No Oppo Supporters 2024 AFL General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Today the AFL releases a statement;
The AFL industry will come together as a collective voice across this weekend’s round of matches to stand against the national crisis of gender-based violence in Australia

Today Essendon coach Brad Scott says troubled former Kangaroo Tarryn Thomas deserves another chance in the AFL.

To quote BS (take that as you like)
"I've known Tarryn since he was 14 and my view is that he's a good person. Has he made some terrible mistakes? Yes and he's the first to admit that"

Unbelievable.

The AFL industry will come together as a collective voice across this weekend’s round of matches to stand against the national crisis of gender-based violence in Australia

Today Essendon coach Brad Scott says troubled former Kangaroo Tarryn Thomas deserves another chance in the AFL.

"I've known Tarryn since he was 14 and my view is that he's a good person. Has he made some terrible mistakes? Yes and he's the first to admit that"

Unbelievable.

Sign him up Essendon style then Brad Scott. I don't think there will be too much competition. No need to make a fuss about it. As NIKE says "Just Do It".

Unbelievable.

Some people show a truly alarming lack of judgement. No need to say anything at all.

Ingrained Behaviours are difficult to change
Where is the evidence that Thomas has changed?

Brad Scott’s remarks are diabolical.

Police dropped charges against him.

Yes he can play football but he also needs to be a decent human being and treat people with respect. He seems to fail at that even without a conviction.

Ingrained Behaviours are difficult to change
Where is the evidence that Thomas has changed?

Brad Scott’s remarks are diabolical.
Thomas has had 3 chances. I don't care if he's a "ripping bloke". Would any of us want him involved with our daughters? He has forfeited his right to the privileged position of playing footy for a living.

It would be good if just once Brad (and previously Chris ) Scott perhaps looked at the bigger picture and forget that because he can play football we need to 'wrap our arms around' Thomas.

Perhaps just once it would be nice if the woman who was the subject of the barrage of Thomas' abusive and threatening texts was given a mention.

Thomas is not THE VICTIM she is.

Last edited:
Paul Roos' take on WCE giving Harley Reid a week off.

AFL legend Paul Roos has questioned whether West Coast's decision to allow Harley Reid to visit his family while being rested is an example of player power going too far.

"If he's not fit to play, why is he OK to fly back and see his family? We can only assume that was a part of the deal of the recruiting. He's a No.1 draft pick so you're going to bend over.

"We shouldn't be talking about it because he should be playing, and 20-30 years ago he would be playing. But now, we've got this ridiculous complexity around free agency.

"Let's not forget what happened with Jason Horne-Francis.

"It's not a great look for the West Coast Eagles, let's be perfectly frank," he (Roos) said......if you start dropping your standards, you stand for nothing."

Bizarre rant from Roos IMO.

I've seen nothing to suggest any 'deal' was made regarding Reid's recruitment, that his week off has anything to do with free agency (how could it be?) or that giving a young bloke a week off, to mentally relax as much as anything is 'dropping your standards'. Nor have I seen anything that suggests the week off was instigated by Harley or that it was because he was carrying a specific injury.

Everyone jokes about Harley being on the back page of The West since he joined the club.
Huge pressure on a bloke who turned 19 two weeks ago and is hailed as the messiah.
Give him a week off, go home to family, belatedly celebrate his birthday, de-stress and for one week get off the back cover of The West.

(Note, Roos does make a reasonably valid point regarding the travel load on WA based players. Somehow however I think it would be a cumulative affect on the body and impact recovery. I think Reid will be just fine with one return flight, where I doubt he was stuck in economy.)

AFL legend Paul Roos has questioned whether West Coast's decision to allow Harley Reid to visit his family while being rested is an example of player power going too far.

"If he's not fit to play, why is he OK to fly back and see his family? We can only assume that was a part of the deal of the recruiting. He's a No.1 draft pick so you're going to bend over.

"We shouldn't be talking about it because he should be playing, and 20-30 years ago he would be playing. But now, we've got this ridiculous complexity around free agency.

"It's not a great look for the West Coast Eagles, let's be perfectly frank," he (Roos) said......if you start dropping your standards, you stand for nothing."

I've seen nothing to suggest any 'deal' was made regarding Reid's recruitment, that his week off has anything to do with free agency (how could it be?) or that giving a young bloke a week off, to mentally relax as much as anything is 'dropping your standards'. Nor have I seen anything that suggests the week off was instigated by Harley or that it was because he was carrying a specific injury.

Everyone jokes about Harley being on the back page of The West since he joined the club.
Huge pressure on a bloke who turned 19 two weeks ago and is hailed as the messiah.
Give him a week off, go home to family, belatedly celebrate his birthday, de-stress and for one week get off the back cover of The West.

(Note, Roos does make a reasonably valid point regarding the travel load on WA based players. Somehow however I think it would be a cumulative affect on the body and impact recovery. I think Reid will be just fine with one return flight, where I doubt he was stuck in economy.)
It's not a big deal but it does bring into question whether it's just a gesture for his reputation. You don't just get given a week off with pay in a normal job because you're highly regarded whilst everyone else in that position has to rock up. Society has gone soft. If I were picked up at pick 99 in the same draft, I would then expect the same lee way if others were given it.

That one decision then creates a domino effect. If all players were given the same right, it's soft. If they're not, then that's where the locker room starts dividing. Standards get questioned.

Last edited:
It's not a big deal but it does bring into question whether it's just a gesture for his reputation. You don't just get given a week off with pay in a normal job because you're highly regarded whilst everyone else in that position has to rock up. Society has gone soft. If I were picked up at pick 99 in the same draft, I would then expect the same lee way if others were given it.

