Training 2022 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Setters will go ok this season I feel with all starting from ground zero. I had heard the Teague had no time for him rumour as well. Hopefully it was just that and he is in a good space and realises his career hangs on this season. Has to get an opportunity to run in the midfield though as well. Needs a bit to go right for him for him if he is able to show his wares.

By the end of 2022, Setterfield will be a starting mid (or at the very least in a strong rotation through the middle). We quickly forget that in 2020 he was one of our most improved players. 2021 saw injuries curtail any chance at building consistency and form. And inexplicably he was played on the wing when he has zero attributes to be a potent wingman. He wasn't given a fair run at it in 2021, such was the way of our former coach playing favourites. I don't buy into the talk of him half-assing efforts. Some players just have that laconic look about them. Anyway, 2022 will be a huge year for Setterfield and the majority of our playing list as careers will be on the line with a new coach and competition for spots well and truly heating up.

Is setters competing with Kennedy for a spot in the team? Both play inside mid so I’m thinking he is. if so and Kennedy remains injury free and continues his good form from 2021 then I imagine setters has some way to go to become a regular senior player. Considering Walsh Cerra Cripps and Hewy play mostly mid and are walk up starters every game.

By the end of 2022, Setterfield will be a starting mid (or at the very least in a strong rotation through the middle). We quickly forget that in 2020 he was one of our most improved players. 2021 saw injuries curtail any chance at building consistency and form. And inexplicably he was played on the wing when he has zero attributes to be a potent wingman. He wasn't given a fair run at it in 2021, such was the way of our former coach playing favourites. I don't buy into the talk of him half-assing efforts. Some players just have that laconic look about them. Anyway, 2022 will be a huge year for Setterfield and the majority of our playing list as careers will be on the line with a new coach and competition for spots well and truly heating up.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not having a crack at you personally, but this is just making excuses.
I know nothing of his personal life, the extent of his injuries, or if the coach played favorites.

All I judge him by is the efforts I saw on game days, and they were indeed half-assed.

Barely a jog to a contest. Sitting back and waiting to receive the ball instead of making an effort to get it, barely throwing an arm out to tackle.

Being played out of position doesn't excuse piss poor effort.

He has the natural attributes and frame to be modern day champion, but go look at the recent training photos of his physique.
He barely has any muscle tone or definition, and 2nd year players seem to have bulked up a lot more than he has in his 5 years of AFL.

No, he deserves the scrutiny and the pressure to perform.
There are others in the side who are not as naturally gifted as him who are fighting hard to retain their spots and deserve their chances.

I know nothing of his personal life, the extent of his injuries, or if the coach played favorites.

All I judge him by is the efforts I saw on game days, and they were indeed half-assed.

Barely a jog to a contest. Sitting back and waiting to receive the ball instead of making an effort to get it, barely throwing an arm out to tackle.

He has the natural attributes and frame to be modern day champion, but go look at the recent training photos of his physique.
He barely has any muscle tone or definition, and 2nd year players seem to have bulked up a lot more than he has in his 5 years of AFL.

There are others in the side who are not as naturally gifted as him who are fighting hard to retain their spots and deserve their chances.
Fair.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m not making excuses for Setters at all- I’m stating my opinion based on what I saw of him in 2021 and what I’ve seen from him in the past. He is not a wingman that much is clear. Does being played out of position mean he should give half-efforts? No. Can we be sure he gave half efforts? No. There are many factors at play that a fan like you or I has no idea about. For instance, he may have been playing with injuries that we didn’t know about that greatly inhibited his abilities. I wouldn’t put it past us to have been picking him injured when we clearly did it with many other players all year. The other thing, at least from my viewings, it often appeared like our players were either bereft of confidence (hence the ball watching) or were instructed to guard space rather than ball hunt or attack the opposition. I think that indecisiveness was clearly visible on field not just with Setters but all of our players.

As someone in the sport science industry, I can tell you that not every physique develops at the same rate, nor do you want every player to have the same physique. Without knowing all the particulars, injury history, etc.. it’s hard to say what optimal shape looks like for Setters, but his physique is more than adequate to play significant midfield minutes. We don’t need him to be a tank like Cripps or Kennedy. Building up to that level would likely have a negative impact on his speed and acceleration (already not his greatest strengths). At his height the main thing is being able to stand up in a tackle with strength through the hips and keep the hands free above the tackle to release the ball.

Every player on our list whether it be one of our guns or a first year player deserves criticism where it is due, but my opinion is that we will see a better Setterfield in 2022 if he’s played to his strengths (as with a lot of our players). I stand by the fact that managing our players to correct positions is our biggest challenge with the list we have. So many players played out of positions yet it’s impossible to play them all where they should be.

Setters has the talent to turn things around but sadly I get the feeling he's coming from a long way back now.

Saw him last year at the VFL when he was out injured and could not believe how slight he was. Looked to have lost a heap of weight.

Here's hoping he regains some confidence because his 2020 was really promising.

Setters is a massive confidence player, but as others have noted he played with the intensity of a turtle last year and this type of approach for the contest will not be tolerated by Voss on the training track, let alone a game. There is a bloke called Angus who plays for a club called Melbourne and this chap I talk of was drafted as a pure inside mid and I would have loved to have seen Setters apply himself to the wing role the ways Brayshaw has at the dees and whilst we can make excuses for him, he ultimately didn’t take his chance to make this spot his own and this is on him alone and not anyone else. His clear best position is inside mid and he has so many AFL level traits, but it seems like mental steel is not one of them and can’t see this changing. I hope I am wrong and he can it around, but on recent evidence it’s just hard to picture.

