Analysis 2023 Mid Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Wednesday May 31st

Collingwood currently have no picks.

Will they put a player like Lipinski on the LTI list and take a MSD pick?

Also who is likely to go #1 in the MSD? Who are the MSD prospects?

Discuss

Wednesday May 31st

Discuss

Luke Teal and Kobe Ryan looking like good number 1 picks atm. Ryan super unlucky to go undrafted last year, has started the year really well.

Sam Lowson is absolutely turning one on in the VFL atm. Was super unlucky not to get picked up in the first ever MSD, went down with an ankle injury shortly before.

Ethan Phillips still looking AFL quality defender.

There are actually a fair share of solid looking prospects this year imo.

Wednesday May 31st

Discuss
You'd have to rule someone out for the entire year to put them on the LT1 list. Lippa is already doing non contact drills. They won't go down that path.
If anyone, Howe would be more likely. But even that, I'm not sure they'd do. We may just not go down the MSD road this year, unless something happens in the next few weeks.

Barring a new season ending injury, we won't put any of the current injured players on the LTI as we are hoping to get all of then back.

What about Dean? he's gone for the year, or doesn't it count because he's a rookie?

You'd have to rule someone out for the entire year to put them on the LT1 list. Lippa is already doing non contact drills. They won't go down that path.
If anyone, Howe would be more likely. But even that, I'm not sure they'd do. We may just not go down the MSD road this year, unless something happens in the next few weeks.

Didn’t Lipinski require a further shoulder op recently? There were still issues after the first op?

Might be conservative with bring him back this year. Can’t keep doing repeated shoulders

Didn’t Lipinski require a further shoulder op recently? There were still issues after the first op?

Might be conservative with bring him back this year. Can’t keep doing repeated shoulders
Had his surgery in Feb after his injury in the pre-season. He explains it here. Fly in his presser a couple days ago said he is looking forward to getting him back.
The injury this year was different from the one he did last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Howe and lipinski are best 22. There’s no way they are being put on the LTI list if there’s a decent chance of being back for finals.

I thought Long Term Injury List meant you where out 10-12 Weeks

I thought Long Term Injury List meant you where out 10-12 Weeks

Nope. To open up a spot you have to create a spot. Whoever gets put on LTI is out for the season.

I reckon back 20 years ago when the rookie list required promotion…..you could temporarily promote somebody from the rookie list if there was an injury but you had to drop them back when the injured player came back.

I recall an Essendon player who got a Standing ovation at the end of the game…..because according to the rules he was forced to go back to the seconds the next week as a senior player was due back from 8njury.

Nope. To open up a spot you have to create a spot. Whoever gets put on LTI is out for the season.

I reckon back 20 years ago when the rookie list required promotion…..you could temporarily promote somebody from the rookie list if there was an injury but you had to drop them back when the injured player came back.

I recall an Essendon player who got a Standing ovation at the end of the game…..because according to the rules he was forced to go back to the seconds the next week as a senior player was due back from 8njury.
Think it was Damien peverill?

Right now, the only potential other LTI would be Howey.

From what he was saying recently, he's still a long way off.
Yep, have a feeling Howe might not get back this year.

Last year we put Nathan Kreuger on the Inactive List (in May), and the media insisted that meant he was not able to play for the rest of the season. Our club website pretty much said the same thing. So it was quite a shock to most of us when he made a return to the side late in the year! We could have had two picks in last year's MSD thanks to the Kreuger injury and Jordan Roughead's retirement (we only took Carmichael).

This should explain the "loophole" that allowed Kreuger to play again in 2022: UPDATED: Eagles duo moved to inactive list... for now
1683026146796.png
1683026017242.png

I'm not across the rules, but surely with Howe's long term injury, we'd have another spot available, wouldn't we?

I'm not across the rules, but surely with Howe's long term injury, we'd have another spot available, wouldn't we?
It still should be the case that if we ruled him out (and opened up a spot in the MSD) we wouldn't be able to recall him later in the season (assuming he was fully fit again) unless someone else picked up a season-ending injury (or retired). So we'd be taking quite a risk, given that Howe is still seen as a first team regular when available. It would be a bold move (even given our usual bad luck with injuries!), and I'm not sure the club would want to take that risk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back