No Oppo Supporters 2024 AFL General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Possibly. But if you believe the media we are going to have to pay Gulden and McDonald in the vicinity of $1m pa if we want to re-sign them. And then there will be Warner in a couple of years time, Heeney and Mills already on good money, Grundy on more than you would normally pay a ruckman (albeit that the Pies are kindly subsidising it).

I don't know, without going to look at it, when McCartin is next out of contract. But I think most (all?) of us would say he's a "must keep". And then there's Papley, McInerney, Florent etc...

So are we going to have a lot of junk in the bottom half of our list?
Far too difficult to tell from the outside looking in, I guess. I have to imagine if Freo want to pay McDonald $1m per year then I'd say we'd be happy to negotiate a trade; can't see us paying that much for him. Gulden looks like he is certainly going to be amongst our highest paid on his next deal, for sure.

4 players up around the $1m a year mark on your list just seems absurd. Buddy was the only one on that for us... sure we would've had other players on decent money, but there would've been a better spread than what the Bulldogs currently have. I trust we're managing our list a lot better than them.

Far too difficult to tell from the outside looking in, I guess. I have to imagine if Freo want to pay McDonald $1m per year then I'd say we'd be happy to negotiate a trade; can't see us paying that much for him. Gulden looks like he is certainly going to be amongst our highest paid on his next deal, for sure.

4 players up around the $1m a year mark on your list just seems absurd. Buddy was the only one on that for us... sure we would've had other players on decent money, but there would've been a better spread than what the Bulldogs currently have. I trust we're managing our list a lot better than them.
The cap is going up. Soon having a few players on 1m+ will be the norm

The fact that we’ve reportedly chased a few key forwards suggests:

(a) we’re not sure about keeping Logan; and

(b) we’re not sure Armatey and McLean are enough.

Yes, we can’t afford to go the West Coast route of selling the farm for a couple of players - but Sydney does like a high profile key forward.

Possibly. But if you believe the media we are going to have to pay Gulden and McDonald in the vicinity of $1m pa if we want to re-sign them. And then there will be Warner in a couple of years time, Heeney and Mills already on good money, Grundy on more than you would normally pay a ruckman (albeit that the Pies are kindly subsidising it).

I don't know, without going to look at it, when McCartin is next out of contract. But I think most (all?) of us would say he's a "must keep". And then there's Papley, McInerney, Florent etc...

So are we going to have a lot of junk in the bottom half of our list?
This is the "penalty" for developing a quality list. Somewhere along the way we will end up offering someone less than they feel (perhaps correctly) they are worth and they'll seek fame and fortune elsewhere. Probably not this year but if we finish top 4 it will be very soon.

The fact that we’ve reportedly chased a few key forwards suggests:

(a) we’re not sure about keeping Logan; and

(b) we’re not sure Armatey and McLean are enough.

Yes, we can’t afford to go the West Coast route of selling the farm for a couple of players - but Sydney does like a high profile key forward.
Amartey, McLean and Buller are probably more than we had in 2012. Hawks had Buddy, Roughead, Gunston and Breust. Our KPF kicked one goal in the GF.
I don't want McDonald to go but if he does history shows we can survive if everyone does their bit.

Amartey, McLean and Buller are probably more than we had in 2012. Hawks had Buddy, Roughead, Gunston and Breust. Our KPF kicked one goal in the GF.
I don't want McDonald to go but if he does history shows we can survive if everyone does their bit.
As much as I loved Claremont boy Buller being drafted, he’s not yet demonstrated that he’s an AFL quality player.

Armatey as we all know is very hit & miss (and injury prone)

McLean doesn’t kick a lot of goals.

I think yes, we could survive, but I’m not sure we could prosper.

As for the 2012 comparison - not sure Armatey/McLean is more than Goodes/Reid.

Opening Round discussion is only in the first few minutes but this was hilarious by Gerard Healy. Threw the bait out, reeled Brad Johnson in when he bit, then threw him back with one sentence.

This is my concern.

IMO I don't think we can afford multiple players on the $1mill+.

Would rather a champion list than a list full of champions.
This is where Florent and Hayward might be in trouble now we have so much depth , a lot bag the Cats but quite a few players took a cut so they could stay together

This is where Florent and Hayward might be in trouble now we have so much depth , a lot bag the Cats but quite a few players took a cut so they could stay together
Think you're being generous with Geelong there bedders.

As for Florent & Hayward, I kind of agree but I also don't.

I don't think they should be much of a priority for us in terms of re-signing them, especially if it's on disproportionate money and it potentially costs us a Gulden/Rowbottom/McDonald.

But I think just because we could replace them, it doesn't mean their replacements would be able to equal their output, particularly if they're more raw, younger, inexperienced versions. Is that 'depth', or is it taking a step backwards?

Last edited:
Think you're being generous with Geelong there bedders.

As for Florent & Hayward, I kind of agree but I also don't.

