Training 2023 pre-season

Remove this Banner Ad

We have one of the hardest draws in 2023 it does effect things considerably where you finish at the end of 23 rounds.

Our double ups are teams that consistently give us trouble and have improved in the off season.

Fremantle, Geelong, Gold Coast, GWS, Melbourne, Richmond

Thats some of the toughest double ups in terms of matchups we can have.
If we can't beat Freo and especially GWS twice we aren't going anywhere anyways. GC is in the running I guess for a position around 8-10, so the same goes for them really.

If we can't beat Freo and especially GWS twice we aren't going anywhere anyways. GC is in the running I guess for a position around 8-10, so the same goes for them really.
I don't think Freo, GC, or GWS have improved over the off season. Freo losing so much for Jackson, a type they didn't really need, I think they'll be mid table. GWS got raided again, GC haven't improved their list, though King back will help.

I don't even see the Tigers or Dees as having improved, maybe the Dees slightly. Tigers ins will be offset by the continued ageing of players fundamental to their success.

Cats too will continue ageing, lost Selwood, but whether the cliff appears for anyone this year is uncertain. Certainly Bowes/Bruhn can offset some of that and the bonus of getting Clark will help for the future.

I don't think Freo, GC, or GWS have improved over the off season. Freo losing so much for Jackson, a type they didn't really need, I think they'll be mid table. GWS got raided again, GC haven't improved their list, though King back will help.

I don't even see the Tigers or Dees as having improved, maybe the Dees slightly. Tigers ins will be offset by the continued ageing of players fundamental to their success.

Cats too will continue ageing, lost Selwood, but whether the cliff appears for anyone this year is uncertain. Certainly Bowes/Bruhn can offset some of that and the bonus of getting Clark will help for the future.
Fit Fyfe and Jackson are huge

They will make a huge impact

Look out for freo

Look out for freo
They already had better ruckmen. They've lost their highest goalkicker for 2022, Lobb. They've lost pretty handy players in Acres, Mundy, Logue was a best 22 swingman, Tucker was decent. A fit Fyfe isn't a given, O'Meara isn't that great, Jackson isn't the key forward they need.

Look out for freo
Freo were the arsiest team of 2022. They will struggle to put on a winning score against the best 8. Will slide massively imo along with Collingwood. Even if they make the 8 they'll just be making up the numbers. Their list isn't balanced or good enough to get through a heated finals battle like we did v Melbourne.

As romantic as a dominant Fyfe season sounds, it's not going to happen ever again. He will get injured. And Jackson is going to get found out for the bang average player he is, played a bit part in a dominant Melbourne team. Will be the end of giant contracts given out just for being tall.

Last edited:
We have one of the hardest draws in 2023 it does effect things considerably where you finish at the end of 23 rounds.

Our double ups are teams that consistently give us trouble and have improved in the off season.

Fremantle, Geelong, Gold Coast, GWS, Melbourne, Richmond

Thats some of the toughest double ups in terms of matchups we can have.
Agree re this. Imo we could be on the verge of becoming a seriously dominant side. The only thing that will stop us are the random games or quarters where we completely s**t the bed i.e. v Bulldogs, essendon & Carlton last year. Those performances will kill our season as top 4 is the only hope.

Our way into the top 4 will rely on beating all bottom 8 teams and winning atleast half of our top 8 matchups including double ups. I will be happy with 1 win each v Freo, melb and Richmond aslong as we dismantle every spud team.

Last edited:
Pre season chat bait/my take on the contenders.

Melbourne will start hot. Interesting if they can sustain the rage. Are they fit enough?

Geelong will be Geelong. Will the cliff come?

Bulldogs right in it with lots of riches and solid midfield. Will their back line hold. Stuff them

Richmond will be interesting to watch can they rebuild on the run? . Not sure they're jumping up too high. Is that list a contender in 2023?

Brisbane will be around the mark and are all in. All eyes on them. Can they play deliver under pressure and play fast enough on transition?

Collingwood will come back to earth after an almighty sugar rush or will they? Can Daicos continue? What's Mitchell going to add?

Fremantle will be good and hard to score against. Can they generate enough scoreboard pressure?

Port have a lot of pieces and should be playing to win. Can they put it all together under Ken this time?

Crows are manic and well drilled. Will it get them far without the level of talent of others? Will Rankine own the spotlight?

Carlton are showing signs and play hard clearance football with two of the best talls.Can they actually improve and give Harry and Charlie the right looks?

