Prediction 2023 GWS Giants - Predicted best 22, breakout player(s), general player/team discussion & questions

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm hopeful that our forward line will be a bit more functional this season.

Last year we had Hogan and Greene who were both good, but those were really our only potent forwards. And because those were our only forward threats it was easy for opposition teams to defend them. Our other forwards included: Bobby Hill, who didn't score, didn't tackle and didn't apply pressure. Brander and Riccardi, neither of which were great (hopefully Riccardi improves a little this year). Depth players such as Sproule, Lloyd, Peatling and Brown. And players being played out of position like Haynes, Bruhn and Callaghan.

To put it kindly, it was an absolute bloody mess.

This year we'll have HH back forward helping out as a tall option. Daniels and Stone as smaller options. Bedford will come back for at least the second half of the season and Peatling has apparently shown a lot this pre-season so we could get some growth from him.

It's still not amazing by any stretch of the imagination, but it's leaps and bounds ahead of what we had last year.
Providing Toby, Hogan play as well and as much as last year. Unfortunately that is not guaranteed.
Our forward line will probably improve, it might be wishful thinking though.

Internally they have made semi regular comments in regards to his ability. Hopefully we can see it.
Really hope so, he hasn't really shown anything yet for us to expect he's going to get another contract, there isn't a whole lot blocking him from playing regular footy on the wing, he either has it or he doesn't and while I think at this stage he doesn't hopefully he can play some sort of a role for us this year.

Ryan Angwin has to be the weirdest draft call I've ever seen us make. It was completely out of left field, wasn't on anyone's radar and I don't think any of us had even heard of him.

The 3 players picked just AFTER him were Finlay Macrae, Max Holmes and Jake Bowey.

Right now it looks like a terrible pick, though I'd love to be proven wrong.

Last edited:
Ryan Angwin has together the weirdest draft call I've ever seen us make. It was completely out of left field, wasn't on anyone's radar and I don't think any of us had even heard of him.

The 3 players picked just AFTER him were Finlay Macrae, Max Holmes and Jake Bowey.

Yeah big time miss, was way off the radar and taken so far ahead of conensus looks even worse with Holmes already one of the best wings in the comp

Ryan Angwin has together the weirdest draft call I've ever seen us make. It was completely out of left field, wasn't on anyone's radar and I don't think any of us had even heard of him.

He wasnt on my radar, that is for sure.

I remember afterwards a few reports about a few clubs being keen and interested.

The day of or thereabouts he was named as a first round bolter, but that could have just someone knowing we were going to pick him up.

we traded our remaining picks (excluding those in the 50's) which turned into Callaghan, so we had no interest in anyone else at that point.

Hey all. After some advice for deep fantasy drafts please.

How likely are these guys to be best 22?

Idun - clear yes
Wehr - seems likely to be starting winger; if he plays well he'll likely hold the spot
Daniels - when he's fit
Aleer - seems likely to start the year, potential competition from Jack Buckley
Lloyd - given the early injuries, may start the year in the 22 but would be under pressure to remain B22 IMHO
XOH - no (candidate for sub role)

Idun - clear yes
Wehr - seems likely to be starting winger; if he plays well he'll likely hold the spot
Daniels - when he's fit
Aleer - seems likely to start the year, potential competition from Jack Buckley
Lloyd - given the early injuries, may start the year in the 22 but would be under pressure to remain B22 IMHO
XOH - no (candidate for sub role)
Agree with all of this

I think we will surprise quite a lot of the pundits. At least Fox has us finishing 10-13th, which is better than the betting market that currently had us finishing 16th before the Gold Coast game. I like it that our captain, Toby “still has September on his mind this year”, and if we stay injury free, think we have a good chance of making the finals

IMG_20230306_135259.jpg
Callaghan went from 18-1 to 8-1 in one preseason game for Rising Star.
Campaign will have to begin on socials so people pay attention to him compared to Ashcroft but he's a huge chance if he can stay on the ground.
Super exciting seeing him run off the ball Saturday. We was outpacing opponents easily.
Ash also looked really purposeful and aggressive compared to previous years. I think role definition is huge for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know it’s subjective, and I am a bit biased(!), but I would have rated our midfield in at least the top third of the league. They have rated our midfield 12th, primarily based on the loss of Hopper, Toranto and Bruhn. Also whilst the article states Ash, Whitfield Ward and even Greene could play in the midfield, Kingsley seems to be playing them in other positions.

