Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsEd Curnow
Half-forwards:Sam WalshHarry McKayJack Silvagni
Forwards:Corey DurdinCharlie CurnowJesse Motlop
Followers:Marc PittonetGeorge HewettAdam Cerra
Interchange:Alex CincottaOllie HollandsJosh Honey
Brodie Kemp
Emergencies:Lachie CowanZac FisherLachie Fogarty
Matthew Kennedy

whilst I agree our smalls need to do more...the example is not convincing.

We have Charlie. Why wouldn't we direct more through him? Line up all the KPFs out of us and Demons and we still have the best 2.

The reason I dont like it, is that I believe against top 6-8 teams it will simply not work. Your last line is true, we have the best two best talls out of the Demons and us, but their small/mid sized forwards are always better. We have too many eggs in to few forward baskets.

You need both sets to be contributing, as Demons found out last year, when McDonald went down and as the Cats proved last year, when their talls and smalls contributed. Tigers had the mix right for their seasons of excellence as well, then we go back to West Coast same.

Stats aren't my issue with Fisher it's commitment and physicality.

He's not as shaky as LOB but he's pretty good at avoiding contact and disguising it.
Unfortunately for Fish re physicality is he‘s a light frame. With his build he should be a small forward or on a wing but we have those.

If you’re anywhere near the middle these days you’re fighting it out with very big bodies, not surprised he struggles to stick tackles.

One small point: I’d like to see McKay snap on his right foot when he marks in close on the left side facing the goals. And I would like him to totally avoid leading to that side otherwise. Just lead up and out of space or ead to the fat side. Leave that side to Charlie.

Harry needs to start kicking drop punts.His job is to kick goals and is clearly struggling.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

What are you guys thoughts on Brodie Kemp holding his spot in the team?
Hope he does, as well as Cincotta.

It was fantastic to see great games from both and along with Hollands and Acres it feels like 4 new players that provide a good mix of skill, defensive pressure, versatility and run.

I have a big feeling we may rest Ollie Hollands this week and bring in Cotts. A well earned rest for Ollie.
Cottrell is becoming more and more like Craig Bradley with every passing week that he's out!

I love him but he's nowhere near good enough to walk back into the team with no build up / form.

For context - Hollands has already equalled his career best disposals in a game at 22.

Binns has to be next in line.

Stats aren't my issue with Fisher it's commitment and physicality.

He's not as shaky as LOB but he's pretty good at avoiding contact and disguising it.

I think he lost a lot of fans with that half effort on Petracelli in the last quarter.

I'm still a fan because I can see how tough/important the role he plays is but he's not in the best form at the moment. Taking short steps like that and costing a goal does not help build confidence. He's got to buy into the 100% commitment required.

G'day Blues fans

Just wandering on here as i like to get a bit of opposition perspective each week.

McKay a big talking point. For what it's worth some more drop points might help, just knowing when he is doing what. I am sure it will click this year at some point. I suspect Andrews gets Mckay given he is a bit slower. Payne for Curnow. Payne in good form but a huge challenge for him. If it comes in quickly he could be in strife.

It seems to be when you have 2 gun key forwards the smalls should be feasting more. Durdin has always looked dangerous to me. Is Owies back this week? He seemed to be the missing ingredient from earlier in the season going at 2 goals a game.

It also seems the Blues have injected some more speed. Doc in to the middle. Speed back with Saad. I don't know anything about Cincotta does he have some pace? I know there is a lot of talk about the blues having a slow midfield. Might have a little bit of truth in it but if you win clearances it doesn't really matter. No Zorko for us who has been very good this year. I am hoping Berry has some inside mid minutes to try to blunt Cripps who has hurt us before. I am still scarred from 2019!

For us Daniher has been much better since getting blasted early in the season. Consistency of effort. Hipwood not getting heaps of it but competing. Gunston looks very slow and a few of us lions supporters not convinced by him. McCarthy getting back to form but copped a massive hit in the back. Cameron was flying until last weekend. He was solid vs Freo but 17 goals in 3 weeks before that. If he starts well he generally has a good game.

