List Mgmt. 2023 List Management thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mod notice after Mr Bob did a lot of annoying work in moving days of posts out of here. As we are heading into offseason, this thread is for 2023 list management only. Getting upset on previous trades can be taken to the vent thread. Lets keep this thread on track in the part of the year it's actually relevant

Last edited:
We are bottom 4.
The ladder does not lie after 18 games and there is no doubt we are one of the worst sides in the AFL at the moment.
We will see if we can improve a bit over the last 6 weeks.
If hawthorn had won today we would actually be looking over our shoulder at the bottom 3 which is quite shocking

I’m really curious if we sack Longmuir and get a decent coach what actually happens tbh.

Whilst it’s true we’re a bit young, especially the midfield and KPFs, and our list needs to improve I ask people the following:
  • Is our list one of the four worst lists in the competition on paper?
  • Is our midfield the worst in the league on paper?
Statistically the answers to both those questions is yes but on paper imo the answer should clearly be no.

Also how in the **** can our coaches not fix the first quarter problem or our players just take the ****ing game on rather than be scared to make a mistake.

We made finals last year and really we’ve lost Mundy, Lobb and Acres but gained JOM and Jackson. The rest of the players we lost we forced out because they weren’t best 22 in their preferred positions. About half our best 22 have seemingly lost their ability and confidence overnight - that’s either a playing with injury issue, a coaching issue or both.

There’s nothing wrong with this list that 2-3 years of good recruiting and development can’t fix. I do not however have the confidence that our club can make the right decisions off field to make it happen. Our recruiting needs to target certain areas and I have no confidence our recruiters won’t just pick a player we don’t need and call them ‘best available’.

I have also lost complete confidence in the coaching team to develop a game plan that can make the most of our list. A faster game plan suits both the strengths and weaknesses of our list but we keep playing this slow bullsh**.

I’m sure we can get creative to bring in some other picks. No need to trade out 3 for 7/8.

If we were to do this all again we’d get Hamling for free.

We’d have the pick we traded for Hamling and could trade a future second for the Darcy pick (which is what we did anyway).

The number of players on our list with speed, skills and football ability is tiny.

I don't blame longmuir. I don't think we the cattle to transition the ball quickly
Agree .. it would look like the Brisbane game.. and the more pressure applied the more error ridden

Midfield isn't up to it, yet there they were again for almost the full game. Defence is dumb and too slow and can't win their share of contests.
Stanley looked good for the 3 minutes he was on. Sturt showing a bit. Henry good. Getting better every week. May be the only three players not at the club next year. Nice game by Freddie's and Shoita. Midfield looked more dangerous when Switta was in there.

Talent is definitely part of the issue.
2022 Acres, Brodie and Mundy are far superior to 2023 Johnson, Erasmus and JOM.
I know it's easy to say in hindsight, but blind Freddy could have seen we were likely to fall down the later.
The L Jackson trade is one of the worst in the history of the AFL.

We are bottom 4.
The ladder does not lie after 18 games and there is no doubt we are one of the worst sides in the AFL at the moment.
We will see if we can improve a bit over the last 6 weeks.
If hawthorn had won today we would actually be looking over our shoulder at the bottom 3 which is quite shocking
STILL bottom four implies we haven’t left in all those years. So we could have made finals for the past 3 years and still be bottom 4? Or we made progress and then regressed back to bottom 4.

I know it's easy to say in hindsight, but blind Freddy could have seen we were likely to fall down the later.
That's probably a bit short sighted. Mundy couldn't play forever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Twenty minutes of Stanley and we don’t need a winger anymore.

I’d be taking another although we may have jagged one! Drizz should move inside.

Desperately need a quality forward who can play mid - Tholstrup or Sanchez

2 x quality small forwards and an extra developing mid this off season.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

it's not even close to our worst trade, yet alone every other teams
Agreed we have made some abysmal trades, this one is up there with them. Picks 4, 13 and 22 for someone that wouldn't be in the top 6 ruckman in the competition at the moment.

Agreed we have made some abysmal trades, this one is up there with them. Picks 4, 13 and 22 for someone that wouldn't be in the top 6 ruckman in the competition at the moment.
Best unicorn in the comp though. But man, that ******* 2nd round pick pisses me off so much

My point was, that Erasmus and Johnson were never going to be able to cover the loss of Mundy this year. When we were negotiating the Jackson trade we should have been aware that there was a strong chance we would fall down the ladder.
They were aware of that but decided to take a longer view. I think they thought JOM would cover for Mundy and believed noddy and Henry would be a better long-term option than Acres.

Best unicorn in the comp though. But man, that ******* 2nd round pick pisses me off so much

Jackson was a pick 3.

Our first round last year was pick 15. With GC academy picks and Ben Mackay compo pick 4 will move out to 6 or 7 and pick 22 will be in the mid to late 20’s.

Pick 15,6 and 26 for a proven tall local match winner that did it on the big stage….. Im OK with that.

What Wallsy has done with anchoring our 2023 to North was great insurance. We just need to work out a way to get into the mid to late first round by sliding back a little in the second and third and trying not to compromise 2024. If we can do that our draft will be fine.

Jackson was a pick 3.

Our first round last year was pick 15. With GC academy picks and Ben Mackay compo pick 4 will move out to 6 or 7 and pick 22 will be in the mid to late 20’s.

Pick 15,6 and 26 for a proven tall local match winner that did it on the big stage….. Im OK with that.

What Wallsy has done with anchoring our 2023 to North was great insurance. We just need to work out a way to get into the mid to late first round by sliding back a little in the second and third and trying not to compromise 2024. If we can do that our draft will be fine.

I won’t budge on trading the 2nd being unbelievably dumb, I’d do the trade again but it was ******* dumb

I won’t budge on trading the 2nd being unbelievably dumb, I’d do the trade again but it was ******* dumb
No argument from me. The offer that we should have held firm on was first and 2nd. Then finally agree to two firsts. Maybe if necessary swap some later picks just for fun like we did with Jordan Clark (ie swapping a F3 and fourth). But no way F2 should have been thrown in.

I was always concerned about the cost. Like what LJ brings and is going to be a great player but the cost was always an issue for me both before and after.

How is the L Jackson one of the worst trades in the history of the AFL???? He will play in excess of 200 games with us as a ruck and forward, he shows far more already than others like Sandi, Gawn, Hawkins and co did when they were 21.

Pick 2 for Weller is a fleecing. I guess you have to argue in hindsight that pick 10 + change for Hill was way overs so fair enough.
At the end of the day they still have Weller and Ballard, two bonafide best 22 players they should get a decade's service from. I wish we were fleeced like that more often! It's one of the more overrated "infamous trades" and I'm a huge Andrew Brayshaw fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back