Analysis 2023 Draft Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

I have to ask. How did the racehorse buying turn out overall. Find a couple of cheap diamonds?
Regional/country Qld and NSW raced and trained my own for over 10 years. Peaks and troughs, but made an adequate to great living through that time (once went back to work for a few months) Had one or two clients from time to time but almost exclusively my own. Most expensive horse I raced cost $6000. Had multiple bargain buys under a grand who won multiple races for us. Preferred staying types and won a number of country cups and a midweek “cup” low level promo at Sunshine Coast beating Bruce McLachlan s “unbeatable” hot pot.

Was self taught didn’t grow up with horses at all. Not coming from a racing background and not knowing how to “play the game” was on tenuous terms with some in the industry having immediate success. Missus was QLD champion Non-metropolitan apprentice under my tutelage one year. Had a few city runners, but pretty much exclusively provincial and country. While we did very well, it was an unsustainable model. Wife and I were both badly injured in 2010. She couldn’t ride again and I couldn’t be hands on, so is now a memory. Walls have over a hundred finish photos and a decent trophy cabinet. (Have 3 Cox Plate trophies - Mudgee run a version on the day, very much a restricted race, but owner, trainer and jockey plates with one we actually bred from a mare I bought for $525 at I think, the first ever Magic Millions monthly tried horse sale and won eight races with) The other flag bearer was a $500 buy of a horse who had been though 7 of the areas best trainers. After a couple of months TLC won 3 of 4 Rockhampton races 1800, 1600 and 1400 all at 30/1 or better as they believed the first was a fluke. Bought first home with a tidy deposit after that.

Sorry for the derail peeps. Just answering a question. (Off to Little Aths with miss 7)

Nice list. Don’t fully agree with all, but pretty close.

Love your inclusion of Stevens. Not a need for us at the moment, but think he shapes as a steal. After basically a year off, clearly doing plenty of time in the gym as well as being good on the tooth, he cops heaps because of size and perceived mobility. A couple of years out was a “lock” for top 5.

He had some fantastic moments through the championships and has a very decent ceiling. With the possible exception of Reid and Sanders, he shapes as the best extractor in the group. His positioning and footy smarts are obvious. There is still a place for the non athlete footballers in today’s game, dependent on the players around him. Some parallels with our own Crippa for mine, with the advantage that he has a legitimate second position. (Perhaps Stocker like in defence)
George Stevens was interviewed on SEN late last week, what an absolute ripping kid!!

His brother Archie of course plays for our VFL side, so George has now become a Carlton supporter in the footsteps of his brother.

From what he was saying, there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest....apparently there's only been 2 clubs that have ventured down to meet his parents, which seems a bit of a worrying sign. I hope he gets selected though - if he falls through to our rookie selection or invite him as a train on, happy days.

r436_493_5697_4000_w6000_h4000_fmax.jpg

Fun hypothetical.

It's night 1 Collard falls to our pick (28).

WCE offer their next pick(29), the pick that's next, but also the first pick of night 2. But also a future 2nd swap.

Do you take it?

Offers are going to come in for sliders from here, one of the ruck prospects is probably here, which Brisbane (31) will want, and so will Geelong (30) and Richmond (33).

Is this sort of deal-making worth the risk- taking?

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fun hypothetical.

It's night 1 Collard falls to our pick (28).

WCE offer their next pick(29), the pick that's next, but also the first pick of night 2. But also a future 2nd swap.

Do you take it?

Offers are going to come in for sliders from here, one of the ruck prospects is probably here, which Brisbane (31) will want, and so will Geelong (30) and Richmond (33).

Is this sort of deal-making worth the risk- taking?

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

100% unless we rate Collard clearly ahead of the next guy on our list.

I'm coming around to Mitch Edwards if we go that way.

Would be interesting how we would manage all our rucks though. Would almost need to alternate them through the vfl (2 weeks on 1 week off) or have 1 stationed permanently forward. Otherwise our VFL side becomes severely unbalanced.

Would also mean we might lose 2 rucks at the end of next season. Mirk most likely, HUD if he doesn't come on, and even Pitto via trade if TDK keeps him out of the team are all possibilities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm coming around to Mitch Edwards if we go that way.

Would be interesting how we would manage all our rucks though. Would almost need to alternate them through the vfl (2 weeks on 1 week off) or have 1 stationed permanently forward. Otherwise our VFL side becomes severely unbalanced.

Would also mean we might lose 2 rucks at the end of next season. Mirk most likely, HUD if he doesn't come on, and even Pitto via trade if TDK keeps him out of the team are all possibilities.
Not a fan of ditching a tall after 2 years. Unless HUD turns completely uncompetitive, think he stays on for some more development.