Re our away record - agree it has not been great recently, with some decent wins as exceptions (Sydney SCG last year, Melbourne in the semi final). We don't normally get pumped but are below our best. Oddly the one venue we have been good at is Docklands, 6 in a row there BEFORE we lost to the dogs in round 3. If we lose this we will rightly get smashed in the media saying we struggle away against good side.

I was hoping Carlton may struggle to back up from Perth on a slightly shorter break. But i can't imagine much fatigue from a 100 point win!

Anyway enjoy the game

While we won, dont think West Coast game showed us any improvements in small/mid forward impact. Their lack of impact unsustainable for me.

Our small/mid forwards kicked 5 in a one sided match. Look at Demons small/mid forwards who kicked 12 in the same type of game. That is more sustainable for me.

I don't agree that this is a massive issue. Not all teams have a Charlie / Harry to kick big chunks of their goals. In lieu of that they rely on others to do the goal kicking. If the dees were relying on Schacke and van Rooyen to kick all their goals they'd be up sht Creek.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

G'day Blues fans

Just wandering on here as i like to get a bit of opposition perspective each week.

McKay a big talking point. For what it's worth some more drop points might help, just knowing when he is doing what. I am sure it will click this year at some point. I suspect Andrews gets Mckay given he is a bit slower. Payne for Curnow. Payne in good form but a huge challenge for him. If it comes in quickly he could be in strife.

It seems to be when you have 2 gun key forwards the smalls should be feasting more. Durdin has always looked dangerous to me. Is Owies back this week? He seemed to be the missing ingredient from earlier in the season going at 2 goals a game.

It also seems the Blues have injected some more speed. Doc in to the middle. Speed back with Saad. I don't know anything about Cincotta does he have some pace? I know there is a lot of talk about the blues having a slow midfield. Might have a little bit of truth in it but if you win clearances it doesn't really matter. No Zorko for us who has been very good this year. I am hoping Berry has some inside mid minutes to try to blunt Cripps who has hurt us before. I am still scarred from 2019!

For us Daniher has been much better since getting blasted early in the season. Consistency of effort. Hipwood not getting heaps of it but competing. Gunston looks very slow and a few of us lions supporters not convinced by him. McCarthy getting back to form but copped a massive hit in the back. Cameron was flying until last weekend. He was solid vs Freo but 17 goals in 3 weeks before that. If he starts well he generally has a good game.

Re our away record - agree it has not been great recently, with some decent wins as exceptions (Sydney SCG last year, Melbourne in the semi final). We don't normally get pumped but are below our best. Oddly the one venue we have been good at is Docklands, 6 in a row there BEFORE we lost to the dogs in round 3. If we lose this we will rightly get smashed in the media saying we struggle away against good side.

I was hoping Carlton may struggle to back up from Perth on a slightly shorter break. But i can't imagine much fatigue from a 100 point win!

Anyway enjoy the game
I've no idea how we'll play given our recent form.
We were very attacking and bold saturday (big ground with undermanned opposition) but prior to that it looked like we knew we were lacking in footskills and pace so try to turn the games into a very structured and slow contest.

We have better and quicker ball users from our backline now. Cincotta, Saad, McGovern seem a good combination.

Tough to say really. i think the smaller ground will hurt you guys more than us. We're at home and coming off a good win.

I think we'll get the chocolates by less than 4 goals. Bookies seem to think it will be very close as well.

Good luck, no injuries. Hoping the Ashcroft kid has a quiet night!

G'day Blues fans

Anyway enjoy the game

Charlie Cameron is the only one who concerns me. I hope Newman can perform another miracle this week.

Daniher and Eric are just too unreliable to concern Weit / Young much (away from home).

Zorko always plays well against us and Rich leaves a big hole as the lions are so reliant on him to bring the ball out of defence. Big outs.

I can see Cripps and Curnow causing the lions some big problems in particular.

Big O vs Pitto will be an interesting watch. Could have a big say in the outcome.

I've no idea how we'll play given our recent form.
We were very attacking and bold saturday (big ground with undermanned opposition) but prior to that it looked like we knew we were lacking in footskills and pace so try to turn the games into a very structured and slow contest.

We have better and quicker ball users from our backline now. Cincotta, Saad, McGovern seem a good combination.

