List Mgmt. 2023 List Management and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Better not be drafting a KPD but I wouldn't be averse to buying one with a pick. Murray is great, Butts looks vulnerable. It's our area of opportunity. People say midfield but we have plenty of upcoming options there seems to be no clear reason to go and grab another midfielder unless we can grab a taller one. Adding another to the mosquito fleet doesn't do much imo and I get the feeling the club should be turning the corner to the creeping toward the window stage where we need to craft a team in the next few years, not the longer term.
We got Murray and Butts cheap.

Should do the same.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rankine's team would have needed to be given clear guarantees that we were going to get the deal done early and with certainty. I'm sure they would have wanted to know how we thought we could achieve that.

If we weren't willing to offer those assurances, he had Essendon or staying in Gold Coast as clear options.

This is exactly what managers do, and there's zero chance they would have exposed their client to any risk.

No. A team can't guarantee a deal will get done easily and early. They can't control the other sides actions. Any assurances like that are worthless.

GC wanted the deal to get done early so they could proceed with the salary dump, we didn't even make them sweat.

We had been into Rankine since forever, he wouldn't have gone to Don's easily. Just pretending he was interested to pump up his value.

I don't think this is just a Crouch issue - rather a Nicks reluctance to go away from a settled lineup.

Players like Worrell, Nankervis, Keane & Crouch were all brought in due to necessity and forced their way in.

There is a hell of a lot he can do. If he plays like he did against the Power for the next month - then we would be doing everything we can to secure his services for another contract.

No, that's a Crouch issue. Not a Nicks one. After all, he's been the one without a job in a contract year and looking likely to have his pro career ended. He's doing all he can to rectify it which is take your chances when they come.

Oh no, I agree. It's genuinely a bad thing that the mid to bottom tier of your lineup has a clean bill of health for a long time. After all, injuries are the main instigator of change/experimentation. Especially when your system is holding up to expectations, which ours has this year - even with the whiff of a wasted campaign.

I'll go so far as to say Crouch could go on to win a Norm Smith this year and we'll still push him to take FA.

The argument against is that Sloane was preferred in terms of winning games this year, Crouch came in to replace Laird and then stayed by pushing in front of Sloane. If it's a choice between the 2, then it's exceedingly obvious which way they should go. Problem is that we're starting to limit our senior list spots pretty severely. Surely we can't sign both given our draft picks and bottom of the 8 quality best 23. And if it's 1, it's madness for both contending and rebuild phase to choose Sloane over Crouch. Crouch at least has 2-3 years of genuine depth ahead of him.

The only reason you'd choose Sloane over Crouch is a financial one, and that's providing we're willing to offer a 1xbaseline contract for someone to hold down the SANFL side. After all, you get rid of that contract earlier and having money locked up in depth is a bad thing. The moment you think of using him in the ones though, it's a bad decision and I don't think we're quite ready to accept Sloane is done.

Mind you, unless someone contracted had their head turned, I really can't imagine us resigning either. Especially as Murray and Strachan need to be upgraded to the senior list to the best of my knowledge, and we will probably keep Borlase now.

The more I look at it, I think all four of Doedee, McAdam, Sloane and Crouch go.

Last edited:
Feels like any long-term development plans we had are gone and it's back to "Just make the 8 and anything can happen" standard operating procedure again.

Long term plans are purely a list management exercise, however you are right, the rebuild is done. It's the flow on effect of Dawson becoming an elite, game breaking mid. That throws whatever "long term" planning out of the window.

We're about one year off needing to be all in on a flag, because you can't waste that talent. The only reason we're not all in now is Thilthorpe and Rachele need a little bit more time to cook.

Last edited:
this one

Geelong could target Port Adelaide’s future first-round draft pick if key defender Esava Ratugolea requests a trade to the Power as expected at season’s end.
A key domino in this year’s exchange period fell on Thursday, when GWS Giants re-signed free agent swingman Harry Himmelberg on a six-year deal worth about $5 million.

Himmelberg’s signature will have consequences around the league as Essendon zero in on North Melbourne free agent Ben McKay and Sydney Swans circle West Coast gun defender Tom Barrass.

The Eagles are expected to target Sydney Swans’ first-round pick and could also eye off a second selection in the swap for Barrass, who is one of the best key defenders in the game.

But there is considerable intrigue over the scope of a Ratugolea deal after Port Adelaide traded out first, second and third-round picks last year to nab Jason Horne-Francis from North Melbourne and Eagles’ live wire Willie Rioli.

While Port still has a second-round pick tied to Collingwood, which will be pushed out into the 40s by academy selections, the Power’s future first-rounder looms as an obvious target for the Cats.
Yep that's the lad. I wonder if we could snipe him from Port or at the very least force them to pay up with their future 1st.