If we keep flipping our young ones, we risk having to find more "serviceable" types to cover the development years. I'd rather we got to the position of having rucks that have an impact, in less time. We have a midfield ready to make the most of them.

George Stevens was interviewed on SEN late last week, what an absolute ripping kid!!

His brother Archie of course plays for our VFL side, so George has now become a Carlton supporter in the footsteps of his brother.

From what he was saying, there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest....apparently there's only been 2 clubs that have ventured down to meet his parents, which seems a bit of a worrying sign. I hope he gets selected though - if he falls through to our rookie selection or invite him as a train on, happy days.

r436_493_5697_4000_w6000_h4000_fmax.jpg
Cal‘s mock has a few falling compared to others.

I would not be adverse to taking Stevens. I know we’re looking at run and carry and Fwd craft, but I think it would be wise to invest in a Cripps succession plan also. That big powerful extracting mid type and this guy is ready to go. Simpson and Stevens would be an excellent haul IMHUO.

If we’re talking Edwards and going big, I’d rather a hybrid ruck/KPF like Archer Reid. 200+cm super mobile with excellent disposal for a big man.

Today is Draft Day round 0, given that tomorrow is the Draft Day - Round 1 :p

The upshot is I trust Austin & Co; and given the state of our list - best available please!

Anyway, I thought I should revisit my list and just get it down to a more manageable list.

Pick #22
Dream (unlikely available):
  • Tholstrup
  • Collard
  • CEwards

Should be available:
  • MEdwards - too many rucks to carry, but best available is best available! We can't let this talent go if he's still on the board
  • Zakostelsky - like his flexibility as KPP on both ends
  • Moir - accept this as first pick, if all the above players are gone

Pick #28
Dream - any of the above

Should be available:
  • Simpson - perfect fit for our midfield
  • Hastie - love his speed
  • Lual - could be anything, but I love his story and desire to be an AFL player

I prefer Simpson over Moir, but if we were to get both - it has to be done in that order; due to competing teams.

In any case - Bring on the Draft :D

I will get on board if we draft Moir but to be brutally honest, "the all duck no dinner" types invariably don't make it. The risk does not out weigh the reward if simpson, edward types are on the board. Would Moir even be top 50 on this years form alone? How much is injury, how much of the under performance is application?

Was a bit uninspired by our draft position but would be happier with a M. Edwards, Moir draft. Just get the best players, rucks are always good trade fodder if they all come on

Moir is very high risk. Not sure he is an Austin pick.
Hope we take him with our second pick anyway.
WCE will likely take Collard if they have a choice between the two.

When you think about it most the guys in our draft range are high risk.

It's always easy to forget when getting excited about these names but of the 10 or so guys linked to us 5 probably never do anything, 4 become solid role players and 1 becomes a gun.

Need to find the one most likely to become that gun or at least a role player, while avoiding the duds.

Most of the future stars of today are the whipping boys of tomorrow🤣🤣

I will get on board if we draft Moir but to be brutally honest, "the all duck no dinner" types invariably don't make it. The risk does not out weigh the reward if simpson, edward types are on the board. Would Moir even be top 50 on this years form alone? How much is injury, how much of the under performance is application?

That's the real intriguing/confusing thing about Moir....and Lemmey. They looked to have it all as underagers, but they couldn't compete in their top end years.

Why?....that is the question. It doesn't seem to be lack of intent/dedication...like Menzel, Cam McCarthy for instance. Both seem to be dedicated and aspirational and want it. But they just didn't cut the mustard at the pointy end of their junior careers. That has warning bells imo. No overly significant injury holding them back all year either.

I was all for the risk/reward of Lemmey at Pick 50 last year. Our great list shape made that a fantastic shot. But i'm not sure i would double up on Moir around Pick 30. Nothing against Moir more than Lemmey, but it is 30 as against 50, and it is a 2nd roll of the dice as opposed to the 1st carryable one.

The gambler in me says 2 rolls of the dice is a better chance of getting 1 Golden Egg...but yeah, pretty hopeful drafting.

Once again, our list shape is primed for some risk taking(all picks are risks, even the safer looking ones). So i won't be teeth gnashing like when Shaneo picked Boekhorst and DVR lol.

In fact i'll probably be proud of our guys for taking a risk instead of a vanilla, bog average Melbourne private schoolboy who looks safer to play 50 average games that someone else on the list can do.

Like all draft teams, they have options. For us...risky type???...another halfback???...another ruck???...another small forward???...another mid in a year when other than the Allies, the other were bog average???.

Go Curly and Big Brodes.

A Fairytale of Lygon St.

It's Draftmas Eve babe,
In the think-tank,
An old man says to me,
'Won't trade that number one!'
And then he made a mock
'Must pick class before need'
I turned my face away
And dreamed Harley Reid

Got on a lucky one
Slipped through to thirty-one