If Jones was still on the books it would have been perfectly adequate.

I have always been a naysayer on McGovern, his contract was the worst thing SOS did, but I am guessing he was pressured as we hadn’t been able to attract a gun trade or free agent. There was considerable board and supporter pressure to get a big fish. Marchbank is unique and a very unique talent. His issues have been many. Contractually he was fine before the ACL, and is fine now. We get half a season to assess his soundness or otherwise. He is top end and would be immediately snapped up by another club prepared to take the risk if we were to quit him. The McDonald scenario is less clear and will be “covered” at least partially at the upcoming mid season draft.

Negativity be gone!

Reality check Gman. We are sitting third and being spoken about by many pundits as the greatest threat to the Demons.
It is time a still expansive list of supporters exorcised their own demons. The dark years are gone. They are not coming back.

Our team was the SECOND YOUNGEST to take the field during the last round. Our list dynamic is unique, it is both young and mature in the right areas. We are set for top line key forwards, with good back up from TDK and JSOS. We we’re set for KPD as well until the Jones fiasco. We had even brought in Young to develop as generation next. With third talls Marchbank, McGovern, Kemp, Plowman, Parks and cat B Akuei, we were covered.

Ruck wise we had/have Pittonet, gazetted rising star TDK and left field, but highly promising Mirkov. A little thin you say, what about Young who was chosen and played as first ruck during the Bulldog’s finals campaign until being overlooked for the “granny” when Martin returned. If Jones was still on the books it would have been perfectly adequate.

I have always been a naysayer on McGovern, his contract was the worst thing SOS did, but I am guessing he was pressured as we hadn’t been able to attract a gun trade or free agent. There was considerable board and supporter pressure to get a big fish. Marchbank is unique and a very unique talent. His issues have been many. Contractually he was fine before the ACL, and is fine now. We get half a season to assess his soundness or otherwise. He is top end and would be immediately snapped up by another club prepared to take the risk if we were to quit him. The McDonald scenario is less clear and will be “covered” at least partially at the upcoming mid season draft.

Negativity be gone!
McGovern's contract cost us no one, we had salary to spend and a TPP to make. Marchbank huge talent. McDonald the perfect depth player.

We are in good place, but the next steps are crucial. They will dictate whether we are just part of the finals for a while or a premiership team.

We currently have a lot of players on our list, who for various reasons are unable to play AFL. Make no mistake, this is a threat to our fortunes this season. Our depth has done a great job but, some of our areas need deepening.

Things to fix next season.

McGovern's contract cost us no one, we had salary to spend and a TPP to make. Marchbank huge talent. McDonald the perfect depth player.

We are in good place, but the next steps are crucial. They will dictate whether we are just part of the finals for a while or a premiership team.

We currently have a lot of players on our list, who for various reasons are unable to play AFL. Make no mistake, this is a threat to our fortunes this season. Our depth has done a great job but, some of our areas need deepening.

Things to fix next season.

McGovern cost us 2 x 2nd rounders.

1. He's not qualified for the MSD - don't know if the AFL would allow him to un-retire somehow, given he wasn't de-listed, but apart from that he won't be able to play this year. He certainly won't be available for any other side.

2. If he decided to get his first jab today, his second jab wouldn't come till August-ish - would be potentially available for finals. Doubt we'd consider that to be worth it.

As for keeping him on the list for next year... Dunno. But I'd think the club has probably moved on.
Why would we move on? Crazy. Liam Jones is a gun and if he is available to be on a list we'd better make damn sure it is ours!

He is the best key defender in the country currently not playing in the afl. He is loved at the club. We need to get him back if we can. I don't understand the logic of giving up on him. Do we want to win a flag or not?

They have a Category B rookie on their list this year and took 2 rookies in the mid season draft last year, one of whom has since departed. Not the first Cat B rookie they have had, either.

The year prior they took an academy kid in the SSP, a few weeks out from the start of the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back