Game Day 2023 AFL DRAFT

Remove this Banner Ad

But they traded with Geelong to move up, so the Cats were happy enough not to pick Caddy. Basically Essendon paid pick 31 just to remove the 50/50 doubt on whether Geelong would take Caddy or O'Sullivan.

Wrong - they used 31 to stop someone doing a pick swap with geelong and that team then using geelongs pick to take caddy

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Gee we have such a victim mentality sometimes. Kid is a Crow let's see if he can play first.

Heard from a source we didn't pay the kid that went 1 much attention leading up to draft either. Mustn't have rated him.
That is simply not true.

There's more of a probability you are just making s**t up!
He’s always been suspiciously seen as the undercover powa supporter account in here..

powa supporters are desperately clinging to the hope Curtin is a flight risk.. its that professional jealously thing rising to the surface again. Have been since the moment they saw the incredible good trade deal the crows made to land him..

So I’ve been told by someone who spoke to the Curtin family on draft night that the AFC showed very little interest in Daniel up until 24 hours out. The Curtin’s wanted to stay in WA, but had warmed to the idea of going to Vic. Adelaide was basically a complete shock and they were barely prepared for it. Hence the lack of enthusiasm on draft night.

To be fair on the AFC, they didn’t think he was ever an option until late, so we can’t blame them for not ‘courting’ him.

Up to the club now to make him and his family comfortable. Which I’m backing the club in to do. Not the best start though.
IMG_0214.gif

Here we go. This board is so f%#d when anyone reports any kind of inside goss. Especially when it doesn’t fit their desired narrative.

All I was told was the Curtin weren’t expecting us. Which makes so much sense given the way the draft was predicted.
Told by who?

who was it that told you this?

surely if they are openly walking around telling people like you this info.. then they wont mind you telling us who they are..

its not like its some sort of juicy info that could cause a backlash if it gets out.. its just, if its true, the families opinion that they must’ve, if its true, been very happy to make public at the time. Doesnt seem like info anyone involved was told to keep confidential.

And sorry, but you writing “this board is so fxxked“ doesn't help convince me any further..

Told by who?

who was it that told you this?

surely if they are openly walking around telling people like you this info.. then they wont mind you telling us who they are..

its not like its some sort of juicy info that could cause a backlash if it gets out.. its just, if its true, the families opinion that they must’ve, if its true, been very happy to make public at the time. Doesnt seem like info anyone involved was told to keep confidential.

And sorry, but you writing “this board is so fxxked“ doesn't help convince me any further..
It simply doesn't matter .....and Trigger13 doesn't have to convince you at all .....just believe it or not, and move on

He’s always been suspiciously seen as the undercover powa supporter account in here..

powa supporters are desperately clinging to the hope Curtin is a flight risk.. its that professional jealously thing rising to the surface again. Have been since the moment they saw the incredible good trade deal the crows made to land him..
Here we go. Now the port fan s$$t comes out. Send me a private message and I’ll send you my membership details. Go on, put your money where your mouth is. I’ll also tell you who told me.

Mate, it's not inside gossip. Widely reported the possibility opened up late, we interviewed him a day out, spoke with fam etc. They knew that if we could trade up, we'd take him. It wasn't a surprise to them.
So why am I copping s**t for the fact a journo told me this. So confused as to why people get their backs up about such a trivial thing. Simply thought I’d share it and check out the backlash.

Well, it sounds like we showed less interest than other clubs. Which makes sense given the reaction from the Curtins and the fact Hamish has said the opportunity to get him came very late in the piece.
Could it be because they thought he was un attainable would go in the top 5 ? If you watch the video before the draft that was the reason they rated him so highly and both shane edwards and hamish/reid had met with him previously and wanted him

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Could it be because they thought he was un attainable would go in the top 5 ? If you watch the video before the draft that was the reason they rated him so highly and both shane edwards and hamish/reid had met with him previously and wanted him

Very, very likely. That was the point I was making; it makes sense both club and player were a shock to each other. It just wasn’t a realistic scenario until late.

So why am I copping s**t for the fact a journo told me this. So confused as to why people get their backs up about such a trivial thing. Simply thought I’d share it and check out the backlash.
I dont trust any jurno these days Most make up stories to fit their own narrative ie manure , cornes etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Show me proof otherwise.

... because imo you have nothing on the inside workings of the club.

You are just back to attention seeking making up BS.

Want Rowies gig...
Jesus, calm down. Even Curtin said in his post draft interview that Adelaide as an option only really came up in the last 24 hours before the draft.

It doesn't matter - he's ours now, and we've shown vastly improved results in retaining players.

Here we go. Now the port fan s$$t comes out. Send me a private message and I’ll send you my membership details. Go on, put your money where your mouth is. I’ll also tell you who told me.
Why dont you just supply us ALL with the name of this journalist of yours?.. why the privacy and secrecy?

not sure why a journalist would want to remain anonymous in this situation.

a journo interviewed a family who, if this is true, gave him their thoughts.. none of the info gleaned is anything controversial, unexpected or damaging to anyones reputation… journo then starts sharing this info with others..

So, where’s the need for suppressed names and confidentiality now you’ve decided to share it further?..

did the family somehow not know they were talking to a journalist?.. did your mate the journalist trick them into this interview?

is this journalist actually not a journalist but someone who wants to be one?..

