Training 2022 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking forward to track watchers observations on how players are moving, looking etc.

Players like Fish, O'Brien, Kemp, Parks, Philp have all been under-developed since they've been on the list (I know they are young, but other teams seem to develop their youngsters physically). Although Kemp is a good size he seemed to get rag dolled a bit last year. Do they look AFL size/strength?

Is Charlie kicking the ball well? He had a tendency in his games last year to try and overkick everything. Is he jumping for marks? He didn't last year.

Is Harry stronger in the core? He got pushed off the ball a lot last year. Could kick 75 goals if he can hold his ground in marking contests.

Has TDK got stronger in the core?

Has Kennedy finally lost that puppy fat and is now at his optimum fitness level (ie. is he moving around the ground better?). The couple of photos of him I've seen look like he has transformed his body shape.

Does McGovern look good in defence (as the 3rd tall)? He has the speed, marking prowess, aggression and foot skills, so it is possible, if not unlikely.

Thoughts on our new recruits:
Can Young hold down a KPD position?
Are Boyd's foot skills as good as we've been told?
Are Cerra's skills as good as we are led to believe?
Is Hewitt as good a defensive runner as we are led to believe?

Is Cripps fit?
Is Martin fit?
Is Williams fit?

How are the rehab players moving?

I know this is a big ask, but hoping everything is covered from the track-watchers over the next 1-2 months..

Do they look AFL size/strength?

Is Charlie kicking the ball well? Is he jumping for marks? He didn't last year.

Is Harry stronger in the core?

Has Kennedy finally lost that puppy fat and is now at his optimum fitness level (ie. is he moving around the ground better?). The couple of photos of him I've seen look like he has transformed his body shape.

Does McGovern look good in defence (as the 3rd tall)? He has the speed, marking prowess, aggression and foot skills, so it is possible, if not unlikely.

Is Cripps fit?
Is Martin fit?
Is Williams fit?

I know this is a big ask, but hoping everything is covered from the track-watchers over the next 1-2 months..

I haven't wanted someone to answer yes so badly since I proposed to my wife...

Looking forward to track watchers observations on how players are moving, looking etc.

Players like Fish, O'Brien, Kemp, Parks, Philp have all been under-developed since they've been on the list (I know they are young, but other teams seem to develop their youngsters physically). Although Kemp is a good size he seemed to get rag dolled a bit last year. Do they look AFL size/strength?

Is Charlie kicking the ball well? He had a tendency in his games last year to try and overkick everything. Is he jumping for marks? He didn't last year.

Is Harry stronger in the core? He got pushed off the ball a lot last year. Could kick 75 goals if he can hold his ground in marking contests.

Is Cripps fit?
Is Martin fit?
Is Williams fit?

I like all these questions. The other is, can you see a sense of a coherent game plan that will take us forward? Obviously, open training sessions will only give a glimpse at this point, but I would like to hear this... Thanks to all who can go, and whatever you may report...

Mine will be hoof code.

Apparently monkeys have 40 different hand/body signals that they use to communicate.

But they only have the one word "ooh-ooh-ahh-ahh", which means this bath water is really hot...

Apparently monkeys have 40 different hand/body signals that they use to communicate.

But they only have the one word "ooh-ooh-ahh-ahh", which means this bath water is very hot...
That's bananas!!

One thing on mcgovern is he is best when he comes into a marking contest floating across - he had the fastest sprint time in game in our side 2020 from memory and his field kicking is very good . I remember when we played Adelaide he was that third tall defender (interceptor) he had about 20 marks .. he isn't a good lead up forward or even decoy - he has found his home - hopefully he stays fit ..

Kinda like when I get asked “do you want fries with that?”
thumb_185504184_287230849745638_6567414773648681351_n-8107615465.jpg

