Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Is Jed Walter really rated that highly? I know he played well in the U18 Championships and I guess we'll know more after this weekend when Queensland take on Vic Metro in the U17s clash but pick 2 for Walter seems like a big jump when compared to my understanding of where he was rated. Your list implies that Walter by far the best key forward available in this draft class and is probably considered more valuable than any mid other than Reid.

Nice to see fellow Suns academy players Rogers and Read also made your top 30.
he kicked 9 goals in 4 games for the Allies as an underager, he moves beautifully(very athletic for a big man), he was part of the AFL Academy as an underager, he was very impressive in all of the GCS A V NAB League opponent games, he seems to be clearly the best KPF in the draft, Archer Reid performed to a high level at the Vic Trials but faltered a little at the champs which leads me to believe Walter is the #1 KPF in next years draft (previous to the champs i had Walter as outside the top 10 until he proves himself against better opponents and then likely jumping up to top 3 contention, so idk where you rated him and why?)

Jake Rogers is a very quick and skillful mid/forw, has impressed me in a bunch of games early in the season and then had a great champs playing 2-3 games of high quality for the Allies, if he can continue this form he should go 1st round or thereabouts.

Ethan Read is more a potential speculative prospect, he showed moments of talent and i thought i should mention him in the top 30 at this stage.

pushintheback

All Australian
May 31, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Is Jed Walter really rated that highly? I know he played well in the U18 Championships and I guess we'll know more after this weekend when Queensland take on Vic Metro in the U17s clash but pick 2 for Walter seems like a big jump when compared to my understanding of where he was rated. Your list implies that Walter by far the best key forward available in this draft class and is probably considered more valuable than any mid other than Reid.

Nice to see fellow Suns academy players Rogers and Read also made your top 30.
Vic
he kicked 9 goals in 4 games for the Allies as an underager, he moves beautifully(very athletic for a big man), he was part of the AFL Academy as an underager, he was very impressive in all of the GCS A V NAB League opponent games, he seems to be clearly the best KPF in the draft, Archer Reid performed to a high level at the Vic Trials but faltered a little at the champs which leads me to believe Walter is the #1 KPF in next years draft (previous to the champs i had Walter as outside the top 10 until he proves himself against better opponents and then likely jumping up to top 3 contention, so idk where you rated him and why?)

Jake Rogers is a very quick and skillful mid/forw, has impressed me in a bunch of games early in the season and then had a great champs playing 2-3 games of high quality for the Allies, if he can continue this form he should go 1st round or thereabouts.

Ethan Read is more a potential speculative prospect, he showed moments of talent and i thought i should mention him in the top 30 at this stage.
i would be really surprised if he plays in any of the u17 games this wknd. None of the VM or VC bottom agers are playing this weekend.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta

pushintheback

All Australian
May 31, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
As suspected none of the u17's that played in the u18 National Champs have been selected, including Jed Walter. I suspect the next time we will see them is on the G GF day.
Keen to see how Logan Morris goes. Are these games televised?

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
As suspected none of the u17's that played in the u18 National Champs have been selected, including Jed Walter. I suspect the next time we will see them is on the G GF day.
Keen to see how Logan Morris goes. Are these games televised?
Yep streamed on Cluch tv if you join.

pushintheback

All Australian
May 31, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
did anyone watch any of the u17 games yesterday? I watched the first half of the VC vs NSW game. Looked like the conditions were a little tricky. The only standout for me in the 1st half was Harvey Thomas. He seemed to handle the conditions well and made good decisions.
VM had a strong win against Qld as expected. Who played well?

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
did anyone watch any of the u17 games yesterday? I watched the first half of the VC vs NSW game. Looked like the conditions were a little tricky. The only standout for me in the 1st half was Harvey Thomas. He seemed to handle the conditions well and made good decisions.
VM had a strong win against Qld as expected. Who played well?

