Preview 2023 National Draft Preview Thread [currently: #2, #14 (PA), #19 (PP) #40, #52, #60]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love McKercher but we definitely need Reid’s profile more.

Pick 11 will be 12 after the Walter bid, 13 after the McKay compo, 14 after the Read bid and I wouldn’t be shocked if you guys also get a priority pick before that or a Rogers / Croft bid comes before that too. It could very well end up being 15-16 in a draft where the middle / late talents of the 1st round really aren’t as good as previous years.
For all the posts talking about pick # changing due to combos, PPs, NGAs et al. The number changes but it makes no practical difference to the lists teams use to determine who they want and who is available.

If pick 11 (if we have it) becomes 15, it won’t matter to us as the available players will remain in the same order on the draft list.

Alright WCE kids, let's move on. There's the D&T board to have a s**t fight over this...
Translation, "I'm going to go sook about North posters on the WCE board"

Cry Crying GIF

For all the posts talking about pick # changing due to combos, PPs, NGAs et al. The number changes but it makes no practical difference to the lists teams use to determine who they want and who is available.

If pick 11 (if we have it) becomes 15, it won’t matter to us as the available players will remain in the same order on the draft list.
This is an interesting discussion that comes up each year. As a side question, does it impact on the value of the picks used for father son and academy?

Exactly..might change the number but it will be still pick eleven. On the list of players available to all clubs.

Reid is also on record saying he’d be happy to go anywhere when interviewed after he landed in Perth.

So that’s Reid, his manager and coach confirming he’s fine going anywhere, but you choose to believe McClure who backtracked big time on his statement lol.
Close footy mates of his have supported that statement. Not fussed where he goes.

The interesting answer from Reid is more around the question where he would prefer to play, between North or WC.

Going to the draft with 4 first round picks (2,3,11 and 14) is about as good as it gets. We could easily walk out with some combination of Curtin, McKercher, Watson, Sanders, Caddy, O'Sullivan, Murphy.
I would go into permanent shock if we got pick 11 from the AFL, but if we do end up with 2, 3, 11, & 14 there is nothing more to do other than pick the the best 4 kids you possibly can.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we end up 2 3 11 14 we'd be stupid to go for reid, especially with wc value of pick 1. 4 top 20 picks goes a long way in list balance whilst also being able to take quality players. The only thing if anything would be if we wanted to trade 11 and 14 w gold coast for 5, but even then would we be worth going for that for the sake of moving up 6 spaces whilst losing 1 quality kid. That hand alone could see us get mckercher Watson Murphy/ schoenmaker and Archer reid/ Edwards. All players we could do with. Don't see why we would be silly enough to risk all this for reid.

I would go into permanent shock if we got pick 11 from the AFL, but if we do end up with 2, 3, 11, & 14 there is nothing more to do other than pick the the best 4 kids you possibly can.
As good as Harley Reid is I believe that one of our biggest issues in lack of depth. If we were to bring in numerous kids then I think that is our best strategy going forward.

Staggers me that people, especially the media, don't understand this. They look at it purely in terms of numbers pick 11 becomes pick 15 which is 4 picks later therefore it must be bad.

Go to the draft with 2,3,14,39. We don’t need to be diluting our draft picks just to get Harley Reid. If we get Sanders or any additional picks then that’s just an added bonus.

See if we can use our future 2nd along with 14 to get into that pick 7/8 range so that we can nab O’Sullivan or Caddy. Alternatively trade that future 2nd for another pick inside the top 25.

4 picks inside 25 and potentially Sanders will be an even bigger influx of talent than the two top picks last year.
I agree with this. I just can't see anyone trading out of that top 8 though apart from GC.
I reckon GWS would be keen on Sanders or O'Sullivan (Albury kid) at pick 6 so I don't think they trade out of it.
Our best chance might be if Dogs trade 10 and 17 to GC we move up for that pick 10 using Port 1st and F2 or F3 or 38?
But that's unlikely to get us O'Sullivan or Caddy unless one of them drops to pick 10 but seems unlikely.
F2 into this year I'd think would be the most likely option.

Completely agree I'm not getting my hopes up on pick 11, particularly after the way things seem to have gone with pre-listing Sanders, but IF we do get it take those 4 picks to the draft and we make out like bandits.

Last edited:
I guess it all depends on which players clubs are targeting. Melb were into Reid big time and looking to trade for #1 only, but after realising their forward line consists of K. Pickett and nothing else, I think they’d be looking to trade Freo’s pick for a high quality KPF (Ben King types).

You guys have so much top end draft talent already I wouldn’t look at splitting too much unless you have very specific players in mind who would be available. A haul of McKercher, Curtin/Waston and another high end KPD would be a pretty good result if nothing changes.
I dont think our list is looking balanced enough when looking forward. 3 picks in the top 6 available players also gives the coach to make selections that could very well (if in this instance you grab Reid, Melbourne grabs McKercher) be something that includes curtin, the wizard, and perhaps a dursma or which ever high end utility/mid they want to pick (perhaps caddy, or even the target sanders because of his existing relationships). We need a high end small and KPD (or whatever that young fellas becomes) and utility/midfield running and skilled players with a bit of height like dursma or caddy are always desirable.

Staggers me that people, especially the media, don't understand this. They look at it purely in terms of numbers pick 11 becomes pick 15 which is 4 picks later therefore it must be bad.
It does mean that on Twomey's phantom draft we should be looking at pick 15 range, not 11

really hoping we pick up Schoenmaker in the draft. Understand the off field stuff being a bit concerning but feel like he's a a player we could definitely use, big left foot defender. Might be a reach at 14 but would definitely be happy with him, that said i've got nothing to do with the kid and have no idea what he is like personality wise, purely just like his game.

really hoping we pick up Schoenmaker in the draft. Understand the off field stuff being a bit concerning but feel like he's a a player we could definitely use, big left foot defender. Might be a reach at 14 but would definitely be happy with him, that said i've got nothing to do with the kid and have no idea what he is like personality wise, purely just like his game.
Kid looks like a gorilla already.
Can't imagine what he'll be like in a could if years.

Got this gnawing feeling that Duursma’s going to be the best player in the draft. Annoying because he’s not on my Wishlist because similar players blah blah but he always seems to be impactful in some way. Might check his vids again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back