Resource 2023 AFL Draft Discussion...

Remove this Banner Ad

Mckercher won’t be available so it’s only sanders

Outside of Sanders there are no star mids available to us

Hope we trade it out for a good player but not sure who we can get
It does feel like a no win situation for us. No obvious out of contract star mid to trade for, the midfield talent not there this year in the draft and the club obviously needing an experienced player to bring the level straight away if the rebuild is to progress.

It does feel like a no win situation for us. No obvious out of contract star mid to trade for, the midfield talent not there this year in the draft and the club obviously needing an experienced player to bring the level straight away if the rebuild is to progress.

Maybe need to trade futures to get into the top 10.

It would be nice to know how many players the Tasmanian team could target from a single club.
AFL are likely to mandate the following. Collingwood and Geelong - none, obviously.
Other VFL clubs - one only, providing he is not under contract, over the age of 35 and susceptible to gout.
Interstate clubs - have at it.

If we end up with pick 8 or 9 would you target Zane Duursma? No go home factor you'd think and the type of goal kicking, zippy, tall mid we need?

Mutineer
I'd be happy with him or Freijah assuming one or both are still available at our pick.

Freijah might be more outside than inside but looks a good user and goal kicker.

I think Finn O'Sullivan likely goes before all of Draper, Hargrave and Lalor, looks a pretty special talent to my eye but next year's draft unlike this year looks to be a draft with plenty of midfield talent at the top end.
Understanding there's not a depth of midfielders ......post National Draft, what's the consensus as to the overall strength of this Draft ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mckercher won’t be available so it’s only sanders

Outside of Sanders there are no star mids available to us

Hope we trade it out for a good player but not sure who we can get
Can you(or anyone on here) shed any light on the Vic Country big-bodied midfielder, George Stevens? I understand he's just started playing again after an ACL tear & is a potential mid-field beast. Nobody would argue that we need one of those!!

Can you(or anyone on here) shed any light on the Vic Country big-bodied midfielder, George Stevens? I understand he's just started playing again after an ACL tear & is a potential mid-field beast. Nobody would argue that we need one of those!!
Most discussion I've heard pegs him as a bit slow to be a midfielder at the top level?

I’d be concerned he’s a Will Gould type scenario

I could be spectacularly wrong though but I don’t think he’s a 1st rounder

So why have we loaded up picks for this Draft ?
Hamish is quoted in saying he likes this draft

He loves going against the grain

I’m sure we’d like to trade at least one of our top 3 picks for a ready made player

Personally I think this draft is below average given alot of the best players won’t be available to us

The allies are a great aide but we won’t have access to many of them with academies

Vic Metro / SA / WA are all below their usual level IMO

Hamish is quoted in saying he likes this draft

He loves going against the grain

I’m sure we’d like to trade at least one of our top 3 picks for a ready made player

Personally I think this draft is below average given alot of the best players won’t be available to us

The allies are a great aide but we won’t have access to many of them with academies

Vic Metro / SA / WA are all below their usual level IMO
Hamish has also said its a half back flanker dominated draft and been quoted as saying "if we have a pick".

I'm relatively convinced we won't be using our first and there's a player we are targeting that may not have been mentioned.

Hamish has also said its a half back flanker dominated draft and been quoted as saying "if we have a pick".

I'm relatively convinced we won't be using our first and there's a player we are targeting that may not have been mentioned.
Yeah..

Redman has probably agreed to come over to the crows.. but has told them already that Dodo has already hinted he will match any contract.. and force a trade..

See ya pick 1 this year and next year..

You know that’s gonna be the exact thinking of the dodo.. especially if The Dons finish above us on the ladder and thus we have a better pick than any compo they’ll get..

Its the way of the dodo..

I wish we had the dodo at our club.. especially when that Brad Crouch “hahaha… we bluffed and failed” farce went down.

Maybe need to trade futures to get into the top 10.

Gold Coast wont need their first pick, and would be looking for more points. Id be trading up for their first pick using a combo of our first and 2 x 2nds, and then at this stage I'd be selecting Zane Duursma around the 4-6 pick range. Has the talent and fills some needs for us in being a different style mid than what we already have.

Regardless our current pick is a real tough one. Our midfield needs more talent. Id be looking to trade up to GC's first to put us in a better hitting zone of some elite talent imo.

Gold Coast wont need their first pick, and would be looking for more points. Id be trading up for their first pick using a combo of our first and 2 x 2nds, and then at this stage I'd be selecting Zane Duursma around the 4-6 pick range. Has the talent and fills some needs for us in being a different style mid than what we already have.

Regardless our current pick is a real tough one. Our midfield needs more talent. Id be looking to trade up to GC's first to put us in a better hitting zone of some elite talent imo.
I’m not the biggest Duursma fan, reminds me a bit of Jaidyn Stephenson

Wilson/Sanders/Curtin (if he falls) would be my targets

What makes you think that we will be higher than GC? We can guarantee pick 4 simply by losing a couple of winnable games. ;)

I’m not the biggest Duursma fan, reminds me a bit of Jaidyn Stephenson

Wilson/Sanders/Curtin (if he falls) would be my targets

Look I'll be the first to admit I haven't followed this year's class as closely as others. Based on reading the updates from games coming through, I like Duursma because I feel like he has a very high celing, and as I said he's very different to anything we have on our list at the moment. Whether or not he reaches his ceiling or just continues to show flashes in the pan remains to be seen, but consistency wise he seems to be doing well so far? If he has Xavier's endeavour and engine, then that's a big bonus.

Im not the biggest fan of Sanders again purely cos he's so similar to a lot of what we already have in midfielder stocks. If we keep our first rounder, I would rather Wilson from that lot personally, as he sounds talented but also brings something different to our midfield mix (but again im no junior talent expert).

Last edited:
Look I'll be the first to admit I haven't followed this year's class as closely as others. Based on reading the updates from games coming through, I like Duursma because I feel like he has a very high celing, and as I said he's very different to anything we have on our list at the moment. Whether or not he reaches his ceiling or just continues to show flashes in the pain remains to be seen. If he has Xavier's endeavour and engine, then that's a big bonus.

Im not the biggest fan of Sanders purely again cos he's so similar to a lot of what we already have in midfielder stocks. If we keep our first rounder, I would rather Wilson from that lot personally (but again im no junior talent expert).
Duursma’s form in the middle whenever I’ve watched him is very hit-or-miss. I like him as a forward, but is that what we need the most right now? Probably not

I don’t mind Sanders for us as I think we lack players who can actually win a clearance, beyond Laird. Our next best is Keays, who shouldn’t be getting full time midfield minutes at this point, due to other deficiencies

Sanders mightn’t be the most game-breaking midfield prospect, but he’s not a player that totally lacks impact and hurt factor. Could be more consistently aggressive with his ball use, but beyond that he seems relatively well-rounded

But who knows, still plenty of months left in the year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back