No. A team can't guarantee a deal will get done easily and early. They can't control the other sides actions. Any assurances like that are worthless.

GC wanted the deal to get done early so they could proceed with the salary dump, we didn't even make them sweat.

We had been into Rankine since forever, he wouldn't have gone to Don's easily. Just pretending he was interested to pump up his value.
disagree with a number of these points. Rankine said he wanted Suns looked after. We came to the party early to mitigate the risk of possibly putting at risk arguably the most skillful player in the game. And Bombers were so NOT pretending. Pick 5 for Rankine will go down as one of our greatest ever trades. There was talk he could go number one in the 2018 superdraft

disagree with a number of these points. Rankine said he wanted Suns looked after. We came to the party early to mitigate the risk of possibly putting at risk arguably the most skillful player in the game. And Bombers were so NOT pretending. Pick 5 for Rankine will go down as one of our greatest ever trades. There was talk he could go number one in the 2018 superdraft
The concern was whether Rankine could continue on his 2nd half form at GCS and he has exceeded this with career high 23 disposals (had 20+ in 5 other games) and career high 5 goals (had 4 in another game and 3 in 3 other games). Had he shown this form for the entire year and a bit then he would have easily been worth pick 5.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thing we need to sign Crouch up or 2 years myself. That would give us Laird and crouch for 2 more years while developing the next midfield talent. Either we get one this draft or next year. I believe we still have a few holes in our side that need to be filled before we make too 4. Crouch is happy by all reports to stay in Adelaide if a fair offer comes in. I would not offer Sloane a deal as we have young players that are ready to step up. I just hope that if that happens that we can play Dawson on a wing and make sure at least one young player is always the third centre square midfielder
It’s a win win for all

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The concern was whether Rankine could continue on his 2nd half form at GCS and he has exceeded this with career high 23 disposals (had 20+ in 5 other games) and career high 5 goals (had 4 in another game and 3 in 3 other games). Had he shown this form for the entire year and a bit then he would have easily been worth pick 5.
He was, and is, easily worth pick 5. This guy is going to win us big finals over coming years. Would you have given up pick 5 for D Jarman or Mc Leod. Rankine is going to reach these levels IMO

For that to happen, we need to win a flag and Rankine to be a key part of it.

The second part looks safe, seeing we're setting him to form a trio with Thilthorpe and Fog to anchor our forward line. It's a long way to go for the first one.

That said, right now, paying a top 10 pick looks to be good buisness on our end.

For that too happen, we need to win a flag and Rankine to be a key part of it.

The second part looks safe, seeing we're setting him to form a trio with Thilthorpe and Fog to anchor our forward line. It's a long way to go for the first one.
I sort of get what you are trying to say but if he is AA for the next 6 years and the best small forward/mid in the game (my expectation) is not winning a flag his fault if the squad isn’t up to it?

edit ps I have no doubt we are a finals team for the majority of the remainder of this decade, often making prelim weekend

I sort of get what you are trying to say but if he is AA for the next 6 years and the best small forward/mid in the game (my expectation) is not winning a flag his fault if the squad isn’t up to it?

edit ps I have no doubt we are a finals team for the majority of the remainder of this decade, often making prelim weekend

That's still not in the question for our best ever trades. Considering McLeod and Jarman are on that list, a trade needs that legitimacy to hold up in the best ever conversation. After all, Adelaide would have a 30+ year drought without those two.

That's still not in the question for our best ever trades. Considering McLeod and Jarman are on that list, a trade needs that legitimacy to hold up in the best ever conversation. After all, Adelaide would have a 30+ year drought without those two.
Above I did say “one of our best ever trades” but yes he needs to prove it on the big stage, I agree. And have previously said it will go down as the best quality in after Jars and Macca. Hopefully equal long term for all our sakes.

At the moment yes, he’d need to be moved onto the main list..

But other clubs (two just last year) have asked the AFL to be allowed to keep their Cat B’s as Cat B’s for a fourth year and the AFL has allowed it..

Nothing stopping Adelaide asking the AFL for this to occur for Borlase and Newchurch..
I was thinking about this yesterday after you mentioned it earlier.

Do you think Borlase, who is debuting this week would be considered an option to remain on the Cat B list? And may even play for the remaining games?

Certainly no harm in asking I guess

You can take borlase and newchurch off that list.. they dont open up any spare spots..

And mcasey’s and seedsmans spots are already filled right?
Someone pointed out a few weeks back that the players who replaced McAsey and Seedsman went on the rookie list.

Then mentioned that Seedsman had already been moved onto the rookie list, however McAsey's delisting will free up 1 spot on the main list

Not sure of true?

Just saying that McAsey's delisting will free up a spot on the main list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back