Tough to say really. i think the smaller ground will hurt you guys more than us. We're at home and coming off a good win.

I think we'll get the chocolates by less than 4 goals. Bookies seem to think it will be very close as well.

Good luck, no injuries. Hoping the Ashcroft kid has a quiet night!
Charlie Cameron is the only one who concerns me. I hope Newman can perform another miracle this week.

Daniher and Eric are just too unreliable to concern Weit / Young much (away from home).

Zorko always plays well against us and Rich leaves a big hole as the lions are so reliant on him to bring the ball out of defence. Big outs.

I can see Cripps and Curnow causing the lions some big problems in particular.

Big O vs Pitto will be an interesting watch. Could have a big say in the outcome.
Ashcroft often has quiet periods. Probably at some point you will think this kid is all hype. But when he starts to get in to the game he is fantastic in close. Has great handballs but his kicking for now not very damaging. Usually converts though.

Agree re Pittonet. Crucial for you guys, seems very influential when up and going. Oscar will never be A grade but can have some good games. Has been a bit handball-to-nobody happy lately, but now fox footy has highlighted it maybe the coach has too!

Weitering is a gun so if Daniher can keep him busy and kick 1-2 that would be a win. Daniher had Taylor v Giants and at the start Taylor was beating him easily. To his credit Daniher got upfield to take some marks and kicked a nice goal from 55m. Taylor did his hammy but by the time he did Daniher had turned it into a 50/50 contest at worse. So if he can manage that then there's a chance one of Hipwood or Gunston can kick 2-3, and Cameron has a bit of room to work in.

If Daniher decides to sit in the forward 50 and wrestle Weitering then jump 3 minutes too early for mark of the year..... well i'll be in the bar haha

Ashcroft often has quiet periods. Probably at some point you will think this kid is all hype. But when he starts to get in to the game he is fantastic in close. Has great handballs but his kicking for now not very damaging. Usually converts though.

Agree re Pittonet. Crucial for you guys, seems very influential when up and going. Oscar will never be A grade but can have some good games. Has been a bit handball-to-nobody happy lately, but now fox footy has highlighted it maybe the coach has too!

Weitering is a gun so if Daniher can keep him busy and kick 1-2 that would be a win. Daniher had Taylor v Giants and at the start Taylor was beating him easily. To his credit Daniher got upfield to take some marks and kicked a nice goal from 55m. Taylor did his hammy but by the time he did Daniher had turned it into a 50/50 contest at worse. So if he can manage that then there's a chance one of Hipwood or Gunston can kick 2-3, and Cameron has a bit of room to work in.

If Daniher decides to sit in the forward 50 and wrestle Weitering then jump 3 minutes too early for mark of the year..... well i'll be in the bar haha
With respect to Ashcroft, he is a phenom. I love the way he plays, very difficult to do so well as a small inside mid (182cm, listed at 78kg but I'd be surprised if he was over 75kg) especially in your first year!

I'm looking forward to this contest, I reckon Brisbane are right up there with the contenders (Melbourne, Collingwood, Brisbane, Geelong) so if we can somehow knock you off I'll be rapt.

The reason I dont like it, is that I believe against top 6-8 teams it will simply not work. Your last line is true, we have the best two best talls out of the Demons and us, but their small/mid sized forwards are always better. We have too many eggs in to few forward baskets.

You need both sets to be contributing, as Demons found out last year, when McDonald went down and as the Cats proved last year, when their talls and smalls contributed. Tigers had the mix right for their seasons of excellence as well, then we go back to West Coast same.
even if we had the dees smalls theyd kick less goals because charlie and harry are better targets. thats the point.

I think our smalls need to improve, I just think that your initial stat comparison isnt a fair way to show it.

G'day Blues fans

McKay is slower than who? Charlie? I'm not sure about that. Big H is pretty quick when he get's his skates on.

Telstra tracker Top Speeds 2023:

HMc 33.9km/h Round 1
CC 33.1km/h Round 3 & 6

Hint: That's your CC not ours ;)

Look, I can’t say I’m optimistic about a win on Friday. I am more optimistic now than I was before the West Coast game, not just because we won, but because we managed to avoid some classically Carlton things (you know, struggle to score even with a gazillion inside-50s, or given up the last 6 goals to erode out margin, etc etc).

