List Mgmt. 2023 List Management and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a quick look through footywire at out of contract South Aussies (or SA connection) for 2023 and 2024 targets. Given Olsen described potential recruits as “players with 3/4 years experience” and probably SA connection. Here’s the list to pick from/wish from

Darcy Fort
Durdin
Arlo Draper
John Noble (maybe too experienced)
Zerk Thatcher
Redman
Sturt
Close
Sam Day (unlikely)
HH
Chandler
Pickett
Verrall
Highmore
stephens
McLean
Sweet
Luke Edwards

Jakob Ryan
Cox
Holland
Sparrow
Powell
Keeler?
Hayes (Jack)
Phillipou
Row bottom
Florent
Barnett

Now we have been pretty spoilt the last 2 years with Dawson and Rankine. So the only ones of the above I would hope for are

HH
Zerk Thatcher
Redman
Pickett

Then would consider Stephens, McLean and Verrall

2024 is a nicer group
Hollands
Ryan
Phillipou
Cox
Rowbottom
Florent
Barnett

Would all be of interest.

Any that I have missed or want to add?

I’d like to think a couple of the above will join us over the next two off seasons

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:

Isnt Rach from shepparton?..

Not much pull towards being in melbourne for the lad..

Think we’ll just need to pay him a big salary and he’ll stay..

Plus.. SA chicks are far better looking than melbourne ones.. and less stuck up..

I’ve heard he’s met a far few SA chicks already.. but im sure he wont run out of meeting new ones for a while!
Much better than Shepparton ones as well

GWS still have TPP issues ......a handful of players on HUGE Contracts

You're right, PORT will be all over Himmelberg .....unknown PORT Coach could play to our advantage

People, don't misunderstand my position .....Redman is a fine player ....but so are Worrell, Michalanney, and Milera
We’ve probably got enough coin spare we can get both HH and Redman..

2. LACK OF RESPECT

Opposition teams need to catch on to Bomber Mason Redman booting long goals from easy handball receives.

Redman kicked an easy one in the Round 1 win over Hawthorn from outside 50m, with former Swans and Giants’ assistant coach Steve Johnson calling him one of the best long-range goal kickers in the competition.

No wonder GWS coach Adam Kingsley went spare at his troops at the final change after Redman ran on to an easy handball to land another running goal from 50m with no GWS player near him.

Surely, opposition clubs are on to Redman by now.

Redman is out of contract and a free agent at season’s end and the South Australian is clearly looking at a bumper pay rise.

The Bombers have plenty of salary cap room to offer him a deal he won’t knock back.

One of the new emerging leaders at Essendon likes what he has seen from new coach Brad Scott.

2. LACK OF RESPECT

Opposition teams need to catch on to Bomber Mason Redman booting long goals from easy handball receives.

Redman kicked an easy one in the Round 1 win over Hawthorn from outside 50m, with former Swans and Giants’ assistant coach Steve Johnson calling him one of the best long-range goal kickers in the competition.

No wonder GWS coach Adam Kingsley went spare at his troops at the final change after Redman ran on to an easy handball to land another running goal from 50m with no GWS player near him.

Surely, opposition clubs are on to Redman by now.

Redman is out of contract and a free agent at season’s end and the South Australian is clearly looking at a bumper pay rise.

The Bombers have plenty of salary cap room to offer him a deal he won’t knock back.

One of the new emerging leaders at Essendon likes what he has seen from new coach Brad Scott.
Not in the leadership group though is he?

Strachan clearly isn't going to pass ROB.
Is it worth pursuing Jordon Sweet on the cheap? SA Boy, just turned 25, 205cm with nice footskills.
Didn't we just re-signs Stachan for several years?

What concerns me is he is the same age as ROB.

We need a younger developing ruckman.

Given the shallow drafting in the past 2-3 covid years, have there been any highly touted ruckmen who have gone undrafted, or slid to rookie draft?
Seem to remember Darcy Cameron being a rookie pick way back despite being one of the better u18 rucks. Who else could we poach from another teams seconds or state leagues?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given the shallow drafting in the past 2-3 covid years, have there been any highly touted ruckmen who have gone undrafted, or slid to rookie draft?
Seem to remember Darcy Cameron being a rookie pick way back despite being one of the better u18 rucks. Who else could we poach from another teams seconds or state leagues?
Darcy Cameron was pick number 48 in the 2016 national draft.

Ruck prospects out of contract this year include Tom De Koning, Shannon Neale, Brynn Teakle, Sam Hayes and Jordon Sweet. Ruck prospects out of contract next year include Ned Moyle, Samson Ryan and Tim English, and in 2025 you have Toby Conway and Sam Darcy. De Koning, English and Darcy might be too difficult to get for the Crows, but the other rucks should be gettable. Personally I like the looks of Neale, Teakle, Moyle and Conway who are developing nicely and possess the capacity to rest forward and kick goals along with being athletic around the ground.

Neale and Conway are both at Geelong competing for spots against Stanley and Blicavs. Teakle and Hayes are competing against Lycett at Port. Sweet and Darcy are developing and competing against English at the Bulldogs. Moyle is behind Witts and a developing Mac Andrew up at the Gold Coast; whilst Ryan is behind Nankervis at Richmond.