That one decision then creates a domino effect. If all players were given the same right, it's soft. If they're not, then that's where the locker room starts dividing. Standards get questioned.
A lot depends on how it is framed. "A week off" vs "Managed".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see and kind of agree with what you are saying, but we have no knowledge of the inner workings of the club. Perhaps he is dreadfully homesick, so giving him some time to just spend with family might be for his own well being.
If I recall correctly, prior to the draft there was strong murmurs that he didn't want to leave Vic, so this may have been an arrangement suggested by WC during pre draft conversations if they drafted him.

Fully agree with the second sentence, but I wonder if I (and others) misjudged JHF?

Certainly I viewed JHF as an entitled immature brat who couldn't wait to get home to Adelaide.
He seems far more settled at Port and integrated into the team, with nary a complaint.

Looking back maybe there was a toxic culture at North, that imposed too much pressure on an 18yo and he struggled to cope?
Having the personality and social skills to deal with the pressure of being the 'saviour' #1 pick isn't easy.
And a young person needs the support network around him.
The North BF board laments the lack of leadership on and off field at the club.

Getting to the right club, with the right culture at the right time is so important for the development of the individual both as a person and player.
Not sure that happened with JHF at North.
I watch every single Port game. They are my 2nd team as a result of my beautiful partner & a few of my children.

Horny is easily my favourite Port player. Just an absolute gun. Tough. Smart. Agile. Strong. Fast.

I can see him winning a brownlow &/or a Norm Smith at some point.

It seems the Boak/Wines era has handed over to the Butters/Rozee/Horny & Drew era. IMO JHF is the best of the lot of them & the player you can build a side around. I rate him as high as Weagles fans rate Reid.

For all North Melbourne’s faults - they had the courage to sack Tarryn Thomas.

Now Essendon’s coach says he deserves to play AFL again.

God I hate Essendon.

Tarryn Thomas should never be on an AFL list again. Chris Scott should have had the sense to let that question through to the keeper and kept his thoughts to himself.
North gave Thomas enough chances, tried to get him on the straight and narrow and his behaviour didn't change. They sacked him and that should be that. Thomas has only himself to blame.

Phil Cleary rightly took the AFL to task over B Scott’s remarks on Thomas

Apparently the Age asked 11 clubs whether there was interest in Thomas with only three saying they had no interest, the others were monitoring… I hope we have nothing to do with him.

Tarryn Thomas should never be on an AFL list again. Chris Scott should have had the sense to let that question through to the keeper and kept his thoughts to himself.
North gave Thomas enough chances, tried to get him on the straight and narrow and his behaviour didn't change. They sacked him and that should be that. Thomas has only himself to blame.

Stringer is probably on his way out, Thomas would help keep their quota of stone cold drop-kick losers fully intact

Rest assured people, no matter how low you go, you'll still be a respected example of true humanity to Essendon

I see and kind of agree with what you are saying, but we have no knowledge of the inner workings of the club. Perhaps he is dreadfully homesick, so giving him some time to just spend with family might be for his own well being.
If I recall correctly, prior to the draft there was strong murmurs that he didn't want to leave Vic, so this may have been an arrangement suggested by WC during pre draft conversations if they drafted him.
Perhaps he's a youngster playing a very high impact contact sport that also involves running a half marathon every week and it's not a good idea for young bodies to do that every week?

It honestly blows my mind how people in afl still don't get this.

Last edited:
For all North Melbourne’s faults - they had the courage to sack Tarryn Thomas.

Now Essendon’s coach says he deserves to play AFL again.

God I hate Essendon.
I could be wrong, but my understanding is that when a player is suspended for greater than 16 weeks, (Thomas got 18), he is deregistered by the AFL. Once deregistered, he is not on any list.

So North did not have to sack him, and needed no courage - the AFL did it for them.

The AFL have blocked Wayne Carey being in the NSWHOF and good
Interesting. Is that very recent? I think I saw his name on the list of initial inductees as recently as this week.

Stick Brett Kirk in in his place. I don't really understand how Leo Barry made the cut and not Kirk. That's nothing against Barry, but Kirk is of the same vintage and his contribution to the team's performance was as significant as Barry's. He was a club captain (for more than the rotational few weeks during 2006) and is still involved in the sport in NSW via his role with the Swans.

Interesting. Is that very recent? I think I saw his name on the list of initial inductees as recently as this week.

Stick Brett Kirk in in his place. I don't really understand how Leo Barry made the cut and not Kirk. That's nothing against Barry, but Kirk is of the same vintage and his contribution to the team's performance was as significant as Barry's. He was a club captain (for more than the rotational few weeks during 2006) and is still involved in the sport in NSW via his role with the Swans.
Today i think Liz , Kirky and Leo should be both in . Carey and family are not nice people

I watch every single Port game. They are my 2nd team as a result of my beautiful partner & a few of my children.

Horny is easily my favourite Port player. Just an absolute gun. Tough. Smart. Agile. Strong. Fast.

I can see him winning a brownlow &/or a Norm Smith at some point.

It seems the Boak/Wines era has handed over to the Butters/Rozee/Horny & Drew era. IMO JHF is the best of the lot of them & the player you can build a side around. I rate him as high as Weagles fans rate Reid.
JHF has got IT. Just a pure footballer's footballer, and someone you know will crack in in a GF.

I'd be absolutely filthy if I were a North supporter that the club couldn't make it work.

He'll definitely be a star over the next decade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back