Setterfield end of 2020 was as good as Stockers and better than Kemps 2021. You can’t just lose that talent and I believe he will come out fighting and regain his confidence this year.

One of the traits I noticed with Setterfield he was always involved late in games when the real pressure was on in close games, he demanded the ball and seemed in the right places, some players go missing late in close games they are scared to make mistakes but Setterfield was always involved.

But he needs to find another role in the team as the inside mid has a few ahead of him, but where is the problem

Setterfield is another difficult one. Was tracking better than Kennedy, now not. I do think it must be injury related with him but that is my guess. I have to accept him not trying much In 2021 ….but in wrong position and wrong body weight style.

Despite all Russell’s accolades I don’t rate him at Carlton yet. Screwed Cripps and Setterfield body styles. Was part of the match group that let Fisher, Martin, Casbault and Cripps all play poor while injured. All when we had fit options available. If he was against it then his voice not strong enough. Playing injured players and underdone players isn’t professional or tough. It’s stupid.

Back to Setterfield. I like him but like Kennedy suffers from the Cripps love. Love that in the last two years is falsely placed. It must irk them a lot as they want the same role But are continually asked not to compete and try for other non suitable roles making them look worse on the surface of things. Based on the last two years Cripps form, they should be offered 100% equal chance to win the inside role. At least Kennedy For sure. I include Stocker too who would want that role.

If Cripps gets his old self back then it’s the end for both Kennedy and Setters. Unlikely. Most likely is a slightly better Cripps in 2022 who still can’t run defensively or kick to advantage. In this latter case I’d like to see rotation and freshness between Setters, Cripps and Kennedy.

Setters needs a little luck fitness, position and injury wise but I like him. The crapness for him is he is competing with a lot of players with similar attributes and role aspirations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the same vein as the Setters chat - the shape Cerra's in puts our "home grown" mids to shame
There are still plenty on here who don’t appreciate what we have with Cerra.

If Crippa can harness his strengths again combined with Walsh, Cerra and a handful of other options who are quality in their own right, our midfield will be spoken of like some of the classic groups in bygone years. Feel free to bookmark naysayers.

Unfortunately for Setters, I only see his suitable role being an inside mid. Doesn't have the speed to play outside role, and his ball use would be on the poor side of the spectrum for an AFL level player.

But here's hoping!

I feel Cripps has as much to prove this season as anyone on the list. Couple of below par seasons from his all conquering year, few critics starting to question his place in the elite echelons and a 6 yr contract to boot. If anyone needs to just knuckle down and let his footy do the talking it is he.

I feel Cripps has as much to prove this season as anyone on the list. Couple of below par seasons from his all conquering year, few critics starting to question his place in the elite echelons and a 6 yr contract to boot. If anyone needs to just knuckle down and let his footy do the talking it is he.
As the midfield group strengthens I'm hoping he can just play to his strengths rather trying to be everything and carry the side

If both were to reach their 'potential', I would much rather it be Setters. He has more AFL traits and is a much better defensive runner than Kennedy.

At this stage though, Kennedy's mindset appears to be much stronger and that's all the matters. I was frustrated even watching Setters run around in the VFL. No intensity and no desire.

By the end of 2022, Setterfield will be a starting mid (or at the very least in a strong rotation through the middle). We quickly forget that in 2020 he was one of our most improved players. 2021 saw injuries curtail any chance at building consistency and form. And inexplicably he was played on the wing when he has zero attributes to be a potent wingman.

Yeah, I think we forget how promising he was looking prior to 2021. But the clock is certainly ticking. I know it didn't work, but I can see why the MC moved him back out to the wing (to allow Walsh to play more inside). Because he actually played some pretty decent footy in that role at the club, back in 2019 (I think it was). One of the reasons why he was drafted so highly was an ability to play both on the inside or the outside.

The reason why Setterfield/Fisher/Dow/LoB/Kennedy are not in the same class as a poor day Cripps or Walsh is that they are (based on form to date) - very ordinary midfielders. As a group they all lack the required combination of speed|endurance|ability to execute skills under pressure| and either win or halve contests.

Out of the lot of them Kennedy has the best combination of skill|execution under presure| and ability to impact score board when required - I see him as a poorer version of Ed Curnow as far as on field impact goes- because few have the running and endurance power of Ed- where Kennedy has better skill execution - Ed gets there more often - the rest are not finals quality midfield options at this stage and will be struggling to beat younger players coming through like Carroll or an injury-free Cuningham or a fitter rotation in Martin or Williams or a fit Cunigham allowed to play oninstinct and utilise his speed and execution ability - because the other midfielders are doing their jobs.

This is why the Club has HAD to spend the cash on Cerra and recruit Hewett - in order to lift the midfield skill levels and execution ability up from bottom 4 - despite having Cripps and Walsh. All going well:

Cripps/Walsh/Cerra/ Hewett / Ed Curnow with Williams/Martin as rotations - sees Carlton requiring choice out of the rest as the final midfielder in starting 22.

Setterfield/LoB/Dow/Fisher/Carrol/Philp/Kennedy/Cottrell/Newnes - will all be playing more VFL than AFL - in order to be starting players - they will have to push blokes who are genuinely competitive 4 quarter developed players out - and for some - I don't see it happening - and I don't see it will matter much anyway. The Club has made a statement - to the laggards- " we aren't waiting any more".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back