According to Footywire both O'Brien and Strachan come out of contract in 2025 with both players aged 30, so the need for a developing ruck that is ready to breakout is becoming critical, and a key trade target preferably this year or definitely next year at the latest.

Ruck prospects out of contract this year include Tom De Koning, Shannon Neale, Brynn Teakle, Sam Hayes and Jordon Sweet. Ruck prospects out of contract next year include Ned Moyle, Samson Ryan and Tim English, and in 2025 you have Toby Conway and Sam Darcy. De Koning, English and Darcy might be too difficult to get for the Crows, but the other rucks should be gettable. Personally I like the looks of Neale, Teakle, Moyle and Conway who are developing nicely and possess the capacity to rest forward and kick goals along with being athletic around the ground.

Neale and Conway are both at Geelong competing for spots against Stanley and Blicavs. Teakle and Hayes are competing against Lycett at Port. Sweet and Darcy are developing and competing against English at the Bulldogs. Moyle is behind Witts and a developing Mac Andrew up at the Gold Coast; whilst Ryan is behind Nankervis at Richmond.

According to Footywire both O'Brien and Strachan come out of contract in 2025 with both players aged 30, so the need for a developing ruck that is ready to breakout is becoming critical, and a key trade target preferably this year or definitely next year at the latest.
Blicavs and Stanley will both be 33 next year as will Jonathon Ceglar so I doubt Geelong will be too keen to let either Neale or Conway go, especially local boy Conway who was always a long term project player with his physical development miles off it when drafted.

On Cameron, then I think he went undrafted as an 18 year old, possibly for a other couple of years.

Blicavs and Stanley will both be 33 next year as will Jonathon Ceglar so I doubt Geelong will be too keen to let either Neale or Conway go, especially local boy Conway who was always a long term project player with his physical development miles off it when drafted.
I agree that Geelong would want to keep both Conway and Neale, but I also dare say one of the two would be gettable as they will both want to be the first choice ruck playing AFL. All I was showing in my post is that there are several developing rucks coming out of contract who have a lot of potential and upside that the Crows could leverage. Both Neale and Conway were on my radar in their respective draft years which is why I mentioned them in conjunction with several other rucks. I have had a strong interest in U18's and the AFL draft for nearly 15 years, I grew up playing footy in the 80's and have been watching footy across 6 decades. Big Footy is a diverse community of people with different experiences and thought processes, but are united by a passion for footy, and supporting the various clubs. I am autistic which means I probably see and interpret the world differently to most people, and I do more reading of posts than writing of posts. I have never denigrated, belittled or bullied any of the Big Footy community, and have always tried to be respectful of different thought processes and opinions.

The Crows have Thilthorpe up forward who can pinch-hit in the ruck; imagine having a key back capable of taking on the likes of the King brothers and Sam Darcy and also able to pinch-hit in the ruck. The Crows also have their centre-bounce ruck who will be a lot fresher across individual games and the season as a whole due to not needing to make 80-90% of ruck contests which should lead to more hit-outs to advantage. You mix that in with other elite key position players, some elite big bodied midfielders, some elite mid-def and mid-fwd hybrids to go with the likes of Rankine, Rachele and Dawson and the Crows might finally be on their way to a third premiership sometime in the next 5-10 years.

Nick Bryan at Essendon another one, out of contract at the end of this year, highly rated at the Dons and I'm sure we wouldn't be the only club interested. A ruckman as athletic as Bryan would be a really good pairing with Thilthorpe.

Strachan clearly isn't going to pass ROB.
Is it worth pursuing Jordon Sweet on the cheap? SA Boy, just turned 25, 205cm with nice footskills.
Grass is always greener…

Not opposed to it as a back up ruck situation for after Strachan but wouldn’t give up anything more than a stale packet of chips.

Nick Bryan at Essendon another one, out of contract at the end of this year, highly rated at the Dons and I'm sure we wouldn't be the only club interested. A ruckman as athletic as Bryan would be a really good pairing with Thilthorpe.

Not bad up forward either as a junior...

Moir is not the replacement we need for Tex. I think caddy, Riley whetherall or Logan morris could be good replacements. IMO both will still be on the board at our pick and they are around the same height as Tex. My choice would be Morris. A lot tougher and more athletic.

Unfortunately Moir is not a key fwd. I’d like to see him play some league footy before the draft as well.

Our Tex replacement is already on our list. We spent pick 2 on him a couple of years back.

Last edited:
Butters and Duursma have come back to pack massively

Butters is too small to be a genuine full time mid , not strong enough thru hips at this stage

Still a good little player but maybe not the ceiling of others

I reckon you sack Hinkley, or get him out of Port, and he'll rebound quickly back to what he was in two years ago.

Just looks rather stale and worm out at Port at the moment.

Last edited:
Do you guys still want Harry Himmelberg?
Would it to be a key back?
Your forwards are bettrr than HH as a forward I think. Or could he replace Tex walker in 2025

Do you guys still want Harry Himmelberg?
Would it to be a key back?
Your forwards are bettrr than HH as a forward I think. Or could he replace Tex walker in 2025

Yup. We could do with a vet down there and HH is pretty solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back