Play Nice 2023 Non AFL (or lower league) Sports Industry Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh dear only 20,668 at the Socceroos match v Ecuador in Parramatta last night= so much for Sydney being the home of Soccer in Australia!
To take a page from several posters on here,

"Thats is greater than the NRL GF rematch on Thursday night"

(I dont think 20K is all that bad TBH. it is average for a friendly against Ecuador which no one knew about)

Australian soccer got another cold, cold dose of reality last night.

The announced crowd was clearly inflated. If there is next to nobody on the top level of that Paramatta stadium then the stadium is less than half full.

Next to nobody was watching. Channel ten's main channel had 5% share last night (almost certainly less than 100K national audience)

This was the "home coming" Socceroos matches from the world cup. The cold truth is that gap in interest level between socceroos in the world cup / not in the world cup is not much different in nature than olympic sport X

Australian soccer got another cold, cold dose of reality last night.

The announced crowd was clearly inflated. If there is next to nobody on the top level of that Paramatta stadium then the stadium is less than half full.

Next to nobody was watching. Channel ten's main channel had 5% share last night (almost certainly less than 100K national audience)

This was the "home coming" Socceroos matches from the world cup. The cold truth is that gap in interest level between socceroos in the world cup / not in the world cup is not much different in nature than olympic sport X
A match with nothing on the line against a minnow nation wasn't going to pull big numbers at the ground or on TV, so I think that explains the lack of promotion. It just wasnt worth the advertising investment. The point of friendlies is to get match time into the players working as a group, so it went towards achieving that.

The FFA know that the soccerroos have lots to fall back on. The WC and its qualifiers plus playing non-WC matches against big drawing nations like the South American and European powers. There is no other sport in the country that can draw thousands into the public spaces of our capital cities at 3AM like we recently saw. Don't think they will be too concerned.

The NRL havent taken kindly to Rugby Australia's signing of one of both codes young talent.

NRL superstar Joseph-Aukuso Suaalii is poised to quit the Roosters and take up a $1.6 million deal with Rugby Australia in 2025.
The sought-after teenager is close to agreeing to switch codes, putting him in line to play for the Wallabies against the British & Irish Lions in two years’ time.

If Joseph-Aukuso Suaalii wants to chase the riches of rugby union good luck to him.
But surely it’s now rugby league’s responsibility to look after its own backyard.

And that should start with NSW coach Brad Fittler blacklisting the young Sydney Roosters mercenary from State of Origin before Suaalii leaves the NRL in 2025.

But when Fittler spoke about it on Channel Nine’s Sunday Footy Show he seemed absolutely certain he would have no issue picking Suaalii.

Last edited:
A match with nothing on the line against a minnow nation wasn't going to pull big numbers at the ground or on TV, so I think that explains the lack of promotion. It just wasnt worth the advertising investment. The point of friendlies is to get match time into the players working as a group, so it went towards achieving that.

The FFA know that the soccerroos have lots to fall back on. The WC and its qualifiers plus playing non-WC matches against big drawing nations like the South American and European powers. There is no other sport in the country that can draw thousands into the public spaces of our capital cities at 3AM like we recently saw. Don't think they will be too concerned.

Quite so, however the FFA do want the local game to raise its public recognition.
That will always be difficult when our best players dont play the game here.

a match almost no one was aware of. Its not too bad under the circumstances

Come on, you don't think at least an email would have gone out to everyone to do with soccer in Sydney - which is a lot of people? Half of all soccer participants are in NSW.

As incompetent as soccer administrators are in this country, surely they could have done (and did) quite a few very cheap very easy things to actually get it out there to their target market?

Come on, you don't think at least an email would have gone out to everyone to do with soccer in Sydney - which is a lot of people? Half of all soccer participants are in NSW.

As incompetent as soccer administrators are in this country, surely they could have done (and did) quite a few very cheap very easy things to actually get it out there to their target market?

Socceroos crowds are built on the casual market, not just the hardcore market.

Socceroos crowds are built on the casual market, not just the hardcore market.

Well yeah in part, but there are literally hundreds of thousands of people involved with the game in Sydney, numbers not even close to being replicated elsewhere. I assume they have mailing lists and club contacts, so you'd think they'd have access to a huge part of the potential market there.

I don't watch much Channel 10, so I don't know how much promotion there was on that. Evidently not much, or at least not many people saw it.

Well yeah in part, but there are literally hundreds of thousands of people involved with the game in Sydney, numbers not even close to being replicated elsewhere. I assume they have mailing lists and club contacts, so you'd think they'd have access to a huge part of the potential market there.

I don't watch much Channel 10, so I don't know how much promotion there was on that. Evidently not much, or at least not many people saw it.
Reality for soccer is a large part of the fans are 'Eurosnobs' who dont follow the local game.

I see the same thing with motor racing. The F1 crowd often have no interest in local car racing/Supercars.

Its not a criticism, fans can & will follow the sports they choose, much to the chagrin of those wanting to compare.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are correct.

An enormous number of people would have been reached out to.

A quick scan of the fairfax papers, news.com, the guardian and ABC shows there were articles across all of them in the lead-up.

The fact is that, just months after the surprise world cup results and getting pretty good engagement and ratings during a world cup, the first return of the socceroos to Australian shores and you get barely 5 figure attendances and TV ratings so low that nobody wants to release the numbers

I like soccer.

i wouldn't have gone if I lived in Sydney. There would be a lot better international soccer matches to watch over the next 2 years which actually means something. Heck, there is a WWC in 3 or so months away. Save the money and watch the NRL instead.

That's the point though isn't it? It's not so much a lack of promotion, but a lack of interest in watching Australia v Ecuador. Not exactly our traditional rivals, and I reckon you'd be lucky if 10% of people could point it out on a map. Even less could name a single city in it.

Funding pressure for sports in the lead up to the Commonwealth Games and the Olympic Games in 2026 and 2032. Also significant is the amount of international sports that Australia will be hosting between now and 2032.

2022: Men's T20 World Cup

• 2022: Women's Basketball World Cup
  • 2023: FIFA Women's World Cup
  • 2026: Commonwealth Games in regional Victoria
  • 2027: Men's Rugby World Cup
  • 2029: Women's Rugby World Cup
  • 2032: Brisbane Olympics and Paralympics

Again, a massively inflated crowd meeting massively deflated expectations

60% of the stadium is close to empty and the rest of it is hardly full. There is no way there are 20,000 there (though clearly there were way more there than Friday).

On this occasion, we can actually reference AFL crowds at the docklands to demonstrate the absurdity. (unlike at Parramatta where inflated NRL crowds provide cover). Apparently there were only 5 to 6K less than the weekends AFL games at the docklands. Sure.

ABL average crowd of 1,168 per game vs other countries baseball crowds.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Surprised it is that high. ABL gets basically no mainstream media coverage.

Peter Fitzsimons starting twitter wars critical of how much money the former nsw liberal Govt had committed to NRL stadiums.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back