Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 147 36.2%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.5%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.3%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.6%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

IMO this is just a ploy to get WC to panic and take their weak offer for pick 1. This is going to be a very entertaining start to the draft with what WC do shaping what we and everyone else does. Not long to go now.

Why would they panic? WCE know if they want Curtin they must take him at 1. They won’t get another chance. They hold the power, not NTH.

Why would they panic? WCE know if they want Curtin they must take him at 1. They won’t get another chance. They hold the power, not NTH.
By floating rumours that there considering taking Duursma / Curtin with picks 2 + 3. It's no secret WC want Curtin which is why I think it's a ploy by North to get them to accept the offer they have on the table for pick 1. Wasn't it pick 2, 15 + 18 or something like that.

Been torn on our first pick for a while.

As much as Curtin would be great and McKercher would be a gun I can’t stop seeing visions of RD1 Reeves winning it in the centre tapping it down to Duke who gives the don’t argue to Pendlebury who turn handballs it to Day who boms it into the 50 to where Lewis crashes the pack but brings the ball down to a crumbing Ginnivan who fumbles the ball to out of nowhere Nick Watson Bursts through the pack and full tilt and snaps it around his body for his the 1st of his 500goals for the Hawks.

When a genuine match winner is available you take him every day of the week.

The Wiz will put bums on seats And will bring excitement and entertainment with every possession.

I can already hear the boys in M10 singing ‘Were off to see the Wizard’

By floating rumours that there considering taking Duursma / Curtin with picks 2 + 3. It's no secret WC want Curtin which is why I think it's a ploy by North to get them to accept the offer they have on the table for pick 1. Wasn't it pick 2, 15 + 18 or something like that.
But WC clearly want Reid more, and that deal will not even get close to changing their minds imo

I am! Bloody loved Schoey - not his fault that Clarko destroyed his confidence by having him be constantly mauled by gorilla forwards during his development years. The 2015 grand final was a taste of what he could have delivered if allowed to develop as a forward.

I’d take another Schoey in a heartbeat.
I mean half this board that wouldn’t stop roasting him haha

(He was great for us)

It's shaping up more and more that we will take whoever of McKercher, Duursma, or Curtin slip through North. No matter what, we will be bringing in a top talent and that is something to get excited about. I went back and watched Curtin's first league game against East Fremantle. He had some good efforts defensively in the air especially considering he was going up against grown key forwards. But the damage he does with ball in hand is superb, and he has the stamina to stay involved for the whole game. I don't think there is a player who fills a bigger need than Curtin, and he's every bit the talent of the others in the top 6

The most impressive highlights package in the draft. We'd take him in a heartbeat.

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk
I think we can put this one to bed. North will definitely be taking Colby - they've been into him for months. I reckon half of us would keel over in shock if he's still there at our pick. The question is who they will go for with their other pick - Curtin or Duursma?
And then of course the fun game of everyone guessing if we'll go for Curtin/Duursma or Watson :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we can put this one to bed. North will definitely be taking Colby - they've been into him for months. I reckon half of us would keel over in shock if he's still there at our pick. The question is who they will go for with their other pick - Curtin or Duursma?
And then of course the fun game of everyone guessing if we'll go for Curtin/Duursma or Watson :)
I feel they'll go Mainland Colby and Duursma.

We'll be picking between Curtin and the Wizard

I am! Bloody loved Schoey - not his fault that Clarko destroyed his confidence by having him be constantly mauled by gorilla forwards during his development years. The 2015 grand final was a taste of what he could have delivered if allowed to develop as a forward.

What a beautiful kick he was too.

It comes to our pick and Curtin is on the board.

West coast offers F1 for our pick 4.
We then trade our f1 for pick 5 plus something?

West coast get Reid and Curtin, we still get one of the top 5 after Reid - who are more or less equal.

Plus we get to death ride west coast to another wooden spoon for pick 1.

Last edited:

The saddest part about Shoey’s story is he just started coming good and bang, did his ACL.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It comes to our pick and Curtin is on the board.

West coast offers F1 for our pick 4.
We then trade our f1 for pick 6 plus something?

West coast get Reid and Curtin, we still get one of the top 5 after Reid - who are more or less equal.

Plus we get to death ride west coast to another wooden spoon for pick 1.
If they come knocking to us as they think we will take Curtin then surely we ask for more than just f1? Also I’m told dees aren’t interested to trade up with us for their 2 picks maybe GWS. How about eagles f1 and f3 for pick 4, our f1 for gws 7 and f2. Take O’Sullivan and McCabe this year. 2024 we have eagles f1, f2 (gws,pies), eagles f3. Would allow us to trade f1 and 2025 f1 for a big fish, or trade both f2s to get another first rounder from lions, crows etc with FS early bids to match.

If they come knocking to us as they think we will take Curtin then surely we ask for more than just f1? Also I’m told dees aren’t interested to trade up with us for their 2 picks maybe GWS. How about eagles f1 and f3 for pick 4, our f1 for gws 7 and f2. Take O’Sullivan and McCabe this year. 2024 we have eagles f1, f2 (gws,pies), eagles f3. Would allow us to trade f1 and 2025 f1 for a big fish, or trade both f2s to get another first rounder from lions, crows etc with FS early bids to match.
7 is a bit too far out for me.

We have to get one of these 4:
  • Duursma
  • Curtin
    Watson
  • McKercher

I don't rate O'Sullivan as highly as others do, and with McCabe coming in I don't think we need him.

7 is a bit too far out for me.

We have to get one of these 4:
  • Duursma
  • Curtin
    Watson
  • McKercher

I don't rate O'Sullivan as highly as others do, and with McCabe coming in I don't think we need him.
Totally fair but even the dees pick 6 doesn’t get you one of those players as in your scenario eagles take Reid and curtin north take mckercher and duursma and dogs take watson. So your scenario makes sense if you are prepared to risk with a big probability that we take a player outside that 5.

Back