I think after sitting through that disaster of a loss at the Gabba at the end of last season, I struggle to get the Lions’ dominance out of my head. But, living in Qld, I know there is a blueprint to beat them, and I’m just hoping that we are switched on enough to deliver it.
  • They aren’t a great defensive team (good, but not great). That’s why they’ve been found out in finals in recent years. Their defenders are good, but can sag off/take an aggressive position. Therefore, if you’re smart going forward you can find options and kick scores. Play dumb, and they intercept easily.
  • They are a very good offensive team. Any of their forwards can kick 4-6 goals on you, and all regularly contribute. Defenders have to play tight on their man, deprive space and make it a real scrap.
  • They obviously have a flush midfield, but they aren’t naturally exceptionally good contested ball players (although Dunkley changes this mix up). Therefore a team that is attacking the contest has the chance to get a hold of the ascendency. Also, Neale is just too good to go head-to-head. A hard tag is the best option. Reduce his impact and things become a whole lot more hopeful.
I am pretty confident we can do 2, I think we can do 3 on our best day, but our formline on 1 makes me nervous. Being at Marvel (i.e. not the Gabba) helps. Having the energy from the WC win helps. Coming into a run of tough games might give us an attitude of ‘getting off to a good start’ – this would help, too.

So, not optimistic, but just a bit hopeful.

McKay is slower than who? Charlie? I'm not sure about that. Big H is pretty quick when he get's his skates on.

Telstra tracker Top Speeds 2023:

HMc 33.9km/h Round 1
CC 33.1km/h Round 3 & 6

Hint: That's your CC not ours ;)
Fair point i hadn't clocked him as that quick! Although there are always some surprising top speeds. The speed that would worry me more is pace off the mark, i'd have thought Curnow would be much quicker there? And i am certain our CC would be quicker in that regard!

I would still play Payne on Curnow as Curnow seems much more mobile eg gathering the ball baulking a couple then kicking a goal. McKay seems to be much more about marks and Andrews with his reach would be better placed to affect that.

Look, I can’t say I’m optimistic about a win on Friday. I am more optimistic now than I was before the West Coast game, not just because we won, but because we managed to avoid some classically Carlton things (you know, struggle to score even with a gazillion inside-50s, or given up the last 6 goals to erode out margin, etc etc).

I think after sitting through that disaster of a loss at the Gabba at the end of last season, I struggle to get the Lions’ dominance out of my head. But, living in Qld, I know there is a blueprint to beat them, and I’m just hoping that we are switched on enough to deliver it.
  • They aren’t a great defensive team (good, but not great). That’s why they’ve been found out in finals in recent years. Their defenders are good, but can sag off/take an aggressive position. Therefore, if you’re smart going forward you can find options and kick scores. Play dumb, and they intercept easily.
  • They are a very good offensive team. Any of their forwards can kick 4-6 goals on you, and all regularly contribute. Defenders have to play tight on their man, deprive space and make it a real scrap.
  • They obviously have a flush midfield, but they aren’t naturally exceptionally good contested ball players (although Dunkley changes this mix up). Therefore a team that is attacking the contest has the chance to get a hold of the ascendency. Also, Neale is just too good to go head-to-head. A hard tag is the best option. Reduce his impact and things become a whole lot more hopeful.
I am pretty confident we can do 2, I think we can do 3 on our best day, but our formline on 1 makes me nervous. Being at Marvel (i.e. not the Gabba) helps. Having the energy from the WC win helps. Coming into a run of tough games might give us an attitude of ‘getting off to a good start’ – this would help, too.

So, not optimistic, but just a bit hopeful.
Interesting to note point 3. I think it's right that we are less reliant on Neale now. But if he is at his best he is bloody damaging. The other point is when he has been properly tagged he has often struggled. So if you can do that without upsetting the midfield balance too much why not try it? I don't think he has had a hard tag this year, would be interesting if Dunkley actually gave a bit of assistance as previously our midfielders just left him to be terrorised. Geelong Prelim was a case in point...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back