Training 2023 pre-season

Remove this Banner Ad

Pre-season

Dyl first by some distance. Errol second by a similar distance. Warner clear third, Rankin not too far behind, Chad a bit further after that.

Campbell and Roberts didn't perform too well.

McAndrews came last but ran a PB. I'd like to see him up against perennial last placer Amartey.
Don't the talls usually finish in the bottom part of the 2ks anyway?

Dyl first by some distance. Errol second by a similar distance. Warner clear third, Rankin not too far behind, Chad a bit further after that.

Campbell and Roberts didn't perform too well.

McAndrews came last but ran a PB. I'd like to see him up against perennial last placer Amartey.
Were you there? Anything else catch your eye from first day back?

Were you there? Anything else catch your eye from first day back?

I was there. Not a lot more to report - the time trial and just the vibe ("we're back!") were the highlights.

Actually - one important amendment to what I said earlier. Rowbottom finished the 2k run in front of Chad, which I was interested to see. There may have been one other player between them - but they weren't that far apart (a few seconds).

Training was running, skills and a couple of match play lite scenarios. Some of the boys were stuffed after the run.

There were a smattering of senior players but mostly the 1st-4th years. Seniors included: Hickey, Mills, Papley, Reid, Ladhams, Francis, Clarke, Fox, TMac, Amartey. Hayward and Melican also put in appearances dressed in civvies but didn't train.

There were a couple of AFLW players there to watch and support together with one of their coaches.

All the coaching staff plus Charlie plus Tom were there - so I guess some of them caught a plane down to Melbourne afterwards.

There were 4 new VFL players there training with the group: Indhi Kirk, Christian Webster, Toby Alker and another one who's name I didn't get. The rest of the VFL squad were not there so I don't know who is missing.

Maybe we should start a pre-season thread?

I was there. Not a lot more to report - the time trial and just the vibe ("we're back!") were the highlights.

Actually - one important amendment to what I said earlier. Rowbottom finished the 2k run in front of Chad, which I was interested to see. There may have been one other player between them - but they weren't that far apart (a few seconds).

Training was running, skills and a couple of match play lite scenarios. Some of the boys were stuffed after the run.

There were a smattering of senior players but mostly the 1st-4th years. Seniors included: Hickey, Mills, Papley, Reid, Ladhams, Francis, Clarke, Fox, TMac, Amartey. Hayward and Melican also put in appearances dressed in civvies but didn't train.

There were a couple of AFLW players there to watch and support together with one of their coaches.

All the coaching staff plus Charlie plus Tom were there - so I guess some of them caught a plane down to Melbourne afterwards.

There were 4 new VFL players there training with the group: Indhi Kirk, Christian Webster, Toby Alker and another one who's name I didn't get. The rest of the VFL squad were not there so I don't know who is missing.

Maybe we should start a pre-season thread?
Thanks legend!

Much appreciated! (And I agree to the pre-season thread idea) :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see logan putting in the bard yards.

I have a theory that he increased his work rate this season and this had a negative effect on his goal kicking. He pushed himself so much harder this season to get up the ground and present and I think it resulted in him kicking with fatigued legs.

With his hugely increased work rate and tank plus another pre season under his belt, I expect him to go from strength to strength this year

Good to see logan putting in the bard yards.

I have a theory that he increased his work rate this season and this had a negative effect on his goal kicking. He pushed himself so much harder this season to get up the ground and present and I think it resulted in him kicking with fatigued legs.

With his hugely increased work rate and tank plus another pre season under his belt, I expect him to go from strength to strength this year

Hmmm. The last time I heard of the Swans using Shakespeare was when they were choosing between Nankervis and Naismith and were asking "Toby or not Toby?"

Popped into training for a quick look this morning. Further to discussion on another thread about recruits playing seniors next season, based on a single small and early sample I'd put Will Edwards at the top of the list. He remained with the main group when the others broke away to do drills together. He didn't look out of place with the backs in size, skill or familiarity. An advantages of coming through the Academy. Gould and Francis might have some competition for a Swans debut.

Sizing up the new recruits over the fence, if it was a cattle sale it might've left you thinking you'd come back next year after the drought.:) Some more than others. I might have the wrong players, but our two highest picks look like long-term plays. Temper predictions the next Nick Smith is already the finished product. One of them was put in a group doing front-on tackling drills with some of our bigger senior players. Welcome to the Swans.

Paddy McCartin left training early. HHK was on the sidelines then moved to help the drills with the new recruits. Not sure if he is on light training duties, they might be taking it a little easy on him given he didn't have a pre-season at the club last year.

Last edited:
HHK is on light duties because he's still returning from injury (I forget what).

I wonder if today was the draftees' first day at training or whether Konstanty might have made it for Wednesday morning.

HHK is on light duties because he's still returning from injury (I forget what).

I wonder if today was the draftees' first day at training or whether Konstanty might have made it for Wednesday morning.

(Swans media team)

"Would our fans be interested in seeing interviews from the new draftees"?

(thinking about it a bit)

"Nah"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back