List Mgmt. 2023 List Management thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mod notice after Mr Bob did a lot of annoying work in moving days of posts out of here. As we are heading into offseason, this thread is for 2023 list management only. Getting upset on previous trades can be taken to the vent thread. Lets keep this thread on track in the part of the year it's actually relevant

Last edited:
I was at the game and there was a short option initially almost every single one of those long bombs. He takes sooooooo ****ing long I could almost leave my seat go get a beer and he’d still have the ball in his hands. He’s a great mark, otherwise a truly pathetic footballer.

We’ve got to stop making excuses for him and realise it’s a massive problem he needs to fix. If he can’t fix he can **** off quite frankly. I’m sick of him. Most overrated Freo player ever and it’s not even a contest.
He saves about 30 points a game from ball winning and intercepts.
It’s up to the coaches to devise a plan that limits his need to be the main distributor.
What are you going to do - replace him with a kid from peel? We have no one else.

I feel like that's the players up the ground. Provide a lead or at least bring the ball to ground. Id say he was best on today
I disagree. I had a very good view of the whole ground today. And there were countless times where he took too long at the kick in and missed several open options. Didn't pay as much attention after he intercepted, but I imagine it was as much him as it was the rest of the team.

It’s up to the coaches to devise a plan that limits his need to be the main distributor.
What are you going to do - replace him with a kid from peel? We have no one else.
Move the ball straight away. We take ages to kick out.

Whatever he saves isn't relevant because it's almost a guarantee that it the team will go straight back inside 50. Ryan clearly has a lot of strengths in his game. His intercepting is elite. But his ball use isn't. Coaches need to better use our players so that Ryan can intercept and hand it off to one of our good distributors. I don't understand why someone like Young can't take our kick ins instead.

He easily is. Pearce has been meh all season. Id genuinely love to know how many goals he has conceded. Young I feel was also better last year
Even I can conceded that he's probably been our best (most consistent at least) defender all year. But that's really not a good thing and just speaks to how poor our defence has been. Cox was in AA form last year, Young should have been pushing for it this year based on the way he finished last season, Pearce finished equal 3rd in our b&f. Clark was providing so much run off half back.

Cox, Young, and Clark especially should have been making steps forward this year, yet they've all regressed. Walker is still only 20, players at that point in their career have up and down seasons.

I disagree. I had a very good view of the whole ground today. And there were countless times where he took too long at the kick in and missed several open options. Didn't pay as much attention after he intercepted, but I imagine it was as much him as it was the rest of the team.
How many of these options though were like a 20m sideways kick. Feel like no matter who the player is that is the Fremantle way. Go sideways once or twice then bomb it down the line sighhh.

People who think this list is ripe to be a flag contender have rocks in their heads quite frankly.
I’m more and more agreeing with go_the_dockers every week that passes. Worse still - we have signed up so many fringe players that will never become established AFL level players to deals beyond 2023, thus severely limiting our options this off-season. This silly idea that they are “good blokes” that deserve a spot on a list for another year too long.
We should be turning over 8 or 9 players in October but instead we have to keep some absolute dross around for another 12 months because they were contracted too long.
At no serious club would players such as Hughes, Banfield, Brodie, Switkowski, Treacy, Corbett be given 2 or in some cases 3 year deals.
The opportunity cost is so ******* detrimental. As you improve and develop you should be moving past these kind of players.
Someone wrote on this board about 3 years ago - “you will know Fremantle are a serious finals team when the likes of Acres, Hughes and Schultz are no longer getting a game because they are not good enough to be selected”
How right that poster was in hindsight.

Some people are talking about us having just 2 or 3 live picks in the upcoming ND!!!!
As if we were Collingwood or port with guns sitting in our stacked list that are down at peel and can’t get a game because we are winning everything. Lol.

We could conceivably finish 15th and take 2 live picks in the ND plus add a rookie elevation (Treacy).
You literally could not make this s**t up.
Other clubs will be openly laughing at our delusion.

The biggest issue I see with Ryan's use is that he is prone to kicking it too corridor side of the clump of players up the field, meaning that a spillage tends to fall to the extra opposition numbers right in the middle of the ground and we get hurt.

But if it works, and the talls take the marks which they didn't today, it works really well for us.

How many of these options though were like a 20m sideways kick. Feel like no matter who the player is that is the Fremantle way. Go sideways once or twice then bomb it down the line sighhh.
they were short kicks, but even 20m kicks get you 20m closer to goal when you bomb it.

Even I can conceded that he's probably been our best (most consistent at least) defender all year. But that's really not a good thing and just speaks to how poor our defence has been. Cox was in AA form last year, Young should have been pushing for it this year based on the way he finished last season, Pearce finished equal 3rd in our b&f. Clark was providing so much run off half back.

Cox, Young, and Clark especially should have been making steps forward this year, yet they've all regressed. Walker is still only 20, players at that point in their career have up and down seasons.
Haven't they all regressed (at least in part) because we've spent so much time playing from deep in D50?

Last year we take territory, we get set up the field, and we get time to possess the ball and adjust. This year we're constantly trying to score from back third.