I know it’s subjective, and I am a bit biased(!), but I would have rated our midfield in at least the top third of the league. They have rated our midfield 12th, primarily based on the loss of Hopper, Toranto and Bruhn. Also whilst the article states Ash, Whitfield Ward and even Greene could play in the midfield, Kingsley seems to be playing them in other positions.
Yeah, too many preconceived nations and biases from media. Anyway, doesn't matter where they're rated, let's see how they perform.

The biggest issue for us - as always! - is whether we can keep the same team on the park for most of the season.

Yeah, too many preconceived nations and biases from media. Anyway, doesn't matter where they're rated, let's see how they perform.

The biggest issue for us - as always! - is whether we can keep the same team on the park for most of the season.
Don't think Coniglio's season last year was really appreaciated by anyone outside GWS fans, he was about as good as he's ever been last year and no reason to think thats not going to continue this year. Green looks ready to explode and Kelly is typically fantastic, Perryman is a very quality 4th midfielder able to do a bit of everything as a mid. Having 2 mids that are capable of being 15+ goals a season is quite unique and I'm not sure there's another team that can claim to have that, I think there's a decent chance we're leaving the 2023 season as Green being one of the best contested inside mids in the competition.

The midfield on paper looks good I agree

But their output has not been strong enough to warrant being in the conversation as one of the top midfield groups in the league. In what area were they elite? Tackles don’t count because we never had the ball last year so of course they will tackle more. This is exacerbated by the congested slow ball we had.

If we go on results, there is plenty of work to be done

The midfield on paper looks good I agree

But their output has not been strong enough to warrant being in the conversation as one of the top midfield groups in the league. In what area were they elite? Tackles don’t count because we never had the ball last year so of course they will tackle more. This is exacerbated by the congested slow ball we had.

If we go on results, there is plenty of work to be done
I think stronger than collingwoods, gold coast. Proof will be in the display this year though. It will perform anywhere from 3rd to about 13th this year ( I can't see it outperforming Brisbane's with Dunkley added in or Melbourne's ).

Agree.
Kelly, Cognilo, Green are all top tier .

Don't think Coniglio's season last year was really appreaciated by anyone outside GWS fans, he was about as good as he's ever been last year and no reason to think thats not going to continue this year. Green looks ready to explode and Kelly is typically fantastic, Perryman is a very quality 4th midfielder able to do a bit of everything as a mid. Having 2 mids that are capable of being 15+ goals a season is quite unique and I'm not sure there's another team that can claim to have that, I think there's a decent chance we're leaving the 2023 season as Green being one of the best contested inside mids in the competition.
I disagree - SuperCoach players absolutely appreciated Cogs last year. ;)
I think stronger than collingwoods, gold coast. Proof will be in the display this year though. It will perform anywhere from 3rd to about 13th this year ( I can't see it outperforming Brisbane's with Dunkley added in or Melbourne's ).
Gold Coast will be an interesting case, on a sidenote. One player who was a legit Brownlow option (* Cripps) and two young players who could stall or absolutely become guns this year. They could jump past us easily, or stall out completely. Definitely agree about Collingwood though.

Sorry to intrude and clog the thread with supper coach chat, but any clues with Kingy will be running with Flynn & Pruess or just a solo ruck ?

Cheers in advance

Sorry to intrude and clog the thread with supper coach chat, but any clues with Kingy will be running with Flynn & Pruess or just a solo ruck ?

Cheers in advance
Hard to say with 100% certainty, but it definitely looks like we're going to go with Preuss as solo ruck at this stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back