my thoughts on the 1st game:

u17 Futures game between VC and NSW (81-67) NSW were up for a good contest in rainy conditions

close game, VC had a few missing (H.Reid, A.Reid, Duursma, Stevens and a few others)

standouts in the game

1. James Lugsdin (Syd A)
2. Luamon Lual (GWV)
3. Billy Wilson (Dand)
4. Michael Rudd (Geel)

VC: Sam Frangalas(Dand), Kobe Shipp(Dand), Joel Freijah(GWV), Cooper Simpson(Dand), Lachlan Smith(Gipps), Liam Kershaw(Geel), Oliver Poole(Bend)
NSW: Charlie Hillier(Bend), Harvey Thomas(GWS A), Cooper McClennan(Syd A)

a few disappointments: Darcy Wilson, Kade De La Rue, Malik Gordan, Caiden Cleary

Last edited:

pushintheback

All Australian
May 31, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide

my thoughts on the 1st game:

u17 Futures game between VC and NSW (81-67) NSW were up for a good contest in rainy conditions

close game, VC had a few missing (H.Reid, A.Reid, Duursma, Stevens and a few others)

standouts in the game

1. James Lugsdin (Syd A)
2. Luamon Lual (GWV)
3. Billy Wilson (Dand)
4. Michael Rudd (Geel)

VC: Sam Frangalas(Dand), Kobe Shipp(Dand), Joel Freijah(GWV), Cooper Simpson(Dand), Lachlan Smith(Gipps), Liam Kershaw(Geel), Oliver Poole(Bend)
NSW: Charlie Hillier(Bend), Harvey Thomas(GWS A), Cooper McClennan(Syd A)

a few disappointments: Darcy Wilson, Kade De La Rue, Malik Gordan, Caiden Cleary
All teams had a few missing as they played in the u18 champs. From what I saw at this stage the gap has widened from the top 20 (2023 cohort) to the rest. I think we can pick the first 20 selected for the GF Day Futures game. The 20 including SA & WA boys.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
All teams had a few missing as they played in the u18 champs. From what I saw at this stage the gap has widened from the top 20 (2023 cohort) to the rest. I think we can pick the first 20 selected for the GF Day Futures game. The 20 including SA & WA boys.

Who's your top 20?

pushintheback

All Australian
May 31, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Who's your top 20?
i don't get to see a lot of SA or WA games but what I have seen I have listed who i liked.

1. Harley Reid - Bend
2. Zane Duursma - Gipps
3. Archer Reid -Gipps
4. Ashton Moir - Glenlg
5. Jed Walter - GCS
6. Colby McKercher - Tas.
7. Nick Watson - East
8. Nathan Philactides - Oak
9. Nate Caddy - North
10. Logan Morris - West Jets
11. Koltyn Tholstrup - Subi
12. Kynan Brown - Oak
13. Koen Sanchez - Est Frem
14. Sam Frangalas - Dand
15. Jack Delean - Sth Adel
16. Daniel Curtin - Clare
17. Riley Hardeman - Swan Dist
18. Archie Roberts - Sand
19. Coby James - Mur
20. Cooper Simpson - Dand

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
u17 VM 114-57 QLD

windy conditions, VM were too strong overall, especially midfield dominance (missing for VM - Watson, Philactides, Caddy, C.Windsor, Smit)

standouts in the game:

1. Will Lorenz (Oak) - 3 goals from mid and was dominant in midfield
2. Logan Morris (Western) - 4 goals and dominated the forward 50
3. Darcy Weeks (Western) - 2 goals from mid

VM: Archie Roberts (Sand), Mahmoud Taha (Calder)(2 goals from mid), Kynan Brown (Oak), Kade Mueller (Cald), Jude Georgievski (Northern), Riley Weatherill (Eastern), Will Green (Northern), Sam Phillips (Oak), Cam Nyko (Eastern), Diesel Moloney (Western), Luke Lloyd (Sand)

QLD: Billy Richardson, Ethan Read

Last edited:

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
u17 VM 114-57 QLD

windy conditions, VM were too strong overall, especially midfield dominance (missing for VM - Watson, Philactides, Caddy, C.Windsor, Smit)

standouts in the game:

1. Will Lorenz (Oak) - 3 goals from mid and was dominant in midfield
2. Logan Morris (Western) - 4 goals and dominated the forward 50
3. Darcy Weeks (Western) - 2 goals from mid

VM: Archie Roberts (Sand), Mahmoud Taha (Calder)(2 goals from mid), Kynan Brown (Oak), Kade Mueller (Cald), Jude Georgievski (Northern), Riley Weatherill (Eastern), Will Green (Northern), Sam Phillips (Oak), Cam Nyko (Eastern), Diesel Moloney (Western), Luke Lloyd (Sand)

QLD: Billy Richardson, Ethan Read
Missed the game, as I was at work (I’m getting sick of working weekends after 30 years).