GWS are going to be rejuvenated on field and off field. Can they surprise?

Ladder prediction

Top 4 in no order: Brisbane, Melbourne, Dogs, Us,

Next lot: Geelong, Fremantle, GWS, Adelaide

Sorry GC

My ladder prediction:

1st - Melbourne
2nd - Fremantle
3rd - Geelong
4th - Port Adelaide
5th - Carlton
6th - Sydney
7th - Brisbane
8th - Richmond
9th - Collingwood
10th - St Kilda
11th - Hawthorn
12th - Western Bulldogs
13th - Essendon
14th - Gold Coast
15th - North Melbourne
16th - GWS
17th - West Coast
18th - Adelaide

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My ladder prediction:

1st - Melbourne
2nd - Fremantle
3rd - Geelong
4th - Port Adelaide
5th - Carlton
6th - Sydney
7th - Brisbane
8th - Richmond
9th - Collingwood
10th - St Kilda
11th - Hawthorn
12th - Western Bulldogs
13th - Essendon
14th - Gold Coast
15th - North Melbourne
16th - GWS
17th - West Coast
18th - Adelaide

Good on you for having a go... but I'll be both suprised and disappointed if you are right. Lots of interesting/surprising calls in there.

Good on you for having a go... but I'll be both suprised and disappointed if you are right. Lots of interesting/surprising calls in there.
The ladder often ends up an interesting/surprising thing I guess.

I look at it as every year, there are predictable unpredictables. Teams' fates unfolding in a certain way that at first, seem surprising, but on closer look, probably weren't that surprising.

There's usually a "rebounds from one bad season" team. Last year that was Collingwood and, to a lesser extent, Richmond. This year I have Port Adelaide being that team.

There's usually a "wins a few extra games purely on the strength of their kids". In 2021 that was us. This year I have Hawthorn being that team.

There's usually a "how the hell are this mob so high up?" team. You could argue that was Collingwood last year. This year I have Fremantle being that team.

There's usually a "why did anyone think this team would be good, they are terrible" team. Last year that was GWS. This year I have GWS being that team again.

There's usually a "team so badly underperforming their coach gets the sack" team. Last year that was Essendon, St Kilda, GWS, take your pick. I have Bulldogs and Gold Coast being those teams this year.

There's usually a "wins the trade period but loses the season" team. Last year that was Carlton and Fremantle. I have Brisbane being that team this year.

So I mean, maybe they're surprising calls, but when is the season ever not surprising?

Port have a lot of pieces and should be playing to win. Can they put it all together under Ken this time?

Crows are manic and well drilled. Will it get them far without the level of talent of others? Will Rankine own the spotlight?

No.

I like Port, but well and truly on the Sack Hinkley train.

Crows aren't going anywhere.

I look at it as every year, there are predictable unpredictables. Teams' fates unfolding in a certain way that at first, seem surprising, but on closer look, probably weren't that surprising.

There's usually a "rebounds from one bad season" team. Last year that was Collingwood and, to a lesser extent, Richmond. This year I have Port Adelaide being that team.

There's usually a "wins a few extra games purely on the strength of their kids". In 2021 that was us. This year I have Hawthorn being that team.

There's usually a "how the hell are this mob so high up?" team. You could argue that was Collingwood last year. This year I have Fremantle being that team.

There's usually a "why did anyone think this team would be good, they are terrible" team. Last year that was GWS. This year I have GWS being that team again.

There's usually a "team so badly underperforming their coach gets the sack" team. Last year that was Essendon, St Kilda, GWS, take your pick. I have Bulldogs and Gold Coast being those teams this year.

There's usually a "wins the trade period but loses the season" team. Last year that was Carlton and Fremantle. I have Brisbane being that team this year.

So I mean, maybe they're surprising calls, but when is the season ever not surprising?
Wait, who thinks GWS will be good?

Agree re this. Imo we could be on the verge of becoming a seriously dominant side. The only thing that will stop us are the random games or quarters where we completely s**t the bed i.e. v Bulldogs, essendon & Carlton last year. Those performances will kill our season as top 4 is the only hope.

Our way into the top 4 will rely on beating all bottom 8 teams and winning atleast half of our top 8 matchups including double ups. I will be happy with 1 win each v Freo, melb and Richmond aslong as we dismantle every spud team.
Admire the positivity but a dominant team would need a stronger set of KPPs. IMO we rely too heavily on lack of injuries and undersized players.

To suggest that anyone other than Essendon wins any trade period is clearly muddle-headed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back