Such an Adelaide board thing to now be arguing about this. Seriously people just be ####### happy we have got such a gun. Rated top 3 by Freo, Weagles and Kangas (but scared off after JHF) based on info received from someone with direct board member access to one of these clubs. Let’s just be thankful he is ours.

I have no doubt we did chat less during the year as believed he was unattainable- esp as we looked liked finishing top 8 for much of the year. Also don’t doubt the clubs detailed article about all the times we met earlier. Both can be true

The first round is pretty much known among the teams and draftees before the telecast.

Why are the Phantom Drafts so accurate?

The trade to get him sorted before draft day.

Curtain would have known he was going to be a Crow a few days before the draft.

His reaction was probably more of relief that it is official.

The actual televised draft is theatre for TV. Teams told to take the full allotment of time to pick, draftees rehearsed in what to say, including knowing the team that picked them. So there are no nervous slips ups.

The latter rounds are more on the fly.

Arguing about first round draft night semantics is akin to arguing whether Santa or the Easter Bunny are real. It is a AFL televised production. The real work already done.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The first round is pretty much known among the teams and draftees before the telecast.

Why are the Phantom Drafts so accurate?

The trade to get him sorted before draft day.

Curtain would have known he was going to be a Crow a few days before the draft.

His reaction was probably more of relief that it is official.

The actual televised draft is theatre for TV. Teams told to take the full allotment of time to pick, draftees rehearsed in what to say, including knowing the team that picked them. So there are no nervous slips ups.

The latter rounds are more on the fly.

Actually I don’t that’s quite true. His surprise was more a function of believing he was off to a MLB club MOST likely. From horses mouth

Jesus, calm down. Even Curtin said in his post draft interview that Adelaide as an option only really came up in the last 24 hours before the draft.

It doesn't matter - he's ours now, and we've shown vastly improved results in retaining players.
There are numerous parts of the post I responded to which are incorrect.

The club did its due diligence on Curtin. Just because they don't disclose it to everyone, doesn't mean a thing.

The club had spoken to Curtin & his family about living in Adelaide they were comfortable with this. I know this for a fact.

Claiming this "is not the best start" is utter bullocks imo.

There are numerous parts of the post I responded to which are incorrect.

The club did its due diligence on Curtin. Just because they don't disclose it to everyone, doesn't mean a thing.

The club had spoken to Curtin & his family about living in Adelaide they were comfortable with this. I know this for a fact.

Claiming this "is not the best start" is utter bullocks imo.
Given the lack of genuine talent we produce here in SA, we need to trust any draftee we get is going to stay.

He is just as much a flight risk as any draftee.

Statistically minimal. Most draftees are non SA kids. A few eventually leave.

Curtain told you this.......ok

TBF .. there were probably more different scenario's about where he'd finish up than any other player in the top end of the draft

North & Clarkson putting time into him. We have no real idea on conversations other clubs like the Hawthorn, Melbounre or WB had with him. Or GWS for that matter.

There was still the possibility being floated in the media up until the draft that we may do a trade with WC for the pick, if we traded up to get the GWS pick

And I got the impression from the Essendon draft clip Geelong were interested and probably would've taken him if he was still there. Add to that Dodoro seemed to think (or hope) we were going to take 1 of Leake or O'Sullivan. Though again, I haven't heard or read how much interest Geelong had anywhere at all really

The surprise may have been genuine. Doesn't mean he's unhappy

Such an Adelaide board thing to now be arguing about this. Seriously people just be ####### happy we have got such a gun. Rated top 3 by Freo, Weagles and Kangas (but scared off after JHF) based on info received from someone with direct board member access to one of these clubs. Let’s just be thankful he is ours.

I have no doubt we did chat less during the year as believed he was unattainable- esp as we looked liked finishing top 8 for much of the year. Also don’t doubt the clubs detailed article about all the times we met earlier. Both can be true
I'd say lets just make sure we surround him with the best people, the most positive people to make sure the first impressions are nothing but great for him and having keays pick him up at the airport was a great start.

But to be fair, i have no doubt once he gets settled ad stuck in with preseason, he will find a great group of guys, many of a similar age and he will be fine

That is simply not true.
the-joke-e-png.972356

I'm not quite sure where there is such a shitfight over this in here. Hasn't this been addressed directly in articles about us and Curtin?

We scouted him from a long way out, including meeting with him multiple times at the start of the year. But we realised pretty early on that he was going to be a super high pick this year, and we were expecting to push for finals. Especially after a strong start to the year, we resigned ourselves to not having access to him and stopped actively pursuing him.

Then, right near the draft it became clear he could be a slider just due to the needs of the teams in front of us, so we quickly placed some calls to ask how he would go if he came to us.

It's not that we ignored him all year, but we expected he would be out of our reach.

Curtin himself wouldn't have known where he was going, because it hinged on GWS accepting the trade. That always depended on which club was putting forward the best offer. WCE were reportedly keen, they could have feasibly put together a strong enough offer to get the pick. So could any other club. In the end it was us. He would have known we were in the mix, and of course once the trade went through he would have been 99% sure. But before that he would've known there were still multiple clubs in the mix.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back