One thing on mcgovern is he is best when he comes into a marking contest floating across - he had the fastest sprint time in game in our side 2020 from memory and his field kicking is very good . I remember when we played Adelaide he was that third tall defender (interceptor) he had about 20 marks .. he isn't a good lead up forward or even decoy - he has found his home - hopefully he stays fit ..
I don’t mind McGovern in the forward line I can see us kicking big scores with all three playing there Curnow McKay
In that scenario he might only kick one goal but the forward line operates well
A concern I have is mid to tall fast leading forwards I’m not sure Young or Weitering have the pace to match them
My feeling is Marchbank has a reading of the play reasonable pace and a good defenders execution
If both are fit in form both are best 22 then McGovern plays forward
If Marchbank doesn’t up get we might need McGovern sliding in front of Young
There aren’t many players in our team I see kicking 4-5 goals in game I think McGovern could do it in a final
He’s probably the only player who could take a stand on you’re. Shoulders screamer on the 50 and kick a goal
Maybe not now I’ve noticed since his injury problems his lost a few meters on goal kicking and looks to give it of a bit more
So picture I’ve got is Cerra with Curnow leading straight at him Honey down the middle and McGovern to the pocket all can kick goals from distance
Then McKay sitting behind with the smalls some one is going to get an easy possession
Just a tad excited to see how this team that’s taken so long to build plays against opposition
The players planned for available just to give us glimpse of our potential would will be a bloody hoot

yeah he just got it too bogged down in defense in the classroom.
Also went a little early putting all the kids in the midfield. Had Cripps, Fisher (3rd year), SPS (3rd year) and Dow (2nd year) taking 90% of the onball minutes with Ed and Murph moved out entirely. If he didn't do that Carlton probably win 2-3 more games in the first half of that year and he keeps his job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The players planned for available just to give us glimpse of our potential would will be a bloody hoot
how tragically true is this? that the idea of having something close to a full list/full potential available is borderline laughable now.........kill me........

I don’t mind McGovern in the forward line I can see us kicking big scores with all three playing there Curnow McKay
In that scenario he might only kick one goal but the forward line operates well
A concern I have is mid to tall fast leading forwards I’m not sure Young or Weitering have the pace to match them
My feeling is Marchbank has a reading of the play reasonable pace and a good defenders execution
If both are fit in form both are best 22 then McGovern plays forward
If Marchbank doesn’t up get we might need McGovern sliding in front of Young
There aren’t many players in our team I see kicking 4-5 goals in game I think McGovern could do it in a final
He’s probably the only player who could take a stand on you’re. Shoulders screamer on the 50 and kick a goal
Maybe not now I’ve noticed since his injury problems his lost a few meters on goal kicking and looks to give it of a bit more
So picture I’ve got is Cerra with Curnow leading straight at him Honey down the middle and McGovern to the pocket all can kick goals from distance
Then McKay sitting behind with the smalls some one is going to get an easy possession
Just a tad excited to see how this team that’s taken so long to build plays against opposition
However he’s probably more likely to have 3 possessions for the game in said final

Great to see Mirkov's physical development coming along.

View attachment 1316422

Will provide an enormous amount of flexibility as to how the club chooses to deploy TDK if his play can be successfully developed over the next year or so.
not to mention the courage of ed & tom after their amputations..........

Interested to know if the likes of Glass-McCasker (and perhaps Hayes) are appearing in our training sessions. Think I can remember him (JGM) being identified in a pic or clip. With our limited mature KPP, and the threat of Covid protocols impacting available players we will need ready to go players. I am all for young forward/ruck Josh Cripps getting a gig, but he will need a couple of years to be AFL ready while JGM should be ready to go.

AFLW has players unavailable weekly due to protocols, surely we can accept similar. Jesse must have the inside running under these circumstances despite not being named a train on player.

View attachment 1316422

Will provide an enormous amount of flexibility as to how the club chooses to deploy TDK if his play can be successfully developed over the next year or so.
Wish my parents had fed me whatever Mirkov's parents fed him...

Interested to know if the likes of Glass-McCasker (and perhaps Hayes) are appearing in our training sessions. Think I can remember him (JGM) being identified in a pic or clip. With our limited mature KPP, and the threat of Covid protocols impacting available players we will need ready to go players. I am all for young forward/ruck Josh Cripps getting a gig, but he will need a couple of years to be AFL ready while JGM should be ready to go.

AFLW has players unavailable weekly due to protocols, surely we can accept similar. Jesse must have the inside running under these circumstances despite not being named a train on player.
Both JGM and Hayes have been participating in training sessions inc open training last week.

View attachment 1316422

Wow, that's impressive. He's at a playable size and seems to be thriving in an elite environment.

If he keeps going and gets really solid he'll be dominant tap ruck around the ground at his height.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back