Where did Richardson and Read play.

Did Richardson standout in an overwhelmed team? Or was he just one of the few to not play as poorly as others?

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Missed the game, as I was at work (I’m getting sick of working weekends after 30 years).

Did Richardson standout in an overwhelmed team? Or was he just one of the few to not play as poorly as others?
tbh qld were so poor i just put those 2 up there as i think they have some talent, not much else to get from that game for qld, they got some cheap scores when VM put their foot off their throat, not the greatest contest.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
tbh qld were so poor i just put those 2 up there as i think they have some talent, not much else to get from that game for qld, they got some cheap scores when VM put their foot off their throat, not the greatest contest.
Just got through watching it.

Yup QLD was very poor.

It was really sad (bad) seeing a lot of U17 Lions academy kids, who played in the U16’s this year.

No way should we have had that many U17’s, playing U16’s.

From a Lions perspective, I thought Patrick Snell did alright as a tall defender. And Richardson had mixed results playing at either end. At least he got up the ground a bit to provide a reliable mark when we rebounded the ball out of defence, in the 3rd quarter.

pushintheback

All Australian
May 31, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide

I just watched the game. Very scrappy game, some players racked up plenty of the footy but a lot of sloppy disposal. Maybe this was due to the windy conditions. In no particular order I thought the better players and/or have some nice attributes are. However, before I start making any concrete observations I would like to see more of all the players particularly VM as QLD really struggled against a football state, however, I really liked Will Grahams game for QLD.

QLD
Billy Richardson
Will Graham
Maverick Garaicoa
Nathan Jensen
Jack Stringer

VM
Kade Mueller
Cam Nyko
Aleksander D'Arro
Kynan Brown
Jude Georgievski
Will Lorenz
Logan Morris
Luke Lloyd

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
I just watched the game. Very scrappy game, some players racked up plenty of the footy but a lot of sloppy disposal. Maybe this was due to the windy conditions. In no particular order I thought the better players and/or have some nice attributes are. However, before I start making any concrete observations I would like to see more of all the players particularly VM as QLD really struggled against a football state, however, I really liked Will Grahams game for QLD.

QLD
Billy Richardson
Will Graham
Maverick Garaicoa
Nathan Jensen
Jack Stringer

VM
Kade Mueller
Cam Nyko
Aleksander D'Arro
Kynan Brown
Jude Georgievski
Will Lorenz
Logan Morris
Luke Lloyd
Watched the game last night.

I thought Jensen was soundly beaten in the ruck.

GC’s Ethan Read was by far the better of QLD’s two rucks.

I thought Patrick Snell did good in defence for QLD.

I thought Garaicoa was busy for QLD, but I have concerns about how far he can kick, seems to lack power and distance. I also have concerns if he has the speed and athleticism needed for the top level.

pushintheback

All Australian
May 31, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
TBH the game was so one sided that it makes it hard to judge anyone on the ground. Maybe we will get a better perspective GF day.

pushintheback

All Australian
May 31, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Up and coming Forward Patrick Weckert on debut at SANFL League level for Woodville-West Torrens on the weekend after blitzing the Reserves and school footy in recent weeks..

That’s great. I love hearing this. It’s a pity the NAB league players never get this kind of opportunity. Would love to see the likes of Jefferson. Cadman. Sheezel. Etc play senior footy before getting drafted.

Thunderstruck

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2003
Seaford Meadows, SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Central District
Very big Weckert fan, he stood out last year in that Futures game, clean and fluid, one touch player and looked dangerous back or forward. Great hands and very impressive kick. Deserves a league berth but I'd also definitely have given one to Phillipou and D'Aloia over some of the players they have blooded this year.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Very big Weckert fan, he stood out last year in that Futures game, clean and fluid, one touch player and looked dangerous back or forward. Great hands and very impressive kick. Deserves a league berth but I'd also definitely have given one to Phillipou and D'Aloia over some of the players they have blooded this year.
WWT Teammate Nathan Barkla will be playing his 3rd SANFL League game for Port as part of their NGA Academy.
Probably an indication they intend drafting him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back