Training 2023 Pre-season thread

Remove this Banner Ad

There certainly is a pattern of this I’ve observed over the years. I feel the club does it for players on the chopping block to pump their confidence up for one last run at it before being delisted if they don’t make it that year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Possibly the case with Sharpy this year but not Jimmy I wouldn’t think.

Unusual for us to delist a player after only 3 seasons.

It’s possible Sharp gets moved to the Rookie list at the end of this year.
Sharp is still young and improving in a good side with depth, so a rookie spot is possible.
However, he needs to show marked improvement this year in his overall footy skills.

Sharp at only 182 cm needs to have way better footy skills than taller players on your list to be best 23.
Sharp is equal 5th shortest in the team.
Players of equal and lesser height on our list need way better footy skills to compensate for their height deficiency in the modern game.

From shortest to equal 5th shortest on our list.
Zorko, Neale, McCarthy, Cameron, then these five at 182cm Zac Bailey, Keidean Coleman, Will Ashcroft, Blake Coleman & Harry Sharp

Blake Coleman has good footy skills but needs to improve his fitness level so i would stick with him before Sharp.
Everyone else mentioned are very good footballers and best 23.

Or it could be that Sharpy is actually having a good pre-season, has improved and is being noticed. Not everything is a conspiracy.

If the club isn't looking at every player on the list at this time of year and saying "OK this guy could offer us these attributes and can open up these possibilitites" then they are being negligent in gettting the best out of the list. Especially given Fages "use your weapon" theology.

If Sharpy has improved his skills enough to force a change in thinking about how he could be used then that's exactly what this time of year is about.

Last year and specifics of our style should no longer hold true for this year or we go backwards.

I never thought Sharp's skills were particularly bad nor was he slow once he got going. In fact I would put money on him being one of the fastest over say the last hundred of a 150m race. When he is going he runs around guys and they can't stay with him even leaving aside the distance component.

For me the two things he needs to improve are his explosiveness off the mark which can be improved to some extent and his ability to find the ball. The latter is a little harder to do if you are playing a position which you are not fed the ball (ie you are not playing as a HBFer or as a receiver in the midfield). He hasn't shown a natural feel for where to run to receive on the wing and our set up the last couple of years has been terrible for our wingers. None of them have found much ball and Sharp, being very young and inexperienced, has not been able to be get much of it.

With more defensive run and accountability in the midfield there is a chance that we might play with more width and actually bring our wingers into the game. If we do there is a reasonable chance that Sharp's running ability could see him get chances.

FWIW one other thing I noticed a bit was that his track running power has not to date seem to translate to the same level on the park. Maybe he struggled a bit with the repeat sprint nature of running in games. With a full preseason I think there is potential for his running ability to be more noticeable this upcoming season.

Last edited:
There certainly is a pattern of this I’ve observed over the years. I feel the club does it for players on the chopping block to pump their confidence up for one last run at it before being delisted if they don’t make it that year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Though in this circumstance these opinions are directly from the players, not the media department.

I never thought Sharp's skills were particularly bad nor was he slow once he got going. In fact I would put money on him being one of the fastest over say the last hundred of a 150m race. When he is going he runs around guys and they can't stay with him even leaving aside the distance component.

For me the two things he needs to improve are his explosiveness off the mark which can be improved to some extent and his ability to find the ball. The latter is a little harder to do if you are playing a position which you are not fed the ball (ie you are not playing as a HBFer or as a receiver in the midfield). He hasn't shown a natural feel for where to run to receive on the wing and our set up the last couple of years has been terrible for our wingers. None of them have found much ball and Sharp, being very young and inexperienced, has not been able to be get much of it.

With more defensive run and accountability in the midfield there is a chance that we might play with more width and actually bring our wingers into the game. If we do there is a reasonable chance that Sharp's running ability could see him get chances.

FWIW one other thing I noticed a bit was that his track running power has not to date seem to translate to the same level on the park. Maybe he struggled a bit with the repeat sprint nature of running in games. With a full preseason I think there is potential for his running ability to be more noticeable this upcoming season.

Yes keeping our width was an issue last year, we really struggle with sides who work hard to narrow the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But that's the best way to ensure you never see a rellie you don't like again, just loan them some money.

It's a real win-win thing. ;)
I've had my mother in law live at my house the last two months post a double knee replacement and you're just telling me this now!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back