I've been a defender of our front third given our ball movement, clearance work, etc, but I thought today we just had to get a contest occasionally ahead of ball. I'm not sure the back six could've done much more offensively out there.

they were short kicks, but even 20m kicks get you 20m closer to goal when you bomb it.

Let’s be honest though. This is not a today problem. It’s a problem that has existed since he was drafted and he hasn’t improved in that way one bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People who think this list is ripe to be a flag contender have rocks in their heads quite frankly.
I’m more and more agreeing with go_the_dockers every week that passes. Worse still - we have signed up so many fringe players that will never become established AFL level players to deals beyond 2023, thus severely limiting our options this off-season. This silly idea that they are “good blokes” that deserve a spot on a list for another year too long.
We should be turning over 8 or 9 players in October but instead we have to keep some absolute dross around for another 12 months because they were contracted too long.
At no serious club would players such as Hughes, Banfield, Brodie, Switkowski, Treacy, Corbett be given 2 or in some cases 3 year deals.
The opportunity cost is so ******* detrimental. As you improve and develop you should be moving past these kind of players.
Someone wrote on this board about 3 years ago - “you will know Fremantle are a serious finals team when the likes of Acres, Hughes and Schultz are no longer getting a game because they are not good enough to be selected”

Some people are talking about us having just 2 or 3 live picks in the upcoming ND!!!!
As if we were Collingwood or port with guns sitting in our stacked list that are down at peel and can’t get a game because we are winning everything. Lol.

We could conceivably finish 15th and take 2 live picks in the ND plus add a rookie elevation (Treacy).
Hughes, Banfield and Schultz have contracts to end of 2024.

There are growing rumours Schultz may want a trade back to Melbourne.

Based on what I’ve seen at Peel, wouldn’t be surprised at all if Corbett was delisted and selected as one of the rookies. Wagner the same.

Then Benning, Hamling, Wilson, Colyer add to those being delisted. That is 6 off the primary list. With potential trades for Henry/Schultz (I’d personally prefer to keep both). I’d be expecting at a minimum 3-4 selections in ND (not incl. rookie promotions) and 1-2 new additions via trade.

After today’s debacle, the last quarter of the WB and the two games post the bye the club will know some significant changes are needed.

We also need Amiss, Johnson and Erasmus to put on significant size in the off season.

Today’s game was quite depressing to be honest.

Hughes, Banfield and Schultz have contracts to end of 2024.

There are growing rumours Schultz may want a trade back to Melbourne.

Based on what I’ve seen at Peel, wouldn’t be surprised at all if Corbett was delisted and selected as one of the rookies. Wagner the same.

Then Benning, Hamling, Wilson, Colyer add to those being delisted. That is 6 off the primary list. With potential trades for Henry/Schultz (I’d personally prefer to keep both). I’d be expecting at a minimum 3-4 selections in ND (not incl. rookie promotions) and 1-2 new additions via trade.

After today’s debacle, the last quarter of the WB and the two games post the bye the club will know some significant changes are needed.

We also need Amiss, Johnson and Erasmus to put on significant size in the off season.

Today’s game was quite depressing to be honest.
Walls is going to have to burn the midnight oil.
All the players need size, and we need to find some heart.

I haven't seen Hamling play recently, but looks like his body has come good and only 30. Assuming he is somewhere near the form he had 3 years ago, I'd be comfortable with him covering an injured Pearce.
I'd be keeping him on the list one more year.

Make him full back and drop Pearce. I am obviously a coaching prodigy. Cheers

Pearce has conceded the most goals of any key defender in the afl.
Ffs if they don't want to drop their captain just use his injury as an excuse.

But port weren't scared to drop their captain in favour of better players, and look where they are now.

I'm not convinced Hamling would do a better job but at this point it wouldn't hurt to try.

For me there are two things the club needs to address.

1. How we give out contracts.
Anyone outside top 20 players only get 2 year deals max.
Anyone outside top 10 players should only be get 3 year deals max.

1a
Understand trends in AFL. The game is getting faster, and we give Brodie 3 years and bring Omeara for 4 years. We always appear 2 years behind.

2. Who to recruit and when.
Our approach at the moment is of a person wants to come to us we say yes.
We need to be 10 times more selective, especially during a rebuild.

For me the criteria is
Are they an A grader
Will they play for the club the next 10 years
Are they a good role model
Do they balance out our current list.

And when you do bring players in, be pricks. Be nice and you finish last.

Once you reach finals with minimal trading, have 4 or 5 A graders then you look to fill gaps.

At the moment I think we have stuffed the rebuild, and need to commit to a new one. I am not sure I have the patience to see it out.

I am disappointed to be right. But I feel the mistakes we made in the last 8 years, will hurt our next 10 years.

Last edited:
I still think we are more Melbourne 2019 instead of Carlton (insert any year)

The list is pretty much built, just try add some elite talent where we can but we have to get the team fit and playing well
need to bring in a couple of new assistant coaches. I’m a massive fan of Don Pyke or some that can help freo‘s ball movement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back