I don't think they should be much of a priority for us in terms of re-signing them, especially if it's on disproportionate money and it potentially costs us a Gulden/Rowbottom/McDonald.

But I think just because we could replace them, it doesn't mean their replacements would be able to equal their output, particularly if they're more raw, younger, experienced versions. Is that 'depth', or is it taking a step backwards?
Sadly it's a part of footy , loved Hewett , but he had to go in the end

Sadly it's a part of footy , loved Hewett , but he had to go in the end
Yeah, because we thought we had younger, better options, but then spent the next year bemoaning our young midfield and our centre clearance work while Hewett was busy being a top 3 centre clearance player in the comp for the Blues. It was a classic example of over-estimating our depth at the time.

FWIW I don't think Florent & Hayward are quite the same as Hewett. I think they're both in roles that suit them and should showcase their full abilities, they just don't perform that consistently. But the point still stands that you'd wanna be really bloody confident in the options under/around them before we happily discard them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My biggest hope (Outside of a surprise Logan extension next week) is that Treacy and Amiss keep kicking on at Fremantle.

I don't think a club would want to have significant $$$ tied down to multiple talls (Amiss, Jackson, Darcy, Treacy and this is before Pearce, Serong, Brayshaw Young and Ryan).

Honestly Fremantle's list is in a great state for the future, I think they just need a few decent small/ medium forwards and one more gun outside hybrid mid and they are set.

Yeah, because we thought we had younger, better options, but then spent the next year bemoaning our young midfield and our centre clearance work while Hewett was busy being a top 3 centre clearance player in the comp for the Blues. It was a classic example of over-estimating our depth at the time.

FWIW I don't think Florent & Hayward are quite the same as Hewett. I think they're both in roles that suit them and should showcase their full abilities, they just don't perform that consistently. But the point still stands that you'd wanna be really bloody confident in the options under/around them before we happily discard them.
I think there are others we would let go (or possibly lowball) before Florent or Hayward. With JUH off the table I also think that will relieve some potential cap pressure as I don't think there are any other targets in that ballpark.
Errol will stay.
I think the Logan story will spin out a while but he'll stay in the end.
I'm a bit worried about Gus getting games but otherwise think we're in good shape.

I think there are others we would let go (or possibly lowball) before Florent or Hayward. With JUH off the table I also think that will relieve some potential cap pressure as I don't think there are any other targets in that ballpark.
Errol will stay.
I think the Logan story will spin out a while but he'll stay in the end.
I'm a bit worried about Gus getting games but otherwise think we're in good shape.
Looking at the list of players out of contract, there are three who I think, though they may be older, I'd prefer to keep over Florent & Hayward.

1. Lewis Melican. For obvious reasons. Quality key defenders aren't that easy to come by, and I think Melican can be that guy. McCartin needs help as well and with Rampe nearing retirement in the next year or so you'd think, Melican's signature becomes all the more important.

2. Harry Cunningham. Again, for obvious reasons. Who else on our list can play as a lockdown defender on the opposition's best small forwards?

3. Robbie Fox. Probably not as important to the two above, and perhaps swayed by a bit of recency bias in terms of his positive contributions to the team so far this year, but I think we need pressure players inside 50 and other than Wicks, I don't see anyone on our list who can offer much there. At least not until you get to unproven guys like Konstanty, Kirk etc.

Having said all of the above, I am still a Florent fan. I think he's a good player and would like to keep him.

I'd like to think that that the guys (and girls) on the bottom of the pyramid are getting their fair share: that it's not all going to the top few. They contribute heavily to our enjoyment of the game.
As much as I hate it, that's what the cap floor helps

St Scum have a 3year offer to Melican
Towards the end of last year I think it was widely believed he was off to North Melbourne (as an unrestricted free agent). And yet he elected to stay on a one year deal (and, I'm guessing, modest money) at the Swans. It may just be that he didn't fancy going to a cellar dweller, but it also indicates he's emotionally invested at the Swans.

The key for him is his body. His early season form has been great, but not surprisingly so. He's already shown he's a good player when his body has allowed him to play.

I'd be surprised at clubs (us or others) throwing three years his way this early in the year, given his history. But if he's still going strong mid-season I'd hope the Swans would table him at least a two year deal.

Last edited:
Towards the end of last year I think it was widely believed he was off to North Melbourne (as an unrestricted free agent). And yet he elected to stay on a one year deal (and, I'm guessing, modest money) at the Swans. It may just be that he didn't fancy going to a cellar dweller, but it also indicates he's emotionally invested at the Swans.

The key for him is his body. His early season form has been great, but not surprisingly so. He's already shown he's a good player when his body has allowed him to play.

I'd be surprised at clubs (us or others) throwing three years his way this early in the year, given his history. But if he's still going strong mid-season I'd hope the Swans would table him at least a two year deal.
He is a required player , trust me , Horse loves him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back