Preview 2024 AFLM Round One: Fremantle versus Brisbane (Sunday 17/3)

Remove this Banner Ad

No confidence in this game at all. Our opponents have already a tough game under their belt and we come in cold

I am also worried about JLos game plan. Has he made the necessary changes? Not from what we have seen in the pre-season it seems,
For me it’s the personnel. No wingers is going to disrupt any game plan. Young may have to play defence rather than midfield.
Who takes Darcy spot, which again disrupts the forward line.

Brisbane have no one out other than Coleman, even then Fremantle can’t exploit that due to lack of small/medium forwards.

Really wish the club has tempered expectations.

Sharp and Freddy as wings is what I would have done had I been coaching them as juniors.

That said, my coaching career could be written about on an aspirin with a jackhammer.

But they have wheels and they’re up close to the punters on the boundary, dazzling them with boyish good looks and impeccable physiques.

Gees pot kettle black from Neale. He’s the epitome of selfish footballer. See ball get ball but quality distributor. Doesn’t run well defensively as there’s always a player blocking for him or covering his man. Same as Fyfe. To come out and say that teammates are selfish could backfire.
I think it’s a single digit margin to lions 🦁 but gees I’m quietly hoping that lions go 0-2. Longest flight in AFL

I don’t think the AFL realise how much of an advantage teams that played Opening Round get when they play a team that haven’t played anything but scratchies for the entire preseason. Brisbane essentially get a free game to dust off the cobwebs and iron out deficiencies in their game early - unfortunately it’s hard to see a way we win this one.

Hopefully we put up a fight and make it close, I think Youngy will get votes.

I don’t think the AFL realise how much of an advantage teams that played Opening Round get when they play a team that haven’t played anything but scratchies for the entire preseason. Brisbane essentially get a free game to dust off the cobwebs and iron out deficiencies in their game early - unfortunately it’s hard to see a way we win this one.

Hopefully we put up a fight and make it close, I think Youngy will get votes.
Maybe, we'll know after the weekend whether it helped.
AFL as usual couldn't do something as simple as have all those teams play another round zero team.
It's fkd, but also not really relevant in the context of our season. The challenge is immense anyway.
We play OK vs Brisbane, so still hopeful of a win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This question also puzzles us outsiders., Obviously Jackson can step up, but will you play two rucks? If so, who else?
Not even we know! The sentiment is that neither backup is good enough, so we'll play Jackson as a solo ruck and bring in an extra forward. There's also a small chance we play McDonald and send Cox forward.

Reading the tea leaves it looks like Taberner may be the one selected. But really, no one has a clue.

Can you loan us back Lloyd Meek for a couple of games?

Not even we know! The sentiment is that neither backup is good enough, so we'll play Jackson as a solo ruck and bring in an extra forward. There's also a small chance we play McDonald and send Cox forward.

Reading the tea leaves it looks like Taberner may be the one selected. But really, no one has a clue.

Can you loan us back Lloyd Meek for a couple of games?
And with it being a Sunday game, and extended benches named, we won't know today either.

JL with Rhino in an interview yesterday said they want to keep the structure of 2 Rucks and 3 key forwards, so they will either go with Reidy main ruck and Jack backup, or Jacko main ruck and Treacy back up. (with another key forward filling in for Treacy).
So selection will come down to Reidy, or Tabs/Voss as 3rd tall.

JL with Rhino in an interview yesterday said they want to keep the structure of 2 Rucks and 3 key forwards, so they will either go with Reidy main ruck and Jack backup, or Jacko main ruck and Treacy back up. (with another key forward filling in for Treacy).
So selection will come down to Reidy, or Tabs/Voss as 3rd tall.
I still hope they'd consider McDonald alongside Voss and Tabs for that third tall. He is a much more versatile swingman that can play at both ends and ruck a bit, he's shown as much as the other two in the preseason, and he'd be cover for Cox if Cox can't get through a whole game in his comeback

I still hope they'd consider McDonald alongside Voss and Tabs for that third tall. He is a much more versatile swingman that can play at both ends and ruck a bit, he's shown as much as the other two in the preseason, and he'd be cover for Cox if Cox can't get through a whole game in his comeback
I know it won't happen, but the thought of including OMac and allowing Cox to play a third tall role up front is really intriguing.

Cox just has that latent unpredictability in him that he could somehow snag 4-5 goals and be a matchwinner.

I hope the concept of him being a legit swingman is not totally discounted by JL.

I know it won't happen, but the thought of including OMac and allowing Cox to play a third tall role up front is really intriguing.

Cox just has that latent unpredictability in him that he could somehow snag 4-5 goals and be a matchwinner.

I hope the concept of him being a legit swingman is not totally discounted by JL.
Agreed on all counts. It's a bummer we didn't get to try it out in the preseason games with the Cox injury

For me it’s the personnel. No wingers is going to disrupt any game plan.
Has there been a side more casual in their attitude towards wingers and their retention or recruitment? I'm at the point where I can't agree that our game plan has significant dependency on wingers.

We value inside mids, defenders and rucks.

With Jackson going in the ruck he needs to stay there until Darcy is back keep a forwardline of

Sturt. Treacy. Voss

Federick. Amiss. Walters/emmett

Remove this Banner Ad

Back